Thread: [FO3 AAR] The Sane and the Civilized

Default [FO3 AAR] The Sane and the Civilized

It's strange how easily the sane and the civilized turn into raving barbarians. Everyone's living the dream in their perfect little slice of suburbia, knowing but not caring about the war with China, and far to civilized to be scared. Even when the sirens started going off, half of them couldn't be bothered to run off to some shelter, they were civilized! America would protect them! Of course, nothing short of a 20 ton steel door and some seriously thick walls is gonna protect you from 80 some thousand nuclear warheads being launched simultaneously, especially not a country who's to busy nuking everyone else to worry about itself.

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

In Thailand, thumbs up mean " you!"

But enough with the history lesson. My point is, when you get a bunch of the most uptight, polite, "civilized"people and drop a couple hundred megatons of bombs on them, they turn against each other faster than piranhas in a bowl of chum. Now, two hundred years later, you've got people running around in rags, pumped up on drugs, spiking their hair with who-knows-what (god knows I've never seen any gel in the wasteland), killing and raping anyone who gets in their way, barring Super Mutants, Centaurs, Yao Guai and the like. At least, I assume they don't rape the Yao Guai. That'd be insane even for them.

Not Pictured: Hair Gel

Meanwhile, there's some guy holed up in a tower or something playing 320 year old songs. Granted, no one's really been making music for the last two centuries, but you'd think he might be able to get something from 21st century at least. He calls himself "3 Dog," by the way. Maybe he thinks he's Cerburus reborn or something? More likely he had a bad trip involving dogs, big bands, and public service announcements and decided to make a radio station around it.

See any dogs? Neither do I.

So where do I fit in to all this? Well, I ride the middle line. I've never been one to shy away from violence, a fact that many a "Tunnel Snake" (a three man gang from the vaults with a worrying obsession with phallic symbols) can attest to. In fact, I'm quite proficient at killing, maiming, and beating. When I first stepped out of Vault 101, I realized that the Capitol Wasteland was a place where my talents could be put to good use, for better or worse. Well, technically when I first stepped out of the vault, I realized that the mothering Sun is way to mothering bright, and then I realized that the outside is quite the -hole, and then I realized the whole bit about my talents. The details don't really matter though.

More of a teaser than a start, I'm still working out the stylistic details. Any feedback about it is greatly appreciated. And it's a bit wordy, I know, but that's mostly because I haven't really started yet. The pictures were inserted at the last minute to break up the wall of words.
    I thought about writing something clever, but then I remembered I'm not clever enough.

Default Re: [FO3 AAR] The Sane and the Civilized

I suppose I should clarify a thing or two. I wasn't born in the Vault, though I didn't know it for 18 years. No, I was born somewhere in the sweet Wastes, and when my mom died, my dad got paranoid and moved into 101. I even have a baby picture:
    See how cute I am? Yeah. I'm ugly, so what? It's impossible to get a good face on that thing anyway.

Now I grew up surrounded by blast proof walls, 2 ton doors, and almost no responsibility, so you can imagine I had plenty of opportunities to sit around and do nothing. All there was to do was Amata, and that was nice for the first year or so, but eventually you need some variation in your schedule, you know? That change was brought about by my dad freaking out again and trying to bust out of the vault. Amata found out and woke me up to leave as well, and I barely had time to slip out from under Christine Kendall and get my clothes on before I was fighting my way through guards and radroaches with nothing but a pistol and a baseball bat. I did get out of course, and I even broke the Overseer's leg, which was fun, but in the end I still ended up coming out of the ground with nothing but a kevlar vest, two jumpsuits, and some weapons.

I walked. I didn't walk far, but it was good to just walk, with the world spread out on all sides. I ended up near a large place that the local robot called "Megaton." It was now that I decided I should try to blend, because anyone who sees some Waste-virgin wandering around is going to see a prime target. For... anything really. So I traded one of my police batons for some clothes, and promptly changed.
    I blinked.

Then I walked into town.

Oh, before I walk into town, I should clarify something. The name's Oceanus, my dad had a water fetish or something. Most people call me Sean though.
    I thought about writing something clever, but then I remembered I'm not clever enough.

Luigi_Time!'s Avatar Libertus

Default Re: [FO3 AAR] The Sane and the Civilized

i like it. keep up the good work!