Thread: moor questions

Default moor questions

Hi Guys!

I’m new to this forum and wanted to thank everybody working on this mod for their great work.

I’m currently playing as the moors and i’ve got some questions.
    After a little “googling” I found sources that the early Moorish warfare derived from the wf of nomadic tribes … so that means : every loss hurts if you want to survive in desert regions … so … no armor, be fast, strike from the distance and … since the enemy will probably use the same strategy … at least defend yourself with a big shield!
    After they came to spain they began to adopt a more western style of warfare. Less javelins more spears and armor… and of course “heavy” cavalry

I also found sources that Slavic slaves were used.

Is that true?

I’m just asking because I want to know if my current faction changes are not completely fantasy
    -Christian Guards are now mercenaries (I just don’t think that there were that much Christian knights in al-Andalus … mercenaries of course…like varagian guard)
    -Added a new saqaliba unit to the roster (I currently use Lithuanian noble sons as soldiers and made them a late professional unit and removed Moorish axemen)
    -Removed the desert raiders (reason … text above )
    -Replaced them with Sudanese tribesmen
    -Removed Arabian infantry and cavalry(the Arabs were the “top” of the society … so I don’t think they would serve as light armored spearmen since the mass of the troops were berbers, Sudanese and Slavic slaves, Christian mercenaries
    -Added Andalusian infantry as a local unit
    -Removed Hashishim
    -Added camel archers

Things to do
    -Mod most infantry units to use big shields (especially lamtuna and Nubian spearmen)
    -And on and on and on…

What do you think??

Thanks for help,

Default Re: moor questions

Sounds pretty reasonable. Its acknowledged that all the Islamic factions could do with some attention.

Artifex

Default Re: moor questions

This thing about Christian Guard from vanilla is just absurd. As if the moors would have lacked heavy cavalry themselves. I also changed their name.

-Added Andalusian infantry as a local unit
    -Added camel archers
    -Mod most infantry units to use big shields (especially lamtuna and Nubian spearmen)
    Sounds good. These things would be a nice change in RC/RR I think.
    I also found sources that Slavic slaves were used.

Is that true?
    No idea, I have never heard of it. But slave trade at the time was widespread and the Mediterranean Sea allowed fast transports (fast at the time) from eastern to western Europe.