Page 5 of 175 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314153055105 ... LastLast

Thread: Suggestions

Default Re: What Factions Would You Like to See in v1.0

I think there's a translation error here.

"Five had been his brothers. Oswell Whent and Jon Darry. Lewyn Martell, a prince of Dorne. The White Bull, Gerold Hightower. Ser Arthur Dayne, Sword of the Morning. And beside them, crowned in mist and grief with his long hair streaming behind him, rode Rhaegar Targaryen, Prince of Dragonstone and rightful heir to the Iron Throne."

History_Buff's Avatar Civis

I think it is a good idea to create a Nights watch unplayable and Wildling playable faction. All factions should be able to send men to the Nights Watch via prisoners and and responding to their requests. and if you send enough maybe they throw their support to you and you gain control over them. They should also have a faction with just generals and then either have the best general take over command or somehow work the election in. You could also make them playable as it is completely possible to have them raise enough men through donations and if you are a skilled commander, take the fight to the Wildlings north of the wall and take the areas north of the wall. After you control everything north of the wall, you could then make it possible for them to recruit and they would behave like a normal faction and allow you to even possibly become a new Nights King

I don't think that the Nightswatch would be a good playable faction. That doesn't sound "right" to somebody who red the books and knows the background. They're just guards, no kingdom.

The fact, that the nighwatch is neutral over the houses in westeros and does not involved into the 5 kings war (not yet), makes them unplayble in a great campaign. But there many peoples outside who would really like to play as the Lord Commander, the team can maybe make a smal campaign after V1.0 is finaly released. I know this was often discused, but I think it could be a great fun, when the team had the time and the manpower

The Nights watch being playable was just an idea, I agree it does not make much sense with the books, but it would be a good challenge for a player. making it so you can gain control of their castles if you send them enough support and get them to declare for you, however, would be a good idea, because it would give players like Renly and Stannis the opportunity to gain a foothold in the north and open a second front. They would then have to worry about wildlings and Starks as well as Lannisters and Martells, making it a big risk and creating a bigger challenge. It also would make semi sense with the books because while Stannis does not control the Nights Watch, he has substantial influence with them and might be trying to forge them into a new army and it would give Stannis sorely needed men and allow him to take the course of the book and go north. On an unrelated note, maybe Stannis should be given the option to take his men north to the wall via a message if he is losing in the south. I have also read three of the books and am working on the fourth, and know a good deal of the background as well and the story of the Nights King
    Last edited by History_Buff; October 05, 2009 at 09:42 AM.

But Stannis only wantīs to fight against the "Others", because Melissandre told him to do and i donīt want to play a mod, where the nightwatch declare for one side.

maybe Stannis should be given the option to take his men north to the wall via a message if he is losing in the south.
    Sounds good

Have fun with the fourth book, even if its not so good, as the others.

Fighting the Others is his stated reason, who is to say that he does not have ulterior motives like putting the Night's Watch in his debt as well as the realm and/or leveraging them into a position where they have no choice but to support him. Stannis pretty much called himself an atheist in A Clash of Kings and I believe he is just using the Rhilor faith and Melisandre because they are useful and prop him up as a promised hero, which strokes his ego and also paints him in a more positive light in the eyes of the common people and I will say again that the Nights Watch declaring for someone might not be a good idea, but it seemed like a good way to encourage people to support them because of the obvious reward. For example, If I am playing as Renly and I get a plea for help from the Night's Watch, what reason do I have to send them support, If the Wildlings break through it will not affect me, but if I could gain control of them, then I have a much better reason to send them all the support I can. I am not a modder, so I do not know much about making mods, but it seemed like a good idea when I wrote it
    Last edited by History_Buff; October 05, 2009 at 03:15 PM.

But it also sad, that the Red God (except his priest Thoros and teh red Lady) have no power in Westeros and only few people follow this faith.
    The script to send materials to the nightwatch doesnīt make any sence now, but maybe we have in 1.0 a big army spawning in the north and conquered all westeros, so it would be intelligent to send some people north.

I personally don't think that the Night's Watch should be included as a faction, if just because of the fact that they can't recruit. Their only units are volunteers or criminals donated to them. It would be strange if all of a sudden the castles of the Night's Watch began mass-producing soldiers and knights with which to invade... well, anything. Incorporating a Wildling horde which breaks through the Wall if the Night's Watch doesn't get enough support wouldn't be such a bad idea, but I'm kind of against it because I would rather have the war focus on the Seven Kingdoms, and no external threats such as Dany or the Others. They can be dealt with once the War of the Five Kings is over.

As for Stannis, he's already declared that what he wants from the Night's Watch is the land immediately south of the Wall, so that he can set up his base for resuming his fight against his enemies. Additionally, making himself into R'hllor's paladin only turned a lot of the population of Westeros, who believe in the Seven and not in R'hllor, against him.

many of the people did turn against him, but I do not think he believed that would happen at the time, he is so caught up in the fact that the throne is rightfully his that he cannot see the big picture or else refuses to see it. About the Night's watch script, it does make sense, especially if they are their own faction, and the consequence for not supporting them should be, as Peanut8 said, a massive Wildling Horde crossing the wall, I also would, as I stated before, like the opportunity to possibly play as the Wildlings and rampage across Westeros.
    Last edited by History_Buff; October 05, 2009 at 05:40 PM.

I think that the sudden appearance of a full-faction, playable Wildling horde in the North (With a settlements to recruit new units) would be a destabilizing factor in the war, and that it would be unfair towards the Starks and their allies.

On the other hand, I would very much enjoy a scripted appearance of several non-playable Wildling units, having breached through the Wall and attacking my Stark lands as a consequence for my not supplying the Wall with men and funds.

Why don't you make the Starks, or whoever controls the North at the time be given the option to let the Wildlings settle on their lands, the acceptance of which reduces order and increases the chance of revolts in that settlement that could lead to an independent Wildling faction appearing south of the wall, but gives you powerful Wildling units that would now be properly equipped because you have provided them with weapons. Also, I never said the Wildlings should START with any settlements, I believe they should start as a playable horde with crappy units but with huge numbers and only be able to recruit more if they breach the wall and gain control of castles in the North. That would also allow them to recruit quality units rather then crappy units
    Last edited by History_Buff; October 05, 2009 at 05:41 PM.

Since all the Starks refused the idea to settle wildlings behind the Wall and it hasnīt happened yet, I donīt think it will appear in this mod. If Mr. Martin include this in the books, then it have a good chance.

BTW: The Drowned God kicks all the others in the ass

Methinks that a God that can bring you back to life six times is pretty damn awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by peanut8 View Post
    Methinks that a God that can bring you back to life six times is pretty damn awesome.
    Have to agree with you there, though losing your memories is a pretty stiff price

Quote Originally Posted by History_Buff View Post
    Have to agree with you there, though losing your memories is a pretty stiff price
    Sure, but what would be a fair price for being resurrected?

If that is the price, you can count me out because you are essentially dead anyway

"Are you my mother Theoes?"
    "No beric, i'm not, stop asking."

Banfred's Avatar Miles

I don't know about factions, but I'd love to see the Gold Cloaks as an AOR unit, only recruitable in KL by anyone who holds it.
    Do you play Morrowind? Do you like old castles, ferocious hairy beasts, expansive wintry forests, and killing dark elves?

Then check out Skyrim: Home of the Nords! A mod for TES III: Morrowind.

This looks too, too good!

@History_Buff - My impression of Stannis was one who would never do anything underhanded. Melisandre on the other hand...