Thread: Conquestus Faction preview thread

Default Conquestus Faction preview thread

Welcome to the faction previews

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    Please check this thread from time to time as we plan to preview our factions here

Conquestus Britanniae back story.

When the last of the Roman army left Coel Hen (Coel the Old), wore the title as the Comes Britannia and he most likely based himself at York. As the Comes, he was simply promulgating the Roman military system in Britain. A similar example could be seen with Aegidius after 459AD and then later Syagrius in Gaul. Through military valor and wisdom he maintained British supremacy in the North repelling the invasions that occurred. After his death the Roman authority rapidly decayed and the Roman Provinces began to fracture into smaller British Kingdoms. The British Kingdoms began to take matters into their own hands with many of their leaders proclaiming a royal ancestry to legitimize their power. Coel Hen became the progenitor of several kingly lines in the Hen Ogledd. But a most powerful kingdom rose in Powys under Vitalinus. The British civitates now no longer acting on any Roman authority elected Vitalinus as the overlord King (The Vortigern) of all the British Kingdoms.Under Vortigern Powys had prospered and it became the most influential kingdom within Britain. Vericonium, one of the few surviving cities of its time in Powys, was restored and benefited strategically with its central position next to the River Severn. From his power base in Powys, Vortigern began to consolidate his power by the old Roman practice of using foederati with the price of granting them lands within Britain. At his royal center at Vericonium, he strengthened his position. Re-introducing the Comes Britannia(Protector or Guletic) he granted the title to Cunnedda, a very powerful sub king from the Northern Votadini tribe of the Gododdin, to be in charge of Britain's mobile field army. He became Cunneda's father-in-law by giving him his daughter's hand in marriage and allowed some of the Votadini nobles to resettle some of their people in Gaelic, Scotti settled lands in Wales. He gave the Scotti within Wales foederati status and created dynastic ties with prominent Scotti families there that were linked to the High kings(Ard Ri) from across the sea. To combat the dire situation in the north due to the Pict invasions he continued the foederati practice and hired Anglo-Saxon mercenaries to crush them. He rewarded their successes with British lands to settle in. As the Anglo-Saxon settlements grew and increased in numbers so did the price to keep them happy. Vortigern created dynastic ties with them by marrying a Saxon princess and thus for the time being, keeping the peace.Under Ambrosious the Elder the heavily influenced Roman Kingdom of Dummonia in the south remained to some extent autonomous. Dummonia's influence extended eastward to London and into the Gallic lands of Brittany. During the first of the Anglo-Saxon rebellions it is likely that this Ambrosius and many of the Romans in their occupied estates were targeted for their potential wealth thus perishing in the initial onslaught. Following the destructive assault the survivors gather together under the leadership of a young Ambrosius, who is described as "a gentleman who, perhaps alone of the Romans, had survived the shock of this notable storm". Dismayed at the destruction to his lands he asserted his power and waged a civil war against the forces of Vortigern winning a decisive battle of Guoloph in the year 459AD. By the year 460AD Vortigern abdicated the throne, and retreated to one of his strongholds, possibly in one of the Irish held regions in Western Wales. Ambrosius, consolidating his power, built a Royal residence, perhaps a "Capital" of sorts, reoccupying and refortifying the Iron Age hillfort of Cadbury Castle in Somerset, a base where he could launch his counter offensives and campaigns against the Anglo-Saxons.

The British people longing for a unified Britain rallied behind their kingdom's leader with the hope that he may become the Protector, or even their high King other than a Vortigern. From the increasing Gaelic influence and presence would emerge an Ard Ri (or Arth Ru in Welsh), an Arthur that would bring stability and prosperity to their torn lands once again.From all these very different regions the valor of a historical King Arthur manifested itself along with other heroes and villains alike. From one of these British kingdoms the leaders and their heirs will have the ability to become a Protector of Britannia(Comes Britannia) and then the Arthur(Arth Ru), a title as the High King of Britannia. As an example, the Ambrosius faction(Regnum Britanniae Imperium) will be represented by Ambrosious Aurelious and an heir with a description of the circumstances that surround them in an historical event. After uniting key British areas , the building of 5 great fortresses, and the acquiring of key ancillaries that ends with the Arth Ru, the British champion will then be proclaimed the mighty King Arthur, King of the Britons...

5 British factions in all have a genuine historical claim to a King Arthur. The faction leaders and heirs contributed historically to the truth to who he was. So let one of them try and prove it through one of their best Arthurian historical candidates

Preview One-The Votadini

Faction background.

The proud ancestors of the later Gododdin people known for their fierceness in battle and heroics in an early poem Y Gododdin, as attributed to by Aneirin. Cunnedda Wldeg, the Dragon of the North, early in the 5th century, with the blessings and of the once powerful Vortigern, has settled half of his people in the northern sections of Wales, now known as Gwynedd, with the freedom to rid Gaelic and Scotti settlers from British soil and the right to claim those lands for his people. Now with Vortigern gone, as a strong faction they will not sit back and watch others pick the royal crop clean. But they are not the only British people that will not wait for another to take what they think is now theirs. From their original base at Din Edyn and the newly settled areas of Gywenedd they hope to unite and rule Britannia under the Wldeg Dragon Banner.

Votadini starting lands and faction symbol

Starting map position.

Faction units.

Taken from in game.

Saethwyr, 'archers' are the basic bowmen of brythonic armies.

Ardu, 'levies', were the poorest soldiers available to a commander, these levies being made up the lowest members of society.

Mintai Saethwyr Archers

These warriors are well known in Late Roman armies as Sagitarri. They are horse archers, but they can charge if needed.

Marchomawr, 'heavy cavalry', the most famous warriors of a Briton army.

Briton_heavyspear

marchog safwywyr, light cavalry.

safwywyr, javelin infantry

Briton medium cavalry.

llong ryfel Infantry.

Chodaoer Pike Infantry.

Merc Spear levy

Mintai Ymosodol Infantry

Faction unit info cards.

Faction unit battle cards. Cards enlarged.

Faction leader on strat map.

Battle !!!

The IB2 Team

The IB2 Team:

Mod-forums leader
    Ramon Gonzales y Garcia

Mod-forums leader with the absence of Ramon
    Buildings-Historical Research
    Riothamus

Co Mod Leader of IB2 CB
    Units and models
    midnite

Units and models
    Absinthia

gigantus
    Installation

Lead IB2 Mapper
    MathiasOfAthens

Lead IB2 2D Artist
    Char

2D Artist
    Athelstan

Lead IB2 Historical Ideas
    Absinthia

Lead IB2 Beta Tester
    Imperiumiv

Lead IB2 Music
    Position Vacant, PM Rio

Arthurian Expert advise
    Agraes

AnthoniusII
    Historical + Mod Advice

IB2 Conquestus Brittanniae Forum on TWC.

Please post any questions or comments on thread, please let us know what you would like to see in our next preview.

Final thoughts.

The IB2 team hoped you enjoyed the first faction preview, and that it gives a flavour of the mods progression. Please note the IB2 team may change certain features of this preview or mod content and this is still wip. Thank you all
    Last edited by Riothamus; July 21, 2010 at 08:02 PM.

Default Re: Conquestus Faction preview thread

Good work and + rep!

Magister Militum Flavius Aetius's Avatar δούξ θρᾳκήσιου
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

Great job fellas! +rep
    Just a question... What file format did you use for some of these images, as not all of them are visible. Also you spelled Aegidius and Syagrius wrong.... . Next time do an Anglo saxon faction, like the frisians. Kind of alternate it so it's RB, Saxon/DoS/Germanic, Celtic faction.
    I don't see any mentions of Aetius' Lieuteanant Germanus' visits to Britan in 429 to deal with the pelagian issue and win support for Aetius with the civil war starting, or his visit in 446 to adress the Groans of the Britons and to win support for aetius in preperation for attila's eventual invasion. (This also gives me the Idea that Aetius may have sent some ships to bring RBish troops across the channel to fight attila)
    Last edited by Magister Militum Flavius Aetius; July 21, 2010 at 07:02 AM.

Teutonic's Avatar Ordinarius

Fantastic! Clearly time working on the mod was very well spent. But, to be honest, I was hoping for a release rather than previews. The preview itself is great and very thorough, +rep

Great work all over the place!
    +rep

Quote Originally Posted by Magistri Militum FlaviusAetius View Post
    Great job fellas! +rep

I don't see any mentions of Aetius' Lieuteanant Germanus' visits to Britan in 429 to deal with the pelagian issue and win support for Aetius with the civil war starting, or his visit in 446 to adress the Groans of the Britons and to win support for aetius in preperation for attila's eventual invasion. (This also gives me the Idea that Aetius may have sent some ships to bring RBish troops across the channel to fight attila)

First of all thank you Aetius for your continued interest. Much of what has been displayed is still a WIP and many loose ends need to be tightened up. Spelling corrected..Saying that most of what your saying here is conjecture and some of what we have added is conjecture but its best to back up your statements if you want me to seriously look at your statements..If your opinion then fine, thats ok

-I wanted to point out that faction unit ideas and descriptions are greatly influenced by the RTW Arthurian mod but midnite has brilliantly brought them to life for us in the IB2 Britanniae mod. Many descriptions are still WIP but much has been done.

-char has put together a wonderful preview for us and they will only get better.

-Lastly, I want to salute Ramon Gonzales y Garcia, the creator and leader of our IB2. Sometime shortly after the Vandals campaigns release, Ramon vacated his position to I believe focus on his family and new promising career. Without him, none of this would have been possible. In his chair I've tried and will continue to try to carry on the excellence with which Ramon led. From his tall shoulders to stand upon, and with such a great team to rely upon, the IB2 team will continue to move forward...Thank You, Ramon Gonzales y Garcia.

Enjoy
    Last edited by Riothamus; July 21, 2010 at 08:42 PM.

Under the esteemed patronage of Ramon Gonzales y Garcia IB and IB2 Mod

Thank You, Ramon Gonzales y Garcia
    I join in on these thanks, without him I wouldnt have had the chance to contribute to this mod.

I know many people wish strongly for a release, but I´d think they would also wish for a really play-/ enjoyable, balanced, well presented ... just overall already good one. So patience is needed and will hopefully pay of.

I´d also like to add a big THX to char who did but alot of time into this, whish he could have (and probably wished) invested in other things.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

Quote Originally Posted by Riothamus View Post
    First of all thank you Aetius for your continued interest. Much of what has been displayed is still a WIP and many loose ends need to be tightened up. Spelling corrected..Saying that most of what your saying here is conjecture and some of what we have added is conjecture but its best to back up your statements if you want me to seriously look at your statements..If your opinion then fine, thats ok

-I wanted to point out that faction unit ideas and descriptions are greatly influenced by the RTW Arthurian mod but midnite has brilliantly brought them to life for us in the IB2 Britanniae mod. Many descriptions are still WIP but much has been done.

-char has put together a wonderful preview for us and they will only get better.

-Lastly, I want to salute Ramon Gonzales y Garcia, the creator and leader of our IB2. Sometime shortly after the Vandals campaigns release, Ramon vacated his position to I believe focus on his family and new promising career. Without him, none of this would have been possible. In his chair I've tried and will continue to try to carry on the excellence with which Ramon led. From his tall shoulders to stand upon, and with such a great team to rely upon, the IB2 team will continue to move forward...Thank You, Ramon Gonzales y Garcia.

Enjoy
    No problem Rio, Germanus of Auxerre was in Britan in 429 and 446, i can gaurentee that, primarily to fight peleagianism but as a secondary objective to win support for Aetius... I need to check the source on this, lemme find it and I'll edit this post.

EDIT:
    The principal source for the events of his life is the hagiography written by Constantius of Lyon around 480. Constantius was a friend of Bishop Lupus of Troyes, who accompanied Germanus to Britain, which provided him with a link to Germanus.
    Quoted from wikipedia, but these are the sources
    Last edited by Magister Militum Flavius Aetius; July 22, 2010 at 01:35 PM.

Compliments for your work.
    I look forward the relise date.

The strat map models of those cities look very nice, =P , i am glad to see my work being put to use, specially in IBII! good luck!!
    Contribuitor IBIICB-WOTN-Modeler-Scripter

Quote Originally Posted by Icedie El Guaraní View Post
    The strat map models of those cities look very nice, =P , i am glad to see my work being put to use, specially in IBII! good luck!!
    We Thank You Icedie El Guaraní They are beautiful!

Under the esteemed patronage of Ramon Gonzales y Garcia IB and IB2 Mod

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

Great Job El Guarani +rep
    Just checking again, the Domain of Soissons Formed when Avitus was killed/deposed in 456/7 And then on/off supported Majoran but Broke away forever in 461.
    Also, another good example is Marcellinus and Illyria in 454.
    Last edited by Magister Militum Flavius Aetius; July 28, 2010 at 06:57 AM.

Thanks El Guarani - your work is indeed beautiful. And so the thanks belongs to you!
    Absinthia brought it in with some other work from the unfortunatly dead VLL.

Nice to see you somewhat active again.

@ Icedie
    nice to see you again mate, even though for a short visit.
    Hr. Alf han hugg til han var mod, Han sto i femten Ridderes Blod; Så tog han alle de Kogger ni Og sejlede dermed til Norge fri. Og der kom tidende til Rostock ind, Der blegned saa mangen Rosenkind. Der græd Enker og der græd Børn, Dem hadde gjort fattig den skadelige Ørn.
    Anders Sørensen Vedel

too bad i wont be entering the forum as often as i use to , but i'll be checking this mob , i will probably wanna play it when its ready, kudos @bsintia your models are great, and congratz to the rest of the team, keep it up guys.
    Contribuitor IBIICB-WOTN-Modeler-Scripter

Thank you for the best wishes, and thanks again for allowing as to make use of some of your work - with that considered its also "your mod"!