Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Silver Shield - 10th Edition

Subuatai de Bodemloze's Avatar No rest for the wicked
    50 degrees, 26.2 minutes North, 119 degrees, 12.4 minutes West

Icon2 The Silver Shield - 10th Edition

A Letter From the outgoing EditorHello once again TWC. It is with much sadness that I must announce my retirement as Editor of the Silver Shield. One day over a year and a half ago now a guy suggested to try to get some kind of publication going to bring light to the local communities found here on TWC. I thought he was just blowing a lot of hot air and if I gave him enough time he would expel it all and be done. Little did I know the determination of Armatus. He dragged me kicking and screaming the whole way through that first release. I would like to thank him for never letting up and for giving me the opportunity to be apart of something really special.

I was looking over PMs Armatus and I sent to each other from early 2009 and smile at how excited we where when we received that first response from staff. Those early days doing all the work through PM's was tough. I didn't think we would pull it off, but we proved it can be done (which Armatus had no doubt). Our reward was a forum of our own and more work to do. I have really enjoyed being a part of the continued success of the Silver Shield. I look forward to contributing art and maybe a little writing to future editions, but now is the time for me to step down. I would like to welcome Subuatai de Bodemloze to the position and I wish him the best of luck. I'm sure he will take the Silver Shield to new heights never imaged by that art guy from early 2009 that had no idea what he was getting himself into. Thanks again TWC for the opportunity to serve this great community.

Y

A Letter From the NEW EditorHear ye hear ye, lords and ladies of TWC, gentlemen and commoners I bid you welcome. Is the microphone on? (tap tap tap)

May I present another edition of the Silver Shield! Arriving on a desktop near you!

I am pleased to present another edition full of articals. Summer is here been in the mid 30's all week and may break 40 at some point. and just two weeks ago we had rain and rain and cold. Climate change ugh! Pardon the delay between editions but with the resignation of y2day and the server crash it makes it difficult to get this to the presses. It is also with regret that I must inform you our readers that Tzar is no longer with the community. And has chosen to go into retirement. Thanks Tzar for all your hard work and good luck in life.
    Please take a gander at this edition, I trust you will find something to your liking and, if not; feel free to let me know how to improve it. We have some good articals in store for you. We start this inagural (to me) edition with news about the next total war game one I have been eagerly awaiting for years. And the next Total War game is? authored by Vikingr. Then we join Nole4694 in a quest to a relatively new RPG hosted here and run by one of our very own writers Capt. Fozdike Vive L'Empire. Then We jump to KippyK exploring the realm of Mount & Blade with Adorno1. My article a A Graphic state of Affairs brings up the rear followed by the classifieds.

Warm wishes and happy reading.
    Subuatai

10th Edition Staff
    Editor in Chief / Group Moderator y2day Subuatai de Bodemloze
    Deputy Editor / Group Moderator Armatus
    Art Director y2day
    Artist / Reporter Subuatai de Bodemloze
    Reporter Nole4694
    Reporter Capt. Fozdike
    Reporter KippyK

Reporter Vikingr

The 10th Edition
    And the next Total War game is? by Vikingr

That's right folks! The long awaited shogun sequel. Back to basics, that's what CA promised, and they weren't kidding!

If this latest announcement of the next Total war game interests you, Angry Joe has already managed to ask Kieran Bridgen a few questions, and has some information of what to possibly expect to see in Shogun 2 Total War!
    http://angryjoeshow.com/2010/06/shog...nterview-demo/

PC Gamer has also posted an article on Shogun 2 Total War, which can be read here.

And if you haven't found it already, head on over to the Shogun 2 area at TWCs forums!
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=1549

Vive L'Empire Article by Nole4694

Welcome readers, to my second article for the esteemed Silver Shield! I hope you enjoy reading it as much as I did writing it. But enough of that, lets get on to what you came for shall we?

Preface Vive L'Empire! The year is 1804, France has gone from a Republic to an Empire and the sting of the Revolution hangs in the air. The war of the third coalition is underway, leaving Great Britain, Austria, Russia and Prussia in a state of war against the Empire. The Empire needs a powerful leader to survive these dark times. Will you be that man? Will you rise to become the Emperor and lead France to victory? The choice is yours.

Vive L'Empire. What does it mean? More over why am I writing an article about it? Well, Vive L'Empire is French for Long live the Empire. It is an apt title for the RPG based off of Creative Assembly's latest title: Napoleon Total War. VLE, as I will refer to it, started months back near the end of January in anticipation for Napoleon's release. You can't exactly say it got off to a great start. Without NTW, there was no direction, no drama or events to draw from. A few battles were created, a few debates started, but after a while the game fizzled. VLE only held activity for about a month before it died a painful death. But all was not lost, it was soon (well in a few months) to be resurrected.

By the end of April NTW was out and a new thread had been created in the Vive L'Empire forums. The fire was rekindled in the heart of the newborn that was never given a chance. Capt. Fozdike and Stildawn had gotten together and decided to give the game another shot, and thus opened up a thread to see who was interested in playing. Four people responded to the thread and after a quick advertisement in the NTW forums they earned another 3 followers. Sadly most of the original players didn't return, but the founders were undeterred and continued on implementing new changes and emphasizing their unique features.

Now enough history, lets get to the good part. Vive L'Empire is set in a turbulent time in Frances, where the smallest of actions could gain and lose the people's favor and where the men in power often fought for the peoples support. VLE I believe captures this essence with their influence system. Whether your a senator and debating in well the senate, or a general who has just won a major victory, this all affects your influence over the people. Why does this matter you say? Well in the event of a rebellion your influence will determine the number of people who would side with you, or your enemy. Will the ambitious general seize the power from an unpopular emperor, or will he be crushed by the emperor's overwhelming support? It all depends on your influence, along with your alliances with other players.

With the experience of the first, failed version of VLE under their belts a few things have been changed and added that make it even more appealing. VLE now sports a very user friendly military set up system that helps with the organization of the French armies and navies. Another vastly helpful addition is that of Napoleon Total War. As I said before, the first incarnation came out before Napoleon's release. Now that it is out it has really helped with giving a direction to the rp, along with the prices and names of units. Also the game is currently undergoing a rework of the economy so as to allow lower ranking players more opportunities to make money. This includes the allowance of players to open up their own stores and markets to make some extra cash, and for those deceitful people out there the ability to rob those said stores based upon a moderator dice roll.

Currently, there have been a few skirmishes with Russian scouts and cavalry hinting at a larger war to come. France is crawling with spies from both England and Russia as well. The Secret Police have responded and have started rounding up suspicious characters whom they suspect of spying, creating an atmosphere of great tension and good opportunities for player interactions. VLE is filled with its fair share of drama along with a touch of comedy added in by the players.

VLE, like any other rpg on our little pocket of internet called total war center, is more than a game, its a community. One with an atmosphere of good fun and open arms to new players. Speaking of which, if you're interested in anything I've written here today, or just curious please take a look at the Vive L'Empire forum here, or contact Capt. Fozdike with any questions you might have.

Now let's have a little chat with the lead moderator of Vive L'Empire, fellow content writer and citizen, and an all around cool dude... Capt. Fozdike!
    Interview with Capt. Fozdike
    Q: Hey there Capt. Fozdike, could you tell us a little about your life outside of TWC?

Sure. Well, I live in the middle of nowhere of Victoria (The best state) in the magnificent country of Australia. I am currently working as a Landscaper and helping my Dad on the farm on top of finishing my last year of school. I'm also a Cadet in the Australian Army and hoping to go to the Royal Military College in Duntroon to train as an Army Officer after I have completed an apprenticeship as a Builder. I also work a side-job as a Computer Technician to fill up the rest of my time and put some more money in my pocket.

Q: So, Mr. Foz, how much power would you say you have over TWC? Are you a god like Jimkatalanos or a nobody like... Legio. Or somewhere in between?

Well I'm better looking than Legio but I'm not as god-like as Jimkatalanos so I'm probably somewhere towards the bottom since saying that I'm better looking than Legio doesn't mean much.

Q: Now, what would you consider to be your greatest contribution to the site?

Hmmm, I have been a member of the Eagle Standard now for 4 months (One of those as an Intern) so I guess that would be my biggest contribution to TWC. Other publications such as the Silver Shield and the Podcasts also keep me busy.

Q: Speaking of contributions, what has do you think is the best thing you have been given by TWC? ie. a mod, the community, debates etc. (and that thing last month with you in that hotel with a hook- nevermind, that just... just doesn't count).

Who told you about the hotel incident?! But seriously, being a part of the community is a real big part of TWC. Like, we're a pretty small community even though the member list exceeds 50,000 people since most of us know the well-known faces of TWC. I think also being a part of the Content Staff is a very rewarding and fun part of TWC. This being a Total War site, the mods available give me a lot of prolonged time playing the TW Series and being able to comment and help the mod teams with their mods is quite rewarding.

Q: How long have you been a member of TWC? and what has kept bringing you back here for so long, I mean besides my ruggedly handsome looks.

I joined back in September of '09 which, when you think about it, isn't long but I think I have fitted well into the community in that time. Oh come on mate, your looks is all that keeps me here I don't know really, I think that TWC has some sort of magnet that keeps people addicted. I was kind of inactive for the first month of joining but after that TWC gave me a kick and I was absolutely hooked and now I can safely be put into the category of "TWC Addicts". This is an unforgiving place that you just can't let go of after you get the ball rolling. I think it has something to do with all of the Greek Gods on the forum like Jim and Garb. They control us.

Q: Do you have any plans or hopes for your future here?

I'll be posting on TWC on my death bed. And at that time I'll probably be still writing for the ES. I think that the publications hold all that I need for my future. I love writing and I find that writing for the ES is just relaxing and hopefully Saint Nicholas will be able to put up with me later in the future.

I would like to give my sincere thanks to Capt. Fozdike for answering my questions and getting me the information for my article. And I would aslo like to thank you all for reading, fairwell until next issue!

Nole4694

A Look at Mount&Blade and one of TWC's most Active Players by KippyK

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    Mount&Blade is one of the few titles or series that has earned its own special shrine here at the hallowed halls of TWC. It's popularity is not unwarranted - it fills a very specific need. We are used to commanding our hosts and armies across dusty deserts and grassy hills, but there's a little part in each of us that wishes we could take sword in hand and join the ravenous melee ourselves.

Mount&Blade is just about the best there is at doing just that.

Any of you who are fans of the game and have visited the sub-forums have likely encountered Adorno1. He's an "import" to TWC from across cyberspace, and has since become a valued and esteemed member of the site and of the Silver Auxilia. His excellent sense of humor and easy-going attitude make him a pleasure to interact with on the site (and to interview!).

Here, we take a look at what makes him tick, and what makes Mount&Blade such a fun game.

Interview

1. How long have you been a member at TWC, and what brought you here? Tell us a little about yourself.

TWC is like the Versailles of forums: if a kind person hadn't given me a direct link I would never have found the little backdoor leading to the mount&blade subsection.
    And that was back in January 2008. I was making some goofy videos of M&B gameplay and Whoopin suggested I stopped by this place to show them.
    Even though I had been playing Medieval II a lot I never thought of visiting the forum. Back in the day when I played my first computer games there were no forums.
    Heck there wasn't even internet. That's right kids, I'm that old
    Being a child of the 80's (born in 1978) some of my first computer games were old Amiga 500 & 1200 games like Sim City, Settlers, Sid Meyer's Pirates,
    Sensible Soccer, Worms, Lemmings, Monkey Island and many other classics. Funny how they've survived
    Through the years graphics has improved - especially with 3D - but I didn't really think there was much innovation. That is until I met M&B...

Here are two pictures of me

Happy

Not happy

First Post at TWC:
    Quote Originally Posted by Adorno1 View Post
    Hi, Armatus and all others at this Forum (if there are others - You're a busy man Armatus. And I remember you signed up on the Mount & Blade forum recently).
    Thank you for the kind remarks. Whoopin told me to stop by
    I just signed up here. I've actually been playing Medieval II quite a bit.
    But I belive I take the prize for being the worst TW player there is and won't have much to contribute to the TW forum
    Well I'm off to find a good avatar...
    2. Tell us a little about Mount and Blade. What makes it engaging and special to you?

I first encountered M&B back in 2006 after seeing a video of some cavalry fighting each other, and thought it looked too real to be in-game footage.
    And when I say "real" I mean the horse animation - because the graphics looked like grey onion soup through greasy glasses on a cloudy day.
    Downloaded the demo and was completely flabbergasted - jaw dropping, eye popping surprised - I was actually riding, moving up and down in the saddle, wind in my hair (or so it seemed);
    and not only that, it was also ME controlling my character. No more constant mouse clicking, I was in charge of attacks and blocks,
    thrusting and slashing left and right like in an epileptic fit being killed again and again and again - and then some more. But it didn't matter, I was free!
    The realistic controls was - and still is - a little revelation in gaming that I never thought I should see.
    The Nintendo people have their Wiimote, Sony's working on 'Move' and Microsoft has 'Project Natal' but somehow the makers of M&B
    managed to bring realistic, intuitive controls to the good old mouse and keyboard; to a point where the movements of your character feels like an extension of your own body.

3. What type of person or gamer would you recommend this game to?

Actually I would recommend anyone interested in the gaming world/history to try out the demo of this game to see the possibilities that it presents.
    But more specifically the game could interest people who like medieval combat games/simulators and open ended gameplay.
    I'm also certain people who like the Total War series will like M&B - I'm one of them
    In some ways it's like Medieval II in first/third person, but with battles on a smaller scale and less micromanagement.

4. Mount and Blade's expansion, Warband, was released fairly recently. What is your opinion of it? Does it increase the Mount and Blade experience effectively for you?

Warband is the "rug that tied the room together"!
    It introduces multiplayer which is hugely enjoyable, and like a medieval FPS that basically isn't very innovative but the gameplay is as solid as Ayer's rock.
    I have only played a few multiplayer games before because I often find it boring, but it feels like this was what the M&B combat mechanics and controls were made for in the first place.
    When it comes to the single player campaign there are many nice additions but it's obvious that most of the work has gone into polishing the multiplayer part.
    It expands some areas that were sorely lacking, like diplomacy and controlling troops on the battlefield, whereas other areas like sieges are still a shadow of itself.
    It's comforting that lead developer Armagan in a recent interview promised a 3rd M&B release sometime in the future.
    Like an endangered species M&B is one of a kind, and the poachers are the fantasy loving, graphic admirering people who crave oversized god-weapons and mountable sabre tigers.
    But Warband abides. Warband abides...

5. Mount and Blade has a lively community here at TWC. What can you tell us about the modding scene for the game, both here and at the official Taleworlds site?

There's a plethora of mods for M&B, and there are already quite a few for Warband - both multi- and singleplayer.
    I believe the modding community is relatively big considering the 'size' of the game and many small tools have been made by modders to ease the process,
    like: map creator, troops-, factions- and item editors etc. That also means there are many minor mods that balance the game in various ways.
    There's a built-in scene editor that the developers also use to make the scenes, and so scene editing requires little skill - but quite a bit of patience and time.
    All in all modding M&B is far easier than other games I know and the mods range from fantasy to contemporary and futuristic.
    I've been following the development closely for quite some time and yet I only know a small percentage of mods out there.

6. Do you have any mods of your own that you would like to discuss?

Proof that M&B is easy to mod is that I myself have made a few
    One is a new soundtrack with ambient sounds. If you turn off the music you'll realise how quiet the game is.
    The native soundtrack is constant music - also in battles - with just small pauses when a new track loads.
    It becomes very imposing and noisy in the end and if you turn it off... the rest is silence.
    Therefore I made a soundtrack with sounds of wind, birds, other animals etc... anything you might hear in a medieval world.
    Lately I've been working on making some historic castles with the scene edit feature. It's not so much a mod in itself as a resource for 'real' modders to use if interested.
    I find it fascinating to see castles that resemble those of history rather than the - often small - native, fantasy castles.

7. Anything on the horizon for Mount and Blade you would like to share? Are there any promising mods near to release, or other similar developments?

One of the most ambitious total conversions for M&B is 1866: Western mod, and it's pregnant with a little Warband baby for multiplayer.
    I'm very much looking forward to being a savage Indian scalping (not literally) gunslingers.

Video Making Skills

As mentioned before I've made some strange videos over the years.
    One of my favourites is from the even more strange Gangs of Glasgow mod.
    Unfortunately it remains unfinished for version 1.011.

But I can also make more traditional videos, like the trailer for the Song of Taliesin mod.

In-Depth Feature of Adorno's Historic Castles Project

Two of my mods I consider successful, as in: they came out just like I wanted and expand on areas of the game that I find lacking.
    The first one is the ambient soundtrack. Being sound there's not much to show, but the intense feeling of cleaving someone's skull to the sound of birds chirping and wind blowing is very satisfying

My latest big project is the Historic Castles Project - the British Isles.
    By using models already in the game I've managed to recreate castles from history in the years circa 1066-1300. The purpose of the mod is threefold:
    1) making more interesting looking castles - especially the surroundings.
    2) increasing immersion by fighting at actual/historic castles.
    3) new, interesting ways of besieging - as far as that's possible with the existing AI.

It includes castles such as:

Classic Motte & Bailey

York Castle (Clifford's Tower)

And in the upcoming version - once a patch for Warband has been released:

Beaumaris Castle

Conwy Castle

There are 6 castles in total - 9 in the next version - and they're really meant for modders to use in mods that take place in Britain (and Ireland/Wales) in the years 1066-1300.
    But anyone are welcome to use them.

Thanks to Adorno for his time and cooperation, and thanks to Armatus, my co-author on this exploration of Mount&Blade.

A Graphic State of Affairs by Subuatai de Bodemloze

Subuatai's blogHeya folks! Welcome to the column. Well I am back from my forced (by work) sabbatical, and right into the next edition of the Silver shield. Well like I said I finished 3 plus weeks of about 50 hours plus a 1 hour commute each way so about 62 hours, needless to say my kids and wife missed me. Well This edition is both a sad one and an exciting one... Sad because Y2day is leaving us.. Y.. my friend.. you know where we sit eh?
    I am pleased to announce that this edition is a double header with a twist. We have 2 interviews for you one by a special guest interviewer Abbews! So let's get at it shall we?

The Winners circle
    GC #68 (TV-Show)

Abbews comes of with a little finger snap here with this one.. GJ buddy!

GC #69 (Countries of the world)
    Seems like a lovely place eh? And I hear they have good beer. Maybe Marcel can afford a plane ticket for me with all his winnings of late? LOL GJ Mr. P! (Marcel)

GC #70 (Animals)
    I gotta say I love the visuals here!! Well deserved win Finlander!

GC #71 (Movie Poster)
    Wildrek strikes again.. Though I liked my submission better. Congrats buddy.

GC #72 (War & Peace)
    Well can't really use that Apocalypse now quote can I!? LOL..

GC #73 (Summer)
    Summer is cute... Do you have her phone number? Way to go Lolgast.

GC #74 (GC Banner)
    Love this one Lolgast. Congrats 2 wins back to back.

GC #75 (FIFA World Cup S.A.)
    Hahaha! Italy is out!! But England lost to ze Germans! Go Argentina! Finlander comes away with the cup!

GC #76 (Love)
    Congratz Capt. Fozdike on your first win!!
    As John and the boys sang...
    Sing along everyone
    "Love, love, love, love, love, love, love, love, love.
    There's nothing you can do that can't be done.
    Nothing you can sing that can't be sung.
    Nothing you can say but you can learn how to play the game
    It's easy.
    There's nothing you can make that can't be made.
    No one you can save that can't be saved.
    Nothing you can do but you can learn how to be you
    in time - It's easy.

All you need is love, all you need is love,
    All you need is love, love, love is all you need.
    Love, love, love, love, love, love, love, love, love.
    There's nothing you can know that isn't known.
    Nothing you can see that isn't shown.
    Nowhere you can be that isn't where you're meant to be.
    It's easy.
    All you need is love (all together now)
    All you need is love (everybody)
    All you need is love, love, love is all you need."

Question Period with the One and only Wildrek
    Question Period
    Please allow me to introduce myself I am a man of fortune wealth and fame taste... Can you finish the next couple of lines?
    Please allow me to introduce myself
    I'm a man of wealth and taste
    I've been around for a long, long year
    Stole many a man's soul and faith

And I was 'round when Jesus Christ
    Had his moment of doubt and pain
    Made damn sure that Pilate
    Washed his hands and sealed his fate

Pleased to meet you
    Hope you guess my name
    But what's puzzling you
    Is the nature of my game

Rolling Stones - Sympathy for the Devil

If you will please introduce yourself to the members of TWC that don't hang out in our turf.
    Hi! My name is Orestis and i come from the beautiful island of Greece!(huh, wait Greece isnt an island....well, whatever..). Im 17 and next year i will study at a University(if everything goes well ) I Love Physics and Maths, and i'd like to follow a career about them! I also enjoy playing guitar, listening to music, hanging out with friends and playing football!

Do you remember how you got started with photoshop / Gimp? Could you tell us?
    A friend of mine told me that he would like to show me something incredible... it was Photoshop 7! I loved it as soon as i touched that sharpen filter... . All i wanted back then was kick his @ss in photoshop.... and i did it!

Are you artistic offline? What I mean is can and do you draw, paint etc.. If so how long have you been doing so? Do you have any styles that you prefer?
    No, i only use Photoshop, i've never tried my skills in other forms of art.

You guys produce some pretty cool art. Do you have a personal favorite?
    Many.Here are some that make my pants wet fill me with joy!

Are you involved with any mods on TWC or other sites? Which ones? Are you on the team in a artistic capacity?
    I have not really helped other mods, the only part i have contributed in was making the sigs for "Forgotten Realms of Middle Earth", a sub mod for Third Age Total War. Here is the link!

Are their any people on TWC that you look up to or appreciate artistically?
    I actually admire many fellow artists here in TWC, but those who really stand out are TAG ( his signatures are just amazing!!), Tzar ( the best logos and avatars around here), Abbews and Lolgast for their astounding imagination!Again , sorry if i forgot someone ( im actually sure i have...) but im a little over-excited right now!!

What about outside of TWC is there anyone that influences your work?

No, i usually get inspired by music to make a work of art ( if i can call it that way!!)

Do you have any tips you would like to share with your fellow art geeks?
    Remember, the Sharpen filter is an artist's Bible!!

Do you have any final words for our fellow TWC'ers?

I would like to thank everyone who has helped me with their criticism (good or bad, it doesn't really matter...), because its the only thing that keeps me going. Also a big thanks to the whole TWC community, your awesomeness has made this the best forum i have ever been!!

Thanks Wil. It has been a blast!
    Link to Workshop

Special Question Period with the world famous GUY
    Question Period with Guy

Hello Guy, could you please introduce yourself?
    Hello abbews, and thank you for having me! Firstly my name is genuinely 'Guy', hence the amazing user name. I'm a student as well as a socialist currently living in the north of England, but I'm German at heart. Unfortunately, I'm currently undergoing my last few exams in order to get into college and possibly rule the world (don't quote me on that). I plan on studying 'German Language', 'Govt. and Politics' and 'Graphic Design and Media'.

You are very well known inside the Graphics Workshop, but for those infidels that don't hang out there, explain your role in TWC.
    Well, seeing as all I can remember is a few brief periods, I have a great place to start. A few years back, myself and 'Caradog' (now known as 'Desperado') were the newbies of the 'Sig/Avatar/Userbar Service' thread. Once the older members had moved on, we decided to pursue it further and eventually we ended up creating both the 'Content Artists' as well as the 'Graphics Workshop'. However, I did have to resign due to the lovely coursework that my school was dumping in my pigeon hole. Other than that, I was once a Local Moderator, Junior Moderator, Content Artist, Wiki Staff and temporary CdeC member. Not much, really.

Nowadays, I usually try to bring up some more controversial posts away from the GW (I hear it's called 'trolling'), but it's nice to participate every now and then as well as admire the work created by the über-talented artists of TWC.

What image editing program do you use?
    Adobe Photoshop. Personally, I think it's the best program in the business for editing images, not to forget Microsoft Paint (a well-kept secret of the GW).

How come you started using Adobe Photoshop?
    I first remember that I wanted to edit an image on my brand-new PC, but I had no software to do it with, unlike my brother. At the time, he was using 'Adobe Photoshop Elements 2.0', which was pretty damn amazing. I installed it on my own PC, and that's how I first started editing images on the Internet.

Also, when I was browsing the Internet for some new software, I got word of a program called GIMP. Eager to find out what this program was, I regretfully Googled 'GIMP' - the results were pretty shocking.

As you can imagine, I didn't want anything to do with anything GIMP-related, and continue to use Photoshop (CS).

When you want to get inspiration, do you listen on music? If yes, what kind of music?
    Certainly. Art is the expression of a mind; music is an expression of the mind - catch my drift? I think it's very inspirational, but can vary as to what type of piece of I'm creating.

I often listen to music made by 'Rammstein', 'Peter Fox', 'Revolverheld' and anything listed on my iTunes. If I'm not in the mood for noise, I'll simply create a piece in silence. Rolf Harris is pretty good though...
    Rammstein you say, do you think your art represents that kind of music? (metal)
    In some ways, yes; in some ways, no. It really depends on the piece which I'm creating. Say if I was creating a Powerpuff girls signature for myself, which I never would... Rammstein wouldn't exactly be my number one choice of music. However, when I'm creating more darker pieces, I would head for Rammstein straight away as I feel it's quite influential music.

All of us reach a point when we have no inspiration, do you do anything special to get inspiration back again?
    I tend to look back on the work I've created or view other people's work for ideas. Along time ago, when TWC was merely a single cell, Manji was my master and I was his apprentice. I'd use his work and tips for inspiration when I was getting started within the graphical world. If not, once again, I'd retreat to my iTunes for something to spice up my mood and get creating!
    Do you use any particular tools except for Photoshop? i.e a Tablet?
    Other than the mouse, my hand and PS - it's all me. I suppose if I were to follow graphics on as a career then I may consider purchasing some handy tools to help me create more in depth work, but, until then, I'll remain as I am.

Do you plan on getting on a career that involves CG(computer graphics)?
    I have certainly thought about it. At the moment, I have just finished my final standard and fine art course at school and have applied to take graphic design as an option at college, but, seeing as I'm hoping to moving to Germany, I certainly hope I can find a suitable job related to Grafikdesign.

You are quite active giving help to mods, can you explain what you assist mods with? And to what mods?
    Quite recently, I devoted some of my work to the upcoming mod 'Europe in Conflict', a mod designed for N:TW. However, in the past, I've worked with mods such as Rome: Total Realism and Broken Crescent (this was very short lived). I'm basically a signature/2D graphic designer. I don't dedicate myself to any mod, but I feel helping out might bring me a bit of good karma! Also, I find helping out with work such as this has helped me improve my skills, so it's a win/win situation where we can both benefit.

Is there any artist on TWC that you look up to?
    Certainly! That artist would be Manji. However, despite Manji's brilliant abilities with the work of arts, his activity as of late has become very inconsistent and tends to snoop around every now and again. My involvement with him was simple: he taught me the basics of everything I know now. In a way, he's main reason I persisted with my interest in graphic design; I'm grateful for his help.
    Also, Lord Rahl is certainly someone who I admire. Back when I joined, Rahl was the don of graphics and I grew quite envious of his brilliant work. Sadly, as the years have passed, the older few tend to retreat elsewhere...
    Thanks for letting me interviewing you, it's been a pleasure. Is there any last words you wanna say? Do you got any advice to someone who aspire to become a graphical artist someday?
    Thank you, abbews. The pleasure is mutual; thanks for having me.

I suppose I could throw a few words out: "remember: nobody is every better than you at graphic art - they just know what to put where on a blank canvas."
    Special thanks to Abbews... Maybe I can farm out more writing.
    Link to Workshop

The Silver Shield Classifieds

MEDIEVAL II KINGDOMS
    De Bello Gallico

Mod Overview

De Bello Gallico is a Roman Era modification, covering Caesars' Gallic Wars. We wish to bring this exciting series of wars to the M2K engine. The main campaign will follow Caesar as he brings the whole of Gaul to its knees, and eventually his march to Rome, and the end of the Roman Republic.

Mod Information

Platform: M2TW Kingdoms

Main Forum: Link

Developers Profile: Link

Positions Available

Jobs available:

1. Modellers

2. Historians/Researchers

3. Mappers

These are the main positions we are recruiting on, but we are also looking for people on all other fronts.

Modellers:

Requirements: Knowledge of lowpoly and or highpoly modeling.

The job: creation of new equipment, and or creation of strat map models

Historians:

Requirements: interest in history of the gallic wars.

The job: reading, making summaries for the team, thinking about implementation of ideas, finding material for new units

Mappers:

Requirements: Ability to create a campaign map

The job: Adding regions to our current campaign map, as well as adding different landscape features such as mountains, rivers, and ground types.

BROKEN CRESENT 3.0
    Mod Overview

Broken Crescent a mod legendary in name has begun development on it's next version. The limits of map, factions, and units will be reached as BC will be ported to MEII Kingdoms. A new team has been assembled, but more talented modders are needed.

569 years have passed since the Hijra.
    The world of Islam is divided.
    The crescent is broken.
    From the shores of the Bahr al-Rum to the Hindustan, from the Bilar al-Saqaliba to the Bilad al-Barbar – there is perpetual war raging.
    The war for fame. The war for land and riches. The war for souls.
    Muslim steel drinks Muslim blood with just the same
    willingness as it drinks blood of Kuffar.
    This cannot be!
    Will you bring an end to this chaos, my Sultan? Will you bring peace to this realm of human misery?
    Will you succeed, my Lord?
    Inshallah!
    But sleep light, oh Mighty one! For there is an envious dagger lurking in the darkness of Your court!

The Broken Crescent 3.0 team would like to present to you the first new preview after the BC 2.0 release! It is rather a pre-preview, a foretaste of what we want to include in next major version of the mod, but we hope that what we present now is satisfying enough to support our efforts.
    We all are very happy that we can further improve Broken Crescent – which is already one of the greatest modifications of Medieval 2 Total War! We would like to underline the fact that we are continuing the work of other great modders, who did very much to give us this exceptional piece of work called Broken Crescent. Many thanks to them!
    However, there are lots of wonderful things to be included in a mod, and Broken Crescent lacks many of them. Looking at our plans one could think that we intend to make a completely new mod.
    Indeed, the list of things to implement is quite long and our plans are bold.
    One would ask: what is the scope of further development?
    Roughly speaking it is:
    1. New, bigger and more detailed map.
    2. New factions.

Mod Information
    Broken Cresent 3.0 will be available for Medieval 2 kingdoms
    LINK TO MAIN FORUM
    LINK TO MOD LEADER(s)
    wudang_clown
    Y2day
    OpiumGhost79

Positions currently available
    Jobs available:

1. Coders [vacancy]

2. Modellers [vacant!]

3. Texturers [vacant!]

4. Historians/Researchers [vacant!]

Coding:

Requirements: knowledge about coding syntax, relation between various text files and knowledge about game factors influenced by changes in text files...

The job: creation of traits&ancillaries system, faction specific campaigns, events, changes in recruitment system, buildings-effects system, economic system, military supply system, etc. in collaboration with researchers.

Modellers:

Requirements: experienced modeler.

The job: creation of new units or/and strat map models.

Texturers:

Requirements: experienced texturer, good 2d art skills.

The job: creation of textures for new units or/and strat map models, elements of UI.

Historians:

Requirements: interest in history of India, Central Asia, Middle East, North-Western Africa, Anatolia, interest in medieval Asian warfare + up to 10 hours of spare time a week.

The job: reading, making summaries for the team, thinking about implementation of ideas, finding material for new units
    ROAD TO JERUSALEM 4.0
    Mod Overview
    Road to Jerusalem: A mod for Kingdoms focusing on the Crusades. Featuring completely new units, factions and much more, in three seperate campaigns. A mod legendary in name and the first big mod for Medieval 2 began development on version 4.0 nearly year ago. The Mod based on Rammstein's vision as all previous version were done by him. We have assembled a new team and are finished near 70% of mod to date. But more talented modders are needed to help finish. Become a part of a legend. Road to Jerusalem 4.0 needs you!

Mod Information
    RTJ 4.0 will be available for Medieval 2 kingdoms
    LINK TO MAIN FORUM
    LINK TO MOD LEADER(s)
    master zuma
    sinople
    y2day

Positions currently available
    Jobs available:

1. Modellers [5 vacancy]

2. Texturers [5 vacancy!]

4. Historians/Researchers [vacant!]

Modellers:

Texturers:

The job: creation of textures for new units or/and strat map models, elements of UI.
    DOMINION OF THE SWORD
    Mod Overview
    Dominion of the Sword is an ambitious project aimed at making a Super-mod, we have a large team made up of several contributing mods as well as our own dedicated staff. The mod aims to maximize the possibilities in the M2TW engine to make a game with realism, historical accuracy and playability. Most of all we are concentrating on an atmospheric and fully immersible experience of medieval warfare and rulership.

Mod Information
    Dominion will be available for Medieval 2 kingdoms
    LINK TO MAIN FORUM
    LINK TO MOD LEADER(s)
    Hross
    Alkidas
    Azim
    Copperknickers II
    Resurrection
    Subuatai de Bodemloze
    Sumskils

Positions available
    Jobs available:

1. Coders [1 vacancy]

2. Modellers [vacant!]

3. Texturers [vacant!]
    Examples

Coding:

Requirements: knowledge about coding syntax, relation between various text files and knowledge about game factors influenced by changes in text files...

The job: creation of traits&ancillaries system, faction specific campaigns, events, changes in recruitment system, buildings-effects system, economic system, military supply system, etc. in collaboration with researchers.

Modellers:

Texturers:

TWCENTER.NET Publications
    Silver Shield

(as posted in the Silver Auxilia)

Local Moderators of TWC,

We Want You!

The Silver Shield News Publication is now seeking writers and reporters to join our team in highlighting the best of TWC's local communities. If you are a creative writer or aspiring journalist this is a great opportunity to hone your talent and get some exposure.

The following requirements apply for consideration:

• You must be a Local Moderator
    • Attention to detail
    • Good grammar
    • Strong work ethic
    • Enjoy what you do

Salary and benefits negotiable

So what are you waiting for? Send us your resume!

Silver Shield

TWC Games
    Mafia

ATTENTION! PLAYERS WANTED!

If you have a bit of free time on your hands, then perhaps its worth trying a forum game, 'mafia' to be precised.

Its hard for me to explain it here, but its a relatively easy game to play and all sorts of people are (or have previously played it) playing it.

If your interested in learning more about the basic rules of the game click here!

PM me if your interested in the concept of the game and I can tell you when the next available game opens up.

Thank you to Armatus for directing me here, I hope some of you consider this, the game is very easy to understand although becoming great at it may require a few games.

Closing Comments
    Well that's all for this edition folks. Hope you enjoyed some or all our our hard work. Thank you for taking the time to read our lil' paper. If you have a comment or a question or wish to contribute feel free to contact Armatus or myself. We can always find room at our table. Adios!

© The Silver Shield A publication of the TWC local moderators social group: The Silver Auxilia
    Last edited by Subuatai de Bodemloze; July 20, 2010 at 10:51 AM.

Nole4694's Avatar Procrastination Power!

Default Re: The Silver Shield - 10th Edition

Hurrah! Good job everyone!
    God Save The King
    Gosse Durrant - Baron of Huntington - 24

Former contributor to the
    Go on! Take a look at their latest issue!

Under the patronage of the Black Prince

Great work ALL!

And take care Tzar and Y!

And Kippky Great job on the Adorno1 interview!

"I'm a man of wealth and taste..." (my new line)

So is this released? There's a center tag showing below the interview with Guy.
    Last edited by Armatus; July 12, 2010 at 04:19 PM.

Another great edition, well done guys
    The House of Wilpuri ~ Proud Patron of: The Noble Lord & Sumskilz

y2day's Avatar TWC STORE NOW OPEN!
    Content Emeritus spy of the council

Great work everyone. It was an honor to work with all of you fine gentlemen. I look forward to contributing to the SS in my new/old role.

y

TWC Graphics Workshop Art Competition!!!
    MEMBER OF THE IMPERIAL HOUSE OF HADER

Shogun's back - didn't see that coming. Sweet

Interesting stuff all of it. Nice work.
    "How shall humankind ever find peace if the soul remains conscious in the sky and the shadow in the Underworld? The combination of sweet bait and naivety completely destroyes Nature's best gift: death, and doubles the agony of the dying with worries of a future!" - Pliny the Elder

Looking forward to seeing more forts in your mod

Nice! Very interesting stuff!

abbews's Avatar The Screen Door Slams

Great edidtion - as always

LuckyLewis's Avatar Loutre
    Content Emeritus

Congratulations Subuatai on your position as the new editor, I'm sure you shall do a fine job.

Another first rate edition of the Sliver Shield with high quality work. I particularly like the graphics section to see all the latest winners of the graphics competitions, I won't even bother trying to hide my envy of their talents.
    Muh signature is so out of date all muh pictures died.

Finlander's Avatar ★Absolutely Fin-bulous★
    Content Emeritus

Great work!

• Son of MasterBigAb; • Father of St. PolycarpeKahvipannuRadboudMhaedrosGeMiNi][SaNDy
    FlinnUndyingNephalimKAM 2150
    Charerg

Great one guys, as usual..

Hesus de bodemloze's Avatar The Gaul
    Civitate Patrician Content Emeritus

Nice Edition people, a job well done.
    Horum omnium fortissimi sunt Belgae :
    Hesus 's Photo Gallery
    The Writers Study|Ex-Global Moderator|Moderation Mentor| Ex - Librarian of the Scriptorium|PoTW|MAARC|ToTW
    SPQR Forum Moderator

apple's Avatar Searching for 42

Grat job guys.
    Son of Legio
    Father of Paedric & Remlap
    Roma Surrectum II, Ages of Darkness II, Rome Total Realism & RTR: Imperium Surrectum Developer

Mundus Bellicus - TWC - ModDB - Discord - Steam

Hey old colleagues,

I see that you guy's are still writing nice quality stuff, I wanted but now I think that you don't need me lol.

Great Job guy's and Y you were a good boss.
    TIME TO DIE!!!! Proud Son of Viking Prince

Hey there you know you can still write for us anytime mate.

Quote Originally Posted by Armatus View Post
    Hey there you know you can still write for us anytime mate.
    I will think about it, maybe I will. I see that the team as shorten a lot. BTW you should update this thread http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=307534 it's just a suggestion.
    TIME TO DIE!!!! Proud Son of Viking Prince

kastrologos's Avatar Libertus

Congratulations on that great edition and if you count the crashed server, its still a good job. Subuatai siderokefalos (ironhead) as we say in Greece for your new position.

aut Ceasar aut nihil - ή Καίσαρ ή τίποτα - or Ceasar or nothing

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Rebel6666 View Post
    I will think about it, maybe I will. I see that the team as shorten a lot. BTW you should update this thread http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=307534 it's just a suggestion.
    lol yes we should...

Magister Militum Flavius Aetius's Avatar δούξ θρᾳκήσιου
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

Wonderful job! Although i was hoping for RTW2...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast