Thread: [FF] A ranger's story

Default [FF] A ranger's story

Prologue

The first entry in my upcoming Fan fiction story "A ranger's life". I hope you enjoy it

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Nothing before had ever felt so right. Hador, clad in his wedding attire, felt tremblings along the whole of his body as he reached out to grasp the hand of his beloved. Her features struck him as without match in this moment of stoic commitment. The high cheek bones and her long, flowing brown hair tried to embrace him as a smile creased her face. She tried to speak to him, but he could not listen. Concerned Hador watched as his beloved's features turned from gleesome and smiling to desparing and frightened. She tried to scream and loose herself from his grip, but he would'nt let her go. Soon the other wedding guests ran them on either of the sides, pointing and stumbling from whatever it was Hador could'nt see. His beloved still in his grip, crying and writhing. Somewhere behind him a roaring sound suddenly enroached, as if all the forests had been momentarily set ablaze.

Hador finaly turned around to distinguish the source of this sudden and terrible noise. What he could see was so devilish, so evil in appearance that he for a second forgot to breathe. As he turned around to run from this devilish apparition his beloved was nowhere to be seen, her hands no longer clutched to his. Afraid for her life he called out, but had to make his escape as the apparition moved in his wake. Fleeing along the mainstreet he could see mothers waiving their husbands goodbey, children grasping their skirts. Why did'nt they flee? "Run!" He called to them but they only looked at him confused. "Run for your lives!" he exclaimed a second time but to late. The monstrous creature had already caught up with him. Its fire engulfed arms reached ut for him. He tried to avoid them but the simply was no room to maneuver. Feeling the flames dancing along his back he screamed. The creature placed him face to face and between the surges off pain he could see its cruel countenance, adorned in horns and lucid of an inner inferno. "Why did'nt you rescue me my love?" it cried out with the voice of his fianceé "Why did you let me die my love?". "I did'nt let you die!" Hador replied, his tears evaporating in the scorching grasp. "Why did you abondon me my love?" it cried out again, now with her face embedded inside the creatures. A cruel and wicked parody of her beauty and timid nature. "I did not abandon you" Hador screamed in a broken voice. His ribs shattered as the grip hardened and his skin started to melt in perverse anguish. "But love, I know you did. You should'nt lie to your wife!" and with that the creature exploded in a cascade of light and fire. Hador could feel the very muscles and sinews of his body blast away, eventually standing in lucid harmony when nothing more than the skeleton was left to burn. A rumbling sound could be heard from all sides as if the earth erupted around him. Finaly, even his skeleton succumbed to the unforgiving flames. The final words to cross his dying mind was mere a single word: Eledhwen.

"Wake up Hador!". A cringe of the morning sun met his eye as he slowly retracted from the tormenting slumber. To his left crouched Huirlen, the same who had retrieved him from his illusion. His yellow curls and pointy nose the dominant features of his face. In his usual manner he smiled at him cheerfully and slowly shook his head. "Having nightmares again? You know you really should cut back that Pelagian ale, spare us all some trouble." He rose and walked further back into the cave in wich they were currently residing. Hador positioned himself in a more seated position and recalled the events of the dream. It was the third time this week he dreamt the same dream, a dream he had not dreamt in years now. Some parts of the dream was distorted and unreal but he remembered the origin like it was yesterday. Contemplating the meaning of this he moved towards the dining area, wich really was nothing more than a couple of rocks of wich his small band of rangers had formed a circle. Perhaps it was due to the fact that they were close to the home of his childhood. Perhaps becouse it was almost ten years since the event occured.

Dyrendil gave him a quick nood as he sat down on an adjecent stone. Dyrendil was the party scout and probably the best archer Harod knew east of the river Anduin. His dark, short hair and piercing eyes was excempt from his otherwise ordinary face. He was also straight forward, secretive and brief if he ever talked. The results of a life lived in constant danger and solitude. "Orcs have set up camp one league north of here" he said when Harod reached for a plate of vegetables, cooked potatoes and rabbit meat. "What are there numbers?" Harod anwsered while he took a bite of his meal. He noticed that Dyrendil looked meaningly at Thorbar and Maedor who also sat in the vicinity and understood that there was something unusual about this camp that Dyrendil wanted to report to him in private, before sharing any news with the rest of the men. With a quick nod Dyrendil implied that they should venture outside. Passing through the sleeping quarters and the temporary armory they reached the entrance. Targdol had the current watch and gave each of them a quick nod before he regained his vigil.

When they had walked a good way from the cave Dyrendil finaly made halt. "What's so important that you have to drag me half a league into the woods before telling me?" Harod asked him. They had reached a creek and water pourled down a cliffside a few feet away. Before answering Dyrendil scoured the suroundings to make sure no one followed. When he was statisfied he finally said "The orcs are about a hundred or so.. however, there is a Nazgúl accompanying them". Baffled, Harod could only but exclaim "A Nazgúl!? what is one of Saurons servants doing here in these regions?". "I dont know captain, as I saw it was one of the nine and I thought you'd want to know". Processing this new information, Harod tried to think of what to do. Dyrendil had done well to uncover this information and made a wise decision to tell him seperately, or else it might have stirred up the men. "I think I know what to do. Gather the men, were about to face fear itself"
    Last edited by Ratzor; July 15, 2010 at 06:51 PM.

Default Re: [FF] A ranger's story

wow, i guess it's pretty much useless to write anything Fan ficition wise today. I guess this is my last addition to TATW FF forum, It's obvious that no one is looking through these forums anyway.

Valandur's Avatar Campidoctor

Quote Originally Posted by Ratzor View Post
    wow, i guess it's pretty much useless to write anything Fan ficition wise today. I guess this is my last addition to TATW FF forum, It's obvious that no one is looking through these forums anyway.
    Don't write FF's for feedback!
    Write it for your own enjoyment!
    Quote Originally Posted by Michele Bachmann View Post
    They would be incorrect. The only path to happiness is through Christ.

Quote Originally Posted by Valandur View Post
    Don't write FF's for feedback!
    Write it for your own enjoyment!
    Say that to any real author and I'm pretty sure they would laugh in you're face Nothing written on the internet is for "your own enjoyment". I understand what you're saying but I'm proud of my work and wasting it here does seem pretty redundant now.

Beorn's Avatar Praepositus

This is a great start, Ratzor! Glad to see u back in Lotr writing;don't abandon this, I see much potential
    + rep when I'll be able to give again

Quote Originally Posted by Beorn of Carrock View Post
    This is a great start, Ratzor! Glad to see u back in Lotr writing;don't abandon this, I see much potential
    + rep when I'll be able to give again
    Thank you Beorn, it felt nice to write something again If you'd like me to continue I shall, as long as anybody is actually reading it

Indefinitely Banned

very good ratzor! you have a wide vocab, can i make a suggestion, somthing that would keep ppl hooked, its biased opinion, but abit of a comedy element? ive never read any of tolkein work, so if your followin the same style i woudln't no?

but a nice ciaphas cain element for the ranger would get you attached to the character alot quicker

Quote Originally Posted by AgentGB View Post
    very good ratzor! you have a wide vocab, can i make a suggestion, somthing that would keep ppl hooked, its biased opinion, but abit of a comedy element? ive never read any of tolkein work, so if your followin the same style i woudln't no?

but a nice ciaphas cain element for the ranger would get you attached to the character alot quicker
    Thanks for your feedback and suggestion, it is highly appreciated It was my intent to add a comedic touch to at least one of the characters in the ensuing chapters

Indefinitely Banned

awesome dude! lookin forward to a good read!