Thread: [Untitled Horror Story] Entry 1 (not completed)

VOP2288's Avatar Smokey the Bear
    Civitate

Default [Untitled Horror Story] Entry 1 (not completed)

So while jumping around to different articles in Wiki I came across a page on a certain myth. It sparked my interest and noticed that unlike other myths such as the Loch Ness Monster, Bigfoot, etc this one has never really been the subject of any sort of medium. So, I felt the wind of creativity and decided to write my own horror/thriller about it...

+rep for anyone who can tell me what myth/legend this is about. HINT: it's connected to the location.
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Right turn signal. The headlights of the old station wagon ran along the tree line – casting shadows that bounced around the woods. A stretch of dirt road now lay ahead of the vehicle, dark brown and black mud that the afternoon’s storm had created. An orange glow came to life in the driver’s seat as Alan took a long slow drag off his cigarette. No one was saying a word. The silence was finally broken when a low rumble emerged from the radio as it came to life and Chris slowly turned the knob up – the sound of a snare drum and bass line followed: Marilyn Manson’s rendition of “Long Hard Road Out of Hell”. As the song picked up speed and filled the car Thomas could only think of how hard his new friends must be trying to scare him.
    What started as a typical joy ride in the beat up station wagon for the three boys soon became a test. A rite of passage they called it.
    Thomas had just moved to Fairfield County, Connecticut from New York City. His father George had been a police officer in Lower Manhattan – nothing special – just a regular street cop with aspirations of becoming a detective. Those dreams however were cut short when a regular drug bust turned violent – ending in the death of George’s partner and two gunshot wounds to the chest because a coked-up suspect refused to cooperate. After months of recovery Thomas’ mother finally convinced George to move out of the city and take a hopefully less dangerous job in Fairfield.
    Making new friends was never really a problem for Thomas so when challenged with assimilating to a new high school the transition came easily. He was a social kid who eagerly joined the school’s football team and quickly became a favorite among his teammates, peers, and teachers. Thomas fit in perfectly.
    As the song came to an end Alan slowly rolled down the window and flicked his cigarette out. The cool night air rushed into the car and sent a chill down Thomas’ spine. The two boys up front didn’t say a word – staring intently ahead, eyes fixed on the low fog that tried to impede their way.
    “So…what are we doing?” asked Thomas from the backseat. Neither Alan nor Chris responded at first. Finally Chris lowered the volume of the radio, shot a glance towards Alan, and turned around in the passenger seat.
    “Don’t worry about it. You’ll know when we get there.” Turning back around he gave a heavy sigh and Alan lit up another cigarette.
    Curious and a little confused, Thomas lay back in his seat – staring out the window into the trees that surrounded the road on either side. What were they doing out here? Thomas wondered. What kind of game were they playing bringing him all this way into the middle of nowhere at 1 AM?
    After driving slowly onwards for another ten minutes Alan finally brought the station wagon to a halt on the side of the road. Breaking their gaze with the night ahead of them Alan and Chris both turned around to face Thomas.
    “Alright. Get out of the car.” Ordered Alan.
    “What?” Thomas replied.
    “You heard me. Get out of the car.” Thomas stared blankly first at Alan then at Chris.
    “What? You want me to walk home or something? Try and find my way back in the middle of the night? that.” Thomas said.
    “You have to Tom. We all did it.” said Chris trying to convince him to play along.
    “How ‘bout no?” Thomas said sternly. He didn’t care if this was some stupid hazing ritual or rite of passage; he wasn’t about to try and walk home in the dead of night.
    “Get the out of my car Tom.” Alan ordered again, this time sounding more annoyed with Thomas’ protests. “We all did this. Do you want everyone thinking you’re some little pussy who’s afraid of the dark?”
    Like most seventeen year old boys, being labeled a “pussy” was something that any right minded kid wanted to avoid. If dodging that meant going along with some sort of idiotic attempt at hazing Thomas found no other choice but to suck it up.
    “Fine. What do I have to do?” sighed Thomas.
    “It’s real simple. All you have to do is get out of the car and walk along the road.” explained Chris.
    “Ok, and what? Find my way back into town?” asked Thomas.
    “No – you’ll eventually find us at some point on the road.” Alan replied. Thomas gazed skeptically at both of the boys, even more confused about the true intention of this little endeavor.
    “So all I have to do is walk along the road until I find you guys?”
    “Yeah. Pretty much…if you even make it that far.” Alan teased, lighting another cigarette.
    “Whatever – I’ll do it.” Thomas said fed up with whatever his new friends were playing at. He unbuckled his seatbelt and reached for the door handle. Before he could get the door open Chris stopped him – handing him a flashlight.
    “Good luck.” Said Alan as Thomas slammed the car door shut.
    The station wagon came back to life and sped off into the night. As the car went around a bend the last thing Thomas saw was Alan ashing his cigarette out of the crack in the driver’s side window.
    Alone, Thomas stood there for a second and brushed his hair back. Hopefully this would be the one and only time he’d have to put up with this kind of “new kid” . Deciding to move onwards he clicked the button on the flashlight – it flickered twice and then went out.
    “Great…should’ve seen that coming. s!” he whispered to himself.
    Digging through his pockets he found his cell phone and flipped it open. A low light erupted before him, hardly useful but this would have to do. With no choice Thomas began walking along the side of the road hoping that Alan hadn’t stopped too far ahead.
    The dirt road shifted under his feet as he pressed forward – cutting through the damp night air. One thing Thomas could never get over was how quiet it was out here. Growing up in New York City made him believe that there was nothing ever this empty of life at night: no cars passing under his window, no police sirens wailing, no drunks prowling the street looking for either more booze or a bed. It was eerie but over the last month or so he had started to get used to it. Out here on this road though it was different. There was nothing. Not even the usual sound of crickets and other nocturnal woodland inhabitants. All he could hear was the sound of his own shoes kicking up the ground beneath him.
    A branch cracked to his right – stopping him mid-step. Thomas froze up, listening. Nothing – must’ve been some critter. He walked on holding the light from the phone ahead, following the road. Another crack - to the right again - but not behind him, right next to him. A sharp sting shot up his spine and spread itself along his shoulders eventually becoming goose bumps on his forearms.
    A little spooked but determined to continue, he picked up his pace. As he went along the road he swore he heard the sounds of rustling leafs and twigs following his progress through the woods. He stopped again, listened, and heard nothing.
    “What the hell? I must be hearing things, I’m freaking myself out.” He sighed to himself trying to get a grasp on his nerves. Was this what Alan and Chris wanted him to experience – some self generated mind- in the middle of the woods? “This is going to be funny tomorrow I bet…” he thought to himself, “I bet those two dicks are sitting on the side of the road drinking beers and laughing about this .”
    Another rustle.
    this…” Thomas whispered, “Some squirrel is asking for it.” He pointed the phone at the ground scanning the road around him until he found a rock. Picking it up, Thomas tossed it in the air and caught it.
    off.” He yelled as he brought his arm back and threw the rock in the direction of the noise.
    Nothing. No scrambling creature trying to escape the projectile, not even the sound of the rock hitting an innocent tree or bed of leaves. Unable to move Thomas stood – listening. Suddenly out of the tree-line came a small dark shadow. Before he could even react Thomas was thrown backwards. Laying there the pain in his chest flared intensely. Gritting his teeth he sat up and scrambled to pick up his phone. Before he could reach it something kicked up the gravel near his hand. Thomas turned his head in the direction it came from just in time to see another shadow flying towards him. He covered his face with his arms and felt the sharp pain as a rock hit his wrist.
    Then came the giggling. The sound of small children laughing at him filled the night air.
    “Jesus – Christ!” he panicked.
    Thomas didn’t waste any more time, he jumped to his feet and dodged another rock. He didn’t bother picking up his phone he just ran. As quickly as his feet could take him, Thomas sprinted down the road.

Under the patronage of Pra

Addicted-Gamers.com - Up-and-coming game news website! Please support us!

Frederich Barbarossa's Avatar Protector Domesticus
    Edinburgh, Scotland (From Kendall, Florida and proud!)

Default Re: [Untitled Horror Story] Entry 1 (not completed)

very very well interpreted +1 rep!
    His highness, þeþurn I, Keng of Savomyr!

Princess Cadance's Avatar Domesticus

I think I know it has to do with children who died in a school fire and ever since they play in the woods next to were the fire happened.Right.
    "Sing to the LORD a new song;sing to the LORD, all the earth."-Psalm 96:1
    "A true man hates no one."-Napoleon Bonaparte

MIDN Mainolfi's Avatar Tiro
    Somewhere.......over there maybe.......no...........

I enjoyed it a lot! +rep of course. I have a guess. Is it about the "melon head" myths?
    Proud Descendant of Robert the Bruce
    !!!!ZOIDBERG!!!! Click it!!! ZOIDBERG II!

Moderate Party of Sparta

VOP2288's Avatar Smokey the Bear
    Civitate

Thanks for the feedback guys, I had actually given up on this story since I received little to no criticism for a few weeks (well, except for FB naturally). Thus I will attempt to continue onwards, but no promises as to how fast I may get another bit out here - life's sort of mixed up and crazy right now.
    Under the patronage of Pra

Addicted-Gamers.com - Up-and-coming game news website! Please support us!