Page 7 of 175 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516173257107 ... LastLast

Thread: Suggestions

Default Re: What Factions Would You Like to See in v1.0

Quote Originally Posted by History_Buff View Post
    or Jaimie Lannister have that title at the start and one or both serving as members of Joffrey's faction
    At the start of the mod, Jaimie fight for his family (Battle in the Whispering Woods), so i guess it would not be wise, to make him a Geoffrey general.

Quote Originally Posted by TXTwilight View Post
    At the start of the mod, Jaimie fight for his family (Battle in the Whispering Woods), so i guess it would not be wise, to make him a Geoffrey general.
    Here's what I understood as being Jaime Lannister's role in (The early stages of) the War of the Five Kings:

He is a member of the Kingsguard. Robb Stark has not only declared war on House Lannister, but on the Iron Throne as well (He wants to kick the Lannisters out of the Riverlands and rescue his father from King's Landing). So, Tywin Lannister, who pretty much rules King's Landing after Ned's death, orders Kingsguard knight Ser Jaime Lannister to lead one of the (Allied) armies of House Lannister into battle against this enemy of the Iron Throne. So, although Jaime is fighting for House Lannister and leading Lannister men, he is doing so under the command of the Iron Throne.

In other words, Jaime would probably be a member of King Joffrey's faction in the game if you really wanted it to work realistically, but it would then be impossible for him to lead troops from another faction.

History_Buff's Avatar Civis

Quote Originally Posted by peanut8 View Post
    it would then be impossible for him to lead troops from another faction.
    It would be sweet if that could be made possible, but it is almost certainly impossible. To compensate, however, he could be leading mercenary army comprised of Westermen. In other words, if it is possible to have Lannister units attached to Joffrey's side, he could be provided with a unique army. If you could give Joffrey access to certain Lannister units, and then make them unrecruitable, Jaimie could lead a Lannister army under the command of the Iron Throne. Of course this is likely impossible, so you could make him one of Joffrey's generals who is commanding an army of Westermen mercenary at the start

Hey guys, busy at the moment but I can answer a few questions.

1) Werthead is 100% correct. Both me and Harpsichord are both in exams. I'm not quite sure what happened to Darkstar, but he hasn't contacted me back for a while.

Cazac: we had ideas for the BwB at a point, which may be implemented. But probably not in the fashion that you imagined.

History_Buff: we are working on mercenaries (using mercenaries to denote the fact that we are planning to do it when the team sticks back together).

On Jaime Lannister, he is going to remain as he appears. On the subject of the Kingsguard, we've given this some thought. There are several schools of thought on this subject. He could be a general, but as pointed out, even 0-star generals are a potent force on the battlefield - if for nothing else then the 2-hp bodyguards they have. As an ancillary, Kingsguard wouldn't be interesting - they'd be merely a faceless, immortal buff applied to a general. However, without better mechanics to implement them, it's hard to get them working. As a single untrainable unit, Kingsguard aren't feasible. They aren't a hard-hitting band of unbeatable heroes, they're some guys who's job it is to stick his head between his king and a sword. Until we can think up some ingenious way of screwing the game's hardcoding, I'm afraid we'd probably have to stick with Kingsguard as ancillaries (although Kingsguard knights, such as Barristan Selmy, The Hound or Jaime might appear as generals).

"Five had been his brothers. Oswell Whent and Jon Darry. Lewyn Martell, a prince of Dorne. The White Bull, Gerold Hightower. Ser Arthur Dayne, Sword of the Morning. And beside them, crowned in mist and grief with his long hair streaming behind him, rode Rhaegar Targaryen, Prince of Dragonstone and rightful heir to the Iron Throne."

What about my idea of making Barristan Selmy (whom I believe would be the Lord Commander at the time of mod's start) have the title Lord Commander of the Kingsguard. When he inevitably dies of old age at some point, you should then be able to appoint someone else to that position. The requirements should be that their faction support's Joffrey's claim. This would mean that any general from yours or your allies faction could get the title. On that topic, why not give all factions who can declare themselves King the ability to appoint a Lord Commander of the Kingsguard and create a Kingsguard unit

Quote Originally Posted by stormbringer951 View Post
    I'm not quite sure what happened to Darkstar, but he hasn't contacted me back for a while.
    I hope he is not just disappered
    Good Luck with your exams.
    I just started modding myself and created a new faction and a new scenario. Maybe I can show some pics in a few weeks

History_Buff: we start the campaign after Ned's execution - with Barristan Selmy having already disappeared. Don't worry though, if we ever get round to finishing this, you'll see him again under the Targ banner.

TXTwilight: He's still around. He was on the forums yesterday at least.

"Five had been his brothers. Oswell Whent and Jon Darry. Lewyn Martell, a prince of Dorne. The White Bull, Gerold Hightower. Ser Arthur Dayne, Sword of the Morning. And beside them, crowned in mist and grief with his long hair streaming behind him, rode Rhaegar Targaryen, Prince of Dragonstone and rightful heir to the Iron Throne."

I am pretty sure that Selmy was dismissed after Ned Stark's execution, but I may be wrong

Quote Originally Posted by Cazac View Post
    I seem to remember the last book came out a few weeks before christmas two years ago, i was hoping Martin's marketing crew would issue a similar strategy but as far as i've seen and heard so far, Martin has yet to finish ADWD. Has there been any news as to when the pilot of the series might be aired?
    The last book actually came out in October 2005, four years ago. The fifth book is looking most likely to come out in the summer of 2010, but as per usual we have to wait for some word from GRRM on the subject.

The TV series, if picked up, will most likely air in the spring of 2011. The pilot will not be aired separately to the rest of the series.

Banfred's Avatar Miles

When I was playing as the Solanki Rajputs for Broken Crescent yesterday, I noticed how the King had a different bodyguard than the other FMs and generals. If my memory is correct, then I was right and it would be very possible to have Joffery (or Tommen, if he bites the dust) only have a group of 7 white caped Kingsguard units in his bodyguard while someone like Sandor and Prince Tommen will have bodyguards bearing sigils from various houses of the Crownlands.
    Do you play Morrowind? Do you like old castles, ferocious hairy beasts, expansive wintry forests, and killing dark elves?

Then check out Skyrim: Home of the Nords! A mod for TES III: Morrowind.

That would mean he would only have seven bodyguards. That would effectively make him useless as a unit in battle because it would be much to easy to kill him. dHHR has this problem and it gets extremely annoying because your generals seem to die every left and right
    if you do not personally command them and keep them out of the fray

Cazac's Avatar Tiro

I read on amazon that DWD will be released for them in september 2010 so the summer prognosis is a tad optimistic, but hey, hopefully we'll have something to do until they appear if these guys manage to end their exams well and realease 1.0 version

First I read it should come out on the 30. october this year
    But letīs hope we can read it before the pilot is aired.

A unit of bodyguards with 7 soldiers must be realy strong. Is it possible for bodyguards to make one skin just like the kingsguard, so it will appear in a unit only 7 times? Im not that far with skinning

Their attack and defense would have to be extremely high to prevent mass dying. Their numbers WILL start to get the better of them in battle against larger units otherwise

eatme's Avatar Senator

Quote Originally Posted by History_Buff View Post
    That would mean he would only have seven bodyguards. That would effectively make him useless as a unit in battle because it would be much to easy to kill him.
    If such feature is possible to implement, may be rake up their hps..

dHHR has this problem and it gets extremely annoying because your generals seem to die every left and right
    if you do not personally command them and keep them out of the fray
    Never had that much of a problem myself -) even with regular hps they do fine as all other heavy cavalry.

Cazac's Avatar Tiro

Yeah they'd need to be excellent in both defending and attacking, but that idea is the one which would make things very interesting and a bit un-stereotyped for most medieval fans

Cazac's Avatar Tiro

I just re-read this thread and wanted to say a few things.

For the Factions

The Boltons
    have merely took profit from a game of circumstance, if you made this game based on the early history of Martin's books they should remain the same, Bolton marched with Robb as his bannerman and i think the situation should stay as it is, Bolton should not become a house in its own right in the game, unlike the other major houses, they're not even properly presented in the apendixes of the books, and i believe they should stay the way Martin intended them to stay.

The Frey as most of you have already concluded, they should be individually marked, huge house, superb strategic position and enough strength to withstand assaults on their own.

The Florents again major house, each branch play a powerful role in the book for both Stannis and Renly, so again a house one might consider as great candidates to be individualized

Hightower - maybe not too focused upon in the beginning yet the Hightowers are amongst the oldest and prodest in Westeros and they have Oldtown, which is, if i am not mistaking, the biggest city, largest port and the citatel breeding maesters for houses great and small

Dondarrion - not a big house, yet Beric plays a very important role in this stage in history, he has many capable people in his service, although not very powerful as house per se, maybe an unplayable faction similar to the rebels would suit.

In terms of Generals

If Gregor features as a general, i think Amory Lorch and Vargo Hoat should be included in the Lannister faction, they've all ruled Harrenhall one way or the other and there's more than enough information on all of them to go around

Has there been any news of the female general problem solving? Maege and Dacey Mormont, the Sand Snakes, Lysa Tully and maybe others i have missed would have a role to play here.

Petyr Baelish
    - lowborn true enough yet he is a lord, he's in the high council, is granted Harrenhall for his service and later on goes to rule the Vale of Arryn, even if he is not the perfect war commander, he may be included as ageneral with more aptitudes toward ruling a city such as 50% more income, less unrest or something of the like

Barristan Selmy - the Iron Throne boasts such a great knight and he is invisible in this version of the game, but i think you already had an intent of putting him in.

Ser Davos and Saladoor Saan should serve Stannis who is rather lonely on his isle, he needs at elast a couple of generals to help out doesn't he?

Also wildlings, mountain clans from the vale of Arryn and maybe some peoples from the east may invade.

I hope i haven't expanded this for too long, but i'm really eager for the new version of the game i must say god speed lads

I agree with you on the Boltons, they are not important enough. Rose simply played both sides leading up to the Red Wedding, believing no matter what, he would come down on the winning side and ensure his houses survival. If it was discovered, he could claim he had no knowledge of it and he would probably make sure their was little proof of his involvement. The Freys should also be a faction, they would have to play a delicate balancing act between three great houses to ensure they do not get squashed, so they should be programmed to attack only when they sense weakness in one of their neighbors if it is possible to implement this. I do not know if the Hightowers and the Florents could be implemented, as the vassal system is not that good in this game. On the plus side, it would weaken the Tyrells who tend to become a monster in this mod, crushing Dorne in most every game I have seen. Beric and his men should be represented as a large Rebel army that should be programmed to attack any force smaller then itself. Also, do not forget that Vargo Hoat is a mercenary and not in the service of House Lannister exclusively. He and his men might be represented, if possible as mercenary troops. I think you should try to program Vargo Hoat in as a mercenary general only one faction can hire, if that is possible. I do agree that the women should be included, but the "boy named Sue" issue of having men have girl names through putting that name into the random general name pool has not been solved and I do not think they intend to try to solve it. Personally, I think having Petyr as an advisor is the best solution, as that is essentially what he is through most of the books.. You might mod in an event that has him spawn as a general for the Arryns at some point though to simulate him being made Protector of the Vale. I do think Barristan should be a general, but he may have already left the service of the Crown by the time the game starts. If he has not, there should be an event that makes him leave. Ser Davos and Salladoor Saan should not be added because they are more Admirals then Generals

Cazac's Avatar Tiro

Well I do agree on the fact that Tyrrels are a bit too powerful in this stage of the game, and i deem that at elast one of Florents or Hightower should be included, my money would be on Hightower, much more important overall in the history of westeros.

I really like the Beric idea, though i must admit i would enjoy seeing part of his forces commanded by Thoros

Hoat is indeed a mercenary but at this stage of the game he is under Lannister leadership (similarto the Boltons, even if he loses loyalty later, he still is under Lannister rule now and the game should be focused on the history of its beginning according to the books), maybe make him a general with lower loyalty and all dread, either this or make him recruitable for a whole bunch of golden dragons, that way only the Lannister will afford them in riverland regions.

Petyr has a slow ascent to power, after he is named lord of Harrenhal he becomes protector of the Vale after Lisa's death. Also as lord of Harrenhal, he becomes lord paramount of the riverlands, thus Frey does not become the paramount after the fall of the Tullys but they too answer to Harrenhal, trust me i have recently re-read the books, and i'm up to date , i don't know what Martin has in store for him in the books to come but i do know he's one of his favorite characters and he may spun some surprises along the way, as a simple adviser i feel that somehow his 'mojo' is dimmed in the game

Barristan is still in their service when the game begins, make note he does not leave, he should serve for life, he was forced to leave service by Cersei so i don't think an event might trigger his departure from the king's service. Also I think Tyrion should be 'upgraded' significantly, take into account he was part of Tywin's van at the river battle against Bolton, then lead a sortie outside the gates of king's landing against stannis, he conjured up the chain, the wildfire and so on, he convinced the mountain clans to join him, he's an excellent strategist and one of the most cunning characters in the game, yet he is so poorly represented in attributes in this game, not even worth playing with, i think this should be remedied.

Agreed on Salador but Davos is Stannis' confidant, he later becomes his hand, all throughout the books he is the one to deliver Stannis' wroth, he's marginalized as a simple adviser or a character trait for Stannis,just a thought

You are right about Petyr Baelish slowly rising to power, but he started out as a simple advisor. If Joffrey or the Lannisters take Harrenhal, he should then appear as a general with the title Lord of Harrenhal via an event. There should then be some kind of event, if possible, where he becomes Protector of the Vale, possibly if you ally with the Vale after he has appeared as a general. I personally hate the man, as you never really know what his angle is or whose side he is really on. I also believe he has his sights set on the throne. I believe he intends to join the ranks of people that want to use Daenarys for their own personal ambitions.

I have never played as Joffrey or the Lannisters, as I personally do not like either so do not have plans for playing as them, but I have seen how poor Tyrions attributes are and I believe he should be beefed up a bit. He is personally one of my favorite characters because he is not like the rest of his family and is often underestimated.
    Last edited by History_Buff; January 24, 2010 at 08:54 AM.