Thread: Too much traitors?

Default Too much traitors?

I am currently playing the 361 campaign, and one thing that annoys me the most is that every single of my General suddenly betray me for no reason, and started to form a rebel faction, only to be destroyed because no cities defected.

Given that the general that rebel are usually the ones that are in charge of the various field army, which means I lose quite a few stack of troops thanks to their rebellion.

So I was wondering if there is any way to make it harder for Generals to rebel?

EDIT ADD: Grammatical error in my thread title. It should read "Too many traitor?"
    Last edited by ray243; July 02, 2010 at 06:23 AM.

Default Re: Too much traitors?

Well, one thing you can do yourself - if you know your way around the files - is to increase or add loyalty to both traits and/or some ancillaries.

julianus heraclius's Avatar The Philosopher King

Quote Originally Posted by ray243 View Post
    I am currently playing the 361 campaign, and one thing that annoys me the most is that every single of my General suddenly betray me for no reason, and started to form a rebel faction, only to be destroyed because no cities defected.

Given that the general that rebel are usually the ones that are in charge of the various field army, which means I lose quite a few stack of troops thanks to their rebellion.

So I was wondering if there is any way to make it harder for Generals to rebel?

EDIT ADD: Grammatical error in my thread title. It should read "Too many traitor?"
    I know it is a pain, but rebellious generals are designed to represent opponents to Julian. You need to keep careful watch of your generals. Also there is always a chance that when a character is created he may start disloyal, or loyal for that matter. Also traits such as selfishness, when a general wins a great battle, gaining a triumph, and being disinherited can all increase the chances of a character becoming disloyal.

So keep an eye on your "friends".

Is not moving them also another reason that will led to them rebelling?

Oh well, then I am keeping my generals in transport ships to prevent them from rebellion I suppose.

Lionheart's Avatar Decanus

The two solutions that i created to solve that question are these: first if the general is good i give him some troops but i usually make near him the emperor or other general with high loyalty.
    Also if you feat that a general could betray you and he commands a good group of troops and you are campaigning you first build a fort, them withdraw the general to nearby and build another fort and put only the men in there. This in my case usually works.
    Proud member of EB: Novus Ordo Mundi

I tend to round up any generals that I suspect of treachery and have them 'disposed' of...
    'The Last Pagan Emperor'- An Invasio Barbarorum Somnium Apostatae Juliani AAR
    MAARC L 1st Place
    MAARC LXXI 1st Place

'Immortal Persia' A Civilization III AAR

Prepare to imbibe the medicine of rebuke!

Lionheart's Avatar Decanus

One time i disposed of a general like that. In the next the sons of the guy betray me it was boring.
    Proud member of EB: Novus Ordo Mundi

Julianus Flavius's Avatar Campidoctor

Well a rebellious general in a city needs the city to be angry at you to rebel, he can't do it by himself. A general in a fort can't rebel at all, but is stuch there. I've always found Procopius makes a good commander for one of the gallic field armies, and don't be afraid to grant or remove state titles to increase loyalty. I find that stacking a few titles in a moderately loyal general or family member results in a hugely loyal, and usually very competent, general capable of leading a field armies without rebelling. Remeber, disloyalty does not nessicarily mean incompetence of administration (although sometimes disloyal-inducing traits can also give public order a hit), so do not hesitate to load disloyals with administrative ancilliaries and put them in your very stable cities (like Rome, Constantinople, etc) to govern. Also, disloyal generals make good second-in-commands of armies, and excellent commanders for frontier forts, as they can hire mercinaries to bolster defences if needed.
    Above all, I highly reccomend dividing each field army into it's constituent parts and send them to their areas of recruitment. Let the hordes come, let them crash into your city walls and drive them back. Then, build each comitatenses unit into a full-fledged legion (1 stack) and re-establish your borders before going on offensive wars of conquest!
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    What have the Romans ever done for us?? apart from better sanitation and medicine and education and irrigation and public health and roads and a freshwater system and baths and public order... what have the Romans done for us?
    Some of my favourite quotes:
    "Your god has yet to prove himself more merciful than his predecessors" ~ Hypatia, as represented in the film 'Agora'
    "If you choose to do nothing, they will continue to do this again and again, until there is no-one left in the city, no people for this governement to govern"
    ~ Hypatia, as represented in the film 'Agora'