Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 1000 years from now will our time be considered the "Second Dark Ages"?

FabianScarus's Avatar Ducenarius

Default 1000 years from now will our time be considered the "Second Dark Ages"?

Interesting subject to be considered. I mean look what happened in the 20th Century. Heck look whats happening right NOW in America 911 and terrorism. The once great superpower isn't as "super" as it used to be.

So do you think 1000 years from now our time will be dubbed the "Second Dark Ages"?

hellheaven1987's Avatar Comes Domesticorum

Default Re: 1000 years from now will our time be considered the "Second Dark Ages"?

Quote Originally Posted by FabianScarus View Post
    So do you think 1000 years from now our time will be dubbed the "Second Dark Ages"?
    Definately not darker than Victoria age.
    Quote Originally Posted by Markas View Post
    Hellheaven, sometimes you remind me of King Canute trying to hold back the tide, except without the winning parable.
    Quote Originally Posted by Diocle View Post
    Cameron is midway between Black Rage and .. European Union ..

Valandur's Avatar Campidoctor

Default Re: 1000 years from now will our time be considered the "Second Dark Ages"?

Interesting subject to be considered. I mean look what happened in the 20th Century. Heck look whats happening right NOW in America 911 and terrorism. The once great superpower isn't as "super" as it used to be.

So your comparing America to the Roman Empire? So if America falls into some civil revolution where millions are killed and the country dissolves, it will be considered as a Dark Age in the future?

Also, why does terrorism considered such a big threat? Don't piss em off and they won't terrorise you, simple as that.
    America brought this upon itself.

Hehehehe, post 666..
    Quote Originally Posted by Michele Bachmann View Post
    They would be incorrect. The only path to happiness is through Christ.

FabianScarus's Avatar Ducenarius

Quote Originally Posted by Valandur View Post

So your comparing America to the Roman Empire? So if America falls into some civil revolution where millions are killed and the country dissolves, it will be considered as a Dark Age in the future?

Also, why does terrorism considered such a big threat? Don't piss em off and they won't terrorise you, simple as that.
    America brought this upon itself.

Hehehehe, post 666..
    Roughly yes, America's economy is no where near as great as it use to be.

Also I don't mean IF something happens I mean HERE and NOW, but not as bad as the first "Dark Age" of course.
    Last edited by FabianScarus; July 02, 2010 at 12:06 AM.

wowbanger's Avatar Decanus

No, the reason that the dark ages are called the dark ages is that there are very few written sources from that era, not because of the collapse of a superpower. Hence for modern historians it is like someone just turned off the light.

In order for there to be a second dark ages then everyone would have to stop writing stuff down. Given the vast amounts of writing that is done nowadays, in fact more than at any point in history due in large parts due to the internet, I think that is highly unlikely even if America was to fall.

"Some writers never know what's to be written until they see it on the page...." Some words of wisdom from my good friend, Mega Tortas de Bodemloze

No.

Quote Originally Posted by Valandur View Post

Yes, no Hollywood=Dark ages.

Jom's Avatar A Place of Greater Safety
    Content Emeritus Administrator Emeritus

It's an interesting thing to think about but the term "Dark Ages" isn't simply related to the collapse of a superpower; it's everything that went along with Rome as well. In Western Europe, Rome was unique in that it produced highly advanced literature, historical commentary, and great architectural feats. Nowadays, of course, a great many countries in the world produce fine writings, keep very meticulous archives on what is happening (such as archives of every court case in a given country or the British Library which has a copy of every book written in English), and most countries are capable of impressive architectural feats. As such, the epithet "Dark Ages" is not really applicable and unless something happens that we lose all the technology that we have and the ability to record things, then there won't be another Dark Ages.

"For what it’s worth: it’s never too late to be whoever you want to be. I hope you live a life you’re proud of, and if you find that you’re not, I hope you have the strength to start all over again."

Only in the sense that information would be stored on outdated electronic media they will no longer be able to use, the result being they will not really know what was going on at this point in history. That's the only reason why we call the early medieval period the Dark Ages, it's because they didn't record a great deal in written form.
    The wheel is spinning, but the hamster is dead.

Our time certainly isn't a Dark Age.

That was World War 2.
    FREE THE NIPPLE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Slaytaninc View Post
    Our time certainly isn't a Dark Age.

That was World War 2.
    No, World War II was one of the greatest leaps in scientific knowledge and application in history.

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrets54 View Post
    No, World War II was one of the greatest leaps in scientific knowledge and application in history.
    I rather meant the destruction it unleashed.

The OP was complaining about how the US is dealing with terrorism and the like. That's why I pointed out WW2 to him.
    FREE THE NIPPLE!!!

Niles Crane's Avatar Dux Limitis

But wasn't there also a Dark Age sometime around 1200BC?

Manco's Avatar Dux Limitis

I'm wondering how not having a unipolar world means we're in a Dark Age.
    We have unprecedented wealth, technology, amount of literature and other cultural products,... in every single sense the world has gone forward in the last century, despite two massive wars and the threat of another. In no way can that be called dark.

And historians are more and more claiming that Dark Ages aren't actually that dark.

Orko's Avatar Praeses

a thousand years from now, people will not remember 9/11.
    And seeing as we just keep getting more cultured and advanced as the time goes, and we didn't really go downhill from anywhhere, it would probably be seen as just another era in history.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marcus Aurelius
    Live a good life. If there are gods and they are just, then they will not care how devout you have been, but will welcome you based on the virtues you have lived by. If there are gods, but unjust, then you should not want to worship them. If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life that will live on in the memories of your loved ones.

Miniluv's Avatar Ducenarius

Who knows....nobody knows.Only time will tell when and how.

THE WORLD SHALL TREMBLE.

Mig el Pig's Avatar Senator

Quote Originally Posted by Manco View Post

And historians are more and more claiming that Dark Ages aren't actually that dark.
    Indeed, the 'dark ages' were the breeding ground for Westren Civilisation.

Jom's Avatar A Place of Greater Safety
    Content Emeritus Administrator Emeritus

The OP was complaining about how the US is dealing with terrorism and the like. That's why I pointed out WW2 to him.
    Like I said in my post, his definition of "Dark Ages" is flawed.

"For what it’s worth: it’s never too late to be whoever you want to be. I hope you live a life you’re proud of, and if you find that you’re not, I hope you have the strength to start all over again."

You're comparing the destruction of a single war to the events that overthrew most Government and extinguished literacy itself?

Petar's Avatar Miles

The world has never been "brighter". The sole fact that we're all from different corners of the world and we discuss this together shows how much have the global society evolved.

We all know how there been no Great discoveries in the past 50 years, unlike the previous intellectual explosion.
    If the trend remains and somehow in a few centuries the majority of people start asking themselves "Hey, why should I try to make this better if people would buy/use it anyway" and so progress totally halts, then humanity will become simply a bunch of boobs-staring consumers and the second Dark age will begin.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast