Page 1 of 10 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: Rome Total War Vanilla Mod

Default Rome Total War Vanilla Mod

Back when this mod first start it was all about staying loyal to the vanilla feel, well I think this mod has come a long way and is not as close to the vanilla feel as I originally had wished to keep. But as with all projects, they start small and grow and grow on till you end up with something you never pictured would be the end result. So we look at the changes over the years, we all know about the new imperial campaign map, night battles, 4 turns per year etc. You ask what is new, what could be done to add more to this mod. We a lot could be done, but as said before trying to stick as close to vanilla feel as possible (not as easy as it sounds).

First off the campaign map will seem so different, it will feel like its a new campaign map and some of you might swear blind till your blue in the face its a new map (before anyone does turn blue though) no this is the exact same campaign map as in earlier versions and has not been changed in any way. The only changes are texture changes (its amazing how textures can fool you into thinking its all new) nothing added or removed from the map, all purely down to textures (I know i'm still as shocked as you guy's).

So the imperial campaign maps had a texture upgrade, what else could warrant an new release. Well textures play a bulk of the work in this new version so i'm afraid you'll have to see the changes for your selves. But many, many units have had their textures changed and some of these units will be seen in pictures posted around this topic and maybe even in this very post. But for the best part you'll just have to look for yourself i'm afraid.

We don't end this there though, no, no, no. We have to think, the campaign map is better looking, units are better looking. May as well have better looking battle fields as well then right? Well to be honest we figured why make everything look better, something has to look poorly done and sadly it was thins area. (Ok, ok calm down, man anyone would think we did it to annoy you all) yes of course we couldn't leave out the most logic place to improve, after all you'll be spending most of your game time there so leaving it wasn't an option.

Its not all about textures though, no I wanted to give you something new, something unscripted, something that would leave you crying or wanting more (be warned, if you have no patents then stick to version 8.0). To really get things going rebalancing of units was in order, every unit was looked at (it took me bloody ages) but the end result is a campaign mode that will test your skills, push your patents and test your equipment strength as you bang the keyboard through the mouse (remember its attached via a wire and might swing back to hit you) case and monitor (just break the disc in half, its cheaper to replace). Anyway the factions will be tougher, if playing as the Julii, you'll be spending more of your resources defending and loosing towns as the Senate aids in your defence. Scipii don't have it any easier either, no, no, no, they have it just as hard. The Greek's are no push over, the Carthaginians are stronger and more capable of defending their towns and taking what they want. The Bruitii think them selves lucky then (they shouldn't) the Greeks maybe hard, but the Macedonians aren't no walk in the park either and even if the Brutii could crash the Macedonians the Thracians can be just as bad if not worse, and the Dacians will toy with you (they must like annoying their enemies, they annoyed me a lot sending half stacks to attack a town that has a full stack inside and full stack outside, they need to stick their stacks up their ***).

This isn't the only other change and just because I used the Romans (after all tis is Rome TW is it not) doesn't mean that the other factions aren't just as challenging to play as. Its true the Barbarians will be easier as they make vast amounts of money per turn and can field larger armies, but are those armies capable of taking on the mighty Romans and defeating all the houses and then taking on the likes of the Macedonians, Greeks etc (I doubt it). Anyway moving on, balancing the units out (even though was the longest part of my work load) wasn't the only change to take place in the rebalancing. No I went further and made reductions in the trade value's for all tradable goods (sounds so much like real life doesn't it? how depressing). Now its harder to make money early on, it gets easier and mines will give you the biggest return, so taking towns that can build mines is more important than taking any old town. The next changes was what I just hit on, mines. Gold mines have a very high trade value, this was done because it made sense and because the trade bonus that had been added to many buildings in previous versions has been removed. Overall the game is now much harder, some factions will be harder to play as than other, this wasn't done intentionally but in less each faction has the exact units and exact same stats for those units you will never have a truly balanced mod. This version is much more balanced than previous versions though, and its much more fun to play.

Main Features:

New Faction Symbols:
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

4 Turns Per Year Script:
    Ok lets get started, the first thing that has changed is the turns per year. At the start if you press escap to open the options menu and click on the question mark (top right corner) you will see the advisor on the left show up, click on show me button to activate the 4 turns per year script.

Units Health:
    Health for all units has been increased from 1 hitpoint to 2, this does mean longer battles and i do mean longer battles.

Unit Recruitment Time:
    This has been lowered so now all units are recruited within a single turn, this does mean the enemy have more full stacks around and can be more challanging but it is a must for any mod.

Night Battles:
    For this all you need is a general with the night battles trait. With that you can fight at night and as long as the enemy general(s) do not have the night battle trait you have a bonus like effect which can very important should you be out numbered or the enemy units are better equiped than you.

New Loading Screens:
    To give the mod a new feel it was decided new loading screens was needed and after I saw them I just had to include them. These new screens really do make the mod feel new and fresh.

Enemy Invasions:
    Now all factions can attempt a invasion, this does mean even playing as the Britons is not as safe any more because the Gaul's, Spanish or even German's might attempt to land some troops.

Balancing:
    As well as units the gameplay has been balanced more now. Making money is harder at the start and if playing as a super power like the Romans you will have to use strategy to your advantages when possible. What towns you look at to capture will play a larger role in your success. A town that can build gold mines for example is very important since gold mines now offer a much higher trade value and will be your main source of income.

Graphical improvements:
    With many big changes happening to this new version it was obvious that a big change was the enhanced environment. The battle fields now look more realistic, the strategic map now has tree's on it etc (pictures to be added soon)

Recruit able Generals:
    All factions now have the ability to recruit generals (including rebels). This does not make the new generals act as family members or adopted generals, they are just basic generals.

Campaign Map:
    This has been changed because the vanilla map was boring and so small none of the small factions really stood any chance of surviving, so now all factions have a better chance and the gameplay can be more challenging and fun.

New Units:
    To help balance the factions out and give each faction a better chance of surviving new units have been added to most factions.

New Textures:
    The Roman faction have been given new textures for each of their units, this makes them look for better and and adds a more realistic feel to them.

Large Battles:
    Unit sizes have been changed for all units, this has left you with a huge battle where you can see up to 30,000 troops in a single battle. With low settings this can be a little laggy because of engine limitations (nothing can be done to that area). But it does add a more realistic feel to battles.

Log Changes:
    New Features:
    * 4 turns per year.
    * New Map for imperial campaign (europa_270bc v9).
    * New units (see Units added bellow for more info)
    * Barbarian factions can now construct stone walls
    * Night battles and improved weather effects.
    * Invation landings (AI will now load up ships and attack other lands).
    * Barbarian factions can now contruct paved roads.
    * Barbarian factions can now contruct forums.
    * Barbarian factions can now construct foundries.
    * Barbrain factions can now construct the mine+1.
    * Missile units stats updated to allow for missiles to be more deadly.
    * General units now recruitable for all factions.
    * New textures for many units
    * New enahcements to the environment.
    * New enhancements to the strategic map.

Basic Changes:
    * Trade profits increased (still been worked on).
    * Units health increased..
    * Units sizes increased.
    * Barracks give a law bonus
    * Walls will give you a happiness bonus
    * Sewers, baths and other health buildings will give you a happiness bonus.
    * Roads increase trade profit.
    * Spartan texture updated.
    * More realistic tree's.
    * Mercanery units added.
    * New AI formation added.
    * All units moral increased for longer more realistic battles.
    * Grass Texture added.
    * New unit textures for all Roman families.
    * New water textures.
    * All factions given more settlements at the start.
    * All new settlements given to factions now have units garrisoned in them.
    * Improved night battles
    * Spartan Hoplite units texture changed again and new unit card used.
    * Elephants will no longer run amok, this is to increase game difficulty.
    * Due to the new map the denarie all factions was set at in previous versions was wipped. This has been re-implemented but with some changes. Now all Factions apart from Barbarian factions start with 25,000. Barbarian factions start with 50,000.
    * Juli control all of towns that belonged to the Roman factions.
    * Rome is now Julii's capital.
    * Factions relations updated in descr_strat
    * Factions attitudes updated in descr_strat
    * Rebel/pirates spawning reduced due to rebel faction now playable in campaign.
    * All animal handelers removed to free up space in descr_model_battle because limit was reached (these units can no longer be used in custom battles).
    * Celts given all of Scotland and one town on Ireland.
    * Most of the Roman units Scipii used have been removed and replaced by unique ones ported over from BI specialy for the Celts (Note, not historical units).
    * Britons Druids are now recruited through govoners buildings
    * All missile units stats increased so more damage is done via missles.
    * Units health reduced to 2.
    * Peasants, hounds and pigs skellingtons removed so more units can be added to the game.
    * Cavalry units reduced from 60 men per unit to 40.
    * All added units tweaked to balance them out.
    * Unit upkeeps rebalance.
    * Base farm levels reduced.
    * Mine trade bonus drastically increased.
    * Trade bonus for most buildings removed.
    * Trade value for all tradable goods reduced.
    * Praetorian Cohorts only recruitable in Italy.
    * Urban Cohorts only recruitable in Rome.

Units Added:
    * Warband Falx Dacian == scythia
    * Mycenaean Infantry == macedon
    * Sword Hoplites == macedon
    * Hoplites of Zeus == macedon
    * Macedonian Legionaries == macedon
    * Chosen archers == Britons
    * carthaginian archer == carthage
    * woad cavalry briton == Britons
    * barb cavalry briton == Britons
    * dac comati scythe == dacia
    * gaul cavalry == gauls
    * barb night raiders german == gauls
    * Iberian Infantry == Numidian
    * Numidian Spearmen == Numidian
    * Poeni Infantry == Numidian
    * numidian medium infantry == Numidian
    * Spanish Archers == Spain
    * Spartan Armoured Infantry == greek_cities
    * Iberian Spearmen == Spain, Numidia
    * Naked Fanatics == Britons
    * numidian desert marauder == Numidia
    * hypaspists == macedon
    * Dark Myrmidons == greek_cities
    * Mauryan Armoured Elephants == parthia
    * Eastern Armoured Pikemen == parthia, seleucid, armenia
    * Heavy Spearmen == parthia.

Bug Fixes:
    * macedonian legionaries recruite time fixed.
    * Factions discriptions fixed.
    * Stone walls appearance on the campaign map for barbarian factions fixed.
    * Leader's pictures at faction select screen for campaign fixed.
    * Error in export_descr_buildings fixed
    * Night battles bug that caused the game to crash, fixed.
    * Head Hurler's max range fixed.
    * Fixed texture problem for the sword hoplites which caused them to crash the game when been used in custom battles.
    * Spartan Hoplites fixed due to texture conflictions.
    * Dark Myrmidons fixed due to been to powerfull.
    * Unit card fix for Mauryan Armoured Elephants.
    * Unit card fix for Eastern Armoured Pikemen.
    * Unit card fix for Heavy Spearmen.

Known Bugs:
    None at the moment

Special Thanks To The Following People:
    * StefanL
    * TotalWarFanatic
    * Harry 350
    * nunez67
    * Andalus
    * DragonSlayerrrrr
    * Nebuchadnezzar
    * webbird
    * ferres
    * Andrej
    * Damjanovic
    * Horsearcher
    * davide.cool
    * Lorenzo Maximus

ROMA SURRECTUM 1 AND 2 (TONE and team):

-some phalangites from macedon,thace,seleucids
    -RS2 MAP and Environment
    -RS1 UNITS Like gallic swordsmen and barb infantry
    -some unit cards
    -officers and barbarian generals
    -RS1 STRATMAP CAPTAINS AND GENERALS
    -banners and stratmap banners
    -diplomats stratmap models and ships
    -some interface and other RS2 resources

CATW(CLASSICAL AGE TOTAL WAR) / RESEF:

-HASTATIS
    -SOME EASTERN UNITS
    -BARBARIAN NOBLE CAVALRY UNITS
    -SOME ROMAN OFFICERS AND BARBARIAN GENERALS
    -UNIT CARDS FOR DIFFERENT FACTIONS
    -SOME PHALANGITES,PIKEMEN
    -BARBARIAN UNITS
    -some Interface
    -faction symbol of armenia and some other rs2 resources

MODDERS:

Rarity-for samnite hoplites, carthaginian sacred band, germanic warriors,macedonian phalangites and some of it's unitcards

Algaman and ferres - for some roman units, greek hoplites, eastern units, some stratmap models, carthaginian officers

Milner- some scythian units,barbarian units

LouisAquilla and casius Beli- faction symbols, PRAETORIAN units

Leoni- for some interface and the shields I used

Hannibal SMITH - some units from its carthage reloaded pack

Granto- for enhanced trees in the stratmap

eb team- for the faction symbol of dacia

Zhuge Liang-Selection of Zhuge's units for the achilles and hoplite skins

Lu Bu
    -for the germanic/gaul axemen unit

Variag Team- for their outstanding barbarian units and hoplites and unitcards
    luzvimindo- For his dedicated work in enhancing Version 9.0.

Installation:
    Extract RTW Vanilla Mod (latest version) to desktop, copy and paste all folders from within RTW Vanilla folder to Rome Total War directory for Windows 7 this is "C:\Program Files (x86)\The Creative Assembly\Rome - Total War" and when asked to overwrite files and folder's say yes. Load your game and have fun. If however you can't start an imperial campaign, then go to data\world\maps\base and delete the map.rwm. Your game should work now.

Requirements:
    This mod increases the amount of units on the battlesfield and turns on unlimited men on the battlefield, a typical army size is around 5000 men, a campaign battle with 3v3 can have up to 30,000 men on screen at the sametime. Because of this it is recomended that you lower all settings and increase to find a balance that works for you. See bellow for download links and thank you for trying this mod out, please tell me of your experiences and thourghts.

Please Note Version 10 of this mod, uses a mod folder unlike all previous versions that overwrote the default files. Because of limited time it hasn't been fully tested but from the little testing done it worked fine.

RTW Vanilla Mod Beta V10 Mod Folder Version - Links Fixed
    http://www.mediafire.com/file/b1pom2...lla_Mod_V10.7z or https://1drv.ms/u/s!AktW0EFFBeZ9hFGag5YoRut4O3aj

RTW Vanilla Mod Beta V9.0 None Rome Unified Version (No Turns To train Troops) - Links Fixed
    http://www.mediafire.com/file/m0vblf...ome_Version.7z or https://1drv.ms/u/s!AktW0EFFBeZ9hFOjP0CGQpfJFQs3
    RTW Vanilla Mod Beta V9.0 Patch 1.0 None Rome Unified Version (No Turns To train Troops) - Links Fixed
    http://www.mediafire.com/file/awyc35..._Patch_V1.0.7z or https://1drv.ms/u/s!AktW0EFFBeZ9hFLVPRoYcGt5amp8

For older versions see bellow.

RTW Vanilla Mod Beta V8.0 None Rome Unified Version (No Turns To train Troops)
    http://www.mediafire.com/?b3sz8cxe5z03785

RTW Vanilla Mod Beta V8.0 Rome Unified (No Turns To train Troops)
    http://www.mediafire.com/?1w45dbauj4v5dmr

RTW Vanilla Mod Beta V8.0 Rome Unified (1 Turn To Train each Troop)
    http://www.mediafire.com/?u8zi80vpq3v0nuy

RTW Vanilla Mod Beta V7.0
    http://www.mediafire.com/?8srtxixd3lm45l8

RTW Vanilla Mod Beta V6.0
    http://www.mediafire.com/?godaxz98jmoth0b

RTW Vanilla Mod Beta V5.0
    http://www.mediafire.com/?ff1caq08nq83di8

RTW Vanilla Mod Beta V4.0
    http://www.mediafire.com/?eb2wb77d008hm8m

RTW Vanilla Mod Beta V3.0
    http://www.mediafire.com/?8qypzfhcye8skj2

RTW Vanilla Mod Beta V2.0
    http://www.mediafire.com/file/fysezgpva7w6dau/Rome%20Total%20Wat%20Beta%20V2.0.7z

RTW Vanilla Mod Beta V1.0
    http://www.megaupload.com/?d=DC6BLVOB
    or
    http://www.mediafire.com/?i1yz4mmnowy
    Last edited by Roy974; October 08, 2017 at 05:07 PM.

Hopit's Avatar Praepositus

Default Re: Rome Total War Vanilla Mod

^ what he said

Quote Originally Posted by SgtScooter View Post
    If you went to the Skyrim forums you'll see a lot posts about how it's somehow been watered down and hampered by money men making the decisions. Fact is, it's a great game and people still complain. It's the same thing as the TW franchise.

Spartan198's Avatar Protector Domesticus

I'd especially like to know what new units were added.

Sorry about that, i will upload some screens tomorrow, the new units however are.

Scythian Falxmen
    Hoplites Of Zeus
    Sword Hoplites
    Mycenaean Infantry
    Macedonian Legionaries

Hopit's Avatar Praepositus

You have permission to use those? normally there reads in readme can you use them without permission,

Quote Originally Posted by SgtScooter View Post
    If you went to the Skyrim forums you'll see a lot posts about how it's somehow been watered down and hampered by money men making the decisions. Fact is, it's a great game and people still complain. It's the same thing as the TW franchise.

I beleieve so, in the posts they had they can be used in mods as long as credit is given to those who created them and as long as they're not altered without first been given permission from the respective creater(s).

Those who have question marks have yet to be relocated, then they can be updated so creit is given to them too.

Nicely done man, finally a mod that fixes only what was broken.

I'll be sure to test this bad boy out soon, i'm still trying to smooth out the bumps in my own vanilla modifications.

I am definitely curious about the new units you've added, especially the Hoplites of Zeus
    Signature by Lucarius.

this mod seems very promising

Thanks guy's, i have found a map so there will be 2 versions of this mod. The vanilla version which will have the vanilla campaign map and the other version will be named when i think of a name, but that version will have the new map. For those who are curious if i can use this map i have read the post and it can be used in anyones mods. When i get chance to play the game i will take some pic's of the new units and other things. The map has not been installed yet but when that is added i will include pic's of that too.

Spartan198's Avatar Protector Domesticus

What map is it? Mundus Magnus? Europa 270BC? WarMap?

Your so impatient lol.

Its this one War Map

Oh boy i just saw the Mundus Magnus map and its the one i liked which SPQR uses. I'll have to see what the difference is between them and then decide which to use. Does anyone know which is the best all round map the War Map or this Mundus Magnus map?

Never mind, i found it and have added it to a test version to see what needs to be done. Ok the first thing i need to find out is how to change it from a Provincal Campaign to the main campaign map like it is in SPQR etc.

The next thing to do is make it so that there isn't so many rebal towns, this will mean giving more towns to other factions which isn't too bad since its easy most of the factions to be wipped out by 30 game turns.

Some pictures of the campign map.

As you can see many many provinces are owned by rebals which i will test and see how the other factions expand. I will give some extra provinces to those who do not expand or do not expand enough and then see how it goes. I expect this to take a while but once its finished it should be much improved.
    Last edited by Roy974; July 11, 2010 at 01:37 PM.

Update time:

The map has been changed for Mundus Magnus, i have begun giving the factions more settlements because its dominated by rebal's at the moment. Getting all this sorted out is the only thing i have been working on and a bug was found with one settlement which is now fixed. Luckily it was found because it would course a CTD without a error message. The only other thing i have done is reduce the starting money for the Roman's back to vanilla because they are the best faction so the extra money ment they was able to expand faster than they already did. That was annoying since the idea is to make it so all factions last longer so that you don't end up fighting 1 dominant faction and a few weaker ones. In testing the plan seems to be working however the population groth has been slown down i think so that will need fixing. Some settlements will require a increase in starting population more so for the extremly weak factions so they get a better start early on, if done right this will make the campaign more fun and interesting.

I want to get the formations sorted out so that the battles are more fun. I have seen a few formations but i don't klnow which formation mod is the best yet, i haven't looked at them because i don't want to end up moving to something else before the settlements have been sorted out.

Pic's will be posted soon.

I have almost finished adding the provenices to the factions, this has taken longer than i had hoped it to. I then need to add units to those settlements. I have also updated the first post to include some pictures i took a while ago, the pictures include some of the new units and some pictures of the map. Obviously since the map has changed drastically since then i will have to update them when i get chance.

If everything goes to plan i hope to release the next beta some time next week. So far in testing everything has gone well, however i have had one problem with factions not attacking one another, they have been focused on taking out the rebal settlemets and the only factions to do this are the Roman's. With so few rebal settlemets now i'm hopping that will change and factions will attack each other. I haven't checked the relationships towards each other so maybe the proble is in there.

No new units have been added since beta 1.0, i've been too busy with the map. I might try to mae a switch so you can play with the map as the imperial campaign map without it effecting your vanilla game files. I don't know just yet, thats something to look into at a later date right now my focus is on the map, factions attacming each other and getting each of the settlements to have units in them.

Arbitrary Crusader's Avatar Praefectus

http://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showth...exander-Reborn
    There already a Vanilla Mod, but, I won't discourage your work, in fact, I'm looking forward to it.

♪ Now it's over, I'm dead and I haven't done anything that I want, or I'm still alive and there's nothing I want to do

Thanks bud, i never knew about that mod lol, the work done sounds really good and from the sounds of it a lot effort was put into it. The work i'm doing is by no means to push its way above anyone elses work, its for fun aswell as to add more flexability in what mods are available. I try to make things as good as i can, and don't want to favour any faction over the other's. I have seen my fair share of half finished work both as mods and as games and that really annoys me. The game i have worked on was one such game that had many bugs and no patches was released to fix any of those bugs, we worked hard to change things and make the game more stable and many other modders also made a lot of changes that also improved the gameplay and stability. Anyway back to RTW, i don't see RTW as been bugged i see it as favouring a faction over other's. I know its Rome Total War but i feel and have alway's felt the other factions was added as entertainment rather than a challange, the Romans rosta is so well balanced that most of the other factions are too easy, fighting other Roman factions is when the fun starts most of the time although by the time you do turn on the senate and the other Roman factions, your already far too powerfull for them to pose too much of a threat.

I want the other factions to be able to hold there own and do what that villa mod offer's, weaker factions been able to hold there own for longer periods of time and even been a challange as they themselves start to try and expand. This mod could take many months before its fully released, it all depends on how i can do what i want to do without having to change too much.

I'm alway's searching for information on way's to do what i set out to do, and i have read some very interesting things. There are many excellent modders here who know the coding to this game like they do there favourit book or movie, the dedication people put into there work is just mind blowing and i'm so happy to see so many dedicated modders in one place even working together to push things even further. I have never modded this type of game before and although most of the code is easy to understand i will often read things and see what can be done to make it better.

Ok after some thourght i have ellected to go back to the campaign map i had first thourght about using. This map was what i was going to use before i found a few other's. At the time i wanted the map like in the SPQR mod, after changing all the settlements and giving them to factions etc i noticed the gameplay was more about taking settlements and not battles, this new map will promote battles as it was designed to make battles take place outside of settlements more often.

So the changes listed in the first page of this topic are the same apart from the map. Everyone say's that its boring with Brit's taking half the map and Romans taking whats left with almost all other factions wipped out or left with a single settlement. So i decided to see how the new changes to this map would effect gameplay and here are the resaults (remember this is with 4 turns per year active).

As you can see i'm playing as Julii, i didn't expand because i wanted to see how the other factions expanded. Brutii and Scipii are normally fast at expanding, by now they should have taken at least several settlements each but Brutii are the only one out of them to expand. Scipii had taken a settlement of Carthanage but lost it to them just 6 turns later.

Rather than the Brit's taking all of Europe its the Gauls who have done so and have found that the Spanish are not as easy as they use to be. Macedonian are the next faction who have shown improvement, Dacia have also done the same. Basically every faction is showing the signes i wanted to see. And to improve the gameplay ballance barbarian factions now have the ability to build stone walls (incudes construction TGA and building TGA) so you will see imagies to them and the settlements will change on the world map to show stone walls have been built.

I will leave it there for now, but the map i'm talking about is. Bare Bones III, i will give more info as to what has changed soon, i still need to finish off testing.

Roy, sorry, if this seem obliviously, but, did you make those units?

♪ Now it's over, I'm dead and I haven't done anything that I want, or I'm still alive and there's nothing I want to do

No, i haven't made any of the units.

Quote Originally Posted by Roy974 View Post
    No, i haven't made any of the units.
    Where did you, find the units? They look great!

Page 1 of 10 12345678910 LastLast