Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best Paradox game for a new guy?

Default Best Paradox game for a new guy?

Hey guys, I've been on the website a couple of times for mods and such, but I never realised you have such a good community here. ^_^ I've been browsing for a few hours and seems its a pretty cool place.

Just a quick question, I've always been tempted to buy a Grand Strategy game from Paradox, but having never played any of their games, I've no idea which one.

The period of history i'm most interested in is probably Roman Era, but I've bad things about Rome EU and very good things and Crusader Kings and EU III.

Just wondering if you can recommend the most complete Grand strategy experience for someone new to the genre =)

Thanks a lot, have a nice day =)

Helikaon.

Default Re: Best Paradox game for a new guy?

HOI2 is probably the easiest. After that I would try EUIII and then maybe Victoria.
    Quote Originally Posted by A.J.P. Taylor
    Peaceful agreement and government by consent are possible only on the basis of ideas common to all parties; and these ideas must spring from habit and from history. Once reason is introduced, every man, every class, every nation becomes a law unto itself; and the only right which reason understands is the right of the stronger. Reason formulates universal principles and is therefore intolerant: there can be only one rational society, one rational nation, ultimately one rational man. Decisions between rival reasons can be made only by force.

Quote Originally Posted by H.L Spieghel
    Is het niet hogelijk te verwonderen, en een recht beklaaglijke zaak, Heren, dat alhoewel onze algemene Dietse taal een onvermengde, sierlijke en verstandelijke spraak is, die zich ook zo wijd als enige talen des werelds verspreidt, en die in haar bevang veel rijken, vorstendommen en landen bevat, welke dagelijks zeer veel kloeke en hooggeleerde verstanden uitleveren, dat ze nochtans zo zwakkelijk opgeholpen en zo weinig met geleerdheid verrijkt en versiert wordt, tot een jammerlijk hinder en nadeel des volks?
    Quote Originally Posted by Miel Cools
    Als ik oud ben wil ik zingen,
    Oud ben maar nog niet verrot.
    Zoals oude bomen zingen,
    Voor Jan Lul of voor hun god.
    Ook een oude boom wil reizen,
    Bij een bries of bij een storm.
    Zelfs al zit zijn kruin vol luizen,
    Zelfs al zit zijn voet vol worm.
    Als ik oud ben wil ik zingen.

Cò am Fear am measg ant-sluaigh,
    A mhaireas buan gu bràth?
    Chan eil sinn uileadh ach air chuart,
    Mar dhìthein buaile fàs,
    Bheir siantannan na bliadhna sìos,
    'S nach tog a' ghrian an àird.

Quote Originally Posted by Jörg Friedrich
    When do I stop being a justified warrior? When I've killed a million bad civilians? When I've killed three million bad civilians? According to a warsimulation by the Pentagon in 1953 the entire area of Russia would've been reduced to ruins with 60 million casualties. All bad Russians. 60 million bad guys. By how many million ''bad'' casualties do I stop being a knight of justice? Isn't that the question those knights must ask themselves? If there's no-one left, and I remain as the only just one,

Then I'm God.
    Quote Originally Posted by Louis Napoleon III, Des Idees Napoleoniennes
    Governments have been established to aid society to overcome the obstacles which impede its march. Their forms have been varied according to the problems they have been called to cure, and according to character of the people they have ruled over. Their task never has been, and never will be easy, because the two contrary elements, of which our existence and the nature of society is composed, demand the employment of different means. In view of our divine essence, we need only liberty and work; in view of our mortal nature, we need for our direction a guide and a support. A government is not then, as a distinguished economist has said, a necessary ulcer; it is rather the beneficent motive power of all social organisation.

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfgang Held
    I walked into those baracks [of Buchenwald concentrationcamp], in which there were people on the three-layered bunkbeds. But only their eyes were alive. Emaciated, skinny figures, nothing more but skin and bones. One thinks that they are dead, because they did not move. Only the eyes. I started to cry. And then one of the prisoners came, stood by me for a while, put a hand on my shoulder and said to me, something that I will never forget: ''Tränen sind denn nicht genug, mein Junge,
    Tränen sind denn nicht genug.''

Jajem ssoref is m'n korew
    E goochem mit e wenk, e nar mit e shtomp
    Wer niks is, hot kawsones

I think I would start with EU III or Crusader Kings instead - EUIII has a lot of features, but most of them are pretty shallow and relatively easy to learn. CK, on the other hand, is largely lacking a feature variety and the only excessively complex feature it has is that of the lines of inheritance (conveniently its key feature anyway). But I agree in so far as that Victoria should probably be the last game to play, because it is the most complex of the series.
    Last edited by Tankfriend; June 26, 2010 at 07:30 AM.

EU II is a great introduction into how the Europa engine works... It's got a fair amount of depth in the grand scheme of things, but it's very easy to learn the component parts. For the Glory would be an excellent title to get; it's essentially EU II greatly modified to have a more streamlined UI and improved mechanics under the hood.
    قرطاج يجب ان تدمر

Quote Originally Posted by Prince Helikaon View Post
    Hey guys, I've been on the website a couple of times for mods and such, but I never realised you have such a good community here. ^_^ I've been browsing for a few hours and seems its a pretty cool place.

Just a quick question, I've always been tempted to buy a Grand Strategy game from Paradox, but having never played any of their games, I've no idea which one.

The period of history i'm most interested in is probably Roman Era, but I've bad things about Rome EU and very good things and Crusader Kings and EU III.

Just wondering if you can recommend the most complete Grand strategy experience for someone new to the genre =)

Thanks a lot, have a nice day =)

Helikaon.
    Welcome to the forums.

Don't be scared away from giving EU:Rome a try, particularly if your a fan of the era. With the expansion Vae Victis it's really not as bad as some would make it out to seem. Though for your first Paradox game, i'd recommend you go with EU III with expansions.

Whatever you do...... Don't break into Paradox games with Victoria.

EUIII, its the one that made me fall in love with paradox.
    I come in peace, I didn't bring artillery. But I am pleading with you with tears in my eyes: If you F___ with me, I'll kill you all.
    - Marine General James Mattis, to Iraqi tribal leaders

Nostalgia aint as good as it used to be

I am actually going to recommend something that was published, and not made by paradox. The game Knights of Honor has been a real fun game to play and i have already clocked in about 11 hrs. Basically, imagine if you had a simplified EU with the option to fight like in the TW game. Its all real time. The game gives you the option to lead your armies and control them on the battlefield. Whats cool is that, even when controlling the army, you still get map alerts and armies are still moving about and can help you or your adversary. Very innovative in my opinion.

Watch some of me replays for RTW http://www.youtube.com/user/TeutonicJoe

thanks the reply's guys, definately going to give EU III a shot. Also thanks Joe, awesome suggestion, checking it out now. =D

Knights of Honor isn't bad, but it cannot really keep up the long-term motivation in my opinion. The main problem is that it's something of both Paradox and Total War, but neither part really excels at anything. The real-time combat is a little extra to the side without any real necessity for it - unlike Total War, auto-resolve generally has quite good results as long as you have good troops and a good general. And the economy is exceedingly easy because the only thing you have to do is hire merchants, assign the most prosperous foreign nations for trade and wait. The things that KoH far outperforms Total War in is AI and diplomacy, and even Paradox games have a serious rival in it there.
    That said, it also has quite a few very interesting gameplay ideas like "great achievements", regional/national/special units, rare ressources that are randomly generated around the map each time you start a new game and province improvements based on those ressources.

MehemtAli_Pasha's Avatar Campidoctor

Victoria is my first game and it wasnt so bad. i struggled at first, but it was well worth it, as it is my favorite strategy game to date.

any way i can understand why would go with EUIII and not Vicky but still, it's a game to be considered if you are more into a political economical game.
    Last edited by MehemtAli_Pasha; June 26, 2010 at 06:08 PM.

Musthavename's Avatar Bunneh Ressurection
    Somewhere in the room you're currently in.

Make sure you get EU3 complete. HTTT isn't nescessary (it's not included in Complete), and you might want to put it off until you decide wether you like it or not. With the Complete Edition, it takes away a LOT of needless micromanagement, which is always a great thing.
    Give a man a fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of the day.
    Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

HTTT is a must in my book, makes wars and rebels so much better
    I come in peace, I didn't bring artillery. But I am pleading with you with tears in my eyes: If you F___ with me, I'll kill you all.
    - Marine General James Mattis, to Iraqi tribal leaders

Nostalgia aint as good as it used to be

EUIII for sure. The best part about EUIII, is that it has one of the best user made mods of any paradox game (and paradox games are known for their strong community mod support).

You play EUIII, get good at it, then go and install the magni mundi mod. The mod was so damn good, paradox had the mod team make their own spin off stand alone game (its should be out next year i imagine...the stand alone game that is).

Quote Originally Posted by the42up View Post
    EUIII for sure. The best part about EUIII, is that it has one of the best user made mods of any paradox game (and paradox games are known for their strong community mod support).

You play EUIII, get good at it, then go and install the magni mundi mod. The mod was so damn good, paradox had the mod team make their own spin off stand alone game (its should be out next year i imagine...the stand alone game that is).
    Well to be fair.....

Magna Mundi is not exclusive to that club. Paradox has done just that for a few mods. IIRC, MM just happens to be the latest one.

Quote Originally Posted by Lysander13 View Post
    Well to be fair.....

Magna Mundi is not exclusive to that club. Paradox has done just that for a few mods. IIRC, MM just happens to be the latest one.
    yeah quite a few actually. I am just a big fan boy when it comes to Magna Mundi.

Indefinitely Banned

Quote Originally Posted by the42up View Post

Is it still available for free?

Their Law's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Quote Originally Posted by Kaiser Of Crunk View Post
    Is it still available for free?
    There's two versions now. The Magna Mundi platinum mod, which is the traditional mod. I think the latest version is for HTTT 4.1. And the Magna Mundi game which is under development at the moment.
    "You have a decent ear for notes
    but you can't yet appreciate harmony."

EU3 with expansions.

It is the easiest to learn, also its the least buggy and most impressive game of their current generation.

HOI3 is crap, frankly. It is nothing like HOI2 at all in terms of completeness or fun factor, so I guess HOI2 would do as well.

I still think EU3 though, its easily their best game in recent years. After that you could check out their other games that are awesome like EU2 (completely different game if you play AGCEEP mod than EU3 so its interesting even though there is a sequel), hoi2, rome, the hoi2 remake, etc. Victoria 2 should be good as well.
    Swear filters are for sites run by immature children.

cenkiss's Avatar Domesticus

EU3 is the easiest and user-friendly for a new player.

Vicky.

On hard.
    Hammer & Sickle - Karacharovo

And I drank it strait down.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast