Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Naval Supremacy V2.0 UAI!

Default Re: (V 0.6) Universal AI Project

Make one for the campaign AI... for example Im underseige and an ally have a full beautiful flag right next to me and he dont help it mostly happen whe you got like 2 or 3 unist defending against a full enemy flag. 0.o

Default Re: (V 0.6) Universal AI Project

Enjoying the CAI in v0.06. I'm playing as British and the bloody Prussians cancelled their trade agreement with me and declared war! I guess they got their nose out of joint because I kicked the French out of Hannover and would rather have it for themselves. Excellent stuff!!!

The Hedge Knight's Avatar Fierce When Cornered
    Artifex

Default Re: (V 0.65) Universal AI Mod

0.65 out, a few small changes

Leoben's Avatar Decanus

If I'm already using 0.6, will I see differences in 0.65?

Artifex

I hope so. I hope cavalry works better but its hard to change them...

trying it out now will edit back what ithink of it
    edit: well it doesnt seem to work... i start up game with it adn only it and the game crashes right after loading screen
    Last edited by seanjkl; August 11, 2010 at 07:39 PM.

Artifex

Well sean that means probably one of:
    -You dont have an up to date version of napoleon (look in data, you should have a file caled patch 5.pack)
    -You have a conflicting mod (any other mods?)
    -You have a broken version of napoleon (try verifying the integrity of the cache through properties/local files
    Last edited by The Hedge Knight; August 12, 2010 at 05:22 AM.

klesh's Avatar Senator

I finaly got around to giving this a try. One custom battle under my belt, default armies for GB AI and me as France. I found the AI to be definitely different from vanilla. They approached me in good order, sent some rifles to the flanks. Did not suicide their cavalry or general at me and actually put up a good fight. They shot with their foot and charged my line with their guards. Only an intervention by the Old Guard kept that side of my line from collapsing. A good show so far, I'll keep you updated on my thoughts.
    Still playing Napoleon:TW

Leoben's Avatar Decanus

Had my first battle with the AI chickendancing today. Seemed to me that there was a lot of line infantry while I had a lot of artillery, so the AI kept hesitating in how to attack.

I'm interested in your mod but can you explain what tables and attributes you have modified to get the BAI to form better lines?

Artifex

Several. Battle entities is a big one. Unit stats land, kv tables etc...

Leoben's Avatar Decanus

I've played a whole French campaign with this mod and here is my feedback:

First, I chose France and Normal (campaign)/Hard (battle) as difficulty. My goal was to get the medallion of the imperial psychopath achievement, so I declared war to every nation on the map, including my protectorates. I had also modified the ".lua" file as it seemed that when you achieved some missions, a script triggered peace between you and some nations and I wanted to avoid that to get the achievement (but maybe I made a mistake, as I didn't get it anyway ^^).

CAI:

- The CAI seemed good to me although it lacked aggressiveness some times, as I basically had everybody against me but a lot of countries were passive while they could probably have easily crushed me at the beginning, it seems like they were waiting for me to come closer to their regions (maybe their allies didn't give them access to their terriories?). Austria and Prussia were particularly passive until I took bohemia where they finally woke up. Spain was also passive but I guess it depends of the startpos? Seems like Spain isn't very interested in expanding and/or recapturing lost regions. However, Austria did launch some attacks on my regions, and Prussia captured some of my protectorates too.

- On the other hand, Great-Britain was very aggressive and invaded me several times, until I was able to set foot in Ireland and turn Ireland and Scotland into protectorates. I had them declare war on GB but they never once attacked, only placing their armies on the border.

- I finally took the GB region but was unable to keep it because of a strong rebellion. It was kind of frustratring but I thought it made a lot of sense as the major nations would never allow their main regions to be occupied.

- As Spain and GB were constantly destroying my fleets, I was never really able to compete on that level. They seemed to track my fleets to destroy them, although they did let slip some merchants and let them be on trade nodes.

- Once GB, Spain and Portugal were taken care of, I was able to advance quite easily towards Russia, as I was wondering what the russians were doing. They had crushed the ottomans quickly and I only saw some of their ships on the sea from time to time.

- I finally had my first major defeat when a Russion army appeared while I was sieging an austrian town. It was a fun and exciting battle, with the odds against me and I loved the fact that I fought for the first time an "army of the coalition" (Austria + Russia).

- After that, I was finally able to pursue my goals as an "imperial psychopath", marching towards Moscow. Taking a lot of regions, I noticed I had a huge negative with "territorial expansion" (something like -220). Almost all my protectorates were hostile but none of them tried to declare war on me... The only ones which did were Prussia and Austria, and only after I gave them some of their regions back.

- However, when Prussia declared war on me, the surrounding protectorates were quite active, with Norway taking Copenhagen from them and Mecklemburg seizing Berlin.

- I also forgot that the kingdom of Italy did lead a very active war against Austria and captured a couple of regions from them.

Overall, I found the CAI quite good, I just think it may needs some more balancing so that it's more aggressive and helps allies more, although I suppose it could risk to create other problems, like the AI forgetting to protect its capital? I tried boosting up the "help_allies_at_war" to 2500 for every nation as it is the value you used for GB and GB was definitely very active, but maybe it was because of other changes you've made too.

BAI:

- I almost never had a "suicidal general".
    - The cavalry stayed with the cannons and protected them, while other cavalries would attack from the start (but I didn't use your last version of the mod though).
    - I had in two battles (on something like 50+) the enemy chickendancing and switching units around without attacking. I noticed it seemed to happen when I placed all my cannons units near each other at the centre of my line, it seemed to confuse the enemy a lot.

Conclusion: I really enjoyed your mod, the only things I'd like to see is a more aggressive AI, notably helping its allies, if it's possible.
    I've started a peninsular campaign on H/H as the French and I must say it's tough. I lost several battles due to my units losing morale really quick. The spanish and the British have captured several regions and I only had my first victories after several turns.

When this campaign will be over, I'll definitely install your Napoleon: Lines of Battle mod.

Thanks again for the mod and if you need feedback on more specific stuff, please ask me.

Artifex

The high hekp allies at war for gb is my attempt to get it to cross the channel more often, the ai doesnt like crossing water.

But thanks for the feedback!

Leoben's Avatar Decanus

You're welcome, that's the least I can do for all the hours of fun I have due to this mod.

(and it worked for GB, they were definitely eager to cross the channel :p)

By the way, maybe I asked you this question already but I can't remember: what are the best difficulty settings (campaign/battle) for this mod and the Lines of Battle one?

I liked N/H and I'm trying H/H with my peninsular campaign, but I hope the AI won't get so many bonii that the game won't be fun anymore (you know, like having 3 full stacks while the faction has no more economy, that sort of things). And I also see that it seems you tweaked the bonus for the AI in Lines of Battle?

Artifex

Not all the tables in lines of battle are used atm, they are just there so i remember them.

Difficulty is whatever suits you. Personally i always play on h/h because i lose battles that way, whatever you do the ai is still stupid at heart compared to a human so really it needs help.
    Last edited by The Hedge Knight; August 23, 2010 at 06:22 AM.

Jac_PS's Avatar Civis

I'm playing a campaign with your mod and kept going until 1819 so far to see how things change. I'm using a startpos mod and start a campaign with the Ottomans, since they are neutral with every faction in the beginning of the game, and to see the changes in the CAI, my goal was to kept this neutrality and watch the behavior of the other major factions. Here's what I've noticed:

- The start is just like the vanilla, France is allied with Spain, Batavian Rep., other minors and at war with Austria, Great Britain and so on, but the first thing that I've noticed is that France is not so aggressive like in the vanilla, they tend to stay in their borders and not expand so much, instead, Austria became more of an attacker and took Swiss, Kingdom of Italy and Saxony if I remember. Prussia kept it's neutrality.

- I've managed to form alliances with Austria and Russia so they don't invade me, to keep going watching the AI, more like a Total Peace style of game. When I finish my turns, they always ask me to go to war with France, and I continue rejecting their offers.

- Prussia goes to war with Austria and France, in fact, by 1809, Prussia destroyed Austria. Other thing is they go to war with almost every minor nation close to their borders, never see that in the vanilla game, at the same time, Prussia fighting Austria and France.

- Forming an alliance with Prussia, I continue to keep my neutrality, and then Prussia became the aggressor and invade France and other minor nations. One interest thing that I've noticed: Prussia took Paris, then suddenly, gave the territory to Russia (France became green in the map), so I've looked in the diplomacies and their are allied, so I presume they change regions. Russia was unable to maintain peace in France and French Rebels take Paris (map became gray), awesome. Prussia took it back a few turns later.

- Many regions in the hands of rebels, like Norman Rebels at Caen and so on, at least more rebellions than the vanilla game I think.

- Whit France too weak to put up a fight, I invaded Spain and Portugal, triggering a war with France. Another cool thing: I request peace with France and got it, never see that in the vanilla too, at least not with France. I've managed to invade Naples too, and to my surprise, Prussia helped me with a full stack that was stationary in Rome after they (Naples) rebel against me.

- By now (1819), Great Britain is a Republic and at war with Prussia, Sweden and Russia, they invade by sea in several locations on the map, like Croatia and Britanny. Sweden is a Republic too and at war with Russia, who in turn, is at war with everyone except me and Mecklenburg. The only nations left are GB, Prussia, Russia and me; minors are Swiss (that reappeared in the map), Mecklenburg, Denmark and Sweden.

So, what can I say, I just can't go back to the vanilla CAI, I'll try another faction, maybe a minor one just to see what happens, I really like the unexpected moves the AI does with your mod. Sorry for my bad English and such a large post. Keep the good work.
    Last edited by Jac_PS; August 25, 2010 at 05:52 AM.

Leoben's Avatar Decanus

On the contrary, I think these informations are very interesting for Josst (well, the hedge Knight now :p ).

Which difficulties were you using (campaign/battle)?

About France not being aggressive enough, I guess this could be changed by raising France's desire for expansion?

Also, I've started a peninsular campaign with France (HARD/HARD) and I had done a little change in the mod, raising "HELP_ALLY_AT_WAR" to 2500 to see the changes. Here is what I've noticed:

- Spain and GB were initially very aggressive, conquering a lot of regions, but they left them completely unguarded and did not develop it (they weren't looted either).

- In the battles, often the AI would try and charge me without shooting. I think it was because my units were weaker and theirs stronger because of the campaign and the difficulty level. I guess there is something in the AI telling "just charge them if they're lower than %"

- The campaign was fun (I think I'm nearing the end) but I have the feeling Spain, GB and Portugal kind of were too passive after their initial attacks.

I guess some things should be changed on the AI for the peninsular campaign to make it more active and aggressive. If you want, maybe I could take a look at it?

Artifex

Quote Originally Posted by Jac_PS View Post
    I'm playing a campaign with your mod and kept going until 1819 so far to see how things change. I'm using a startpos mod and start a campaign with the Ottomans, since they are neutral with every faction in the beginning of the game, and to see the changes in the CAI, my goal was to kept this neutrality and watch the behavior of the other major factions. Here's what I've noticed:

- The start is just like the vanilla, France is allied with Spain, Batavian Rep., other minors and at war with Austria, Great Britain and so on, but the first thing that I've noticed is that France is not so aggressive like in the vanilla, they tend to stay in their borders and not expand so much, instead, Austria became more of an attacker and took Swiss, Kingdom of Italy and Saxony if I remember. Prussia kept it's neutrality.

- I've managed to form alliances with Austria and Russia so they don't invade me, to keep going watching the AI, more like a Total Peace style of game. When I finish my turns, they always ask me to go to war with France, and I continue rejecting their offers.

- Prussia goes to war with Austria and France, in fact, by 1809, Prussia destroyed Austria. Other thing is they go to war with almost every minor nation close to their borders, never see that in the vanilla game, at the same time, Prussia fighting Austria and France.

- Forming an alliance with Prussia, I continue to keep my neutrality, and then Prussia became the aggressor and invade France and other minor nations. One interest thing that I've noticed: Prussia took Paris, then suddenly, gave the territory to Russia (France became green in the map), so I've looked in the diplomacies and their are allied, so I presume they change regions. Russia was unable to maintain peace in France and French Rebels take Paris (map became gray), awesome. Prussia took it back a few turns later.

- Many regions in the hands of rebels, like Norman Rebels at Caen and so on, at least more rebellions than the vanilla game I think.

- Whit France too weak to put up a fight, I invaded Spain and Portugal, triggering a war with France. Another cool thing: I request peace with France and got it, never see that in the vanilla too, at least not with France. I've managed to invade Naples too, and to my surprise, Prussia helped me with a full stack that was stationary in Rome after they (Naples) rebel against me.

- By now (1819), Great Britain is a Republic and at war with Prussia, Sweden and Russia, they invade by sea in several locations on the map, like Croatia and Britanny. Sweden is a Republic too and at war with Russia, who in turn, is at war with everyone except me and Mecklenburg. The only nations left are GB, Prussia, Russia and me; minors are Swiss (that reappeared in the map), Mecklenburg, Denmark and Sweden.

So, what can I say, I just can't go back to the vanilla CAI, I'll try another faction, maybe a minor one just to see what happens, I really like the unexpected moves the AI does with your mod. Sorry for my bad English and such a large post. Keep the good work.

Thanks, yes i have noticed that france could perhaps be a little more aggressive, ill take a look into it for 0.7

I havent made regions more likely to rebel. Interesting that prussia should give russia a region...

Quote Originally Posted by Leoben View Post
    On the contrary, I think these informations are very interesting for Josst (well, the hedge Knight now :p ).

Which difficulties were you using (campaign/battle)?

About France not being aggressive enough, I guess this could be changed by raising France's desire for expansion?

Also, I've started a peninsular campaign with France (HARD/HARD) and I had done a little change in the mod, raising "HELP_ALLY_AT_WAR" to 2500 to see the changes. Here is what I've noticed:

- Spain and GB were initially very aggressive, conquering a lot of regions, but they left them completely unguarded and did not develop it (they weren't looted either).

- In the battles, often the AI would try and charge me without shooting. I think it was because my units were weaker and theirs stronger because of the campaign and the difficulty level. I guess there is something in the AI telling "just charge them if they're lower than %"

- The campaign was fun (I think I'm nearing the end) but I have the feeling Spain, GB and Portugal kind of were too passive after their initial attacks.

I guess some things should be changed on the AI for the peninsular campaign to make it more active and aggressive. If you want, maybe I could take a look at it?
    Ill look at upping the desire to delevelop regions to try and strike more of a balence. Ill take down raid behavior and see if that helps.

Leoben's Avatar Decanus

I've just done one quick test which was interesting, this time it's about the BAI:

- When I played the european campaign (N/H), the AI sometimes chickendanced (often when I had several units of artillery close together) but it never charged right on in my troops, it often exchanged volleys before charging.

- In the peninsular campaign (H/H), I've noticed that the AI (notably GB) tended to charge all his troops at one point of my line (usually the centre) much often, which resulted in massive losses for the AI, and some wins for them from time to time as my units seemed to demoralize really quick.

So, I had to play a battle between me (France) vs a stack of about the same number, 15 or so, but the AI had better quality units. When I started the battle, the AI advanced in columns and charged at the centre of my line, while cavalry attacked on the flank and was destroyed by squares. As there was a young guard unit at the centre of my line, the British army suffered a lot of casualties before demoralizing a line unit at the centre in hand to hand combat. During that time, I moved my other units to shoot at the units in melee, resulting in a slaughter for the British army.

I was of course kind of disappointed by the result and then I thought: what if bonuses given to the AI modified its behaviour, making it more (stupidly) aggressive on Hard?

So I tried again the battle on normal, this was kind of different. The cavalry attacked on the flank like before (remember I'm not using 0.65, maybe I should), but the infantry advanced in columns and then deployed to exchange volleys with my line. It was still aiming for my centre, but no "blind charge" this time. Of course, as the AI didn't have the morale bonus and I didn't have the morale penalty, it demoralized faster and thus lost the battle.

But the funny thing is that, on normal, I had lost about twice the number of men lost on hard.

Josst, do you think it could be interesting to look into the bonus and penalty of the BAI according to the difficulty level? Maybe it could help making the BAI less prone to attack in a suicidal way? That's just a suggestion of course.

Artifex

Ill look into everything for 0.7 you suggest and alot else.