Thread: How did ca patch squares?

Default How did ca patch squares?

Can anyone see how they addressed making squares impossible to form when in melee? I ask, because then I can take a look at where the code for squares is, and possibly changing it.

The Hedge Knight's Avatar Fierce When Cornered
    Artifex

Default Re: How did ca patch squares?

Hardcoded i believe.

We would need a way to fix that stupid bonus granted as soon as you press the square button, not to revert back to the square formed while engaged.

It's pretty ridicolous how they hard coded important stuff like square and artillery ammos, but there's nothing we can do about it.

The Hedge Knight's Avatar Fierce When Cornered
    Artifex

Its not stupid, its just the only way they could do it.

Quote Originally Posted by Josst View Post
    Its not stupid, its just the only way they could do it.
    Are you kidding?
    They can do whatever they like. They fixed square while engaged becuase people complained, but they forgot to fix the bonus granted immediately. These two fixes were announced way before NTW release because they first knew it was stupid like square behaved in Empire.

I don't think its hard coded - I think its in land_battles_orders_scripts, possibly under land_hud_special_ability_button.luac. Since it is scripted, like the other scripts, surely its possibly to add a 10 second delay until the bonus is implemented. Just need a way to open the .luac files

Primergy's Avatar Protector of the Union

Quote Originally Posted by squatlover View Post
    I don't think its hard coded - I think its in land_battles_orders_scripts, possibly under land_hud_special_ability_button.luac. Since it is scripted, like the other scripts, surely its possibly to add a 10 second delay until the bonus is implemented. Just need a way to open the .luac files
    Well you can ask Alpaca, he wrote some time ago a decompiler for the UI, but it was a bit buggy, so he didnt released it to the puplic.

Besides that, i dont think that its definied in those scripts what the button does exactly, eg unit behaviour in a formation.
    Opened it with notepad and it looked more like that in those scripts its defined which tga's are shown, perhaps also in which case those buttons are greyed out.

But well, it could be that there is also a line, which says which scripts of the hardcoded parts are loaded, when pressing this button, so perhaps it could be possible to load instead a selfwritten lua- script- file.
    If this is the case, you would also have to know which LUA-commands are supportet by Empire.
    Because LUA itself is powerful, someone on the crymod forum (modding community for Crysis) puplished a completly custom Flight-Physic simulation for Aircrafts, with animationes add, completly written in LUA.