Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: [Release] Shorter turn time mod(optimized script)

Default [Release] Shorter turn time mod(optimized script)

The shorter turn time mod, for Stainless Steel

Description

This is a small mod for Stainless Steel RR/RC (Note that I aim to make a regular 6.2 release.) that aims to improve the wait time between player turns by optimizing the campaign script by removing in my opinion unnecessary events. I have removed large part of the script, removing such things as announcements for princesses, kings, capital falls, fairs, troubadours, pirates and a few other things. As these had a marginal effect on game play and increased turn time by a noticeable bit.
    Anything with larger effect such as uprisings faction emergence etc. if of course left a lone and is still in the script.
    I have found this to noticeably decrease the wait time between turns, though it is no miracle cure for the long turn times. It is a rather huge map after all!
    I have been playing with these modifications for a while and thought that might be more out these that would appreciate shorter turn times over few nice, but superfluous script functions.
    I have done some play testing with this, a couple of campaigns, so it should work.

Versions

Currently this is only compatible with RR/RC, however if some one would upload the campaign script files for regular 6.2 I wouldn't mind making a version for that.
    I'm not quite sure about compatibility with the latest release of RR/RC though, it should work, but I have heard of Pointplank including some new features such as garrison scripts will will naturally be missing.
    But the same thing goes for this upload the latest script files and I will have a go at modifying them, for a completely up to date campaign script.

Please note that this is not save game compatible!

Installation

Go to.
    ...\Medieval II Totalwar\mods\Stainless_Steel_6\Data\world\maps\campaign
    (Optional) Rename the files \imperial_campaign\campaign_script.txt, \custom\Late_era_campaign\custom_script.txt, and \custom\1450_campaign\custom_script.txt
    In order to create backups (recommended!)

Now download the attached .zip archive. Extract the files. Inside you will find two folders named "custom" and "imperial_campaign" copy these folders.
    Now paste these folders into the folder mentioned above (ie. ...\maps\campaign), when asked if you want to merge folders, answer yes for all. When asked if you want to overwrite files select yes for all.
    Any questions on installation or anything else, please post here and I will answer as soon as possible.

Caesar Clivus's Avatar SS Forum Moderator

Default Re: [Release] Shorter turn time mod(optimized script)

Moved to RR/RC forum to avoid confusion

BftB2 UPDATED 22nd DECEMBER. Member of the Complete Byzantine Unit Roster team

Re reading the post, I think I may have explained the function a bit vaguely. It doesn't shorten the time it takes to play a turn for the player. Rather It reduces the time it take for the AI to play their turns, making for shorter waits of doing nothing and waiting for it to be your turn again.

hippacrocafish's Avatar Campidoctor

Quote Originally Posted by Snelhest View Post
    Re reading the post, I think I may have explained the function a bit vaguely. It doesn't shorten the time it takes to play a turn for the player. Rather It reduces the time it take for the AI to play their turns, making for shorter waits of doing nothing and waiting for it to be your turn again.
    I think the "Not save game compatible" is driving people away.

I think this is a fantastic idea. While I do appreciate many of the additional announcement features in the game it would be nice to save real life time by reducing the wait times

I'll have to give this a test to see how much time is reduced for me. Snelhest, what was your average wait turn and how much was it reduced by with these changes?
    Wealth beyond measure, Outlander.

For me, I also deleted the Assimilation Script as well, it has 10000 code lines there, my turn wait time now is 20 seconds in early campaign!

Thats a very good idea chrono, I've cut my turn wait times by about 20-30% using the current version of the edited script (mileage may vary). Though removing that would really cut it down, the assimilation script is about half the script file.
    On the other hand it is something that actually impacts game play noticeably, well interesting to try out, removing all these things should give minimal wait times!

Actually i also deleted the looting script together with the assimilation script, they together has almost 10000 code lines , and they just give u money when u kills enemy's army and restrict you to build after capturing settlements, it is not necessary for me.

I've noticed that early era campaign has a faster turn waits time(10-15sec) than the late/1450 campaign(20-30sec) although the no. of code lines are almost the same in these campaign, anyone knows why?

Well script isn't the only thing slowing down the turn time, the later campaign usually has more armies moving around more battle etc thus taking more time. Some script parts probably takes longer to run as well with these extra units etc. Or at least that is what I'm guessing at.
    Lets give removing the assimilation script and see how it runs, 10k lines of script less should further speed things up considerably, might even get near to vanilla turn times.

Quote Originally Posted by Snelhest View Post
    Currently this is only compatible with RR/RC, however if some one would upload the campaign script files for regular 6.2 I wouldn't mind making a version for that.
    Might be faster to download the 6.2 patch and point it to C:\Temp. As a bonus you also get the trait files etc for reference.
    I also recommend the "decrease turn time" topics that are floating around here for other tips on things to include.

Quote Originally Posted by chrono672 View Post
    For me, I also deleted the Assimilation Script as well, it has 10000 code lines there, my turn wait time now is 20 seconds in early campaign!
    Erase who the what now? I'd like to know how you did that good sir.

The last half of the campaign script pretty much is only the Assimilation script, it's a small script a mere 10 000 lines or so
    Most likely one would be able to simply erase those lines without anything else faling to work, not like anything is coded to depend on it? Will give it a go.

Quote Originally Posted by bane_tw View Post
    Might be faster to download the 6.2 patch and point it to C:\Temp. As a bonus you also get the trait files etc for reference.
    I also recommend the "decrease turn time" topics that are floating around here for other tips on things to include.
    Good idea, could turn it into a much more comprehensive mod including other various tweaks.
    Stainless steel really is a great mod, but if it has one weakness it is the time it takes for the AI's turns, even with a powerful machine.

sound good

I have CTD in 58 turns

Quote Originally Posted by Ruda_STR View Post
    I have CTD in 58 turns
    Either you played 50 turns in one hour or you didn't restart your campaign. If you did restart I think a system log would be apreciated.

Could someone elaborate on what this assimilation script thing is? And does the current download erase it?

Alpha Zeke's Avatar Vicarius

Quote Originally Posted by hippacrocafish View Post
    Could someone elaborate on what this assimilation script thing is? And does the current download erase it?
    The assimilation script is:
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    -Assimilation Script by Germanicu5 now in effect:
    Outline: The intention is to create a more challenging process of conquering provinces, so now upon capture of a settlement there'll be anything between 10-25% additional turmoil (to reflect the actual resistance people would make during first turns), followed by lower default religious conversion. That'll mean a garrison will need to stay a while longer and the populace won't find the switch so appealing.

Individual religion conversion rates for all settlements on the map can be added, which gives us an opportunity to reflect how (non) conservative a certain populace is.

The last feature is that a player can't build/repair/retrain anything in a settlement during 1st turn after conquering it - which reflects the actual time to establish new administration in a conquered province.

Conversion rates lowered/turmoil added for original capitals, conversion rates almost nullified for great religious centres. Lithuania and TO territories have lower conversion rates too.

To elaborate on it, when you take a city there will be more or less resistence based on the cities people. You need to compensate by slowing down your campaigning and keeping a larger garrison there (or more priests etc.) to bring down the public hate for their new ruler. I personally haven't tried it yet
    But no idea about the download and its effect on it.

This is really very easy to do yourself but I must praise the OP for actually taking the time to upload the disemboweled campaign script.

anyway the issue comes in the variety for various people, having one that removes some of the basic notices is cool for some people, others don't like the assimilation script, others don't like the looting script, some hate them all.

so having a couple different versions would be good. and allow for people to increase turn speed a little bit but keep the assimilate script or the looting script, as well as a version that removes the assimilate and looting scripts altogether. which is my choice (no offense to script maker) juts not my cup of tea.

How do you made religion conversion rate even more slow because it was never easy to covert people. it should take decades and century's.

Quote Originally Posted by lordyu View Post
    How do you made religion conversion rate even more slow because it was never easy to covert people. it should take decades and century's.
    How is that related to the mod? Thats question to look up or to ask for at the mod workshop...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast