Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is it still worth buying RTW?

PorknBeans's Avatar Miles

Default Is it still worth buying RTW?

I obviously played M2TW and it is one of my favorite games of all time. I tried ETW but the later eras just dont work for me. I was just wondering if RTW is worth getting into or if its too outdated/too similar in relation to Medieval to even attempt.
    Age of Empires, anyone?

shikaka's Avatar Domesticus

Default Re: Is it still worth buying RTW?

Quote Originally Posted by PorknBeans View Post
    I obviously played M2TW and it is one of my favorite games of all time. I tried ETW but the later eras just dont work for me. I was just wondering if RTW is worth getting into or if its too outdated/too similar in relation to Medieval to even attempt.

I think M2TW and RTW are the 2 best games.

If you like M2TW graphics then RTW is pretty much the same. There is no blood and there are no differing units in a group (all the guys in a barbarian warband unit look the same).

My main problems are the same with RTW too (strategic AI, 'everyone against the player' AI diplomacy).

The main difference is the setting. Not only the era, but in M2TW there is no überfaction, in Rome there are the Romans who will beat up most AI nations if you don't do something about it.

What I would really recommend is to get Barbarian invasion too. That campaign has fantastic replay value (the aim of the hordes are different) and it is the only game I know which takes place in that era.

There are quite some historical inaccurancies if you are interested in them (like the iberian faction is called 'Spain', the gauls are united, non-hellenistic egypt, silly units like head hurlers, etc.) but mods correct them.

RTW is cheap nowadays, and since in my opinion it is close to M2TW in the fun factor (I actually prefer RTW), it is worth buying.

Good advice, shikaka.

I would also add that RTW has many great mods that you can download and play.

Nothing is impossible, to him who will try.
    -Μέγας Ἀλέξανδρος
    HERO_331

Brusilov's Avatar Local Moderator
    Citizen

Yes, there are many good RTW and RTW BI based mods.

The unit graphics are usually improved from the vanilla RTW. There has also been considerable work done on the maps - larger with more settlements.

The Roma Surrectum team have worked wonders on the environmentals - a taster can be seen on the latest RSI release. However, RSII will be an improvement over that.

Have a read of the following thread for some details of the mods: http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=378433

Local Forum Moderator (Total War: Eras Technical Help, Shogun 2: Total War, RSII, RTR, World Of Tanks) - please no PMs

War Thunder TWC Player Names: here

If you like M2TW then I'm sure RTW won't be too outdated, it's the same game engine and the graphics are fine, unlike Medieval I which is very different. It is pretty similar but the different factions and the senate element should make it just different enough to be worth it, especially as the game is pretty cheap now. BI is also a great add on.
    She was no ordinary girl, Oh Inverted World

Don't worry about the world ending today, it's already tommorow in australia

rep me, I rep you.

Is it still worth buying RTW?
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    Yes !
    if you look at the graphics (still acceptable)
    and the mods (are great)
    and the online play (good enough)
    i think it is still worth buying it.

what do you mean the online play is "good enough"? best in the series, boy. if you end up fighting newbs 24/7 ya should have joined a clan.

Absoloutely. If you don't mind STEAM you can buy the Gold Edition of Rome bundled with Barbarian Invasions expansion, for £5.00 (which I believe for you US folk is about $8.00). Bargain!

take it from a man who owns 3 copies of the game and 2 of BI, YES it is. Still the best TW game ever made. M2 being close behind. The rest I am not so sure of bothering with. But RTW? For what like $15 to $20? YA! HELL YA! CANT GO WRONG THEIR!
    The whole world is in chess. Any move can be the death of you.
    Baldwin IV

Quote Originally Posted by Lucarius View Post
    and the online play (good enough)
    WAAAAAAAAATTTT??? Good enough? Freaking amazing, more like. A lobby that's alive, the ability to chat, most hacks don't work, active clans, fast gameplay, zero lag, and the "rock paper scissors" idea preserved should be enough to make the online play at least better than "good enough".

Icon6 Re: Is it still worth buying RTW?

Quote Originally Posted by PorknBeans View Post
    I think RTW is a masterpiece. I play it because my comp can't take the new ones, but man do I still enjoy it

My PC takes anything. I simply predicted that it was gonna go downhill when i saw MTW2 and didnt buy any game after that. leaving me with the two best games produced in the series.

Slaj4496's Avatar Libertus

HELL YEA! Rtw is like still awesome and still has an active multiplayerr

Plus, RTW's AI is at least passable. It may only know how to charge straight ahead, but at least it doesn't, say, march its troops back and forth for five minutes while they're being shot at.
    And when you take the mods into account, RTW probably becomes the best in the series, overall.

Turtle Hammer's Avatar Senator

It's great in and of itself, and the ammount of mods along with the BI add on mean you'll have bucket lods of replay value. Well worth it.
    Euroba Barbarorum convert

Quote Originally Posted by |Sith|9|Lord_Max View Post
    what do you mean the online play is "good enough"? best in the series, boy. if you end up fighting newbs 24/7 ya should have joined a clan.
    Online is "good enough" : online is nice but it's not like WOOOW !
    i would love to see more in RTW2.

"ya should join a clan"

euuh No sir that is not how it works.
    see i suck online and clans don't want people who suck so euuh
    you better start thinking again and come up with another awnser.

Quote Originally Posted by |Sith|Magic_8_Ball View Post
    WAAAAAAAAATTTT??? Good enough? Freaking amazing, more like. A lobby that's alive, the ability to chat, most hacks don't work, active clans, fast gameplay, zero lag, and the "rock paper scissors" idea preserved should be enough to make the online play at least better than "good enough".
    hmm good point. if you look to other games.
    allright online is maybe worth it.
    but i think i played campaign to much than online
    and campaing tactics don't work online
    thanks Magic_8_Ball i'll try online sometimes.
    Last edited by Lucarius; August 07, 2010 at 03:12 AM.

You definitely should try Rome, and with those amazing mods, is best game by CA ever.

Quote Originally Posted by Gloin22 View Post
    is best game by CA ever.

Quote Originally Posted by shikaka View Post
    There are quite some historical inaccurancies if you are interested in them (like the iberian faction is called 'Spain', the gauls are united, non-hellenistic egypt, silly units like head hurlers, etc.) but mods correct them.
    Its a game not a bloody history documentary (not that im not a fan of history), units like that are great fun to use and that is the reason they were included. From what ive seen from mods like RTR or EB, they look terribly boring and I think some people need to take it much less seriously. I wouldnt even mind if S2 has a bunch of crazy and colourful units, its all in the name of F U N.

Quote Originally Posted by Lucarius View Post
    Online is "good enough" : online is nice but it's not like WOOOW !
    i would love to see more in RTW2.

"ya should join a clan"

euuh No sir that is not how it works.
    see i suck online and clans don't want people who suck so euuh
    you better start thinking again and come up with another awnser.
    Well, it's not normally too hard to join a decent clan. You just need the very basics and I'm sure many of them would let you in. They'll train you to get better and you'll be able to play better games.

However, I think MP is slightly off topic, so I'll stop now before the mods shout at me.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast