Quote Originally Posted by Renatus View Post
My reading of the De Rebus Bellicis differs from this. The purpose of the thoracomachus is stated specifically to be to protect the body against the discomfort of wearing armour, "so that, when it has been put on first" (ut hoc inducto primum), it prevents the body from harm caused by the weight and friction of the armour. The inventor goes on to say, "So when, as we have said, the thoracomachus has been put on" (Hoc igitur, ut diximus, thoracomacho inducto) and the soldier takes up his weapons, he is ready for battle. By using the phrase "ut diximus" and repeating "inducto", the writer is referring back to his earlier statement and thus that the thoracomachus is put on as a preliminary to the soldier donning his armour. He nowhere suggests that it can be used otherwise than in conjuction with armour.
Stephenson and Sumner certainly thought that the inference was it could be worn as armour in its own right and show how it could be worn in this fashion in some of their books. I personally feel it was probably worn on its own whilst on the march and then the armour to be worn in battle was placed over it before the troops deployed into their respective battle formations.

I'd like your translation of this word please as I'm not sure- musculorum