Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: Rome Total War Vanilla Mod

Liu Zheng's Avatar Miles

Default Re: Rome Total War Vanilla Mod

Interesting mod, I'm gonna try it right now!
    Thanks.

Liu Zheng's Avatar Miles

I'm having some problem... On a fresh install (steam) it says:

Interesting, give me a few minutes while i look into this, its most likely something i missed out when updating the mod folder.

Update 1:

Found the problem, it wasn't anything i missed, it was something i did. For some reason since merging the Roman faction and changing both the Scipii and Brutii the descr_strat has changed so that any modifications i make within it stops the imperial campaign from working, by throwing up the error you show in your screenshot. All i had done was modified it so all factions would attack each other because in version 7.0 i had made it so Macedonia and the Greeks was allied and would never attack each other, to give the Greeks a chance to live longer. But after releasing 7.0 i started to take a dislike to that and changed it in this version. Sadly it seems i'll have to put up with it or try modifiying the descr_strat on another computer to see if that works. will re-upload both versions of 8.0 with the descr_strat from 7.0, its been tried and tested just and works fine now. Give me a few minutes to update the link, i will post back once the links have been updated.

Update 2:
    Both links updated, sorry about the problem.
    Last edited by Roy974; February 07, 2013 at 02:27 PM.

Liu Zheng's Avatar Miles

Quote Originally Posted by Roy974 View Post
    Interesting, give me a few minutes while i look into this, its most likely something i missed out when updating the mod folder.

Update 1:

Found the problem, it wasn't anything i missed, it was something i did. For some reason since merging the Roman faction and changing both the Scipii and Brutii the descr_strat has changed so that any modifications i make within it stops the imperial campaign from working, by throwing up the error you show in your screenshot. All i had done was modified it so all factions would attack each other because in version 7.0 i had made it so Macedonia and the Greeks was allied and would never attack each other, to give the Greeks a chance to live longer. But after releasing 7.0 i started to take a dislike to that and changed it in this version. Sadly it seems i'll have to put up with it or try modifiying the descr_strat on another computer to see if that works. will re-upload both versions of 8.0 with the descr_strat from 7.0, its been tried and tested just and works fine now. Give me a few minutes to update the link, i will post back once the links have been updated.

Update 2:
    Both links updated, sorry about the problem.
    Great, thanks

Liu Zheng's Avatar Miles

I'm sorry but... it doesn't work, when I select a faction (the Julii in this case) instead of going ingame the game goes back in the menu and I can't select Imperial Campaign anymore.

Try deleting map.rwm located in the install directory (sorry i don't have it on steam so i don't know the install directoy). But for normal disc users this directory is. C:\Program Files (x86)\The Creative Assembly\Rome - Total War.

I suspet for steam it would be C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Rome - Total War (just a guess). Anyway once in the install directory go to data\world\maps\base and delete the map.rwm file, your game will still work and hopefully will fix the problem with imperial campaign. It must be a steam problem because i've never seen anyone have problems before and that file i include with the mod so that it overwrites the default map one. Anyway that should fix the problem.

Liu Zheng's Avatar Miles

Ok thanks, I'm gonna try later

Hopefully after deleting map.rwm your game will work fine, i have tested the mod again to make sure there is no other reason and it all works fine for me.

I have just released a none rome unified version, so those of you who like to have the the roman family, Brutii, Scipii etc then download the "none Rome unified version. The only difference between this and the Rome unified version is (apart from having all the Roman family factions) all the units that i had put in place for the Celts have now been moved over to the Britans because the colour is the same as them. This isn't the final version of this mod because i will be removing some of those units when i get chance. I first need to look at them and see which ones i wish to keep and which ones i can get remove. Then i want to add some 1 or 2 new units to both the Gauls and Spanish factions and maybe Pontus aswell. I might remove some things that i don't see the point in so that more space can be made availabe for new units for the weaker factions.

The problem is, i don't make or edit the textures of units so finding units for these factions isn't easy. Many of the modlers who created them are no longer active so getting permission to include them is sometimes not possible, and i don't like to add things without the persmission of their creaters first. The other thing i could do is ask if its possible to use units from the suported mods, but many of them have had their faction textures changed. If anyone knows of a unit they would like to see added (excluded are, Romans, Greek, Macadonia) then post a link to where i can look at them and i'll see if i can get permission to include them.

Anyway here is the link to the none unified rome version (also included in first page).
    http://www.mediafire.com/?b3sz8cxe5z03785

Remember if your having problems starting a campaign, then delete the map.rwm file.

Liu Zheng's Avatar Miles

Quote Originally Posted by Roy974 View Post
    Hopefully after deleting map.rwm your game will work fine, i have tested the mod again to make sure there is no other reason and it all works fine for me.
    It worked

luzvimindo's Avatar Libertus

hi roy..nice mod.. it's seems that i get a ctd everytime i played against scythia in my imperial campaign.. i mean even in custom battles i tried playing as scythia it crashes, and when i'm playing against scythia, still the same results... i'm using V7.0 by the way , your new version does not work in my machine..

hi again roy..just installed your version 8, still the same issue, still crashes when playing scythia.. but other than that i like the mod.. i have a suggestion if you don't mind, do you like the idea of implementing rs2 environments here in the mod? i know you want it to be vanilla like as possible but with all the resources out there to improve the graphics i think it would be a nice add on to this wonderful mod.. since i have time this pat few days i decided to put rs2 environments in the mod and it was perfectly fine..plus i put on some interfaces to other factions also other than rome.. but this are not my resources.. i just found them in the forums and decided to mixed it all to the mod... here are some screenshots of my experiment:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 0000.jpg   0001.jpg   0002.jpg   0003.jpg   0005.jpg  

0006.jpg   0007.jpg   0008.jpg   0009.jpg   0010.jpg  

in the coming days i'm planning to change all the vanilla units and maybe i'll use ferres and algaman's units..here are some interface/stratpage for other factions.. i used some of leoni's works and from catw.. you really have a nice mod here..hope you can fix the scythia issue soon..cheers
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 0013.jpg   0014.jpg   0011.jpg   0012.jpg  

Hey bud, first off I have managed to fix the problem. I had missed the texture for the Falx unit, all other units have been tested and work fine.
    Yeah if you wish to implement the RS2 Environments mod in then by all means go for it bud, it was something I was going to do but never found the time to do it. If you can do it though then that's great news because i'm still limited on time at the moment, but looking at the screenshots, it looks much better than the vanilla look. Oh and the fix for the Scythia faction will work on all versions as its a texture fix and not a typo in any file.
    http://www.mediafire.com/?i7p63acpb29y007
    Last edited by Roy974; March 28, 2013 at 04:23 AM.

thanks for the fix roy.. now i know why the game crashes when it involves scythia..lol...hope you don't mind but since it's my vacation now i have a lot of time and i've been working on your mod for this past few days now.. i changed some stratmap units and also some battle map models.. i'm done changing the romans now..all 4 roman houses..i dont how to make new models so i used some feres and algaman models and also some models from catw and rs1..here are some of my work..
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 0016.jpg   0020.jpg   0023.jpg   0024.jpg   0025.jpg  

0028.jpg   0030.jpg   0031.jpg   0032.jpg   0035.jpg  

Your welcome bud.
    Looks much better with those changes you've made. When your finished you'll have to upload the changes so V9 can be released. If you can also keep all the authors names of the work you have used so they can be added to the special thanks part in the read me aswell then that would be awesome.

yes bud..i'm still learning how to upload some files so that it could be downloaded or i'll send the files to you.. and see for yourself the changes i made and check if it is OK or not for your mod and i'll list the authors of the units i used.. thanks again roy

Hi roy..just an update ,i did installed your fix roy and still the game crashed when i used the scythian falx.. but i was able to finally solved the problem.. in your

"model_battle.txt" file i checked the entries for the falx unit..then i saw the line "texture scythia, data/textures/UNIT_BARB_WARBAND_FALX_SCYTHIA.tga" ..right

after data, model units should be next so it will

look like this "texture scythia, data/model_units/textures/UNIT_BARB_WARBAND_FALX_SCYTHIA.tga" and it worked..lol..my game didn't have any problems anymore..

i doubled check the file i downloaded and that was the entry..now problem solved and we can now play in peace..lol

i mean "models_unit" NOT "model_units" sorry for that ..so it should be "texture scythia, data/models_unit/textures/UNIT_BARB_WARBAND_FALX_SCYTHIA.tga"

Thanks bud, not sure how that happened but I did a test and if you put the texture file in Textures and not Models_Units_Textures the game will still work. But anyway it'll be fixed for V9. Also if you add " -show_err" at the end of your exe target like this ""C:\Users\Roy\Desktop\Planes\Modified Games\Rome - Total War\RomeTW.exe" -show_err" then even if the game doesn't crash it could still show an error when you exit the game. (Side not is anyone having problems not been able to press enter and start a new paragraph? because the enter button doesn't work for me so I have to do my post in a text document and then paste it on here just so I can use the enter button (works fine on other sites aswell, just not this site).
    I use 7zip because it has a very good compressions ratio (i believe its the best compression ratio available) and Mediafire because its free and allows for a file size of 200MB's, and gives you a total storage space of 10GB's and all for free. Just keep the file sizes bellow 200MB's ort you'll have to sign up for one of the packages or be forced to repack the files. You could also have the files spit at say 100MB's so when been rare up the file would split into as many smaller parts as it needs to with the largest been no bigger than what ever the value is you had set.