Thread: Norse War Bows

Default Norse War Bows

I read that you are putting the welsh with long bows which is historically accurate but have you considered the Viking archers ? The Norse in there time were feared just as much for there accuracy with there great ash war bows as they were for there skill with an axe. It was Norse long bowmen who killed the King Edmund of east Anglia ( not very honourably mind you, they tied him to a tree to use as target practice) and most Norse lead battles were started with a hail of arrows from Norse archers, who were just as good with an axe and sword as they were a bow and quite well armoured so they could join the fray when they had shoot all there arrows.

I my self own an ash war bow and there range and power is only just short of one made from yew, but they still have a hell of a thump behind them. A war bow is a bow over the draw weight of 100lbs and so as you can imagine, if you can draw a war bow you can swing even a heavy axe with some ease.
    A simple arrow can slay any man, no matter how great.

Default Re: Norse War Bows

Very intersting stuff, can you perhaps elaborate more for us on the difference betwen Yew and Ash bows (effectiveness, range, etc.)? Any links to this kind of information would be cool too.

To answer your question:

Denmark/Hordaland/Normans only have access to the Leidangr Archers (these are the militia level bowmen) and any AOR and Merc units in their localities. Vestfold, however has a unique unit much like you describe. I won't go into much detail on them (I don't know if they've been previewed, but I will check), but they are excellent multi-role troops.

When compared to Welsh Longbowmen the Welsh have better projectiles, but these guys have better melee.

danova's Avatar Protector Domesticus

yes it is very interesting.

... and just a eye candy:

Hladir Bowmen *(Faction unique unit: only Westfold)
    Missile - Heavy/Light - Longbow+Axe

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Professional archers of Vestfold army. Their powerful bows pack a punch, but they carry an axe to fight in close combat.
    Protected by padded or mail armour, these archers carry an axe to fight in close combat.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Long range missiles, can use flaming misiles

Woah...Danova you are the greatest modder ever to step foot on the earth.

Second best, King Kong is 1st.

Oh great here comes the Khurch of Kong...

dom385's Avatar Senator

Holy crap ! did you really just make those in about an hour ?!?

Basically its all down to the wood, yew is a natural composition of two woods, it has a hard inner core or heart wood and a flexible outer wood or sap wood. The heart wood resists compression and the sap wood resists strain and tension, so when you draw the bow to full span the compressed heart wood is trying to push out and the strained sap wood is trying to pull back. The combination of the two woods means when the string is released the spanned or bent wood tries to forces it self back to a straight position, the faster it returns to a state of minimal tension the faster and further it throws an arrow. Ash is only a single type of wood and is good because it both resists tension and compression at the same time but isnt as quick as yew to return to a state of minimal tension.
    A basic way of showing this is that I have a friend who is fortunate enough to own a yew war bow, it will launch an arrow up to 350-400 yards on a still day (minimal wind) where as mine will shoot an arrow 300-350yards. Both are capable of piercing chain-mail, leather padding and primitive armour plating (made from iron or low grade steel), but when my arrows will go two inch's or so through the amour at 50-75 yards his will go easily 4 or more giving them substantially more killing power. If the damage on total war of a yew long bow was 10 the an ash long bow would be 8.
    Last edited by Lord Of The Bow; July 17, 2010 at 03:19 AM. Reason: spelling mistake

Quote Originally Posted by dom385 View Post
    Holy crap ! did you really just make those in about an hour ?!?
    Hehe, no-no. I made these in october 2008. This is normal viking unit for the vestfold rooster.

Quote Originally Posted by danova View Post

Hladir Bowmen *(Faction unique unit: only Westfold)
    Missile - Heavy/Light - Longbow+Axe

Professional archers of Vestfold army. Their powerful bows pack a punch, but they carry an axe to fight in close combat.
    Protected by padded or mail armour, these archers carry an axe to fight in close combat.

Attack: 5 (ap)
    Defence: 12
    Charge: 4

Long range missiles, can use flaming misiles

carth's Avatar Tiro

Quote Originally Posted by Peteriscoolz View Post
    Oh great here comes the Khurch of Kong...

it was just a matter of time till these guy's would show up in this part of the forum.
    ( i'm a big fan of both Kong and Danova )
    "By the blood of our people, your lands kept safe."

Any help ??

achwell's Avatar Biarchus

brilliant

Csatádi's Avatar Senator

bows will be weak in the mod

Why ? you could just make them massively expensive to buy and up keep putting effectively a unit cap on them

Csatádi's Avatar Senator

-----------------------------------------
    I moderated! Sorry, confidental info!
    daNova
    Last edited by danova; July 18, 2010 at 02:49 PM.

Woah there are so much secrets in TLK...awesome

i suppose we shall see in time

Quote Originally Posted by Peteriscoolz View Post
    Woah there are so much secrets in TLK...awesome
    Nothing special or serious ... just we are on progress!