Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The One Ring small mafia game [postponed]

Rebel Jeb's Avatar Mayo

Default The One Ring small mafia game [postponed]

I was wondering if I am allowed to start another Mafia game, or is there a certain rule about how many there can be, or so and so.

I was thinking a Lord of the Rings Mafia would be interesting, since the Star Wars one seems to be going fine. I searched and don't think the idea has been done before, but correct me if I'm wrong.

johnhughthom's Avatar Vicarius

Default Re: Interested in Starting my own Mafia Game

There was a LoTR mafia game at CFC a while back, but we've never had one here. There are no strict rules to how many games can run at a time here so far as I'm aware, we do generally operate an informal queue system though as there aren't enough players to have games running concurrently. Master Necromancer is next in line then my game.

Rebel Jeb's Avatar Mayo

Sounds good, I'll wait for some to finish then.

johnhughthom's Avatar Vicarius

http://forums.civfanatics.com/showth...highlight=Lord

CFC game if you need some inspiration.

Askthepizzaguy's Avatar Know the dark side
    Civitate

Hello

How large do you want this game to be? I can put you in the small or large game queue, and you can begin sign-ups as soon as the other games close sign-ups. Also, I see that you would be ahead of me in line, since this thread wasn't stickied I did not notice. If you would like, you have permission to make this your sign-up thread, and I will sticky it and you can go ahead of me.

Contact me if you need any advice or would like some advertisement.

Rebel Jeb's Avatar Mayo

I'll wait for you to finish, it's fine. And I was thinking pretty large would be fun.

Civitate

Quote Originally Posted by Taylor Swift View Post
    I'll wait for you to finish, it's fine. And I was thinking pretty large would be fun.
    I agree, especially with LOTR as your theme. Let me know the instant you've got your idea all fleshed out, and I'll make sure you get plenty of people signed up.

Rebel Jeb's Avatar Mayo

Sure. I'm trying to think of ideas, main one that comes to mind is the council for who to take the ring at Rivendell. Seems to be a good place, do you agree?

And I was thinking 10-15 or so people.

Civitate

Sure. I'm trying to think of ideas, main one that comes to mind is the council for who to take the ring at Rivendell. Seems to be a good place, do you agree?
    Sure, that works

Yes, that could work; thinking about just including the Fellowship and some of the related characters?

My advice is to make the mafia/infiltrator/evil faction's identities to be impossible to determine. Such as: making a member of the Fellowship (Pippin, as an example) guilty. That way it is a real mafia game and not just a "who would Taylor make guilty" metagaming guessing game.

Other than that, I feel you're on the right track.

Rebel Jeb's Avatar Mayo

Quote Originally Posted by Askthepizzaguy View Post
    Sure, that works

Yes, that could work; thinking about just including the Fellowship and some of the related characters?

My advice is to make the mafia/infiltrator/evil faction's identities to be impossible to determine. Such as: making a member of the Fellowship (Pippin, as an example) guilty. That way it is a real mafia game and not just a "who would Taylor make guilty" metagaming guessing game.

Other than that, I feel you're on the right track.

Pretty much. The fellowship and others. And right, for the characters, you'll never know.

Once you feel it fit, you can make this the signup sheet, whenever you think it'll be fine for me to start.

Zaccino's Avatar Senator

That's "pretty large"?

Rebel Jeb's Avatar Mayo

Quote Originally Posted by Zack View Post
    That's "pretty large"?
    Well, I don't expect to be able to get more, plus it being my first time, that's all I want to deal with.

And I have no idea how large games are on the other forums, it seems pretty large for one on TWC.

Double A's Avatar person man

Unfortunately you're right.
    Jon had taken Donal and Benjen’s advice to heart: Sam may be fat and pathetic, but he is still a member of the watch, and one of the few black brothers who isn't a rapist or thief. (out of context, this sounds ridiculously racist)
    super awesome music thing | political profile
    GSTK member - Join today! (We're restarting. Again.)

Civitate

Well, I don't expect to be able to get more, plus it being my first time, that's all I want to deal with.

And I have no idea how large games are on the other forums, it seems pretty large for one on TWC.
    Large games typically have 30-40 players.

I moved you to the small game queue for now; as soon as the game in front of you closes sign-ups I'll edit the title of your thread and sticky this and you will be open for sign-ups while you design and put the finishing touches on it.

If the game isn't ready when it is your turn, we can wait... until the game in front of you is over. Then I'll have to keep things moving. It could easily be several weeks, so you've got time.

Rebel Jeb's Avatar Mayo

Default Re: The One Ring small mafia game [accepting reservations]

Sounds good.

All I pretty much need are characters and abilities, and you write up the start. And then the assassination writeups you put up as you go along, right?

Civitate

Sounds good.

All I pretty much need are characters and abilities, and you write up the start. And then the assassination writeups you put up as you go along, right?
    That is correct;

• Make sure you state how long your day and night phases are, and adhere to that as closely as humanly possible.
    • Say who gets lynched and if they did indeed die or not.
    • Determine if you wish the alignment of the character to be revealed upon death.
    • When night is over, state who died and provide a story for that if you wish; it's good for themed games. Be as creative as you like.

For inspiration, check out the previously hosted games in the Archive, or check out my just-finished Star Fox Lylat Wars game (Note: You don't have to be nearly as elaborate as that.)

Rebel Jeb's Avatar Mayo

Quote Originally Posted by Askthepizzaguy View Post
    That is correct;

• Make sure you state how long your day and night phases are, and adhere to that as closely as humanly possible.
    • Say who gets lynched and if they did indeed die or not.
    • Determine if you wish the alignment of the character to be revealed upon death.
    • When night is over, state who died and provide a story for that if you wish; it's good for themed games. Be as creative as you like.

For inspiration, check out the previously hosted games in the Archive, or check out my just-finished Star Fox Lylat Wars game (Note: You don't have to be nearly as elaborate as that.)
    Okay, thanks. What are all of the special abilities that I could use in my game? Can't seem to find a list of them.

Jon had taken Donal and Benjen’s advice to heart: Sam may be fat and pathetic, but he is still a member of the watch, and one of the few black brothers who isn't a rapist or thief. (out of context, this sounds ridiculously racist)

Civitate

Okay, thanks. What are all of the special abilities that I could use in my game? Can't seem to find a list of them.
    A complete list would be impossible; the ideas are literally endless. Here are some common ones, plus my comments on balance.

YOU CAN RENAME ANY OF THESE ROLES, to fit your themed game. Don't have to be called "Doctor" to behave as one.

Scanning roles: Detectives. These can send you an order to investigate someone at night, and you tell them something specific about that person. If they are a powerful detective role, they can determine guilt or innocence. You can also have weaker detectives (a tracker) who can only see if that person slept all night, or if they went out and did things. You can also have a watcher role, who sees if anyone visits them at night (detective, mafia, or otherwise) but doesn't reveal what happened to them, their alignment, what they were doing, nothing at all except the name of the who visited them.

Protective roles: Doctors can defend someone from being slain at night, but not themselves. Basically they revive a person who was murdered. Bulletproof roles wear a vest or armor that protects themselves (and no one else) from death. Unlynchable roles can evade being lynched. Sometimes these roles only have a limited percentage success rate, or a number of times it can work before it fails.

Violent roles: Vigilantes can murder someone at night, just like the mafia. They are trying to murder all the mafia, not kill townies. Suicide Bombers can kill themselves during the day, before they are lynched, and take out one person who voted to lynch them (or more, depending on if you want them to have that power or not). Paranoid Gun Owners will shoot anyone who targets them at night.... even detectives and roleblockers, doctors, and mafia.

Blocker roles: Prostitutes can occupy their target for the night, preventing them from performing any action. This is often just called a role blocker. These could have variants where they can only block members of the opposite gender, or perhaps some roles are immune to their influence. You could also just call them a "jailer" and lock up the victim in a cell for a night, freeing them in the morning.

Group roles: Masons know each other are innocent. Or, they work with each other and have special powers, but there is no guarantee that they are innocent (could be converted, or mafia at start), and such roles are often difficult for the victims of that deception. Cults are generally neutral or evil and wish to convert everyone and make them part of the cult. They win when the mafia is dead and they outnumber the town. Often times if they attempt to convert a mafioso, the cult leader dies and the cult cannot convert anymore.

See this for more:

http://mafiascum.net/wiki/index.php?title=Roles

The mafia can also have special powers.

BALANCE:

Generally, a vanilla game where there are 2 mafiosi is balanced until it gets very large (25 or more players), then I prefer 3 mafiosi. Generally, 1 murder per night from the whole mafia team is acceptable, but 2 murders keeps the game challenging and gives it a quicker pace.

Generally, a vanilla game is balanced where there are 2 competing mafia families who can kill each other off, in addition to the town. Because the mafia are the greatest threat to each other, they often defeat each other and it leads to a town victory, or one family gets lucky while the other dies quickly, or the town is defeated and it leads to drawish games. The town does not need special powers here, the mafia balance each other.

Generally, town does not need special powers to win unless the mafia is large, the number of murders are high, the mafia have special powers, or there is a cult in the game. Or, if the town also has roles which are detrimental to their cause, such as Millers (appear guilty upon investigation, but are actually innocent) or Psychopaths (townies who are like vigilantes, except compelled to murder or they will murder randomly) or Bad detectives (Insane) which show guilty people to be innocent and innocent people to be guilty (Paranoid) which show everyone as guilty (Naive) which show everyone to be innocent (Drunk) which gives false results sometimes but is right sometimes.

There are also Actor roles, whose objective it is to be lynched, not murdered, and not survive the game. And Joker roles, who have the same objective, but will explode and kill everyone who voted for them.

SEE THIS POST FOR MORE ABOUT GAME BALANCE

AND MORE

Anything includes Twinky vendors, people who want to get lynched, or someone who achieves Nirvana by slapping everyone in the face with a wet piece of celery.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast