Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Consulate of Celer and Decimus

Default Re: Curia Hostilia - Consulate of Celer and Decimus

Unfortunately there's not much good I can do here in Italy that can change the situation any meaningful amount. Not without taxing the already taxed and inciting rebellion that would cause economic collapse and force the disbandment of a legion.

How ironic, a rebellion would force us to have less military forces. Not a happy thought. I'm glad you find the terms acceptable senator.

At the end of his sentence he flew a slight wink at senator Pallas, a barely noticeable one. Maybe he would notice it, if not, it didn't matter very much.
    Last edited by dragoon47; July 14, 2010 at 02:24 AM.
    Lucius Valerius Poplicola - Patrician - 34

"Pallas, you prompted me to tak of my exploits when you questioned them. Now, a command against the Seleucids is not a Praetorian command, it is not a cut your teeth command, it is an experienced Consul command. Enough of this. Consul surely you agree with my logic?"
    Alistair Yronwood - Lord of Yronwood, Warden of the Stone Way, Blood Royal

"Darkness? I was born in it...molded by it. I didn't see the light until I was already a man. By then it was nothing to me but blinding! The shadows betray you because they belong to me!
    "But there must always be a Darth Traya, one that holds the knowledge of betrayal. Who has been betrayed in their heart, and will betray in turn."

"You clearly don't know who you're talking to, so let me clue you in. I am not in danger, I AM the danger! A guy opens his door and gets shot and you think that of me? No. I am the one who knocks! "

Praepositus
    Citizen

"Some of it Ceasar, some of it. Although others speak the truth as well. If I am 'inexperienced' as you put it, perhaps I should gain some experience. Could I suggest perhaps, that you would accompany me to Asia Minor and aid me. Then we get the best of both worlds."

As he sits down he simply says

"Food for thought."

"Consul, be inexperienced surely you understand that I meant that since this your first term as Consul whereas Celer has had two. As well, I do not seek any military commands, I am much too old. Consul, Celer served under Marius, Valerius Flaccus and his father. Almost all his potings abroad have resulted in him leading or fighting in the legions. He won a corona civica for his actions. There are few more esperienced then Celer. That with his ease of mobility due to his current posting and his relative seniority should be why he gets the command."

"Darkness? I was born in it...molded by it. I didn't see the light until I was already a man. By then it was nothing to me but blinding! The shadows betray you because they belong to me!
    "But there must always be a Darth Traya, one that holds the knowledge of betrayal. Who has been betrayed in their heart, and will betray in turn."

"You clearly don't know who you're talking to, so let me clue you in. I am not in danger, I AM the danger! A guy opens his door and gets shot and you think that of me? No. I am the one who knocks! "

Praepositus
    Citizen

"But this is where your logic ceases. How do you expect anyone else to gain experience if there is only one person doing all the fighting. Believe me when I say it won't happen. I mean no disrespect to you or Celer, but his recent outbursts make him rather instable shall we say. As others have stated they would like a more level headed person in charge of the legions. I for one cannot deny the Senates wishes, and would recommend that we put the bill ending Celer's imperium and handing it to me into practice. I do not do so for personal glory or ambition, simply for the Senate's wishes."

Caesar looked confused.

"Why would you put an end to his Imperium? He only has Imperium to conquer Illyria we are talking about Asia."

Caesar shook his head.

"Also, Consul, I hardly call Pallas, Gerges and Publicola THE SENATE. These men all publicly hate Celer. Let us wait for others to voice their opinions."

Praepositus
    Citizen

Decimus said nothing, but sighed loudly and sat back.

Raglan's Avatar ~~~

Senators, we are going in circles here. I see little harm in either consul going to asia. Remember the origin of pro-consuls. It means quite simply an extra consul to govern away from the senate. So to suggest that a consul can't is a strange twist of procedure.

I will support Consul Celer going to Asia. He is the closer after all. The problem with the suggestion of the senate running Asia, is the same as the reason we have Pro-Consuls, the distance makes it unmanagable. If Cato worries so, then perhaps Rome could have Greece and Macedon this year, and Asia-Minor goes to the Consul. That would leave the Consul with only the worries in the east. He would then have no focus except the threatening behaviour of the Selucids.

I don't hate Celer, stop driving us from the point. I just wish his theatrics were a bit more entertaining and fitting to certain situations.

Also, his posting would put him away from Asia. If you look, the roads are not well and his campaign brings him far further North into lands most people would rather not be. Saying that he's mobile ceases to be an argument once he pushes into sovereign Illyrian territory there's no doubt about it.

The argument we are making here is that although he has proven military experience, we need action now, unless we can come to a compromise which would waste time and resources in which Celer and Decimus' campaigns are switched.

This switch would however give the Illyrians more time to gain alliances against us and let them regroup after they are repulsed at Patavium, leading to more of the countryside being decimated and trade to the North being cut off as well as a longer and possibly more costly war.

There's also Primus' solution which, in my opinion, is far less costly to the war effort but does not allow Decimus any combat experience whatsoever.

My last point is that Celer wanted to go to Illyria in the first place. We were already attacked by everyone else involved, I don't see why he'd change his mind so quickly.

Lucius sat back down, exhausted by trying to appease every point of view.

"Celer is not against other Consuls getting experience he just thinks it would be unwise to put such a large war in the hands of an unexperienced soldier. Let us compromise: Celer will keep his command in Illyria and be made suffectus pro-consul of Asia. decimus will be granted the Asian command. This way Celer will be able to ensure that in case Decimus does falter he will be able to back him up."

Praepositus
    Citizen

"It is a good compromise. What does the senate think?"

Considering it benefits all parties and provides immediate action and a backup plan I support it.

Herrenius rose,

"Senators, if the Proconsul is removed from office, I would like to present myself as a suffectus. Celer is already Consul, while I have no office currently. I believe this is the best option."

He looked older, his hair was not properly arranged, his eyes glowing with a reddish hue, as if he had not slept well for days.

I must reach the East...there I shall find them...
    Last edited by Ozy; July 14, 2010 at 07:34 AM.

Caesar stood.

"Gentlemen, it is under these circumstances that I am forced to reveal some interesting and rather disturbing news about our former Consul Herrenius. It seems that we all know that a certain poppy has made it's way into Rome as of late. Now, one of the fields of the grower, who I do not know of as of yet was burnt and it was said to have caused the slaves to hallucinate and go near crazy. This is what peaked my interest so I got one of my men, a freedman named Pinchares, to find out who the grower of the poppy was. He didn't find out but did find the tavern where the business is done. He arrived and he saw the two men."

Caesar looked genuinely sad as he spoke.

"One of the men was unrecognizable due to his head facing Pinchares but the other man showed his face free and clear at one point."

Caesar looked to the ground and sighed he looked at Herrenius.

"It was Herrenius. The man was exchanging money for poppies, for business or pleasure I am not sure, and I think due to this Herrenius should be barred from standing for any positions until these facts have been approved or disapproved. But gentlemen..."

Caesar had trouble continuing.

"It seems...our good Consul HAS been corrupted! Look at how he dresses, how he conducts himself! He looks more beat then man! His speech was skewed and weak, not a speech of Herrenius."

Praepositus
    Citizen

Quintillius rises, looking angry.

"Is this true Herrenius?

An other man getting in his way. A slight pain emerged on the side of his head, barely perceivable back at the pub, now it was growing stronger. But it somehow fueled him to counter his attacks.

"Lies..." he said with a quiet voice.

He turned to the Consul, now smiling,

"I can assure you, great Quintillius, that this man's words are but gibberish. I have never been to a tavern in the city, not in decades that is, just not my kind place, nor do I know as of why this mysterious "freedman" could be stating such strange claims."

He then turned to Ceaser again,

"as of my clothes, Sir, if you must know I have been reclused the last weeks, an old friend of mine has gone to meet the gods, and I have been grieving the loss. I would have expected that a man who supports men such as Celer would not judge a man merely on his clothes and looks, as you have."

The pain grew stronger. He touched his eyes head to lease the pain, then turned up again. Looking back at the Consul.

"I am here to serve the Senate, Consul. Send me to Asia."

Quote Originally Posted by Ozy View Post
    An other man getting in his way. A slight pain emerged on the side of his head, barely perceivable back at the pub, now it was growing stronger. But it somehow fueled him to counter his attacks.

"Lies..." he said with a quiet voice.

He turned to the Consul, now smiling,

"I can assure you, great Quintillius, that this man's words are but gibberish. I have never been to a tavern in the city, not in decades that is, just not my kind place, nor do I know as of why this mysterious "freedman" could be stating such strange claims."

He then turned to Ceaser again,

"as of my clothes, Sir, if you must know I have been reclused the last weeks, an old friend of mine has gone to meet the gods, and I have been grieving the loss. I would have expected that a man who supports men such as Celer would not judge a man merely on his clothes and looks, as you have."

The pain grew stronger. He touched his eyes head to lease the pain, then turned up again. Looking back at the Consul.

"I am here to serve the Senate, Consul. Send me to Asia."
    "Lies! Lies you fool!"

Caesar was a experienced member of the Senate and he stood and marched down the steps of the rounded Curia and pointed at Herrenius with the authority of a man who had seen two consulships.

"Look at you! If you are grieving you are in no position or place to be put in charge of a province! Indeed, in your state why you even come to the Senate is questionable. But I know that it s YOU who lies, Consular! No, you come to this august meeting and stain it with foul drugs and behaviour! And you say that you have not been to the bar spoken of, well must I force the barkeep to testify? Tell me Herrenius does your head hurt? When was the last time you had the poppy? Do you want it? Do you NEED it?"

Caesar rubbed his chin in pondering then smiled in understanding.

"I understand why you wish to go East. I assume this...drug...is grown out East? Herrenius, give up your supplier! Tell this entire Senate assembled who the man who gives you your drugs is and then, perhaps, we can get you the help you need in order to govern a province."

Caesar had the poor man trapped. If he wanted his drugs he would have to give up Pallas, if not he would be deemed unfit to serve.

Praepositus
    Citizen

Quintillius, looking for a moment towards the Censor, stands angrily.

"Silence. Caeser, Herrenius I suggest you both close your mouths. I suggest that we get the testimony of the Tavernkeeper, Praetor would you be so kind as to fetch him. I feel that this case should be presented in the Curia."

He then waves to one of his lictors.

"Fetch us this man, Pinchares."

Quote Originally Posted by ulti View Post
    Quintillius, looking for a moment towards the Censor, stands angrily.

"Silence. Caeser, Herrenius I suggest you both close your mouths. I suggest that we get the testimony of the Tavernkeeper, Praetor would you be so kind as to fetch him. I feel that this case should be presented in the Curia."

He then waves to one of his lictors.

"Fetch us this man, Pinchares."
    OOC: Pinchares is my freedman...

Praepositus
    Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by RVFVS View Post
    OOC: Pinchares is my freedman...
    OOC: In that case, you fetch him please.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast