Page 23 of 62 FirstFirst ... 13141516171819202122232425262728293031323348 ... LastLast

Thread: Myth The Fallen Lords-total war

The Holy Pilgrim's Avatar In Memory of Blackomur
    Citizen

Default Re: Myth The Fallen Lords-total war/Undead preview(first post)

Those are some of the best, if not the greatest, unit cards I have ever seen!

+rep

Definitely awesome...

So if the campaign remains a mystery, perhaps you can tell us about the pace of battle? Will it be as fast, hectic and arcadish as it is in Total War or slower, both in movement speed (though I'm pretty sure that's hardcoded) and unit damage?

Myth was a rather 'slow' game, and I think it gained alot from it. I've been making a Rome Total War conversion loosely based on the Assyrian era on and off for the past year, the one thing I'm especially happy about is the pace -- battles lasting up to an hour, with a front slowly moving back and forth, AI not routing til all really is lost and MANY more deaths on my side, on account of the entire AI army not fleeing catastrophically seconds after first contact. I know it's probably not to the taste of everyone though.

So? Anything you can tell us about the pace?

Oh, and also

Quote Originally Posted by Heathen Storm View Post
    Sounds like the Fellowship Campaign from Third Age: Total War. So if you like Lord of the Rings, try that out.
    ...I can tell you though, there are parts that are hard as hell and nearly impossible to beat
    Why yes this DOES sound like my kind of game! Thanks!
    Last edited by cih; April 02, 2011 at 12:20 AM.

@Pilgrim. Thank you! I thought these were unit info picture, but maybe I could use them as unit cards as well.
    So if the campaign remains a mystery, perhaps you can tell us about the pace of battle? Will it be as fast, hectic and arcadish as it is in Total War or slower, both in movement speed (though I'm pretty sure that's hardcoded) and unit damage?
    After several test I'd say battles are definetely gonna be slower...two main reasons are the thrall hordes and the morale.

Thrall.There will be a lot of thralls, they walk/run very slow (their attack and almost every other animations are gonna be the same old 2HAxe anims)..they'll never gonna rout(locked morale), so they'll be basically a meat-wall between your units and the deadly Fetches and other ranged units like soulles.

Morale. Even though the light units are lowered in numbers, they're gonna be though as hell. The Berserks are the kind of guys who'd never rout from a battle. The warriors will have really great morale but it can be broken. And since I can't make the journeyman as an actual healer, they are gonna give a nice morale boost to the troops.

This is from a youtube user DynastyLuminous46 but Myth is pretty much means the same to me.

Myth is about darkness against light. Desperate fights. A man in the mud, surrounded by untold enemies, outpaced, slowed from hunger and fatigue. The horrors of battle, the sacrifices needing to be made and the endless bloodshed just to make it to the end of the day, having to wake up again tomorrow in the same mess.
    The only thing I'm gonna be really disappointed about, the blood and explosionmarks on the battlefield.This can't be done in TW.

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

By briariuss at 2011-04-01

Unit speeds arent hardcoded and neither animations

About Journeymen, it would be flavour-ish if instead of being a full unit in campaign, they were the "captain" unit, when you have an unnamed general, so they'd just be leading a regular bodyguard unit, it would also represent their healing skills since after a battle you recover some lost units. And for named generals, they could be an ancilliary which gives +% of casualty recovery. What do you think? Another interesting ancilliary could be The Head! Or evne the watcher's arm!

WOW !

Agreed with Pilgrim !

uk_john's Avatar Ordinarius

Briarius, they are brilliant - keep yp the great work!
    Search THEN ask on these forums!!!

.... and check out the Expanded America's mod at :

http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=185565

Briarius, everytime I come back here I find more goodies being posted Glad to see you're still working hard on the mod (and still doing it on your own as far as I can see?) The old Myth-and TW community will make sure that it will become a great succes, there is no doubt about it.

The Holy Pilgrim's Avatar In Memory of Blackomur
    Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by Briarius View Post
    @Pilgrim. Thank you! I thought these were unit info picture, but maybe I could use them as unit cards as well.

I meant info pics. I just got too excited when I saw them. Then I tried to type and that's what happened

Campidoctor

Quote Originally Posted by Kong_babylon View Post
    (and still doing it on your own as far as I can see?)
    I, and probably alot of other members would love to help, but almost noone on the forum can match the quality work Briarius've made, so personally, I wouldn't be of much assistence

Did you make them with your hand? They are incredible!!! Congratulation Briarius...

bitterhowl's Avatar Campidoctor

The unit cards are amazing. I tryed to do something similar when i played Myth first time, but my results... Well, it's incomparable. I know how hard this drawing, so +100500 rep.

My sister, do you still recall the blue Hasan and Khalkhin-Gol?
    Russian warship is winning. Proofs needed? Go find yourself!

I'm glad you like it guys. This is not that much of progress, but at least something. I used my 3D ingame models as reference but yes I was drawing them with hands on paper. Hopefully my computer issues are gonna be fixed till the end of this week, and I'll be able to continue the work with full capacity.
    I, and probably alot of other members would love to help, but almost noone on the forum can match the quality work Briarius've made, so personally, I wouldn't be of much assistence
    I could use some help guys, but to be honest, modelling, texturing, animating are the only parts I'm good at, and I'd like to finish that on my own. So scripting campaign, events, adding characters, building the world itself for a nice campaign is definetely something which I'm gonna need help for. But I don't want start organising a team until I'm done with all the units their sounds and their animations. I couldn't handle this as a teamleader yet.

About Journeymen, it would be flavour-ish if instead of being a full unit in campaign, they were the "captain" unit, when you have an unnamed general, so they'd just be leading a regular bodyguard unit, it would also represent their healing skills since after a battle you recover some lost units. And for named generals, they could be an ancilliary which gives +% of casualty recovery. What do you think? Another interesting ancilliary could be The Head! Or evne the watcher's arm!
    @DeVrie
    These are really nice thoughts but that's also a part of campaign making. I'll try to finish this custom-battle mod as soon as possible with all the units(the models are basically done), animations and sounds then I'm gonna need help that's for sure!

In effect you could replicate a campaign directly with historical battles. This will mantain the same style of the original game. And too the scenario can be customize easly... (Perhaps you have already thought it).

I haven't yet waded through all 23 pages of this topic (on page 5 now), but I noticed you talking about the unique one man units for the Avatara, Fallen Lords, and Leveler (Balor). You could also do the other Avatara of The Nine and the other two named Fallen Lords. There are sketches (the pic below) of Rabican, Murgen, and Maeldun and Shiver and the Deceiver were both modeled and sketched in Myth II. The other two Fallen Lords and the other 5 members of the Nine are never named unfortunately.

And while it doesn't really make sense with the timeline since this is a Fallen Lords-era mod, I've always been partial to Alric's warrior-King look in Myth II over the monk with a butter-knife look in Myth: TFL. Just my two cents.

I love the Myth games, even enjoyed Wolf Age (hiss boo). I'm useless at modding, but I'm an expert on the lore if you need any help on that front if/when you build a campaign. I've written a couple novels worth of fan fiction in the Myth Universe and know the Legends and Lore section of myth.bungie.org like the back of my hand. Lemme know if you need help with unit descriptions or things like that.

I know you're far away from doing anything I could help with, and probly far away from the unique/single units stage. But finding this has me so excited that I couldn't help but post. This is an awesome mod and I thank you for putting the effort into it. Long Live Myth.

Edit: Reading onward, I just discovered you didn't finish Myth II since it didn't capture you like TFL did. Is that right? If so, how far'd you get?
    Last edited by Havok9120; April 10, 2011 at 01:37 AM.

Sorry for double post, but I'm tired of editing the first one. Too rambly.

I noticed several people wanted to play/replay TLF but couldn't due to OS issues. Project Magma to the rescue (as usual). They've ported TFL, complete with cutscenes and journal entries, into Myth II (which is worth a playthrough in its own right).

http://projectmagma.net/downloads/TFL_Solo/

Also, various lore questions I've seen:

Fir'bolg: live in the Ermine. Around long before humans founded the Cath Bruig Empire (the be-all end-all of human civilization). They've been fighting the Bre'Unor for millennia, and fought quite a few wars with humanity as well. Only three of their cities are ever mentioned, and their civilization is confined to the Ermine. The Nine convinced them to join the war against Balor only after a great deal of hemming and hawing. They aren't really tribal as far as we know. The Bungie-produced games/lore show that their civilization is pretty advanced. They just want the humans to leave them the heck alone and stay out of their forest.

Heron Guard/Journeymen: The Heron Guard were founded a loooooong time ago. They were the best warriors in the Empire and were chosen through a long and ardurous process. Their ranks were expanded through grand tournaments held once every seven years, and less than six were chosen for initiation after each tournament. Their initiation rituals rendered them ageless. They do not die of natural causes nor age in any way. They were both the bodyguards of the Cath Bruig Emperor as well as his eyes and ears. For reasons that are never really explained (but widely theorized about), most of the Heron Guard were absent when Balor sacked Muirthemne/Llancarfan (the Imperial capitol) and murdered the Emperor. In penance for this they laid down their weapons and each and took nine gold tiles ("each the weight of a grown man") from the shattered walls of the city. They offered their skills as healers and scholars to the Western Kingdoms when the alliance was formed against the Dark.

Shoot some more lore questions my way. I love them.
    Last edited by Havok9120; April 10, 2011 at 02:39 AM.

Petronius's Avatar Biarchus

Just an idea, but perhaps you can add a few different versions of Warriors? For instance, regular buck warriors, veteran warriors, and "Legion" warriors, who would be the elite? Just a thought. You could easily do the same with other units too, adding some variety and upgradability. Minor changes in the models/skins could reflect their status.

Tempus fugit, et nos fugimus in illus. (Time flies and we fly with it.)

-Publius Ovidius Naso

Hi all,

@tyler

Making the original levels as historical battles was my first idea. Probably an easier solution then making a real strategy campaign..

@Havok9120

Edit: Reading onward, I just discovered you didn't finish Myth II since it didn't capture you like TFL did. Is that right? If so, how far'd you get?
    I've finished it already and it was awesome! Of course I didn't play it on legendary..I'm not that good Myth player.

I've always been partial to Alric's warrior-King look in Myth II over the monk with a butter-knife look in Myth: TFL.
    Yes the warrior-king Alric look is cool but I'lladd the Monk, hooded Alric look into the mod.

@Petronius

I was thinking about adding a single militia later, I'm ok with the upgraded warriors unit for now.

Quick announcement! And a little bit sad too. I had to take a break from modding due to my computer and real-life issues..and this situation continues for a while.I can't tell how long .but don't think the mod is dead if I wouldn't post or update my progress here. I'll definetely finish this as soon as I can.

Cheers

Noo ! These small breaks are the things that eventually grow out to be the mod's death

intel's Avatar Protector Domesticus

I don't think so.

Well it has happened more than once