Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Preview: The Innovative Building tree

Default Preview: The Innovative Building tree

So you want to recruit vikings in your settlement eyh? Well it's not just a thoughtless process of creating barracks level 1 and start pumping those badguys out anymore!

In 785 the Baltic settlements' development were of different level and quality, but to enhance gameplay most settlements on our campaign map will start as a small village without any constructed buildings in it (other than crappy shacks as quarters). At the start of the campaign the settlements will have poor trade and 0 growth, representing the shabby living conditions and lack of infrastructure during the dark ages.

It will be your job as a leader to develop your settlements from a mere gathering of poor countryfolk into rich, influential hubs of power spewing out well-equipped (armor and weapon-wise that is...) vikings ready for war and pillaging.

So again, you want to recruit vikings? Well, to do that you will need a tool shed to provide tools for constructing buildings. Yes that's right, the pessimistic, gloom people in the Baltic hadn't even thought of creating a communal shack for tools until you showed up. (Notice from the picture above that all other buildings requires tool shed to be built.)

Right, so you have your tool shed. If you want to recruit vikings you will have to train them and supply them with proper armor and weapons... Vikings need leather armor and 2 handed axes!
    To make leather armor for them you will need pelts, so a trapper must be constructed to be able to gather large quantities of animal pelts. Then you need someone to work the pelts... that would be the tanner. He will work those pelts into usable leather armor for your units.

Now for the 2-handed axes: First you must build a wood worker to efficiently provide wood, and then a charcoal burner to supply the smithy which in turn provides the 2 handed axes.

So now you have the equipment availiable, but your units need to learn how to use their weapons properly, how much their armor protects and how to fight in formation and follow orders. So you will need a longhouse to have a place to recuit and train regular countryfolk into battleready vikings.

As this process takes time you must sacrifice building trade and growth structures in favor of military buildings. If poorly managed you might very well go bankrupt unless you use your vikings to raid neighbouring villages... Which you will of course, that's why you wanted vikings in the first place, right?

Another part we have rewamped with the building tree is the size of the settlements, both population and upgrade levels. All of the settlements will start out as a village without walls and there will most likely not be possible to upgrade to stone walls in any settlement.
    In addition to being historical accurate, this have some additional advantages in M2TW.
    Firstly there will be much less prolonged sieges, especially in early campaign.
    Secondly we won't see the hopeless pathfinding on top of the stonewalls and in castles sieges.

Historian - all things Viking Son of absinthia

Horsa's Avatar Artifex

Default Re: Preview: The Innovative Building tree

Great work as always Ulfhednin!

That's an interesting approach! Does the AI seem capable of handling it?

Stephan's Avatar Campidoctor

great work guys

Does the AI seem capable of handling it?
    i was jsut goping to ask the same thing

Yes, I know that Ishtar is spelled wrong

Alexandros I.'s Avatar Ordinarius

Amazing! This will make the game much more profound and realistic.

Mega Tortas de Bodemloze's Avatar Let's Get After It
    Fort Hood, Texas/Parramatta, New South Wales, Bristol, Tennessee

Realism unleashed......Breathtaking....

+Rep to Both of you...and thank you both for your tireless work on this...
    Last edited by Mega Tortas de Bodemloze; June 29, 2010 at 06:02 AM. Reason: grammar
    A Lion serves in Winter, then perhaps a Unicorn for the Spring.

If you cannot stand behind what you say.... then do not speak. If your words are taken out of context,
    then the weight of the evidence will still fall in your favor and carry the day

The Casual Tortoise: Mega's Guide to Fast Turtling

Nice Knights and Merchants mechanism !

and ye what bout AI ?

Horsa's Avatar Artifex

The AI seem to be handling it well whenever I test the campaign.

Heathen Storm's Avatar Where's my axe?

Wow... this is definitely the best idea I have ever heard Such an excellent mod idea! Congrats guys, can't wait to play!

Proud mod leader, modeller and public relations officer of Heiðinn Veðr: Total War

It's a fabulous idea. Keep up the good work!

EVYATAR's Avatar EvyatarNevoDesign

great idea!
    really like it
    R.I.P Blackomur | The Shadow of Ishtar | Proud to be israeli
    My Tutorial | My Workshop | I.A.F Web | 2D Artist & Skinner

Hereje's Avatar Artifex

Really nice!!

The interdependence of the buildings reminds of the Stronghold series; to recruit a knight you need peasants, a blacksmith, an armourer, a stable, and so on.
    Screw multiculturalism and the horse it rode in on

looking foward

DragonsWarrior's Avatar Senator

nice work looking forward to the release of it

MorganH.'s Avatar Finis adest rerum

Very Nice !

wudang_clown's Avatar Fire Is Inspirational

Well thought and logical building tree. Good job.

Under the patronage of m_1512

Awesome preview, adds a lot of new possibilities! Cheers!

TiTiTimmy's Avatar Centenarius

Amazing work +rep
    Wanted for:
    Breaking and gluing back together and trying to pass off as never being broken in the first place.
    Assault with a weapon that couldn't have possibly been deadly, but unfortunately was

"You know what they say: give a man a fish, and he'll stink up the whole town. Give a man a fishing rod -- see where I'm going here? Give him a fishing rod and he'll poke your eye out."

Rep goes both ways, just leave your name

Kjertesvein's Avatar Remember to smile
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

Another part we have rewamped with the building tree is the size of the settlements, both population and upgrade levels. All of the settlements will start out as a village without walls and there will most likely not be possible to upgrade to stone walls in any settlement.
    Do you mean that a few metropolitan will be able to do so. I know it's technically possible (as it's done with DLV). Which one? It's a nice feature because CA siege fighting is crap, but "most likly"? What do you mean?

~Wille
    Thorolf was thus armed. Then Thorolf became so furious that he cast his shield on his back, and, grasping his halberd with both hands, bounded forward dealing cut and thrust on either side. Men sprang away from him both ways, but he slew many. Thus he cleared the way forward to earl Hring's standard, and then nothing could stop him. He slew the man who bore the earl's standard, and cut down the standard-pole. After that he lunged with his halberd at the earl's breast, driving it right through mail and body, so that it came out at the shoulders; and he lifted him up on the halberd over his head, and planted the butt-end in the ground. There on the weapon the earl breathed out his life in sight of all, both friends and foes. [...] 53, Egil's Saga
    I must tell you here of some amusing tricks the Comte d'Eu played on us. I had made a sort of house for myself in which my knights and I used to eat, sitting so as to get the light from the door, which, as it happened, faced the Comte d'Eu's quarters. The count, who was a very ingenious fellow, had rigged up a miniature ballistic machine with which he could throw stones into my tent. He would watch us as we were having our meal, adjust his machine to suit the length of our table, and then let fly at us, breaking our pots and glasses.
    - The pranks played on the knight Jean de Joinville, 1249, 7th crusade.

http://imgur.com/a/DMm19
    Quote Originally Posted by Finn View Post
    This is the only forum I visit with any sort of frequency and I'm glad it has provided a home for RTR since its own forum went down in 2007. Hopefully my donation along with others from TWC users will help get the site back to its speedy heyday, which will certainly aid us in our endeavor to produce a full conversion mod Rome2.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast