Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567

Thread: Consulate of Celer and Decimus

Default Re: Consulate of Celer and Decimus

There is no need for such meassure. That is all my point. Again, I cannot comprehend how you allowed a mere rumor to become into a senatorial trial and delayed our legions and progress in the war. But regardless of if it passes or not, Asia needs a proconsul, does it not?

Octavius you shame yourself, despite declaring Herrenius fit to govern in your "trial" you continue to use this excuse to halt him from going, I wonder if you do not have another person in you to pop out every now and again. It is disappointing to see you change your mind within such a short space of time and I worry that a man as indecisive as you are showing yourself to be is the man we need to fight off Rome's enemies, your tactics on the battlefield may become incredibly disorganised if you change your mind every five minutes.

If you insist on running despite the illogicality of it then I would request that the election is up and running immediately as there are no more forthcoming candidates.
    YATS NAME: Marcus Calpurnius Bestia - 52 [Plebeian]

The Tribune's suggestion was anything but simplistic. It called for one consul to act as governor while the other consul as general. A wholly unnecessary use of resources when a suffectus could be elected, and considering that the candidate in question was the Tribune's own father-in-law, it surprises me that he would go so far as to oppose Herrenius.

Crusades
    Historical fiction - Fifty Tales from Rome

Can YOU dance like the Cookie Man?
    Improbe amor quid non mortalia pectora cogis? - The Aeneid
    I run an Asteroid mining website. Visit it before James Cameron takes it from me.

Junius's Avatar Domesticus
    Citizen

Pallas makes a point, upon which I would like to elaborate.

The office of Proconsul has always been given administrative and military powers in the provinces. This has allowed both to be put unanimously to the end of increasing the stature and safety of the Republic. To put two different men in charge of those two areas will create a tension and conflict between them, the fields of administration and military, which would not be healthy for the province. One mind acts in a clear and unobstructed way, something which two minds could never do to the same degree. It has been the way it's always been done, and it has worked. Not since the days of Hannibal has Rome ever been under threat. To throw out this system may put that safety in jeopardy, and that can not be allowed to happen.

Since there has been confusion in the mind of our Consul, I would like to propose a law to clarify the situation.

Lex de Rebus Provinciarum
    • No man shall hold Imperium in Italy and a Province, except in certain, emergency circumstances.
    • If their are no able candidates to hold Imperium in either Italy or a Province, a 2/3rds non-abstaining majority vote in the Senate may appoint a man to a second Imperium.
    • The Consuls Imperium is in Italy, whereas a Proconsuls Imperium is in the Provinces
    Of course, we must allow for exceptional circumstances, and this law addresses that. The last clause is not a new point of law, but is included for clarification and for ease of understanding. If someone has something which would make this a better law, they have an obligation to speak up now.
    Proud to be under the patronage of Calvin.
    Patron of Lysimachus

Raglan's Avatar ~~~

Cato that was hardly my proposal. You show your lazyness in your comments. Senators, you can see that the man acts in a partisan way, even when Rome itself is at risk.

Sending one consul to deal with Eygpt and annother with Selucia, so each can focus on their opponent is hardly the foolish proposal he says it is.

Is that so, Tribune. Let us examine your proposal and its contents.

1-Consul (ulti-no-name-in-his-signature-other-than-Fosdyke) shall immediately head to Asia, his duty shall be to defend Asia with whatever resources he has until the rest of this proposal occurs.
    2- he shall be given 5,000 denari to help him. He is encouraged not to spend it, but may do so if he needs to.
    3- Consul Celer shall march into Illyria with his legions, destroy any gathering of men he can find
    4- if either a) he destroys Illyrias armies, or b) six weeks pass, he shall then immediately head towards Asia with two of his four legions.
    5- once in Asia he shall immediately support Consul (ulti-no-name-in-his-signature-other-than-Fosdyke)
    6- once all armies have been driven out of Asia they shall share command. Each consul with the Imperium to attack a single city of each diadochi then pursue a peace option. They shall give away nothing of significance in such a peace.
    7- the results of such negotiations will be reported to the Curia. While we debate the Consul who fails in his peace shall hold the foe at bay
    So, according to this, we will send Decimus first to Asia as an able general there, effectively replacing Severus' command. He will be in command of the legions already present in Asia, which amounts to three if my memory serves me correctly. Meanwhile, Celer is to march to Asia afterwards with his own two legions. Once there, they will embark on an eastward march to take as many cities and towns as they can. But why must we do this? Is it absolutely necessary? It is a complication of the situation that need not happen. Far better it would be to send one consul there to have supreme military command than to send two. And in the time it will take Celer to march to Asia, time might have already expired for his consulship. Send one man, not two.

Also, we have heard precious little words from Celer. Wasn't he supposed to have taken Ilyria by now? Or have his lofty conquest fallen on evil days? Why have we not heard words from him? Surely he isn't dead?

Now, Geganius, if you will just clarify your proposal at point one, where it says
    No man shall hold Imperium in Italy and a Province, except in certain, emergency circumstances.
    Of course we of this session know what you mean, but the posterity may not have such knowledge. Thus, insert a few words into the proposal and it will be clear as day.

No man shall hold simultaneous Imperium in both Italy and a Province, except in certain, emergency circumstances.

Crusades

I run an Asteroid mining website. Visit it before James Cameron takes it from me.

Citizen

Pallas, I shall include the wording in my legislation, as it does make the law clearer and easier to understand.
    Patron of Lysimachus

Then I see no reason why we cannot move it to vote. It not only more clearly defines the powers of the imperium-holding offices but also strives to restrict them as to prevent power abuse. I call upon Consul Decimus to move the motion to a vote if no further debate shall arise from it.

Crusades

Senators, it seems that our consuls have all but disappeared. And as such, I move to elect two new suffectus consuls in their stead. Let any man who wish to stand for office present himself.

Crusades

Citizen

I propose that to overcome this latest crisis we formally recognise that Praetor Greges is the most senior magistrate in the Senate, and grant him temporary Consular power until a more definite settlement, either the return of our Consuls or the election of suffectus consuls, is reached. Just as a Praetor is in command of Rome when both Consuls are absent, so it should be now. I do not see how this is different from those circumstances.

I would like to address the Tribune's concerns with my legislation. Rather than veto something which he does not understand or he feels is lacking, he should work here in the Senate to fix them. The reason I proposed the legislation was because there was an illegal bid by one of the now absent Consuls for unlawful power over both province and Rome, something which should be divided unless we want another king on our hands. The legislation does not stop the Consuls leading a military campaign in the provinces, it merely limits the power which a Consul may hold at any one time. I do not see how this could be seen as a threat to the Plebians, the sole reason why the Tribune's veto should ever be used. Instead it actually strengthens their rights as it protects them against any would be kings.

If the Tribune has any questions he would like answered about the matter, I would be glad to give him an answer.
    Patron of Lysimachus

Instead of politicking for making new laws at this moment, we should turn back to our already stationed ones.

It is time, I call to bring Consul Celer back from Illyria on basis of conspiracy to commit treason. He has not given his regular report and it's a month overdue. Given his backseat politics through senator Caesar it is right to assume this even more. He has also not made contact with the enemy in a long while.

I will support the motion for suffectus consuls and I support praetor Gerges with consular powers until this matter is resolved. I, in turn will exercise praetorian powers until the time we return to normality.
    Last edited by dragoon47; July 22, 2010 at 06:49 PM.
    Lucius Valerius Poplicola - Patrician - 34

Citizen

One can not simply appoint to themselves power, Quaestor. The Praetor is charged to take on the mantle of the Consulship should the two elected magistrates be absent from the Senate. These duties are to be carried out along with his elected duties, and not in stead of them. There is no consideration for the Quaestor taking over the Praetorship in such an event as this. Any exercise of Praetorian powers by you would be illegal and you would be subject to trial at the end of your term in office.

Why should we stop trying to make our Republic a more just and safe place in any situation? I don't understand your reasoning for wanting a cessation of law making, can your mind not deal with more than one subject at one time? Though the threat of an overly powerful Consul seems to have passed, I think it would be prudent to push through, so that there may not be one in the future. This is hardly a crisis of mortal danger. There has been no call for a dictator to be appointed. There is no reason to halt the proper proceedings of this house. I have ample confidence in the abilities of the pro-magistrates in the field and our own Praetor Gerges to deal with the current situation in a constitutional way, while still allowing for the proper operating of the state.
    Patron of Lysimachus

I have supported your proposals, therefore until they are put to vote, we can in fact put them on hold for the moment. Only for a moment mind you. If you hadn't noticed there's no sense trying to pass a law with no consul or elected authority to put it to a vote.

I only ask that we do things in the proper order senator, that is all.

Citizen

First, Quaestor, let me apologise. I was wrong in saying you will not stand in as Praetor, whereas in fact the laws of our land mandate it. However, that power does not grant you the ability to stop the proceedings of this house. Though there are no elected Consuls to put it to the vote, there is an elected Praetor with powers of a Consul to do so. That law was made so that there would be no interuption in the running of our State, including the passing of new laws. If you can find a piece of legislation to contradict such a position, I will concede, until then I stand by my original point.
    Patron of Lysimachus

There is no such business at this moment senator. With respect, all the motions put forth so far have been supported and will be put to vote. I'm not demanding anything, I also don't believe I'm interrupting anything any longer, just suggesting that we return to the business of suffectus elections.

As it stands now, the praetor will fill in and push all these proposals on the floor to a vote, meaning further elaboration would be pointless. Therefore, we are left with only two more issues.

Suffectus elections.

Celer and his apparently treasonous actions.

New command for Illyria.

One of these issues can threaten Rome itself. We have a rogue consul who refuses to send us reports and make contact with the enemy.

Gaius Julius Civilis's Avatar Senator
    Castra Ultra Traiectum - Germania Inferior

Verus enters the Curia somewhat nervously. After finding a seat near the rear of the hall he sits and listens, desperately trying to keep his attention on the debate, and not to show his supreme boredom.
    YOU ARE THE SENATE - SENATOR PROCVLVS IVNIVS VERVS MINOR - XXX
    PLEBEIAN

The praetor seems a little too preoccupied with himself to put forth these motions. Thus, I would like to open nominations for a suffectus praetor to replace him. Those wishing to serve the republic can nominate themselves. Meanwhile, the quaestor shall act as chief magistrate while the Senate sleeps.

Crusades

Citizen

I shall put myself forward to act in the Praetor's stead as he takes his leave of absence. The business of the Senate should continue, no matter what preoccupies the time of our elected magistrates.
    Patron of Lysimachus

If there is no one else, then we might as well proceed to the task at hand and bestow Praetorian powers on Senator Macerinus

Crusades

Citizen

Senator, though time is pressing, we should at least wait a short while to see if there are any other candidates, or at least another voice to speak up for or against me. We are after all a Republic.
    Patron of Lysimachus

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567