Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Squalor getting you down? - This will help!

Default Squalor getting you down? - This will help!

Hey all,

This is a modified export_descr_buildings.txt file that changes the effects of buildings to counter Squalor and also making City micro-management more fun and fluent.

Changes:

Governors villa, governors palace, proconsuls palace, imperial palace upgrades now have a Law bonus due to Governance.

Wooden wall, stone wall, large stone wall, epic stone wall upgrades now have a Happiness bonus due to Security.

Academy, scriptorium, ludus magnus buildings now have a Law bonus due to Education.

Sewers, baths, aqueduct, city plumbing now have a Happiness bonus due to Hygiene and cleanliness.

Odeon, lyceum, theatre, stone amphitheatre, urban amphitheatre, great amphitheatre now have increased Happiness bonus.

This effectively balances out the excessive squalor in RomeTW.

Just copy the file into "C:\Program Files\The Creative Assembly\Rome - Total War\data" Make sure you backup your original file before hand.

Although most of these buildings are universal, i may have left out some faction specific buildings, which i will look into. Hope you enjoy a more sensible and less frustrating campaign.

Edit: Added addition building effects for Carthage - Egypt -Barbarian factions:

Tavern, bardic circle now have increased Happiness bonus.

Execution square, secret police hq, secret police network now have increased Law bonus.

------
    Re-uploaded file. Sorry, but forum deletes attachments for some reason.
    ------
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by Ruprecht; August 18, 2019 at 06:42 PM.
    Signature by Lucarius.

Default Re: Squalor getting you down? - This will help!

Ok sweetness dude i love yas in a none homo way. but before i put this text in will it be save game compatable?

Quote Originally Posted by yutterh View Post
    Ok sweetness dude i love yas in a none homo way. but before i put this text in will it be save game compatable?

LOL, yep it is save game compatible.
    Signature by Lucarius.

Thanks bro the squalor stuff was making this game give me a big headache this need to be stickied.

dang wish i had this earlier in my campaign i would have made a lot different choices in what was done. i have a bunch of untis in huge garrisons that dont need to be their anymore and i dont know what to do with all this extra troops. its like putting a factory to work with robots and you have so many guys hired you dont knwo what to do with them. They will be sacrificed to the war with Egypt

dang wish i had this earlier in my campaign i would have made a lot different choices in what was done. i have a bunch of untis in huge garrisons that dont need to be their anymore and i dont know what to do with all this extra troops. its like putting a factory to work with robots and you have so many guys hired you dont knwo what to do with them. They will be sacrificed to the war with Egypt

I usually Disband unwanted troops, i feel bad enough doing that, i coulden't imagine killing them or sending them on a suicide mission into Egypt.

But you are the King you can dispose of them as you see fit.
    Signature by Lucarius.

LMAO we seem t think aliek i hate disbanding them too so i figure dying in batle for glory is much more suitable. but i have so many i can make about 3 1/2 stacks I sent a stack in a half to take some land from egypt i sent a 3/4 a stack to help me take a island the carthaginians ran too and the rest to help finish of the carthaginians on their main section. Already the ones that went to egypt killed almost 2000 and can still go a little further not much though because egypt seems to be in the making of a **** ton of chariots and cavalry.

Brusilov's Avatar Local Moderator
    Citizen

Thanks bro the squalor stuff was making this game give me a big headache this need to be stickied.
    There really isn't a need to sticky it - after all it's just making the game easier to play as you don't have to manage squalor.

Local Forum Moderator (Total War: Eras Technical Help, Shogun 2: Total War, RSII, RTR, World Of Tanks) - please no PMs

War Thunder TWC Player Names: here

Thanks this is great !
    and i agree with the sticky thing

Looks like we've got a hater.

The game is already easy regardless of this, Its not the difficulty that this fixed, its the unrealistic effect of Squalor and the frustration it causes.

If you think you deserve credit for finishing the game while having to persevere with this design flaw (which i have many times) you don't. The game is just as easy without this fix, only one difference .... You don't have to put up with such a broken game mechanic.

If you want to play without this fix great! ... just don't bag people out just because they don't want to endure the utter crap that is Squalor all over again.
    Signature by Lucarius.

LMAO we seem t think aliek i hate disbanding them too so i figure dying in batle for glory is much more suitable. but i have so many i can make about 3 1/2 stacks I sent a stack in a half to take some land from egypt i sent a 3/4 a stack to help me take a island the carthaginians ran too and the rest to help finish of the carthaginians on their main section. Already the ones that went to egypt killed almost 2000 and can still go a little further not much though because egypt seems to be in the making of a **** ton of chariots and cavalry.

Haha, good times

At least they diden't die in vein, speaking of which i started another Seleucid campaign and Egypt attacked one of my cities, got crushed then wanted me to become their Vassal lol.
    Signature by Lucarius.

lmao that egypt.

Fireright's Avatar Campidoctor

Quote Originally Posted by Ruprecht View Post
    Looks like we've got a hater.

The game is already easy regardless of this, Its not the difficulty that this fixed, its the unrealistic effect of Squalor and the frustration it causes.

If you think you deserve credit for finishing the game while having to persevere with this design flaw (which i have many times) you don't. The game is just as easy without this fix, only one difference .... You don't have to put up with such a broken game mechanic.

If you want to play without this fix great! ... just don't bag people out just because they don't want to endure the utter crap that is Squalor all over again.
    Spot On

They put the wrong disc in the box when I bought the game cos I got Squalor Total War

Quote Originally Posted by Fireright View Post

They put the wrong disc in the box when I bought the game cos I got Squalor Total War

LMFAO

"Just when you think you've seen it all ... out of the darkness emerges a new threat .. Creative assembly proudly presents! STW - Peasant uprising (tm)
    Signature by Lucarius.

eXistenZ's Avatar Praeses

Great work!

If you can make a file that allows more family members to be born i'll worship you forever, cause squalor and few FM are the main frustrations

Fireright's Avatar Campidoctor

Quote Originally Posted by Ruprecht View Post

"Just when you think you've seen it all ... out of the darkness emerges a new threat .. Creative assembly proudly presents! STW - Peasant uprising (tm)
    ffs matey don't be giving em any ideas for a new game!!

Looks and sounds good, unfortunately i play with mods that add new factions so this probably isn't compatible.

Can you provide details on how you can alter the buildings file manually?
    Last edited by Puerkl8r; July 02, 2010 at 01:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by eXistenZ View Post
    Great work!

If you can make a file that allows more family members to be born i'll worship you forever, cause squalor and few FM are the main frustrations
    I'm afraid i have no idea how to do that, this Anti-Squalor tweak was my first little project, if it even qualifies as a project lol.

There's so many people on this forum that could do that sort of thing with their eyes closed, so i'll leave it to them. In the event that nobody does try to Mod that i will give it a try, still much to learn. Its likely that you have a better chance of figuring it out than myself.

Quote Originally Posted by Fireright View Post
    ffs matey don't be giving em any ideas for a new game!!
    Hehe, don't worry .. it can't possibly get any worse.

Quote Originally Posted by Puerkl8r View Post
    Looks and sounds good, unfortunately i play with mods that add new factions so this probably isn't compatible.

Can you provide details on how you can alter the buildings file manually?

It is incredibly easy to do, all i did was look up all the buildings in Export_descr_buildings.txt that were suitable for adding Puplic order effects. Then added/increased Building effects in the Capability list of the respective building.

The 3 main Public order effects are:

law_bonus bonus
    happiness_bonus bonus
    population_health_bonus bonus

Then add a number for the magnitude of the effect, i think the threshold is 5, although i haven't tested beyond it. So to get the maximum effect for Law it would be "law_bonus bonus 5" and so forth.

Using effects like population_health_bonus bonus could be problematic as they inherently add to population growth, the reason i did not use it in the squalor tweak.

For the record, i am not a Modder, just a niff-nuff that was sick of Squalor.
    Signature by Lucarius.

There may be an effect that reduces squalor. I know in M2TW that some generals had effects that did that, IDK if that exists in RTW or if you could add an effect like that to buildings. If it was possible to add that, it would be nice to add that to the building used to upgrade towns, ie, the governors palace in RTW. Kind of like how building new walls to upgrade cities in M2TW slows squalor gains, maybe even reduces it, i don't remember.

eXistenZ's Avatar Praeses

Quote Originally Posted by Puerkl8r View Post
    There may be an effect that reduces squalor. I know in M2TW that some generals had effects that did that, IDK if that exists in RTW or if you could add an effect like that to buildings. If it was possible to add that, it would be nice to add that to the building used to upgrade towns, ie, the governors palace in RTW. Kind of like how building new walls to upgrade cities in M2TW slows squalor gains, maybe even reduces it, i don't remember.
    Yes there are traits that affect squalor in Rome, but they are of minimum effect, cause squalor can go up to a 100%

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast