Page 24 of 48 FirstFirst ... 141516171819202122232425262728293031323334 ... LastLast

Thread: Bronze Age: Total War (Preview & download)

Thangaror's Avatar Senator

Default Re: Bronze Age: Total War (Preview & download)

Mapping isn't that difficult. If you can tell me what needs to be done, I'll give a shot.

• Seems like terrain and climate are set up and working.
    • Rivers are done, too.
    • You still need
      • a bunch of provinces
      • troops and resources
      • the towns set up with buildings and population size

Creating provinces is simple, armies and towns can be tricky.
    For provinces, resources, army size and composition I'd need instructions and support on the history of that time (really not my field of expertise).
    A possible issue is that I won't be able to handle files in anything else but English. Google does a decent job in translating into understandable English, if you don't have English copies or someone willing to translate.
    I might not be able to complete the whole thing, but I could give you something to work on.

EDIT: Thanks for the link for that cool map. Quite amazing.
    I just miss a legend for all those colours...
    Last edited by Thangaror; August 18, 2014 at 09:21 AM.
    I would rather have a memory that is fair but unfinished than one that goes on to a grievous end.

Mapping isn't that difficult. If you can tell me what needs to be done, I'll give a shot.

• Seems like terrain and climate are set up and working.
    • Rivers are done, too.
    • You still need
      • a bunch of provinces
      • troops and resources
      • the towns set up with buildings and population size
    You must either have a more advanced beta version of this mod then me,or you are confusing these files with what can be found in the base folder. But those are vanilla map files,which could hardly fit this mod

Something more in lines with the ROP (Rise of Persia) mod map would be fitting,but even this mod has a map which is needlessly extended for a Bronze Age scenario.

But without anything else to work I started replacing units in ROP with the ones in this mod. I just have no idea how to create a map from thin air,I tried cropping the map files from Mundus Magnus but that seems futile,and I'm not that skilled with Photoshop...

Like we can see from the screenshot provided here the modders intended/intend this mod to have a lot of small provinces,this is also something I have been experiencing issues when I tried to mod the map_regions.tga when trying to divide large regions or correct existing ones,I always seem to screw up the resources or something else,which causes my game to crash.

To avoid having to translate from Russian I simply didn't install the patch which comes with the mod and obviously has no English text files yet,but I guess this means sacrificing a great amount of new units that have been added over time.

All in all I'm starting to see why the official mod-team came to a halt

EDIT: Well whatever you could do concerning map files,I would be greatly thankful.
    Last edited by Kel'Thuzad; August 18, 2014 at 10:28 AM.

Do not panic
    The work continues. Very slowly, slowly, but continues.
    The release will be.

New King of Mitanni

Morrowgan's Avatar Centenarius

It lives on, that's really good news.
    Member of the Beyond Skyrim Project

Thangaror's Avatar Senator

Quote Originally Posted by Kel'Thuzad View Post
    You must either have a more advanced beta version of this mod then me,or you are confusing these files with what can be found in the base folder. But those are vanilla map files,which could hardly fit this mod
    I can't follow. You posted a screenshot of the map.
    Something more in lines with the ROP (Rise of Persia) mod map would be fitting,but even this mod has a map which is needlessly extended for a Bronze Age scenario.

But without anything else to work I started replacing units in ROP with the ones in this mod. I just have no idea how to create a map from thin air,I tried cropping the map files from Mundus Magnus but that seems futile,and I'm not that skilled with Photoshop...
    So, you don't want to use the existing files and make one from scratch?
    Or do you want to use the map from ROP?

I'd strongly discourage you from making a map from scratch, it's a huge PITA. You'll have to start with two factions, owning one province, with the faction leader only. And if that works you add the other other provinces one by one, the factions one by one etc. It's tons of work.
    I would rather have a memory that is fair but unfinished than one that goes on to a grievous end.

Quote Originally Posted by Thangaror View Post
    I can't follow. You posted a screenshot of the map.

So, you don't want to use the existing files and make one from scratch?
    Or do you want to use the map from ROP?

I'd strongly discourage you from making a map from scratch, it's a huge PITA. You'll have to start with two factions, owning one province, with the faction leader only. And if that works you add the other other provinces one by one, the factions one by one etc. It's tons of work.
    Oh I thought you meant about the files found in the mod's folder,sorry didn't realize you meant the screenshot (which is btw something the mod developers posted somewhere else,or here but much earlier, so it's not my screenshot to avoid all confusion

Well I already started working on the ROP map,for now I'm trying to remove needles provinces so I can later integrate some new where needed.

Concerning the units,I so far made a total conversion of the Egyptian and Babylonian rooster,so much more remains to be done
    Last edited by Kel'Thuzad; August 19, 2014 at 09:22 AM. Reason: Found the solution to the CTD

Kel'Thuzad, Thangaror
    geographical map is not in the mod folder.

Factions in the release will be more, than the beta version.
    Now in beta - 13 fractions
    Will be 20 fractions

Quote Originally Posted by Akrit View Post
    Kel'Thuzad, Thangaror
    geographical map is not in the mod folder.

Factions in the release will be more, than the beta version.
    Now in beta - 13 fractions
    Will be 20 fractions
    Yeah I guess we came to an understanding about that

But what I don't understand is this,you had a screenshot posted on this thread exactly 4 years ago

My dilemma is,what happened to the work we see on this image? This all seems nearly complete.

Was no one to make new units.

Geographical map only superficially similar to the ready.
    But there's a lot of work.

The initial plan was wider. Now a much simpler version will be.

Quote Originally Posted by Akrit View Post
    Was no one to make new units.

Geographical map only superficially similar to the ready.
    But there's a lot of work.

The initial plan was wider. Now a much simpler version will be.
    You can always keep adding new units,even campaign features in patches,almost every mod works like that. To offer something would give reassurance to people in this mod. But this is something which is up to you.

I see your point,this map seems to have many micro provinces,and while it would be great to have such a detailed map you have to think of the limitations which Rome Total War has,and one of them is the 200 regions limit,while just in the screenshot above there are like 20 regions

Dontfearme22's Avatar Campidoctor

How do you plan to represent the variation in Hittite regional units, will there be a mercenary system so, for example, you have your core Hittite units but you can recruit in vassal regions Arzawa infantry or Kaskians or Hurrians etc... or will they be additions to the core roster available from the start?

Also, what are your plans for the composition of the Trojan roster? I personally for AoB made them a blend of a Luwian culture with some Mycenaean elements, I am curious what your idea would be.
    Last edited by Dontfearme22; August 19, 2014 at 10:19 PM.

I personally for AoB made them a blend of a Luwian culture with some Mycenaean elements
    It is true, we also do.
    But use and Trojan artifacts:
    axes militia
    Spoiler for

Trojan crock. a warrior
    Spoiler for

spear
    Spoiler for

dagger
    Spoiler for

Brivime's Avatar Ordinarius

Looks from the screenshots like you guys are getting some map work done, when can we expect a campaign release?

Cuauchiquetl's Avatar Foederatus

Quote Originally Posted by Cuauchiquetl View Post
    I can't install the mod, when I open the installer it just shows me a windows (that seems to be installing) but shows only question marks instead of text, then a a windows pops with 2 lines of question marks and then it stops.

Any help or advice?
    I could finally install the mod but it crashes immediately, what can I do?

Rhaenys Targaryen's Avatar Campidoctor

Seems there hasn't been word for a few months, anyone have any info on the mod's progress? I love this time period and it would be a shame if the mod died. ^^

Well we can make some changes alone don't we, unofficial ones I have sam background into TW modding (since 2003 and original MTW)

I'd volunteer to help but I know next to nothing about RTW modding. (Now Diablo II on the other hand...)

I have windows 8 and Rome with all DLC's (Steam version), when I use this mod I get black screen for a sec then it closes down!
    Anybody know a fix?

tomySVK's Avatar Campidoctor

Greetings, any news about progress?

Morrowgan's Avatar Centenarius

It baffles me that there is still no finished mod about the Bronze Age. It's a very fascinating time period.
    Member of the Beyond Skyrim Project