Page 22 of 22 FirstFirst ... 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22

Thread: Testing vBulletin 4.0

Bolkonsky's Avatar how you doin?

Default Re: Testing vBulletin 4.0

This is what I get:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails poll.JPG  

Under the Patronage of Leonidas the Lion|Patron of Imperator of Rome - Dewy - Crazyeyesreaper|American and Proud

Squid's Avatar Opifex
    Artifex Technical Staff

What browser are you using?

Under the patronage of Roman_Man#3, Patron of Ishan
    Click for my tools and tutorials
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -----Albert Einstein

Chrome. v16

Under the Patronage of Leonidas the Lion|Patron of Imperator of Rome - Dewy - Crazyeyesreaper|American and Proud

Squid's Avatar Opifex
    Artifex Technical Staff

So am I, I wonder why I'm getting different results.

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -----Albert Einstein

GrnEyedDvl's Avatar Barackolypse Now
    Artifex Technical Staff

Mine look like Bolks on IE 8 and Firefox. This is Firefox 9.0.1

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

One thing I did notice in both browsers is that the formatting in the footer is messed up on some pages, particularly the PMs.

One thing I did notice in both browsers is that the formatting in the footer is messed up on some pages, particularly the PMs.
    How so? Mine looks fine.

EDIT:

One small CSS error on the dropdown menu, they don't show up until you mouseover, shouldn't be a difficult fix though:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails css error.JPG  
    Last edited by Bolkonsky; January 16, 2012 at 02:35 PM.

Artifex Technical Staff

Only one ad shows in the PMs page, and the layers are overlapping. Not a huge concern at the moment but I did notice it.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails vb42.jpg  

Opifex
    Technical Staff

To say a few words on Vb4's competitor, XenForo (started by the original Jelsoft development team, which left after Vb3...), I know several people who've started using it; it seems like an interesting option. Also, it transitions quite well for big forums, some of which have more posts and users than ours. IGN, for example, have made the announcement to move to it, and are now doing an internal beta for their premium subscribers.

In general seems to be a much better forum software; the only downside is that a few features are (still) missing. On other features, however, xF has already overtaken Vb4, and if we take a look at the pace of the latter's development (which in the last 2-3 years had been microscopic at best), it's a safe projection that in a year's time xF will be on par with Vb4's present features and options.
    Last edited by SigniferOne; January 17, 2012 at 11:46 AM.

"If ye love wealth greater than liberty,
    the tranquility of servitude greater than
    the animating contest for freedom, go
    home from us in peace. We seek not
    your counsel, nor your arms. Crouch
    down and lick the hand that feeds you,
    and may posterity forget that ye were
    our countrymen."
    -Samuel Adams

Squid's Avatar Opifex
    Artifex Technical Staff

That's a decision for another time, as the bug plugins this site has are not in existence in Xenforo and so that option is irrelevant for us, and unless there's a good need to change we might as well stick with what works.

Augustus Lucifer's Avatar Life = Like a beanstalk
    Citizen Vault Staff

How's this progressing? Seems like 4.1.11 was deployed last week to the vB.com forums, though there's talk of a 4.1.12 before the upcoming release of 4.2. I tried the information Sim sent me a while ago for Pandora but it (expectantly) was disabled, so if someone could send me login information for the test server

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Artifex Technical Staff

I show you as having never logged in. I am resetting your password and will PM it to you.

Augustus Lucifer's Avatar Life = Like a beanstalk
    Citizen Vault Staff

Thanks GED, got it and it works.

Okay I looked into the Sakera's Hide Poll Result thing that Squid was talking about. The plugin does not seem to make any substantial changes to the format of the poll display in poll.php or showthread.php. Instead it hooks into them at poll_results_bit and force modifies the values that are placed in each of the columns if the user satisfies certain conditions(seems to be not admin, not moderator with edit poll, not thread creator, and something to do with timing out I can't decipher). So without adding substantially to the hack or the skin templates I couldn't see any way to change it not aligning properly, as the only formatting in the hack itself corresponds to the phrase above("The results in this poll are hidden." or etc).

The thing is it takes the column usually reserved for a number, the votes column, and makes it into a 22 character long phrase hidden_results_statement, certainly a much higher length than someone designing the column width for the poll_bit would consider giving that column for numbers. So what's likely happening is it's throwing it on a second line because it couldn't fit in the allocated screen display. What I did was change the phrase referenced to one I custom created display_empty_string which just contains " " (I know, it's not empty, sue me). So now all you see after each vote option is the 0%, which can't be changed/removed through the hack since the '%' tacked on seems to be handled elsewhere. You still have the top middle phrase stating the poll is hidden, so there's really no need for it to be stated after each poll option.

The two modified plugin parts were: "Remove results view from poll.php" and "Remove results view from showthread.php". To add it to the live implementation you'd need to add the new phrase also; I haven't done this since I don't know if others feel this is a suitable solution.

(Is there anything else we're looking at right now? Should I start looking through the TWC Tweaks and see what needs to be fixed if anything? No guarantees, I'm very busy/rusty, but worst case scenario the server implodes and we all blame Anti-Sim.)
    Last edited by Augustus Lucifer; March 06, 2012 at 08:18 PM.

Opifex
    Technical Staff

Hi guys, what's the status? Where are we at with this?

"If ye love wealth greater than liberty,
    the tranquility of servitude greater than
    the animating contest for freedom, go
    home from us in peace. We seek not
    your counsel, nor your arms. Crouch
    down and lick the hand that feeds you,
    and may posterity forget that ye were
    our countrymen."
    -Samuel Adams

Squid's Avatar Opifex
    Artifex Technical Staff

I'm attempting to upgrade the install on pandora to 4.1.12 right now, it seems to be slow so we'll see what happens. I'm also, on a separate machine, trying to rebase the currant files onto the 4.1.12 files.

Squid's Avatar Opifex
    Artifex Technical Staff

After a long upgrade and a minor glitch, pandora is now running 4.1.12PL1.

Artifex Technical Staff

How comfortable would you be doing this on thor? I am going to order new drives and stuff this week.

Squid's Avatar Opifex
    Artifex Technical Staff

Sorry doing which on thor? Upgrading the vbulletin install on thor as long as thor is serving as a backup to mjollnir will cause problems.

Artifex Technical Staff

If I put new hardware in thor (drives mostly) it will be a brand new install, which means I will have to break the MySQL link. No matter how we finally end up doing things, this will have to be done since our current drive setup is fairly low on available space.

So we might as well bite the bullet and go for it. Kill the link between thor and mjollnir, install new drives, install the newest LTS version of Ubuntu, replicate the database between thor and mjollnir again (a single time), copy config files and scripts, and start the upgrade process on thor.

While working on thor, we can also setup atlas (vault server) as a database backup similar to what thor is doing now. So if it takes a few weeks to get thor sorted out we still have duplicates.

Squid's Avatar Opifex
    Artifex Technical Staff

Makes sense, it isn'tt be hard to do the porting of base install with our db to a new thor, the problem as always is our customizations.

Page 22 of 22 FirstFirst ... 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22

Thread Information