Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Consulate of Celer and Decimus

Praepositus
    Citizen

Default Re: Consulate of Celer and Decimus

OOC: Trust me, I have the save. In the latest one we have 16,000 Denarii and all buildings have been built. It's because chaplain conquered the towns and exterminated them.

Seeing that the motion to put Celer in power in Asia has been inconclusive, might we then finally proceed with the election of a suffectus governor for Asia?

Crusades
    Historical fiction - Fifty Tales from Rome

Can YOU dance like the Cookie Man?
    Improbe amor quid non mortalia pectora cogis? - The Aeneid
    I run an Asteroid mining website. Visit it before James Cameron takes it from me.

Junius's Avatar Domesticus
    Citizen

The aged figure of the 50 year old Spurius Geganius Macerinus enters the Senate. One of the old guard of conservative patricians he is a recognised, if not frequent, face around the Senate. Those who would take notice, not that there are many, would see that he takes his place conspicuously near the front of the benches. In the minor actions of men a lot can be told. None could be so minor as choosing where to sit, but it was the first action of a newly energised and public Spurius. More accustomed to the basillica, he waits until the correct moment to announce himself of this new stage.
    Proud to be under the patronage of Calvin.
    Patron of Lysimachus

Madness! To allow a man who has shown both violent and erratic tendencies to assume he has control of four legions and worse to give him ideas of holding Imperium in two provinces! We have Consul Decimus unwilling to leave the city in the hands of a Praetor and a perfectly able candidate in Herrenius to send to the East. The urgency of the situation, cannot be doubted if we lose Rhodes trade will be ruined in the East.

Why do we keep him here when he is obviously perfectly capable, if not consider it this way, with fighting off the entirety of Egypt he will not have any time to go flower picking!

I again propose that Herrenius is sent to Asia as the suffectus Pro-Consul. The city will be hit hard from a loss of trade from Egypt and we must resolve this issue quickly. There really is no time and as soon as Herrenius is declared in fit mind to go by the Tribunal then he should leave straight away.
    YATS NAME: Marcus Calpurnius Bestia - 52 [Plebeian]

But in the event that the tribunal does indeed prove Herrenius to be of unfit character for Proconsulate, I'd like to nominate Spurius Geganius Macerinus, who has finally returned to the Senate after years of absence in our hallowed halls. An unwavering man of conviction and virtue, who lives only to serve our Republic.

Crusades

I run an Asteroid mining website. Visit it before James Cameron takes it from me.

Citizen

Geganius was shocked to hear his name on the lips of such a leading Senator, at such an early stage. Thrust into the political melee before he would have chosen it, with only a half formed speech in his mind about the role of government and the importance of tradition, he rises to address this surprising, but flattering, nomination.

Pallas is indeed a very generous man. Today is my first day in the Senate. True I was here before, I have existed in these hallowed halls, but I have never truly lived here. I had a dream last night. My ancestors came to visit me, and rebuke me for the fate of our gens. I have come here to do good by my ancestors, and to my future descendants. The nomination of me by Pallas is a flattering one, but I must decline.

How can a man who has no head for administration, no prior experience, lead a province of our Empire? How can a man, who has so failed his family, be trusted to succeeded with a much more important matter? I would very much like to accept, to impress in the annals the name of the Geganii, but to do that would put the desires of an old man before the good of the Empire, for which so much has been shed. I must decline. Not because I scorn the position, but because I value it too much to be entrusted to an untested lawyer too used to grandstanding in the basillica.

I shall work for Rome in other ways, have no doubt, and I shall work so that one day I shall be worthy of such a nomination. That is not today. Nominate to the position a more worthy man, so that I can work to be as worthy.
    Patron of Lysimachus

Pallas smiled and nodded at Macerinus.

If that is the case, then we must pray that Herrenius is acquitted of the crimes laid against him. Time is of the essence, Senators, and the Ptolemaios are at our doorsteps if we do not go forth and destroy their field armies. And also, I would like to bring the attention of the Senate to the reports of Proconsul Rhadamanthus, namely his request for the expansion of the II Augusta and the return of the XIII Fretensis and X Primigenia. Now, in wake of the victories that the Proconsul has won, and the loss of men that came about from the victories, it is a logical choice to be able to quickly replace any loss of men. Being that both the XIII and the X have their training grounds elsewhere in the Republic and the II has its training grounds in Africa herself, it is only logical that we take the soldiers of the XIII and X back and let the Proconsul have the command of a single, expanded legion.

Crusades

That makes sense. Proconsul Rhadamanthus has done an excellent job subduing the Carthaginians. He has gained us new lands and has thus far proven himself to be both prudent and resourceful fine hallmarks in any general. The might of his conquest prompts a man to wonder whether he may deserve a Triumph for his magnificent endeavours. Although, knowing his character he may well refuse. Regardless it is an option to consider if you feel his conquests worthy enough.

Then if there are no objections among the senators gathered here today, I propose the following motion:

Senatum Consultum de Rebus Militaris Africae

I. The II Augusta shall be expanded until it is at the strengths of three normal legions.
    II. The XIII Fretensis and X Primigenia are to fall back under Senatorial command
    III. The Proconsul must apply for permission from the Senate before using either the XIII or the X
    IV. The attachment of artillery corp of the XIII Fretensis shall be relocated to an attachment of the II Augusta

As to the matter of a Triumph, he has not finished his objective for the conquest of Africa and the destruction of Carthage. To offer it now would be akin to counting our chickens before they have even hatched, so to speak. I cannot endorse a Triumph for an incomplete conquest.

Crusades

Seconded, let the Consul put it to vote.

Praepositus
    Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by Birderer View Post
    Madness! To allow a man who has shown both violent and erratic tendencies to assume he has control of four legions and worse to give him ideas of holding Imperium in two provinces! We have Consul Decimus unwilling to leave the city in the hands of a Praetor and a perfectly able candidate in Herrenius to send to the East. The urgency of the situation, cannot be doubted if we lose Rhodes trade will be ruined in the East.
    "Guard your words Gerges. I never once said that I was unwilling to leave it in the hands of the Praetor, I insinuated that I would prefer to leave it in the hands of a Consul. If people had not been so pedantic about a minor fact in the bill the situation would already be resolved, and I would be on my way to Asia at this very point in time. You all seem to forget that I can veto his military decisions so that if he did decide to use four legions I could very well stop him."

Why do we keep him here when he is obviously perfectly capable, if not consider it this way, with fighting off the entirety of Egypt he will not have any time to go flower picking!

I again propose that Herrenius is sent to Asia as the suffectus Pro-Consul. The city will be hit hard from a loss of trade from Egypt and we must resolve this issue quickly. There really is no time and as soon as Herrenius is declared in fit mind to go by the Tribunal then he should leave straight away.
    "You would suggest bypasing procedure to send him to Asia. You as praetor should hold procedure in high regard. No, if he is to be elected we should waste more time, as seems to be the Senates aim.

That makes sense. Proconsul Rhadamanthus has done an excellent job subduing the Carthaginians. He has gained us new lands and has thus far proven himself to be both prudent and resourceful fine hallmarks in any general. The might of his conquest prompts a man to wonder whether he may deserve a Triumph for his magnificent endeavours. Although, knowing his character he may well refuse. Regardless it is an option to consider if you feel his conquests worthy enough.
    "May I bring to the Senates attention that ProConsul Rhadamanthus acted without the Imperium to do so in Africa. Yes he has the Imperium to attact Cirta (whatever it's called), but not to attack Lepcis Minor. The Constitution states that a proconsul may only continue his attack to chase an attacker, nay a defender. He has therefore broken the rules and acted upon his own whim. For this reason I would deny him the honor of triumph altogether."

Senatum Consultum de Rebus Militaris Africae

I. The II Augusta shall be expanded until it is at the strengths of three normal legions.
    II. The XIII Fretensis and X Primigenia are to fall back under Senatorial command
    III. The Proconsul must apply for permission from the Senate before using either the XIII or the X
    IV. The attachment of artillery corp of the XIII Fretensis shall be relocated to an attachment of the II Augusta
    "The bill shall be put to vote."

With Herrenius' name cleared it is realistic if done with haste to bring about Suffectus Elections, I trust after going through that trial that Herrenius will stand, are there any more who wish to be considered for election?

As for Rhadamanthus' decision as I understand it he continued to follow the same general as he fled to a different city, he was therefore pursuing an attacker and has done no wrong to the Senates authority.

Praepositus
    Citizen

"Yes. I will stand."

Citizen

Senator Geganius at this time rose, looking straight at the Consul.

Our learned Consul has such an obvious and correct affection for our laws. It seems odd than that he would disregard the one law which protects our Republic from the enemy within.

The old Senator now turned to the assembled faces

I may not be a seasoned operator here, but I am a lawyer, and I can see a violation of one of our most ancient traditions just as any true Roman can. First there is the letter of the law he would be breaking if he did run adn was successful. The articles defining a Proconsul state that he acts 'in place of a Consul'. This phrase clearly shows the intention that no man could be Consul and Proconsul at the same time.

Secondly, and more egregiously this man shows a lust of power in all arenas, both in Rome and in her provinces. Such a man is dangerous to the Republic, and should not be allowed to hold power.

I speak here not to prosecute Octavius, but rather to save him the good work he has already done for Rome. I do not want such a man's memory dragged in the mud. I also speak to protect Rome from dangerous men. She has endured long, but that is only from the vigilance of this institution. We can not let this vigilance lapse, and it will not. Finally, I speak to you to remember your duty to hold up the laws that protect Rome, and protect Rome yourselves. Senators, listen!
    Patron of Lysimachus

Herrenius walked into the Curia. His toga was now cleaner, his face still looked tired, older, yet there was some inner contentment, that of a man who sees his plans becoming true.

"Consul, senators. If you will approve, I would like to head to the East, after becoming Proconsul, of course."

Praepositus
    Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by Junius View Post
    Senator Geganius at this time rose, looking straight at the Consul.

Our learned Consul has such an obvious and correct affection for our laws. It seems odd than that he would disregard the one law which protects our Republic from the enemy within.

The old Senator now turned to the assembled faces

I may not be a seasoned operator here, but I am a lawyer, and I can see a violation of one of our most ancient traditions just as any true Roman can. First there is the letter of the law he would be breaking if he did run adn was successful. The articles defining a Proconsul state that he acts 'in place of a Consul'. This phrase clearly shows the intention that no man could be Consul and Proconsul at the same time.

Secondly, and more egregiously this man shows a lust of power in all arenas, both in Rome and in her provinces. Such a man is dangerous to the Republic, and should not be allowed to hold power.

I speak here not to prosecute Octavius, but rather to save him the good work he has already done for Rome. I do not want such a man's memory dragged in the mud. I also speak to protect Rome from dangerous men. She has endured long, but that is only from the vigilance of this institution. We can not let this vigilance lapse, and it will not. Finally, I speak to you to remember your duty to hold up the laws that protect Rome, and protect Rome yourselves. Senators, listen!
    Quintillius, seeing he is facing a learned opponent here thinks for a while.

"Whilst you may be true in one sense, the articles do not define what should happen in this event. One may take the term 'in place of a consul' to mean that a Consul cannot occupy that position, but as others have noted before me it could also be taken, and the name does suggest this, that a Proconsul is merely a Consul that governs the provinces. The laws, whilst suggesting that it shouldn't happen, do not directly state that a Consul cannot be a Proconsul at the same time. You say that I have a lust for power in all arenas. I say nay, I do not. I simply want the best for Rome, and you can see by Herrenius's appearance that he is not it."

He pauses for a second, pacing the floor.

"You state that you wish to stop dangerous men from harming Rome. It has been proven that Herrenius here is at least addicted to the drug. Where do you think he will focus his attention on in Asia? Nay, not the Diadochi. He will head for the fields, protect his interests there."

He concedes a little, feeling he may be too harsh here.

"If you would not accept me as proconsul then at least give me imperium to deal with the situation. That is all that I ask, that I be allowed to deal with these treacherous Diadochi."

Consul, you dissapoint me. Missjudging my character, my intentions. Despite the fact that I am a senior member of this house, you continue to be swayed by the words of idiots, destroying my reputation as a senator and a soldier by merely suggesting that I am not capable of doing what I have done my whole life: serve my nation. I call you a fool, a blind man who is clearly incapable of leading this house.

An enemy invades. The proconsul disappears. Your course of action? Send a man fit to defend as quickly as possible? Nay! Let's take the word of a lying freedman and let our foe invade Roman soil while we hold a mockery of a trial! Finally, declare the man innocent and then continue to prevent him from leaving to the wars!

You continue to try to bend the laws for you to take charge, despite the interpretation of several members who deny the legality of your measure, yet, the obvious solution to any rational man is right before your eyes. A proconsul is needed, and you have begun the search for a suffectus, and here I am. I AM a senator, eligible for the office of Proconsul, and unless you banish me from this House, you will be disregarding a candidate for election, an illegal measure, I can assure.

Praepositus
    Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by Ozy View Post
    Consul, you dissapoint me. Missjudging my character, my intentions. Despite the fact that I am a senior member of this house, you continue to be swayed by the words of idiots, destroying my reputation as a senator and a soldier by merely suggesting that I am not capable of doing what I have done my whole life: serve my nation. I call you a fool, a blind man who is clearly incapable of leading this house.

An enemy invades. The proconsul disappears. Your course of action? Send a man fit to defend as quickly as possible? Nay! Let's take the word of a lying freedman and let our foe invade Roman soil while we hold a mockery of a trial! Finally, declare the man innocent and then continue to prevent him from leaving to the wars!

You continue to try to bend the laws for you to take charge, despite the interpretation of several members who deny the legality of your measure, yet, the obvious solution to any rational man is right before your eyes. A proconsul is needed, and you have begun the search for a suffectus, and here I am. I AM a senator, eligible for the office of Proconsul, and unless you banish me from this House, you will be disregarding a candidate for election, an illegal measure, I can assure.
    "Be careful what you speak of Herrenius, your facts are not right. Firstly I have never prevented you from leaving to the wars, I am merely opening another option. If you are the right man for the job the Senate will choose you. I have just stated my opinion, no reputation destruction has taken place. Please elaborate on how I am bending the laws, there is no law which states that I may not take the place of Proconsul Severus. Indeed there is no precedent of this happening, but if you would study the laws more closely there isn't one with bars this happening. And I would call you slightly deluded if you say that one man is several senators."

He pauses for a moment.

"I would say now that you are the one doing the attacking. I have simply stated my opinion, you have turned it against me. I hold no grudge against you, yet you seem to against me. Calm yourself, before you embarrass yourself."

Exactly. A new option while all you have to do is elect me as Proconsul. Why? Why must our lands wait for a general to take a horse and lead to the East any longer? Has not enough time been wasted already? As I said a minute ago, you seem to be taking the irrational decision's here. Give me the command and be done with this now!

Praepositus
    Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by Ozy View Post
    Exactly. A new option while all you have to do is elect me as Proconsul. Why? Why must our lands wait for a general to take a horse and lead to the East any longer? Has not enough time been wasted already? As I said a minute ago, you seem to be taking the irrational decision's here. Give me the command and be done with this now!
    "And time has not already been wasted by not passing the perfectly adequate bill proposed by the Tribune?"

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast