Thread: What actually made Napoleon from a young war hero to old narcistic grump?

EmperorBatman999's Avatar I say, what, what?

Default What actually made Napoleon from a young war hero to old narcistic grump?

Well, probalbly not exactly, but what was that made Napoleon go downhill and go from this:

...to this:

St. Cyr's Avatar Biarchus

Default Re: What actually made Napoleon from a young war hero to old narcistic grump?

Have you looked around? Most guys make this same transition from young stud, to overweight and depressed, and they do that without 5% of the worries and problems Napoleon had on top of his shoulders.

Default Re: What actually made Napoleon from a young war hero to old narcistic grump?

Jospehine

St. Cyr's Avatar Biarchus

Quote Originally Posted by Didz View Post
    Jospehine
    That too :p

Prince of Darkness's Avatar Campidoctor

I think my grandpa looks more handsome when he is 20s... Wonder why?
    Charging in the front at Arcole and got asleep in middle of Waterloo (which force him to hand command over Ney) show that Nappy is already old.
    Marie Louise hurt him more, I think. She got him a baby.

As far as i know Napoleon was also suffering from some kind of illness, at least during the battle of Waterloo.

Geronimo2006's Avatar TAR Local Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by emperor77 View Post
    As far as i know Napoleon was also suffering from some kind of illness, at least during the battle of Waterloo.
    Yes I believe it was a stomach ulcer.
    Colonialism 1600AD - 2016 Modding Awards for "Compilations and Overhauls".

Core i7 2600 @ 3.4ghz - NVIDIA GTX950 2GB

Colonialism 1600 AD blog

EmperorBatman999's Avatar I say, what, what?

Quote Originally Posted by Geronimo2006 View Post
    Yes I believe it was a stomach ulcer.
    I thought that was Spain...

Quote Originally Posted by ♔EmperorBatman999♔ View Post
    Well, probalbly not exactly, but what was that made Napoleon go downhill and go from this...to this:
    20 years

'Gunny's Avatar Überrock über alles
    Content Emeritus

I guess trying to take over the world can be a stressful job

micheljq's Avatar Tiro

Quote Originally Posted by emperor77 View Post
    Many sources believe Napoleon was affected by a sexually transmitted disease at Waterloo. It was not able to mount an horse because of the illness. It may have affected its command skills.

Extreme stress and the fact he often worked 18 hour days.
    Also he would frequently go days without sleep.

But really, he was always a egoist and was always a warhero.

Accually, Napoleon never had dreams to rule the world. He only had one dream, to become a mathamatian, which was his main personal goal through out his life. But once he became Emperor, most people believe he was like Hitler, and wanted to rule the world. But as a matter of fact, he had no intentions of glorious conquests of foriegn lands except one, Britain, the entire Napoleonic Wars was about Napoleon cutting Britains contants and trades, so he could destroy Britiain internally. He had no ideas of crushing Prussia, Austria, Russia and Spain. Infact, 9 times out of ten they declared war on him.

But the causes of Napoleon's physical downfall was age, its simple. He didn't sleep, as hye prefered to work. He hardly ate, some days he didn't eat at all. He only had very plain dinners like soup and bread. Never had anything extravagant. Stress didn't hurt him, many accounts tell of how he was always in control, and was never worried or upset. He wasn't particulally ambitious, he knew what he was doing, he didn't try to take Europe as I stated above, he tried to take England. So the ambition didn't drive him to mental illness. Many accounts say how his mind was still as active and mighty as it was in the late 1790's. The only downfall was his physical side. He became terribly ill by 1815, many stomach and intestonal problems. But many believe he was mad with power. He wasn't his mind was as humble as it ever was (never had a big ego), and remained that way. Many servants accounts I have read and discussed with historians over tell of how he treated all servants and anyone he work with as close friends. But there was still a lot of respect for him.

It was physical Napoleon that lost Waterloo, his mind was being held back by the physical issues. ANd I believe thats what lost Napoleon Waterloo, and many other of his later camapigns. And the fact that he was heavily outnumbered.
    Formally known as 'Marshal Beale' - The Creator the Napoleon TW mods - 'Napoleon Order of War' and 'Revolution Order of War'

I concur, though I wouldn't go as far to way he was not ambitious. He certainly was not a meglomaniac, but he of course was hungry for power.

Also, many authorities say that there is no discrepancies between the young Bonaparte and the old. That he was always the same man with the same sharp intellect and attention to detail, and that this showed through career, even after the Russian campaign like at Hanau, the six days campaign etc.

Quote Originally Posted by micheljq View Post
    Many sources believe Napoleon was affected by a sexually transmitted disease at Waterloo. It was not able to mount an horse because of the illness. It may have affected its command skills.
    Yes, mounting a horse would probably give you an STD...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "Riflllllles! To me!.... Fix Swords!"

Voodo chile's Avatar Campidoctor

lol i was thinknig about that because when i got the demo and watched the opening movie he looked different than the picture on the unit card