Page 12 of 15 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 LastLast

Thread: African Conquest: Total War [Update: Menu Preview]

Default Unit Preview 2

Unit Preview 2

German Southwest Colonial State Police (around 1890)
    Because of German Southwest Africa's vast size the State Police was a mounted force which would, however, invariably dismount to fight. Although not shown here, both variants are included with the mounted unit being in patrol size. Unit includes soldier models and officers so far.
    The soldiers are (perhaps wrongly) equipped with 8mm Mauser model 88 bolt action rifles and bayonets. Officers carry a (still dysfunctional) 10,6 mm Reichsrevoler and sabres. For more info read my blog.
    German Southwest Colonial State Police (front view)

German Southwest Colonial State Police (rear view)

German Southwest Colonial State Police (side view)

Zulu Warriors
    The Zulu army consisted of armies, corps, regiments (ibuthos) and companies (mavingos). The models are basically revamped vanilla native americans with new faces. As was customary at the time they don't wear the elaborate ceremonial dress in battle. The shield patterns reflect roughly seniority with black representing the most experienced units. That said, many units were mixed in that regard or didn't adhere to that rule at all. Weapons were the traditional assegai (a short thrusting spear), the knokberrie (a club) and some dated rifles and muskets. For more info read my blog.
    Zulu Warriors (front view)

Zulu Warriors (rear view)
    Last edited by Isandlwana; February 09, 2012 at 03:11 PM.

Creator of Isandlwana 1879 - The Thin Red Line for M2TW (Kingdoms) & Contributor to African Conquest:Total War

Default Re: African Conquest: Total War [Update: Menu Preview]

uuuuugghhhuuuuuuuggghhhhh i need to change my pants thats epic!!!

Radboud's Avatar Bugger
    Artifex

Quote Originally Posted by Isandlwana View Post
    Radboud,
    Did you downsize the map a bit actually? I felt my version was a tad too big to be playable.

anyways, looks great
    Actually your map was perfectly sized imo, I didn't change it at all . I don't remember very well but I think I only restricted the radar view of the map which might have made you think it was resized .

Thanks guys for being supportive .

Quote Originally Posted by Radboud View Post
    Actually your map was perfectly sized imo, I didn't change it at all .
    Uh ok. I was wondering because Calvinia and Cape Town looked closer to each other than I remembered. But yeah, your improved radar map got me fooled, possibly.
    And I guess it's not too big when we make more turns (like twelve maybe) per year. For now some of the Cape provinces (that were roadwise quite developed) take a mounted unit almost a year to cross.
    I feel also that I gave some regions way too much farmland, but this can easily be changed. Then is the differences in height. I didn't know how to do it better, then, but some of the mountains look sooo steep.

Creator of Isandlwana 1879 - The Thin Red Line for M2TW (Kingdoms) & Contributor to African Conquest:Total War

Radboud's Avatar Bugger
    Artifex

I will drastically change the heights, I was wondering about the units and which barracks levels should recruit certain units.

I will drastically change the heights, I was wondering about the units and which barracks levels should recruit certain units.
    Yes, that would be great. I was thinking about the recruitment settings as well. I had some ideas, but must dig them up, first.

Default Unit preview 3

Unit preview 3

British: Newcastle Mounted Rifles
    This was one of the many colonial units founded by settlers for protection in the Colony of Natal. This wasn't entirely voluntary but encouraged and supported by the Natal government which was unable to afford a militia system on its own.
    The Newcastle Mounted Rifles were created in 1875 and then commanded by Capt. Osborne. The about 50 men strong unit was primarily equipped with Swinburn-Henry carbines. As a sidearm the men would carry a revolver, which however isn't implemented yet. For more info read my blog.
    Newcastle Mounted Rifles (Front View)

Newcastle Mounted Rifles (Back view)

Newcastle Mounted Rifles (Side View)

British: Royal Artillery Crew
    Rocket troughs, artillery and gatling guns were mostly operated by the Royal Artillery Corps and basically organised in brigades, batteries and sections. Not being combat troops the men were equipped with revolvers and sabres and in theory two Martini-Henry carbines per gun crew. In a hand-to-hand combat they would fight with everything available.
    The units shown here has insignia of the 5th Brigade. For more info read my blog.
    Royal Artillery Crew (Front View)

Royal Artillery Crew (Back View)

Unit Info Cards
    The info card pictures of the units mentioned so far (Unit Previews 1 to 3).

ZULU: Warrios (rifle) --------BRIT: Newcastle Mounted Rifles (dismounted) --------ZULU: Warrios --------BRIT: Regular Infantry --------GER: Colonial State Police (dismounted) --------BRIT: Royal Artillery Crew (Variant 1)
    Unit Info Cards (Prewiew 1 to 3)
    Last edited by Isandlwana; February 09, 2012 at 03:23 PM.

Mhaedros's Avatar Brave Heart Tegan
    Citizen

Blog Entries

NICE units
    Hi I'm a part of TWC's content team! Below are some current links, and if you are curious about what it is Content does, feel free to ask me or one of my Brethren in Blue

Check out the latest Content News!
    Gamer's Gazette Issue XIV - New issue April 16th 2017

Radboud's Avatar Bugger
    Artifex

Quote Originally Posted by Isandlwana View Post
    Yes, that would be great. I was thinking about the recruitment settings as well. I had some ideas, but must dig them up, first.
    K, in the meantime I'll upload the new modfolder.

King William the Conqueror's Avatar Campidoctor

Wow. Nicely done.
    Mod Leader of Kingdoms and Empires
    Former Medieval II Blitz Record Holder (106 regions in 11 turns)

Check out my Youtube Channel: CosmicConqueror
    Proud Member of TWC since 2011!

definitly one of my favourite developement Mods.
    I like colonial things ^^
    Leader of Colonialism Total War
    Thread with first Preview
    First Youtube Trailer

Radboud's Avatar Bugger
    Artifex

I'm glad we're progressing quite well since it was standing still before that.

Default Unit preview 4

Unit preview 4

British: Natal Mounted Police
    The Natal Mounted Police (NMP) was a fulltime police force in the British colony of Natal which was created, mainly from recruits from England, after the Langalibalele Rebellion in 1873 by Major Dartnell on behalf of the Natal government. The uniforms probably resembled those of all British Southafrican colonial police forces. The force mustered well below 200 men at its peak.
    The unit includes a trooper and a bugler model. The troopers were equipped with breech-loading single-shot calibre .577 Snider carbines. For more info read my blog.

Natal Mounted Police - Front View 1

Natal Mounted Police - Front View 2

Natal Mounted Police - Back View

Natal Mounted Police - Side View

British: Natal Native Contingent Company
    Prior to the planned invasion of the Zulu nation in 1879 a number of native auxilliary troops were mustered. The biggest part was made up of the Natal Native Contingent (NNC) with three infantry regiments where each had 2000-3000 soldiers organized in 2-3 battalions (20-30 companies). These troops were in general fresh recruits, poorly trained, led and equipped. Almost only the European officers and non-commisioned officers (NCOs) in these units had firearms and at times the officers didn't even speak the language of their subordinates. As not enough European quality personnel for these troops could be found a lot of less than desirable officers and NCO's were accepted which in turn deterriorated the quality of these troops even more.
    The only uniform piece was a red strip of clothing around the head which served the main purpose of helping the British to differentiate their men from their Zulu counterparts.
    The men carried traditional weapons, like clubs, shields and assagai-spears with them.

The pictures show a further unit which is solely made up of riflemen. When several NNC companies operated together it was not unusual to put the men with rifles (normally the black NCO's) in the front ranks. But due to fears of the Natal government only one in ten of the black auxilliaries in a native company was equipped with a rifle and five rounds of ammunition. The rifles were usually five Martini-Henry rifles and five obsolete Enfield percussion rifles.
    The unit includes a soldier and a European officer model. For more info read my blog.

Natal Native Contingent Company - Front View

Natal Native Contingent Company - Back View

Natal Native Contingent Company - Side View

Quote Originally Posted by nessj999 View Post
    definitly one of my favourite developement Mods.
    I like colonial things ^^
    thanks the colonial era is definitely an area that needs more attention here
    Last edited by Isandlwana; February 09, 2012 at 03:24 PM.

Radboud's Avatar Bugger
    Artifex

I hope Lebre can tell us how many barracks levels the brits will have so we can decide which level can recruit which units.

This is such a brillaint mod that I have just discovered  Focusing on such brief period, but so interesting makes this mod even better. The units are also wonderfully done and some of the textures are just amazingly done. I will read the whole thread looking for more images and previews, and I will surely enjoy all.
    Good luck with the project 
    Ps:You are cloning yourself Rad  4 mods at the same time...

And a link to my Deviantart's account.

Radboud's Avatar Bugger
    Artifex

Lolz, which is why progress is slow for each project I work on .

Default Unit Preview 5: German Schutztruppe

Unit preview 5

German: Schutztruppe (around 1891)
    Due to raising native unrest and resistance to the German occupation in Southwest Africa the colony would from about 1891 on additionally be controlled by a military force called Schutztruppe (protection force). This force developed partly out of the colonial police force, which it was to relieve, but mainly consisted of soldiers transferred from the German Army and especially the cavalry branch.
    Since the Schutztruppe was a mounted force which, however, would fight dismounted the unit will be available as a dismounted unit in company size and as a mounted unit in patrol size. Unit includes soldier models, a flag bearer, bugler and officer model.
    The soldiers were equipped with 8mm Mauser model bolt action rifles or carbines and bayonets. Officers carry a (still dysfunctional) 10,6 mm Reichsrevoler and sabres. For more info read my blog.

Schutztruppe (~1891) - Front view

Schutztruppe (~1891) - Back view

Schutztruppe (~1891) - Back/Side view

sorry, that I have no real close-ups of the soldiers but my pc is old and has a nasty habit of crashing. Uniform details can be seen in the post above showing the german colonial police troopers.

Quote Originally Posted by Oznerol View Post
    This is such a brillaint mod that I have just discovered  Focusing on such brief period, but so interesting makes this mod even better. The units are also wonderfully done and some of the textures are just amazingly done. I will read the whole thread looking for more images and previews, and I will surely enjoy all.
    thanks mate! Most of the textures are made with the help of photographies of surviving uniforms

@Radboud
    I know that feel
    Last edited by Isandlwana; February 24, 2012 at 01:45 PM.

cedric37's Avatar is back on track

They look fantastic! Well done!

Lolz, which is why progress is slow for each project I work on .
    Well at least in one project (cough, cough, LA) we will surely do a push, we just have to wait.
    I love that all the uniforms are wonderfully acurate, fantastic previews. Im just waiting a preview with portraits (Surely you have a lot of fotographies as material), traits and all that stuff.
    And what have you planned about settlements? I don't think the semi-medievalish fit well the mod, just an opinion maybe you have reserved it for a latter release.

And a link to my Deviantart's account.

Quote Originally Posted by Oznerol View Post
    I love that all the uniforms are wonderfully acurate, fantastic previews. Im just waiting a preview with portraits (Surely you have a lot of fotographies as material), traits and all that stuff.
    And what have you planned about settlements? I don't think the semi-medievalish fit well the mod, just an opinion maybe you have reserved it for a latter release.
    Thanks again and yes, there's a lot of photographs for portraits to be found, except for the Portuguese, strangely. That said, I have only made this proposal for some captain portraits so far.

And well, the medieval settlements are certainly a problem and I can hardly imagine that the mod will be released without at least some work here. (thats actually the reason why my isandlwana mod is a battle map only mod)
    In that regard I've only made this German fort model so far but it's not implemented in the game, yet, and certainly needs some texturing.

German Fort at Okahandja

@cedric
    thanks mate!
    Last edited by Isandlwana; February 24, 2012 at 02:34 PM.

Page 12 of 15 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 LastLast