Page 1 of 9 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Your face in DotS: A Request for Community Assistance

Default Your face in DotS: A Request for Community Assistance

So I know some of me of you guys have already asked if you could be a model for one of the faces of my units, but I figured I’d put a request out to anyone else who might be interested because it would be a big help and would keep me from having to harass people on the street.

What I would need:
    A high resolution image of your face (or a friend or family member if they give permission for me to use it). A profile pic is very helpful as well, but not absolutely necessary. The pictures have to be taken level with the face exactly from the front or exactly the side. It is also best if they are in neutral light which means outdoors between 9:00 and 15:00 hours. Facial expression should be very neutral. I need the images to be as high of a resolution as possible so please don’t reduce their quality or resize them in any way. Hair should be kept away from the face unless it is particularly medieval. If you are totally clean shaven, it would be helpful to let it grow for a couple of day to give me an idea of your facial hair pattern in case I need to draw a beard on you.

Don’t expect the resulting face to look exactly like you. You’ll be totally recognizable but keep in mind that a 2D picture can’t just be pasted on a 3D model so I have to work with it a lot (I actually use the same technique that was used to create the face textures for Assassin’s Creed but I don’t get paid for it ). If you are really young, I might make you older. If you have a little extra weight on you, I might make you a little thinner in the face so you’ll look more soldier-like and of course I’ll add appropriate medieval hair styles in some cases.

Here’s an example of a head model and the two pictures I used to create it so you can get an idea of the expected result and see what I need image-wise:
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    With this guy I didn't try too hard to make him look like the model since I had a different look in mind, but I think you can still see the resemblance.

You can post images in the thread or PM me if you want to be more anonymous, but again make sure to not reduce the quality if you upload them to a hosting site. Make sure to let me know your ethnic heritage so I know what units to use you for. Keep in mind that I may use face for units in other mods that I’m working on as well (BC & TGC at the moment). If you have a problem with that let me know ahead of time to avoid any misunderstanding.
    Last edited by sumskilz; June 28, 2010 at 05:10 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Enros View Post
    You don't seem to be familiar with how the burden of proof works in when discussing social justice. It's not like science where it lies on the one making the claim. If someone claims to be oppressed, they don't have to prove it.

Copperknickers II's Avatar quaeri, si sapis
    Citizen

Default Re: Your face in DotS: A Request for Community Assistance

I'd offer myself, but i'm not very historically accurate given that i'm mixed race
    A new mobile phone tower went up in a town in the USA, and the local newspaper asked a number of people what they thought of it. Some said they noticed their cellphone reception was better. Some said they noticed the tower was affecting their health.

A local administrator was asked to comment. He nodded sagely, and said simply: "Wow. And think about how much more pronounced these effects will be once the tower is actually operational."

Quote Originally Posted by Copperknickers II View Post
    I'd offer myself, but i'm not very historically accurate given that i'm mixed race
    Ditto although I can pass for a lot of things.

Senator

hmm, i would like to see my face for your awesome nubian units, though me and facial hair apparently don't get along as i unable to grow any. but ill post a front and side pic real soon, cool project! always great to get the community involved in some way.

MonkeyLancer's Avatar Foederatus

I have a definite tendency to make idiotic faces if someone takes my picture, as these bandanna wearing pictures induced by drunkenness indicate, but finding profile pictures was easy as I'm unaware of said pictures are being taken.

I realize my sideburns are less than medieval but I'd be willing to have an excuse to grow in a beard if given a couple weeks, and refrain from face making and get my girlfriend to take my mugshots assuming you'd be open to the idea?

Subuatai de Bodemloze's Avatar No rest for the wicked
    50 degrees, 26.2 minutes North, 119 degrees, 12.4 minutes West

Funny thing is Sum is that I suggested this verything bout 2 years ago but for the family trees.

Quote Originally Posted by Copperknickers II View Post
    Well mixed race would be cool for some units like Turcopoles, but Irish/Bangladeshi.

Quote Originally Posted by Space_Ed View Post
    Ditto although I can pass for a lot of things.
    I'll say, even a chemist.

Quote Originally Posted by Saladin View Post
    hmm, i would like to see my face for your awesome nubian units, though me and facial hair apparently don't get along as i unable to grow any. but ill post a front and side pic real soon, cool project! always great to get the community involved in some way.
    Cool man, I'm also going to make some Malian units that I think you have a good look for and the Almoravid Hashim Guard.

Quote Originally Posted by MonkeyLancer View Post
    I have a definite tendency to make idiotic faces if someone takes my picture, as these bandanna wearing pictures induced by drunkenness indicate, but finding profile pictures was easy as I'm unaware of said pictures are being taken.

I realize my sideburns are less than medieval but I'd be willing to have an excuse to grow in a beard if given a couple weeks, and refrain from face making and get my girlfriend to take my mugshots assuming you'd be open to the idea?
    Yeah if you've never grown a beard before, I highly recommend it, though it looks like you're almost there.

Quote Originally Posted by Subuatai de Bodemloze View Post
    Funny thing is Sum is that I suggested this verything bout 2 years ago but for the family trees.
    Oh so do you want to be in the Scottish faction then? I'm already done with all the Canadian units.
    Last edited by sumskilz; June 29, 2010 at 12:39 AM.
    You don't seem to be familiar with how the burden of proof works in when discussing social justice. It's not like science where it lies on the one making the claim. If someone claims to be oppressed, they don't have to prove it.

\Vazul's Ghost/'s Avatar Senator

Well if you ever introduce an Australian/Irish/Hungarian faction let me know. Although apparently I'm a spitting image of my great grandfather who was an Irishman from Cork.
    γνῶθι σεαυτόν ~ μηδὲν ἄγαν

Will see if I can get a couple of pictures done soon, can't remember where the digital camera is!. I am mainly English with a little Greek, Spanish, German and Hungarian blood in me too, will be cool to actually put something towards the mods creation and also being in the game .

Do you need some genuine bearded and hairy looking guy?
    Check my profile pic and tell me if you are interested.

In case you are I'll take the picture later tonight

Quote Originally Posted by Leesin View Post
    I am mainly English with a little Greek, Spanish, German and Hungarian blood in me too,
    Doesn't that mean like me you aren't really suitable then?

Quote Originally Posted by MonkeyLancer View Post

Where are you from?

Doesn't that mean like me you aren't really suitable then?
    Somebody who has mixed European heritage can be used for the units that are available to all European factions because I wouldn't want them to look too obviously from one region anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by sumskilz View Post
    Somebody who has mixed European heritage can be used for the units that are available to all European factions because I wouldn't want them to look too obviously from one region anyway.
    So how about part British part Romani gypsy?

I would have thought not considering that means I have genes from India, Persia... Europe... and the gypsys either hadn't left India in 1080 or were still hanging around in Persia then.

"Linguistic and genetic evidence indicates the Romanies originated from the Indian subcontinent, emigrating from India towards the northwest no earlier than the 11th century."- Wikipedia

Me, my mum, my aunt and my cousin really do look quite a lot like these gypsies.
    Last edited by Space_Ed; June 29, 2010 at 07:05 PM.

Ozzmosis's Avatar Domesticus

EBII did a similar project, and I gave my pic there. It would be awesome to have my face in both DOTS and EBII!!
    This is the same pic I posted there, from last year (when I was 14), I put on my warrior face and grew my hair long! I am Turkish by the way, so maybe I could work as a turkish peasant unit or young militia or something!

Maybe you could use the faces people posted there? here is the link, though they're more about Ancient peoples
    http://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showth...uired-For-EBII!

BTW guys, seeing some of your posts, I don't think having pure blood of a particular race really matters. Things were pretty mixed up back then as well, and no one's gonna look at one of your spanish units and say:
    "WTF this mod is crap!! That spanish unit definitely has German ears! WTF were they on when they took that guy's pic??"
    Last edited by Ozzmosis; June 29, 2010 at 07:06 PM.

There you go. Gypo.

Quote Originally Posted by Ozzmosis View Post
    EBII did a similar project, and I gave my pic there. It would be awesome to have my face in both DOTS and EBII!!
    This is the same pic I posted there, from last year (when I was 14), I put on my warrior face and grew my hair long! I am Turkish by the way, so maybe I could work as a turkish peasant unit or young militia or something!
    I'd be happy to include you but I can't really work that pic, check out my original post to see what I'd need.

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?pr...4&id=643301563

Theres my profile pic. You could use it for a Central European/Scandinavian light infantry or something. I just have no facial hair on that pic. I shave commonly. I would say it would be blonde facial air though.
    Democracy is beautiful in theory; in practice it is a fallacy.

http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=514102

MonkeyLancer's Avatar Foederatus

Where are you from?
    Ethnically, I'm from all over the British Isles.

Achilla's Avatar Vicarius

Quote Originally Posted by Ozzmosis View Post

Maybe you could use the faces people posted there? here is the link, though they're more about Ancient peoples
    http://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showth...uired-For-EBII!

BTW guys, seeing some of your posts, I don't think having pure blood of a particular race really matters. Things were pretty mixed up back then as well, and no one's gonna look at one of your spanish units and say:
    "WTF this mod is crap!! That spanish unit definitely has German ears! WTF were they on when they took that guy's pic??"
    Hahaha, lol you Sir certainly look like a frightened militia guy fearing for his life
    Man is but a shadow of his former self, encased in feverish delusions of grandeur.
    Ignorance is your shield, knowledge is your weapon.
    Heart without reason is stupid, reason without heart is blind.

Page 1 of 9 123456789 LastLast