Thread: Imperial Campaign start up crash...

Kylie's Avatar Tiro

Default Imperial Campaign start up crash...

Hi

I'm using the latest version of XGM with a clean install of RTW 1.5. Here's my prob, i start up the game, go to Imperial Campaign, select my faction, click on the start button and the game crashes; dumping me back on the desktop with no explanation apart from "windows has encountered an unexpected problem"

Any help would be great, cuz i aint got a clue.
    Last edited by Kylie; July 20, 2010 at 08:22 AM.
    *****ing A! Run fer it!!!

DimeBagHo's Avatar Praeses

Default Re: Imperial Campaign start up crash...

The most likely cause is that your original game files were messed up in some way (possibly by another mod). In that case you will need to re-install RTW, re-patch, and then re-install XGM. It's also possible that the XGM install was messed up in some way, in which case running the installer again should fix the problem.

Kylie's Avatar Tiro

Nah man, Iv'e tried two fresh installs with all the patches and XGM and it's still not working. Vanilla RTW works fine though, so it's probably something to do with the mod.
    *****ing A! Run fer it!!!

Check your version number - it's shown on the top right corner of the options menu in-game. Sometimes the patches fail to update your game, even if you run the right ones.

Might be worth updating your graphics drivers as well.
    Last edited by DimeBagHo; July 30, 2010 at 03:34 AM.

Hopefully not reviving a too long dead thread or anything, but I've had the same issue. I (reasonably) recently replaced version 5.8.x with 5.9.11, and now the game crashes when I start the campaign. I have since uninstalled, deleted all remnants and reinstalled, but the issue continues.

Patches aren't an issue, as my lovely Gold Edition is fulled patched in the box. I'll check my drivers, but I can't see why it would crash XGM but not RTW/BI/my own modding efforts (all fully modfoldered, by the way)

That does sound like a problem some people were having when I first released the beta for 5.9.x. If you do manage to solve it I'd very much like to know how.

I've had the same error that Kylie and Drakontos have. As soon as I pick my faction, the game crashes to desktop. I have; however, been able to do provincial campaigns no problem. It seems the problem is only for imperial campaigns.

If you've had this problem could you post here the version of Windows you are using and two files from your XGM install: (1) [rtw]/xgm/data/xgmversion.txt and (2) install.log which will have been created in the location that you ran the installer from.

I'm on Windows Vista (Home Edition, I think), and have attached the xgmversion.txt. The log wouldn't attach, so I just copy-pasted it into a new txt document (xgminstalllog.txt). Presumably that won't cause any issues.

A thought - I'm not sure, but could the error be caused by Vista being funny about editing things in the Program Files Folder? I might reinstall RTW in a new folder outside of that directory, and see if it helps...

Drakontos: Thanks. Can you also try installing just the RTW version of XGM and testing that to see if the same problem occurs?

knguyen_93's Avatar Civis

Quote Originally Posted by Drakontos View Post
    I'm on Windows Vista (Home Edition, I think), and have attached the xgmversion.txt. The log wouldn't attach, so I just copy-pasted it into a new txt document (xgminstalllog.txt). Presumably that won't cause any issues.

A thought - I'm not sure, but could the error be caused by Vista being funny about editing things in the Program Files Folder? I might reinstall RTW in a new folder outside of that directory, and see if it helps...
    Okay u have that problem because of conflict between more than 1 different mod on RTW, follow this
    check show hidden files in Control Panel >>> Folder option, go 2 "Your account name" (for example mine is "Christopher H. Nguyen")>>>AppData>>>Local>>>VirtualStore>>>ProgramFiles>>>Activision>>>Rome Total War. Then delete every thing in there. After all re-install the whole thing. Everything will start fine. Add reputation for me if you think this is useful
    Last edited by knguyen_93; September 25, 2010 at 06:45 PM.
    Đông Doanh Đệ Nhất Tiểu Suất Ca-Thạch Mỹ Na Tử

Thanks for the suggestion knguyen, I think that is almost certainly the problem. When people first described the problem I thought it sounded exactly like what happens when you try to start a campaign with an out of date version of map.rwm but I couldn't figure out where the old version of the file was hiding.

I'll do some more research and see if I can get the installer to clean out the virtual store automatically.

I've made a new version of the installer, which you can get here: (*removed* use the latest version)

This should fix the problem with Vista hiding files in the virtual store, but I can't test it because I don't have vista. So if someone who has this problem could try it out and let me know whether it solves the problem, that would be great.
    Last edited by DimeBagHo; September 27, 2010 at 02:11 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by DimeBagHo View Post
    I've made a new version of the installer, which you can get here: http://www.wmwiki.com/hosted/xgm/XGM_5_9_12.exe

This should fix the problem with Vista hiding files in the virtual store, but I can't test it because I don't have vista. So if someone who has this problem could try it out and let me know whether it solves the problem, that would be great.
    I will try it when get home back from work , nice job dime

It works! Many thanks Knguyen and Dime! As an added bonus, selecting 'landbridges on' actually resulted in there being landbridges this time!

Quote Originally Posted by DimeBagHo View Post
    tu tu tu, the download link is death, Dime dont upload the installer yet, let add recruitable general for barbarian faction
    @All, can any1 explain what happened here 2 me?

knguyen: It used to be possible to give positive and negative rep. Now it should only be possible to give positive rep, but for some reason (a bug) it occasionally shows up as negative.