Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: Curia Hostilia - Consulate of Annalis and Celer

Elendil of Númenor's Avatar Campidoctor

Default Re: Curia Hostilia - Consulate of Annalis and Celer

For the first time, Celsus's expression darkened, and there was no sarcasm in his words.
    "I truly wonder for how long," he muttered.

"Do not push me, Celsus."

Celer leaned forward in his Curule chair.

"Perhaps I should have this house investigate the reasons behind your master's small report. Tell me, Celsus, is old Severus taking anything off the top? Is he paying YOU off?"
    Alistair Yronwood - Lord of Yronwood, Warden of the Stone Way, Blood Royal

"Darkness? I was born in it...molded by it. I didn't see the light until I was already a man. By then it was nothing to me but blinding! The shadows betray you because they belong to me!
    "But there must always be a Darth Traya, one that holds the knowledge of betrayal. Who has been betrayed in their heart, and will betray in turn."

"You clearly don't know who you're talking to, so let me clue you in. I am not in danger, I AM the danger! A guy opens his door and gets shot and you think that of me? No. I am the one who knocks! "

Enough! Celer!

How DARE you continue this obstruction of the affairs of the Republic when you yourself have accused me the very same when I merely mentioned that the motion YOU placed forth had received no second in the senate nor have been discussed. How DARE you refuse the proconsul as well as the propraetors of the East the ships they so desperately need. How DARE you blind yourself to reason and suggest that the Eastern Provinces establish their own war ports when it will take TWO years.

Let me ask you this, Celer, of what exactly is it that makes you delay the affairs of this Republic. What is motivating you? Why would you have put forth a motion detailing the almost doublefold increase at the north where any possible threat is easily manageable. Why would you deny the entire Eastern Province of the ability to ferry troops around for adequate defense. Why would you seemingly hold all things off until the very end of both Proconsul's terms? Why, Celer? I ask that as a member of this house. Why?

Do you know what I think, noble consul, do any of you know what I think?

Cato turned to the rest of the Senate and stepped into the center of the curia.

I think our consul desperately WANTS the proconsuls to fail. Oh what an achievement that would be for his political campaign. To see his rivals humiliated, beaten, and even stomped into the dust. At what cost? If he wanted to see Severus crushed in Asia, what must he deprive the proconsul? Oh, I dunno, perhaps a fleet to transport troops from the mainland to the island holdings. If he wanted Rhadamanthus to fail in the West what must he do? Ah, of course, deprive the man the money so desperately needed to Romanize the province.

And yet, what would he gain? What good can possibly come from his fellow magistrates' failures? If Severus were to lose land in the East from the Greeks, then Celer would swoop in, with a fleet ready, and take the lands back. A savior! If Rhadamanthus were to lose land in the West from rebellion, then Celer would be able to march in, take up a legion and take those lands back. A savior again! Senators, do you see what this man is doing to our Republic?

He is willing to make her bleed for his personal glory! He is willing to risk her borders for his own gains!

And of course he will hear none of this, of course he will say that I am lying. But lying is a sport you are already familiar with, isn't it Celer? You will only smile that smile of yours and then ask your lictors to remove me. Yet all of these actions will not absolve you of your hidden agenda. I would have hoped that there are men in here who have enough backbone to stand up to this man who fancies himself a king, this man who stands up there toting his consulate powers as regally as he did, a man who dares to dictate to the Senate and then feign stupidity and surprise when a voice of dissent should rise against his ego.

Truly, you are a worthy consul. Blocking the request for Proconsul Severus' need for naval vessels despite a clear need of those similar vessels, that is dereliction of duty, blocking of state affairs. And Senators, when a man blocks state affairs, the affairs of Rome, that is called treason.

Fellow Senators! I am now calling in effect, a VOTE OF NO CONFIDENCE against Tiberius Marcius Celer on the grounds of illegal voting procedure as per his attempts at introducing a land reform bill that had not been seconded by the Senate, the grounds of obstructing the conduction of affairs in the Republic in his refusal to grant a necessary fleet to the Eastern Provinces, and the grounds of regal behavior unbefitting of a Roman magistrate in his dictatorial manners of speech to this august body.

Crusades
    Historical fiction - Fifty Tales from Rome

Can YOU dance like the Cookie Man?
    Improbe amor quid non mortalia pectora cogis? - The Aeneid
    I run an Asteroid mining website. Visit it before James Cameron takes it from me.

Servius stands up, full of angry an disbelief and looks at Cato

"How dare you attack a CONSUL of ROME! This man dares to mock Celer, who has done nothing to state he has commited treason, NOTHING! If anything, you should be the one to leave the senate! You bewail against Consul Celer like no tomorrow, and continue to do it against everything he has to say! You say our pro-consul in Asia needs a navy, when they are not under invasion! Our Tribune has said they are not under attack this moment and that they could easily build one with their adequate funds. Do you not see reason! You say that our ELECTED Consul of Rome wants Pro-Consul Serverus to FAIL! You say that he wants to see this republic fall! If anybody should be charged with treason it is you! You wrongfully attack our ELECTED Consul of Rome!"

He looks at the senate

"Cato has gone far enough! He said that Celer has illegally been voted wrongfully because Celer tried to IMPROVE the bill! To make it more suitable for the people. Isn't that why we are here fellow senators, to make a nation which is for the people! Celer is a man of the people and would be voted in at almost any office, but he chose Consul and, yes, he is a CONSUL OF ROME! Celer needs to be respected god damn it!"

Servius looks at Cato

"And you! You down there, alleging that Celer, A CONSUL OF ROME, is against our nation, when he was voted in by our nation... sounds ridiculous to me, senator."

Servius looks at Celer and points his at him

"That man has just got in to office, and hasn't even done to anything and he is already being told he is KING!"

Servius chuckles

"Do you know who was a king? Gaius Marius could have been a king... but yet, a true king was a couple centuries ago, when the people said we must end this and, the people fought and they won. The person they fought was a tyrant! A tyrant is a person a the people hates, and we the senate, who the people depend on, must fight them. So some did with Marius... but then ask yourself was Marius a tyrant? He was liked by the people, I think? He certainly wasn't hated. The senate's definition of Tyrant is a person who is LOVED by the people, and is a threat to their wealth."

"Celer isn't a person who wants to be dictator, nor will he EVER be a tyrant. He was elected as a consul of Rome, head of state, he commands one thing and that simply is respect, dignity and positivity, not for him but for his office."

Servius looked down and then raised his head with a confident smile.

"Therefore I hereby propose a VOTE OF NO CONFIDENCE for Senator Pallas and his master Nisus. I propose that these men BOTH be stripped of their office for the offense of conspiring against the state, plotting the murder of the state's citizens, having a Consul of Rome followed and plotting to seize control of Rome. The evidence is all here. These men wish to gather a massive army where they can march on Rome and slaughter the people! THAT is why they clamour and DEMAND more men! That is why they need ships! Gods they even have our CONSUL followed! This must end! THIS MUST END! I propose this motion be brought to vote immediatly."
    YATS- Servius Vibius Triarius- 34- Senator of Rome

Celer sat back, amazed at the Senator's first speech in the Curia. Celer would be watching this young man even more closely then before.

"I second this man's motion and will have this motion voted on immediatly."

"Darkness? I was born in it...molded by it. I didn't see the light until I was already a man. By then it was nothing to me but blinding! The shadows betray you because they belong to me!
    "But there must always be a Darth Traya, one that holds the knowledge of betrayal. Who has been betrayed in their heart, and will betray in turn."

"You clearly don't know who you're talking to, so let me clue you in. I am not in danger, I AM the danger! A guy opens his door and gets shot and you think that of me? No. I am the one who knocks! "

Is that so, Celer? And you call me Rhadamanthus' lapdog when you yourself have plenty of cronies here in the Senate itself. So be it, if you are willing to bring up investigation against both myself and Rhadamanthus, then take it to the courts, and we'll let the law absolve us.

As for YOU, Triarius, I wonder how much support Celer promised you in the future. You make it seem as if our Consul is inviolable, as if he were faultless. Is he not a man? Is he not born of the same flesh and blood as all men are? If he isn't, then bless the heavens, we have a god on our hands, but unless he can prove his godhood, his each action will be criticized and evaluated as a man's should be.

As for your purely outlandish remarks that I made regarding Celer being voted in illegally, may I ask if you are daft? Have you even listened to a word that I've said or have you just been rehashing the lines that Celer has fed you one by one. I said that he ignored the voting protocols when he attempted to pass his version of the land reform bill which has received no backing in the Senate while simultaneously ignoring the version that HAS been backed and asked to be voted upon by his colleague.

You say that our lands in Asia faces no invasion, tell that to the Greek ships and warlords that are in the Aegean sea. There are no infrastructure for the construction of a fleet in the East, and the next bill, which Celer himself proposed has allocated legions to be sent to the East. How will those legions arrive? Will they WALK overland as Celer have suggested? That takes us through Ilyrian territories, a nation neutral to us now, but when we land a legion through their lands, what will they do? Sending two legions overland when they could be much more quickly sent by sea is not only foolish but invites disaster. I hope that your tiny brain is capable of comprehending that.

Celer's decision to FORCE the legions to march over land rather than transported by sea is indicative that he does not want those legions to arrive at Asia to be of any use for Severus, but for the next proconsul. And in two years time, he himself will be eligible for proconsulate, how coincidental that when he has the chance to ascend the proconsulate, he will have two fresh legions available.

A vote of no confidence for plotting to kill citizens of Rome. You really are as daft as you sound. Plots, what plots? Show me evidence of any plotting between myself and Rhadamanthus that would suggest we are even attempting to plot the death of citizens. These troops were not DEMANDED by the proconsuls, these were ALLOCATED to them by suggestion of the consuls! The very consul that you see as a faultless god and at whose feet you grovel like a sniveling child.

And what another wonderful lie of an accusation you have raised: that we have the consul followed. Tell me, Celer, do you feel as if you are being followed at all times, that I am trailing your every move as you move about the City? Do you have to look over your shoulder each night you go to sleep, afraid that a boogeyman would stab you in the back?

As for your final accusation, plotting to seize control of Rome.

Pallas took a step forward and looked Triarius in the face.

Perhaps you should consider Celer's actions just a little more closely. Lies and accusations can't keep him safe forever from the impartial rod of the law. If you say that a consul is unassailable by words, then shouldn't the same apply to the Proconsuls?

ooc: do we have a definitive building plan for Italy yet? Can we get a move on that so we can hit end turn in the game?
    Last edited by chaplain118; June 27, 2010 at 11:50 PM.

Crusades

I run an Asteroid mining website. Visit it before James Cameron takes it from me.

Celer just smiled and sat back in his chair.

"The motion has been seconded and will now be brought to vote."

Celer began to call for a division and then paused.

"I have not done anything to detriment this Republic, Pallas. You, on the other hand, have. I could have you arrested. I could have you tried in front of the Roman people on the charge of perdulio, high treason."

Celer shook his head.

"But I will not. I will leave you be. This motion will be voted on now jointly. If it is passed the Senator Pallas and Nisus Rhadamanthus will be stripped of their respective offices and be returned to the rank of private citizen."

Celer rubbed his chin then remembered what he was going to say.

"Ah yes, also, Censor would you please note that Senator Pallas called the honourable Senator Triarius 'daft' and 'a sniveling child'. Scribe would you also take note, I intend to have this entire debate published you see."

Celer waved his hand.

"This house may now divide."

If you will have me censured for calling Triarius that, then what about his blasphemous statement? Or will you let your crony receive special treatment in the eyes of the Censor?

ooc: did not forsee this little hitch.

Crusades

Quote Originally Posted by chaplain118 View Post
    If you will have me censured for calling Triarius that, then what about his blasphemous statement? Or will you let your crony receive special treatment in the eyes of the Censor?

ooc: did not forsee this little hitch.
    "If the records show that Triarius has insulted a member of this house I am sure the Censor will take that into consideration."

Celer looked at the transcripts.

"I do not see when he might have insulted you but if the Censor sees differently that is his perogative."

I see that we have ranked personal insults to be of higher importance than insults to the gods. Truly, this is the sign of a Roman.

Crusades

I see that we have ranked personal insults to be of higher importance than insults to the gods. Truly, this is the sign of a Roman.
    Celer raised his eyebrows.

"I cannot see where the Senator in question insulted the Gods, Pallas. Could you please enlighten me?"

His exclamation that "Celer is consul, god damn it". Such crude language in the Curia itself. I should be shocked, yet I expected no less from populists who have picked up the vernacular of the streets.

Crusades

His exclamation that "Celer is consul, god damn it". Such crude language in the Curia itself. I should be shocked, yet I expected no less from populists who have picked up the vernacular of the streets.
    Celer spoke to his scribe. The two exchanged some muffled laughter and then Celer turned back to Pallas.

"If the Censor sees such a statement as inappropriate then I will of course submit to his judgement, however I do not personally see much of a problem. What I got from his statement is that he was asking the Gods to damn you and your master's plans and at the same time emphasising the importance of the rank of Consul. Thats just me though."

Spoken like a king, how fitting.

ooc: I am now contemplating pulling a Sulla

Crusades

Spoken like a king, how fitting.

ooc: I am now contemplating pulling a Sulla
    OOC: The people don't like you as much as I. With the bill I passed the soldiers of Rome are required to swear an oath to the Senate, yes? That and they are drawn from the commoners. There is no way in god that they would follow you. Add to that I'm the lawfully elected Consul and I got all the legitimacy I need.

"If I were a King you would have been escorted out of this house long ago and Rhadamanthus would never have been allowed to foster his treasonous thoughts."

Celer sat back.

Winter's Avatar Civitate

Censor Valerius stands, holding out his hands.

"Enough!"

Silence falls.

"I have had enough of watching two petulant men trade barbs over this hallowed floor. For shame! You men bicker like children and argue over name calling! What Roman men are you? What honor is there in these displays of foolishness? None!"

The Censor lets the last syllable hang in the air.

"...Now. I hoped to allow you grown men to end this feud on your own, but it appears that that will not be possible. Therefore, I am left only with punishment...

I have thus deemed it necessary and proper to Censure Consul Marcius Celer for his utterly childlike, petulant, and seemingly unfounded accusations against many members of this House. Further, I will also Censure senator Pallas Aventinus Cato, for his own petulance, impropriety, and undignified nature. Let it be known that these men have exhibited conduct unbecoming of any Roman."

Valerius looks around the House.

"Gentlemen, I am pained that I am the first Censor in years to grant such punishments to a Consul of Rome. Do not mistake this pain for weakness. You men have brought shame upon yourselves and your families today, but do not think that will be the end of your shame if you do not stop this pathetic bickering and madness. I will expel you from this Curia, and I will affix the Nota Censura next to your name in the public records, so that all the citizens of Rome may bear witness to the depths of your shame.

I have said enough. Let the debate continue. Civilly..."

Quote Originally Posted by Rebel Jeb View Post
    Hah, you're always so helpful to threads Winter. No wonder you got citizen!

Quote Originally Posted by Winter View Post
    Censor Valerius stands, holding out his hands.

"Enough!"

Silence falls.

"I have had enough of watching two petulant men trade barbs over this hallowed floor. For shame! You men bicker like children and argue over name calling! What Roman men are you? What honor is there in these displays of foolishness? None!"

The Censor lets the last syllable hang in the air.

"...Now. I hoped to allow you grown men to end this feud on your own, but it appears that that will not be possible. Therefore, I am left only with punishment...

I have thus deemed it necessary and proper to Censure Consul Marcius Celer for his utterly childlike, petulant, and seemingly unfounded accusations against many members of this House. Further, I will also Censure senator Pallas Aventinus Cato, for his own petulance, impropriety, and undignified nature. Let it be known that these men have exhibited conduct unbecoming of any Roman."

Valerius looks around the House.

"Gentlemen, I am pained that I am the first Censor in years to grant such punishments to a Consul of Rome. Do not mistake this pain for weakness. You men have brought shame upon yourselves and your families today, but do not think that will be the end of your shame if you do not stop this pathetic bickering and madness. I will expel you from this Curia, and I will affix the Nota Censura next to your name in the public records, so that all the citizens of Rome may bear witness to the depths of your shame.

I have said enough. Let the debate continue. Civilly..."
    "Censor! I must protest! I have not insulted anyone! I have evidence of the charges I have laid against Rhadamanthus. Multiple of my allies have receieved threatening notes via Raven from the Proconsul and I have testimony that the Proconsul has been having me followed. There is no reason as to why I should have this dishonour put next to my name. I ask that you remove the censure until furthur notice when I can produce proper evidence of the things I have said."

Celer motioned to Pallas.

"At for Pallas I have heard him insult a Senator in this hall, as have you. You wrote to me you would avoid partisan politics. Doing what you are doing is partisan, Censor. And..."

Celer pulled out the transcripts.

"If you read these you will see that I have not bickered at all with Pallas. I seconded the motion that Senator Triarius put out and agreed with him. When Pallas asked me a question or accused me I answered. There is NO warrant for a censure."

Winter's Avatar Civitate

Consul, if you protest my decree you may seek to have me removed as well. I believe you will find little support. Let it go, and save the bickering for private.

Quote Originally Posted by Rebel Jeb View Post
    Hah, you're always so helpful to threads Winter. No wonder you got citizen!

Quote Originally Posted by Winter View Post
    Consul, if you protest my decree you may seek to have me removed as well. I believe you will find little support. Let it go, and save the bickering for private.
    Celer was outraged, not angry, outraged. He had judged the Censor wrong.

"Censor I would never have you removed. I believed you to be honourable and still do. You cannot simply throw out a censure with no real basis. I did not bicker with Pallas, I defended myself. Pallas, and by extension Rhadamanthus, has been insulting me the entire term long. I have every copy of every debate we have had, read them and you will see."

Celer shook his head.

"Censor I deeply respect you. I am asking you for the good of the Roman constitution and the offices of this Republic to remove the censure from the Consul. This has never been done before and sets a terrible precedent. Our last Consul was killed in the street and I simply seek law and order. Catullus, in the name of the Republic you cannot do this. It is abusive of your powers and it weakens this Republic immensly."

ooc: censorial censure, that's a -7 in dignitas AND gravitas isn't it?

Crusades