Page 49 of 62 FirstFirst ... 24394041424344454647484950515253545556575859 ... LastLast

Thread: Myth The Fallen Lords-total war

Default Re: Myth The Fallen Lords-total war/Undead preview(first post)

interesting review;

the bandit capitains - i had the same thoughts back then.

morale - if there had been something like morale in myth, i am sure the undead morale (exept for the shades) would be unbreakable because it's just "realistic", like other implemented stuff in the game - like the ability to hide in water without the need of air or the ability of the wight's to sacrifice themselfes.

dark forces variant - as far as i know, the thralls are resurected by balor himself - exept for balor, the watcher was the only fallen lord who learned the "dream of undead" and could resurect thralls + of course the shades under his command (shades are able to use the abilitys of their master to a certain extend). remember the mission in myth 1, were the watcher was turned to stone and abandoned by balor, while his shades tried to defend his body by ressurecting an army of undead.

but in myth 2, soulblighter was finally able to ressurect undead too...and the myrkridia/summoner-stuf was triggered by soulblighter (maybe the myrkridia could be a unit wich only soulblighter can recruit in larger numbers)

so i think it wouldn't conflict with the lore to have different unit stats for the fallen lords, but there are few information about this - the fallen lords were "just" the generals of balors army in the first place, even if they turned against each other sometimes, they were using the same troops from the same source (exept maybe for the watcher and soulblighter).

units - i havent played the beta, so i cant say much to this topic.

peasants - in the games, peasants get butchered by ghôls. they were unarmed, but i think ghôls should be able to deal with peasants/militia-units.

warriors - the idea of recruiting larger units in the late game is great. even if this is not archieved via scripting, it's a nice idea.

journeymen - in "the third age" some generals have a cooldown ability.

thrall - hm. in the games, they were using axes only. but it is an old game, so more weapon variants should not conflict with the background. but i think that every myth-player thinks about an thrall with a greataxe if he hears the word "thrall", so - variations are always great, but the most thralls should use the good old greataxe for nostalgic reasons. ^^

soulless - in the myth-games, they are slow and fragile...but can hover over places so that non-ranged units can't attack them. i dont think this is modable, so maybe they need to be a bit faster as we know them (or got more defense).

fetch - fetches could always be killed without much effort because of their short range and slow movement - but when they got in range for just 1 or 2 attacks, your army was gone. the possibility of accidently killing your own units with a fetch is a must-have, i think they should get the skirmish-ability because they had a minimum attack range if i remember this right (they try to get away if you manage to come very close, if i remember this right)

shades - in the myth-world, everyone who is able to use dream-magic has superior physics, so they should be hard to kill, even in close combat. this is the only undead unit which should not get an unbreakable morale - shades have their own thoughts and soulblighter once got betrayed by one of his own shades, so a shade fleeing from the battlefield should be a rare sight, but it should be possible.
    Last edited by Chrysantheme; March 21, 2012 at 06:27 AM.
    "Don't listen to me, i am just an inferior german who is not allowed to play a game with blood."

"Since i have discovered a way to play a game with blood as a german, you should take even more care not to listen to me, because i am something like a criminal now."

Quote Originally Posted by MrrRandomDude View Post
    Always did like to myth series Bungie did great on the first two I hope everything goes good with the mod. Do you have a team i know it was just you when you started but are you still working alone?
    Sorry MrrRandomDude, I've missed this one.

I think i can say that I'm not working alone. X4V3R, does an amazing amount of researching and campaign developing work. He shares campaign ideas, lore informations and unit desrciptions, he did sounds and musics for the mod etc.. But in modelling, skinning and animating, still I'm the only one.

@zax

I actually didn't know that topic. Thank you for the hint!

@Chrysantheme
    Answers

the bandit capitains - i had the same thoughts back then.

I don't think I'm gonna change this. At least not anytime soon.

morale - if there had been something like morale in myth, i am sure the undead morale (exept for the shades) would be unbreakable because it's just "realistic", like other implemented stuff in the game - like the ability to hide in water without the need of air or the ability of the wight's to sacrifice themselfes.

I'll change all undeads morale to unbreakable. (Except shades.)

dark forces variant - as far as i know, the thralls are resurected by balor himself - exept for balor, the watcher was the only fallen lord who learned the "dream of undead" and could resurect thralls + of course the shades under his command (shades are able to use the abilitys of their master to a certain extend). remember the mission in myth 1, were the watcher was turned to stone and abandoned by balor, while his shades tried to defend his body by ressurecting an army of undead.

but in myth 2, soulblighter was finally able to ressurect undead too...and the myrkridia/summoner-stuf was triggered by soulblighter (maybe the myrkridia could be a unit wich only soulblighter can recruit in larger numbers)

so i think it wouldn't conflict with the lore to have different unit stats for the fallen lords, but there are few information about this - the fallen lords were "just" the generals of balors army in the first place, even if they turned against each other sometimes, they were using the same troops from the same source (exept maybe for the watcher and soulblighter).
    Different unit stat for the different Fallen lords. This idea came up several times. I like it.

peasants - in the games, peasants get butchered by ghôls. they were unarmed, but i think ghôls should be able to deal with peasants/militia-units.

I think peasant milita against Ghols is almost a fair and square match.

warriors - the idea of recruiting larger units in the late game is great. even if this is not archieved via scripting, it's a nice idea.
    Yes, that's definitely gonna happen.
    journeymen - in "the third age" some generals have a cooldown ability.
    I wonder how it works. I'll ask their developers about it. Thanks

thrall - hm. in the games, they were using axes only. but it is an old game, so more weapon variants should not conflict with the background. but i think that every myth-player thinks about an thrall with a greataxe if he hears the word "thrall", so - variations are always great, but the most thralls should use the good old greataxe for nostalgic reasons. ^^
    Maybe some more variation is possible, but that's all. Great Axes FTW!

soulless - in the myth-games, they are slow and fragile...but can hover over places so that non-ranged units can't attack them. i dont think this is modable, so maybe they need to be a bit faster as we know them (or got more defense).
    Being unable to attack them on high ground is impossible, that's for sure. But this unit definitely needs to be more strong and effective.

fetch - fetches could always be killed without much effort because of their short range and slow movement - but when they got in range for just 1 or 2 attacks, your army was gone. the possibility of accidently killing your own units with a fetch is a must-have, i think they should get the skirmish-ability because they had a minimum attack range if i remember this right (they try to get away if you manage to come very close, if i remember this right)
    They have skirmish ability, I just set them to "start not skirmishing". So it's just a click and you can turn it back on if you want to. Their attack rate should be faster though. Question of animation. Can be done!

shades - in the myth-world, everyone who is able to use dream-magic has superior physics, so they should be hard to kill, even in close combat. this is the only undead unit which should not get an unbreakable morale - shades have their own thoughts and soulblighter once got betrayed by one of his own shades, so a shade fleeing from the battlefield should be a rare sight, but it should be possible.

Yeah, I've noticed. They die easily once they got surrounded. Can be tricky to harden them cause they're 1man/unit. We'll see

>>>ANIMATION PACKS MINI MODS >>> CLICK TO CONTINUE >>>

hey, so is this coming out soon? it looks top class. I have a question about how the fallen lords work in the game. do they have their own unique in fight abilities? eg the deciever could turn 1 light unit to his side every fight, the watcher could summon 2 or three unit of thrall every fight (kind of like an instant reinforcement that would appear right next to him), soulblighter would be really quick and the best melee fighter but wouldnt have any real magical powers (but this would be balanced by the fact that he is the only one who can build/recruit large armies of myrkrida), and Balor had that sort of super powerful and fetch style attack as well as being very tough in melee ( i def think he should be the hardest fallen lord to fight with shiver the weakest). I think this would make each fallen lord fight quite unique and would make you have to think about how to approach each fight with them. ALso do the fallen lords have any effect on light unit morale? it would be cool if the mere presence of them in a fight dealt some sort of -x points of morale for all light units, as if the soldiers were terrified of them. Is any of this even possible?

@Briarius

Hero abilities are easy, file descr_hero_abilities.xml contains all you need.
    Uhm, question, you're working on Kingdoms? right? That give interesting options of udead tech-tree. It can be based on aztec unlockables. Like conquer certain number of settlement, or defeat certain types of armies to gain access to new buildings and units.

Quote Originally Posted by T1N067 View Post
    eg the deciever could turn 1 light unit to his side every fight,
    not so sure, maybe via script but too much of a hassle

the watcher could summon 2 or three unit of thrall every fight (kind of like an instant reinforcement that would appear right next to him)
    can be done via advisor script, something like settlement viewer for TATW.
    soulblighter would be really quick and the best melee fighter but wouldnt have any real magical powers (but this would be balanced by the fact that he is the only one who can build/recruit large armies of myrkrida),
    easy(at least now, after discovery), there is a campaign single Sauron unit, but that would require soulblighter to be elephant mount.
    and Balor had that sort of super powerful and fetch style attack as well as being very tough in melee ( i def think he should be the hardest fallen lord to fight with shiver the weakest).
    same thing, elephant mount, but range attack may be difficult to achieve
    ALso do the fallen lords have any effect on light unit morale? it would be cool if the mere presence of them in a fight dealt some sort of -x points of morale for all light units, as if the soldiers were terrified of them. Is any of this even possible?
    each unit can have extra effects added in EDU file so it's doable

@zax. oh really? well thats cool if at least some of that could work. i assume there is no way to give a unit the combat stats of an elephant without there actually being an elephant then? in a way the effects of an elephant are ideal in terms of the impact they have on an enemy unit and how they send half a dozen guys flying with every swipe rather than just attacking individual guys like a regular unit (sort of like sauron at the start of the lord of the rings). It would make the fallen lords kind stand out from shades as well as their melee combat would prob be more like a standard general unit that you get in the total war games. Unfortunately it would prob look a bit to weird to have the fallen lord units all on elephants if you cant get that effect without the elephant actually being there. i suppose its a bit of a delicate balancing act beween interesting gameply/units and sticking to the lore...

just to add to my previous post, i suppose if elephants were neccessary you could make them some sort of evil looking elephant that the fallen use for their transport like the nazgul in lord of the rings. it would be kind of controversial but i think if you're making a mod you're making a mod you're entitled to a little creative freedom. After all hes already added in horses

Hi

@zax

I do mod Kingdoms, yes. And your idea about undead tech-tree sounds cool.

@T1N067

I believe zax meant, that the unit should be elephant by coding, not an actual elephant unit. In total-war modding there is only one way (.), to have 1man/unit and that is to make that unit an elephant as "type" in the export_descr_unit.txt. plus some other modifiactions.
    Last edited by Briarius; March 22, 2012 at 08:53 AM.

Man, i've read the games storyline yesterday, coud feel the tension in my own skin, the story is brilliant!
    Click on my sig and check out my modelling works! Your opinion is welcome!

Quote Originally Posted by Briarius View Post
    Hi

@zax

I do mod Kingdoms, yes. And your idea about undead tech-tree sounds cool.

@T1N067

I believe zax meant, that the unit should be elephant by coding, not an actual elephant unit. In total-war modding there is only one way (.), to have 1man/unit and that is to make that unit an elephant as "type" in the export_descr_unit.txt. plus some other modifiactions.

ah! well even better then.

Briarius, take a look here lotsa nice ideas and tutorial about heroes abilities if u need it. Definately you should dig through TATW submod section.

We can have 1 man unit by default on small scale units (as long as it's elephant mount), on huge it will increase upto four man. But in TATW guys discovered a way how to have single man unit in campaign, ALWAYS, no matter what unit scale is set.

Damn, i'm so excited to play this mod.
    Last edited by zax; March 22, 2012 at 02:58 PM.

Hi everyone! Phuh, I tought I was gonna be ready with this sooner. Anyway, I think Mauls are done. There are still some fixing to do(weighting, animation..etc), but their generic look is ready. Actually I've never really liked the original bungie unit, and the concept arts I've got from Godzfire, or any other visual references I found were kind of different from each other. I picked the most "pig" like look( first concept art ), and used that as base.

Beta testers know that I didn't do as many upgradeable unit for the dark side as I did for the light. The thralls are the only one actually. Now the dark side got this new mercenary unit with two upgrades. Hope you'll like the screens.

MAUL

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Mauls are huge pigs, shod in steel and clothed in a coat of mail. They wield wooden clubs studded with nails. They are very strong, quite fast and extremely resistant, especially to Dwarven bottles. In groups they become a serious threat.

BASE

By briariuss at 2012-03-25

UPGRADE 1

UPGRADE 2

INGAME SHOTS

I don't really have time now to prepare the mod for upload, and presumably from tomorrow, I'll start a very busy week. Anyway, I'll try to make it somehow during the week, so you can try these guys in action.

EDIT:
    @Conqistador
    Man, i've read the games storyline yesterday, coud feel the tension in my own skin, the story is brilliant!
    It is indeed!

@zax Thanks again for the tip zax!
    Last edited by Briarius; March 25, 2012 at 04:04 PM.

DobroVece's Avatar Senator

Beautiful as always!

The Holy Pilgrim's Avatar In Memory of Blackomur
    Citizen

The Cloven-Hoofed One approves of this development.

Once again you amaze me beyond speech.

Superb job, my friend.
    Congrats.

Louis Lux's Avatar Into the Light
    Patrician

I'm speechless, you are a real pro man.

Briarius. This is simply amaizing... A real pleasure for the sight!
    You are the best!

Thanks guys, I'm glad you like it.
    I took some more ingame screens during testing. Against heron guards and peasants. (maybe I do over-sharpen these images , sorry for that,the original screenshot always seem blurry.)

By briariuss at 2012-03-26

DobroVece's Avatar Senator

Fly peasant, fly! Buhahaha!

GodzFire's Avatar Laetus

paradamed's Avatar Praepositus

Yeah those pigs are great!