Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Battle Map W.I.P - White Plains

Hinkel's Avatar Commander in Chief

Default Re: Battle Map W.I.P - White Plains

I used his map to get a small battle story of fredericksburg. He is realy talented and the map is truely awesome!

Fredericksburg, 13th December 1862 (White Plains by Flavious)

The brigades of A.P.Hills division are the extremly right flank of the CSA Army. They know that the yankees are coming this way.

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

At this time, 24 guns are aiming on the small fort of the rappahanock river.

About 10 o'clock the first union troops are spotted. The artillery opened fire.

Many yankees were hit, but they are still on the advance!

General Hills view is perfect. The union troops are still advancing, but regiment after regiment were hit by the shells and explosions.

As the yankees come in range of the first troops, the CSA irish opened fire.

The are now at the river, but this was a bad decision. In range of double canisters, more and more troops died. Dust and blood everywhere...
    Will they reform and hit them a second time?

--------------------------- The American Civil War for Total War ------------------------------

ToonTotalWar's Avatar Indefinitely Banned

Great map Hinkel!!

MorganH.'s Avatar Finis adest rerum

And a nice screenshow Hinkel,+rep !

It's so deeply satisfying to see you all enjoying the map -- it makes all the work on it feel worthwhile.
    So many posts on TWC about maps have come from players asking for river battles, more hills to make maps more interesting, etc. So I'm glad we have that now.
    Terrific screenshots -- really makes me want to play the ACW mod, too! But how did the story end? Did the Union forces manage to cross the river and assault the hill, or did they just get mowed down? That certainly was an impressive artillery barrage.
    Was this played with the new version of the ACW mod? Or is that still "coming soon?"

Quick update: I've got the stone walls about half done on the heightmap now, using the technique that forms a strip of raised terrain. Once those are all formed, I can apply a stone wall photo texture to them and see how they look in-game. My experiment with a small wall like this in-game last weekend produced great results: They look good, can be crossed by infantry and cavalry (they actually do the show-jumping animation over it) and they appear to offer some defensive benefit. Also, they game doesn't read them as "cliff" terrain, and that means I can paint my own texture on them -- so they'll look more like real rural stone walls than llinear rock formations. Once the new version of the map is done, I'll post the file likes here so anyone who already has the initial version of the map can update their battleterrain files. I'll post a few screenshots once they're done.

Sounds great Flavious ! +rep

Hinkel's Avatar Commander in Chief

Quote Originally Posted by Flavious View Post
    Quick update: I've got the stone walls about half done on the heightmap now, using the technique that forms a strip of raised terrain. Once those are all formed, I can apply a stone wall photo texture to them and see how they look in-game. My experiment with a small wall like this in-game last weekend produced great results: They look good, can be crossed by infantry and cavalry (they actually do the show-jumping animation over it) and they appear to offer some defensive benefit. Also, they game doesn't read them as "cliff" terrain, and that means I can paint my own texture on them -- so they'll look more like real rural stone walls than llinear rock formations. Once the new version of the map is done, I'll post the file likes here so anyone who already has the initial version of the map can update their battleterrain files. I'll post a few screenshots once they're done.
    Weeaaaheeey.... I'm very excited and looking forward to it!
    --------------------------- The American Civil War for Total War ------------------------------

Default Stone walls now added to White Plains map!

Here's the link for the files that update the map:

http://www.filefront.com/17286270/Ne...With Walls.rar

1. Extract this folder to a new folder in your Empire data directory.

2. Using Pack File Manager, open your TAR core pack file and open the White Plains battle map file.

3. Use the "replace file" command to replace each of the four heightmap files and each of the four colour map files with the new ones.

4. Save the pack file, and enjoy!

Changes:

1. Added stone walls throughout the map. They are made of raised strips of terrain, painted with a wal texture. These are the low, thigh-high to waist-high walls that were prevalent throughout this area in the 1770s. They can be climbed and crossed by infantry and cavalry, but they can offer some defensive benefit to units deployed behind them.

2. Made the marsh areas a bit marshier, so that water shows in some places.

Thanks a lot Flavious,Toon will implement this with much love im sure ! +rep

Default Re: Stone walls now added to White Plains map!

Here's the link for the files that update the map:

http://www.filefront.com/17286270/Ne...With Walls.rar

1. Extract this folder to a new folder in your Empire data directory.

2. Using Pack File Manager, open your TAR core pack file and open the White Plains battle map file.

3. Use the "replace file" command to replace each of the four heightmap files and each of the four colour map files with the new ones.

4. Save the pack file, and enjoy!

Changes:

1. Added stone walls throughout the map. They are made of raised strips of terrain, painted with a wal texture. These are the low, thigh-high to waist-high walls that were prevalent throughout this area in the 1770s. They can be climbed and crossed by infantry and cavalry, but they can offer some defensive benefit to units deployed behind them.

2. Made the marsh areas a bit marshier, so that water shows in some places.
    The download link does not work mate?

I've uploaded White Plains to a new Filefront link, and PMed it to Toon and Morgan.
    Hopefully, their request means they're nearly ready to include it in 2.0 and release the mod!

Thanks a lot for the new link Flavious +rep(in 24);

http://www.filefront.com/17368486/white_plains.rar/

And yes Toon is gonna include this map for TAR II for sure!

Quote Originally Posted by ♔MorganH♔ View Post
    Thanks a lot for the new link Flavious +rep(in 24);

http://www.filefront.com/17368486/white_plains.rar/

And yes Toon is gonna include this map for TAR II for sure!
    Done!

I've uploaded White Plains to a new Filefront link, and PMed it to Toon and Morgan.
    Hopefully, their request means they're nearly ready to include it in 2.0 and release the mod!
    Just tried the map, but cannot see any walls in game?? hmm...

Flavious - just to give you some insight into TAR 2.0. we have reserved the following TAR_Battles.pack so you can implement all your maps into this pack as we go along!!

That's great news, Toon....
    Because I just finished Guilford Courthouse!
    It's the best one yet. I'll send you the files very soon.
    And I'll post a W.I.P. thread to give all our fellow Revolutionaries a virtual tour.

That's great news, Toon....
    Because I just finished Guilford Courthouse!
    It's the best one yet. I'll send you the files very soon.
    And I'll post a W.I.P. thread to give all our fellow Revolutionaries a virtual tour.

Fantastic news Flavious,cannot wait !

Default Orders of Battle and historical accounts for this map

A word about the orders of battle and the forces:

The British player should have superior and highly experienced troop quality.

Also, if you want to be historical you should give the British/Hessian forces lots of artillery -- the grand battery Howe used to bombard Chatterton's Hill before his assault was based around Fisher's hill -- that farm on a rise just east across the river, about midway down the map. I recommend making a lot of these cannons mortars, because they have the high angle of fire you need to lob shots high over the river and down onto the American positions on the hilltop. It's not practical to drag British artillery up that hill, and it moves too slowly to be of use. But some horse artillery can help there.

The American players' forces should be mostly militia, and only the few Continental regular regiments should have good morale and experience. It might not be fun for the American player to have such fragile units, but that was the reality -- The American army at this moment in the war had just been defeated in New York, was in retreat, and was right on the verge of disintegrating -- the battle only happened because Howe managed to catch up to Washington and force a fight. One good final push from the British should have been enough to finish them off and win the war.

A historical setup like this can make a good battle: Inferior troops with a superior defensive position on a hill, facing crack British/Hessian forces attacking uphill and across a river.

Here again is a link to an OOB that Newman posted some time ago:

http://en.academic.ru/dic.nsf/enwiki/229506

An OOB from the famous and well-respected Nafziger collection:

http://www.cgsc.edu/CARL/nafziger/776JAA.pdf

Here's a great site with an eyewitness account of the battle:

http://america.library4history.org/V...TE-PLAINS.html

For some historical color, view this Google Books sneek-peek at an Osprey publication on the NY 1776 campaign, which includes White Plains:

http://books.google.com/books?id=Ocl...201776&f=false

A highly detailed battle account from an 1800s history of the area:

http://books.google.com/books?id=qj0...page&q&f=false

A summary page on this battle, not very detailed, but useful and it has a basic OOB:

http://www.myrevolutionarywar.com/battles/761026.htm

Good site that has links, battle summaries, and some photos of what some of the battlefield locations look like today:

http://www.angelfire.com/realm3/royn...iteplains3.htm
    Steam ID: broadsword56

nigelnire's Avatar Decanus

Excellent Information Flavious

nigelnire's Avatar Decanus

Im setting up a White plains OOB but one of the British units that took part in the Battle of White Plains was the 16 th Dragoons but they are only available in Late custom battles. Is there any way we can get them into the early units? I can’t find where to give them early availability with PFM.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345