Thread: German troop selection

Default German troop selection

What do people use for fighting roman troops as germans? I have a terrible problems with triarii or principies or hastii. The javelins of the later two decimate my troops and triarii just refuse to die or route even when surrounded by axemen or double axemen. The night raiders are great if they can get a volley off but it takes them forever to reload. Love the animation of axes hitting troops and having them flung up in the air. I usually bring 2 archers or 2 javelineers for ranged support. I'm having a hard time getting heavy cav for rear charges into the enemy troops. Also charging into the backs of triarii doesn't do much... Looking for good ideas here. I have no trouble with the celts or iberians and less trouble with macedon.

Zarax's Avatar Triple Chaosmaster

Default Re: German troop selection

A line of cheap spearmen in shield wall will hold the romans nicely and is easy to replenish, put a berseker unit behind the line and night raiders/chosen axemen on the flanks with a couple heavy cavalry units.
    You cannot win in a straight battle against the romans so you have to hit their morale, a couple units of slingers will also soften them up nicely.
    The Best Is Yet To Come:

Thanks for the tips. I typically use axemen as my base unit in my line.

That's a pretty expensive line... 6 spearmen in ranks of 3-4 will hold nicely if you're using BI, under RTW or alex things are more difficult though.
    The Best Is Yet To Come:

Ah well I'm using RTW vanilla. I'm going to try using spearmen and flanking with other units. I miss the berserker power sticks with men flying everywhere. But they seems fairly well balanced.

Default Re: German/sabean troop selection

Hi I'm wondering what is commonly used to kill thoratiki from the selucids as the sabeans. I can't kill them with anything i've got. They chew threw 5 chevron arab spearment (they are terrible I know). Any ideas?

Spam axemen, if you can use the ethiopian ones.
    They will get high losses but also cause them.
    The Best Is Yet To Come:

Is there a second choice besides ethopian axemen? Heavy cav seems like it might work if you could get lancers of some sort... Other ideas?

What difficulty are you playing?
    If all else fails you'll need to counter them with your own heavy infantry, temple guard should vanquish them easily.
    The Best Is Yet To Come:

I'm playing on M/M. I'm having a hard time getting up the resources to upgrade my cities to upper barracks. Besides fighting the selucids/ptolemies/eastern kingdoms. I had fought my way to memphis, taken it and was sieging alexandria. Won the battle during the AI's turn. Then had the spawn of elite units from alexandria as I was planning on occupying it next turn. It's not looking so good.

I'm afraid you will have to use hit and run tactics with light cavalry then.
    What his the highest barracks level you have?
    The Best Is Yet To Come:

Level 4 I believe. It permits me to build javelin heavy cav and chariot archers. I think I'll stall as long as possible against selucia and then hit them when I've finished up egypt.

Heavy spears supported by axemen, javcav and archer/spearmen should do the trick.
    The Best Is Yet To Come:

Sounds like a good idea. However Hannibal's mates have come calling into egypt..I think that's GG. I can't believe I forgot land blocks!