Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: Curia Hostilia - Consulate of Annalis and Celer

Default Re: Curia Hostilia - Consulate of Annalis and Celer

The proconsul is the one with the final imperium and jurisdiction in Africa. While the Senate may advise him on what is to be done, he is the one who declares what ought to be done, if anything. And looking over the Proconsul's report, I believe his proposal regarding the construction of religious buildings to convert the local populus to our belief will ameliate the situation.

As for the quaestor's proposal, I second that wholeheartedly.

Crusades
    Historical fiction - Fifty Tales from Rome

Can YOU dance like the Cookie Man?
    Improbe amor quid non mortalia pectora cogis? - The Aeneid
    I run an Asteroid mining website. Visit it before James Cameron takes it from me.

"The Senate has more jurisdiction then any magistrate, Senator. We can legislate on anything, including on Africa. With that said I am not going to waste the scrolls with a bill for this and will simply send a letter advising Rhadamanthus that he should lower the taxes."
    Alistair Yronwood - Lord of Yronwood, Warden of the Stone Way, Blood Royal

"Darkness? I was born in it...molded by it. I didn't see the light until I was already a man. By then it was nothing to me but blinding! The shadows betray you because they belong to me!
    "But there must always be a Darth Traya, one that holds the knowledge of betrayal. Who has been betrayed in their heart, and will betray in turn."

"You clearly don't know who you're talking to, so let me clue you in. I am not in danger, I AM the danger! A guy opens his door and gets shot and you think that of me? No. I am the one who knocks! "

Lowering taxes will drive our financial situation in Africa to an even lower point than it is now. Rhadamanthus already proposed an advisory action that would see unrest reduced. Again, he mentioned in his report that much of the unrest seen in Africa is due not to the burden of taxes but to the differences in religion. I see no reason to deplete our Republic of her coffers for the benefits of some Punic folks abroad. They have risen against us in the past, they have shed the blood of Romans, Patrician and Plebeian alike, and now you propose to ameliorate them by lowering THEIR taxes?

Celer, I had known you to be a hypocrite in the short time you have spoken here in these halls, but this hypocrisy is a new low, even for you. To propose lowering taxes in Africa would be to spit in the face of every Roman who had ever served in the Punic Wars, to insult their memory, and to declare that their actions were meant to be more beneficial for the Carthaginians than for the Roman citizens who are here in Italy!

Within a few months, Proconsul Rhadamanthus will have the entire situation under control, and there would be NO need to lower taxes and I daresay we might even be able to RAISE them to help benefit our Republic. But until then, think of the PEOPLE that you profess to love so much.

Crusades

I run an Asteroid mining website. Visit it before James Cameron takes it from me.

Quote Originally Posted by chaplain118 View Post
    Lowering taxes will drive our financial situation in Africa to an even lower point than it is now. Rhadamanthus already proposed an advisory action that would see unrest reduced. Again, he mentioned in his report that much of the unrest seen in Africa is due not to the burden of taxes but to the differences in religion. I see no reason to deplete our Republic of her coffers for the benefits of some Punic folks abroad. They have risen against us in the past, they have shed the blood of Romans, Patrician and Plebeian alike, and now you propose to ameliorate them by lowering THEIR taxes?

Celer, I had known you to be a hypocrite in the short time you have spoken here in these halls, but this hypocrisy is a new low, even for you. To propose lowering taxes in Africa would be to spit in the face of every Roman who had ever served in the Punic Wars, to insult their memory, and to declare that their actions were meant to be more beneficial for the Carthaginians than for the Roman citizens who are here in Italy!

Within a few months, Proconsul Rhadamanthus will have the entire situation under control, and there would be NO need to lower taxes and I daresay we might even be able to RAISE them to help benefit our Republic. But until then, think of the PEOPLE that you profess to love so much.
    Celer, who had long since given up talking to the young annoying Senator waved his hand in dismissal.

"Let him do what he wants if he loses the province to rebellion, so be it."

Celer read the Quaestor's bill.

"So I take it we can bring this to vote then?"

"Darkness? I was born in it...molded by it. I didn't see the light until I was already a man. By then it was nothing to me but blinding! The shadows betray you because they belong to me!
    "But there must always be a Darth Traya, one that holds the knowledge of betrayal. Who has been betrayed in their heart, and will betray in turn."

"You clearly don't know who you're talking to, so let me clue you in. I am not in danger, I AM the danger! A guy opens his door and gets shot and you think that of me? No. I am the one who knocks! "

If there is no objection on the Senate floor, then I don't see why not.

Crusades

"I now direct you to the motion I proposed a few days ago.

I. That two legions be transferred to the East, one to Anatolia and one to Macedon, and that they are placed under the command of the governors of said region.

II. That three legions be moved North to Cisalpine Gaul to block the threat of barbarian invasion and remain under Consular command.

III. That one legion move to Narbonensis and remain under Consular command.

IV. That a transport fleet be constructed for the Pro-Consul's use.

Does anyone have any objections? May I put this to vote as well?"

I have read the Pro-praetor of Nearer Gaul's report about the presence of a possible Gallic army at our footsteps. We have all heard it being narrated before us by the messenger. Did he specifically not say to NOT antagonize the Gauls? Also, why must we bring yet ANOTHER three legions north? According to Consul Annalis' reports, there are already four legions stationed at Genua, Mediolanum, Bonnonia, and Arretium, not to mention the legion directly behind them in Ancona. Moving another three legions would increase the total power concentrated there to be a total of seven legions. Seven!

Now, senators. I don't know about you, but seven legions. That is the amount we used to conquer the Punics in the latter days of the Second Punic War. Why post seven legions at the border if we have plans of only a DEFENSIVE action. It seems to me that the Consul's plan seems more intent on MAKING WAR against the Gauls rather than preserving a peace. So I cannot support point II.

Neither can I support point II. The area of Narboensis is under the jurisdiction of the Pro-Praetor in the province of Nearer Gaul. If the consul wishes to have command of the legions there, then he may request imperium from the Senate IN THE EVENT OF A WAR and war only. But why keep a legion in a province under consular command unless you do not trust the man running the province? And if that is the case, why even bother putting that man there?

As for the last point, while I may agree with its principle, I cannot agree with its merit. We need fleets to transport troops to and from Italy to the provinces, but there is already a fleet available in both western and eastern Italy that can easily be relocated for such purposes.

And what of the legions that Annalis said would have gone to Africa? I see no mentions of it in your bill. You are letting your personal vendetta against the Patricians hinder the good of the Republic, Celer, and that we cannot allow. Strike the latter three points from your bill and replace them with this clause:

II. Another two legions are to be sent to the west, with one to Africa, and one to Hispania.

III. The fleets on both coasts of Italy are to be used for the Proconsuls to help them better facilitate the transport of troops.

If this bill continues in its current form, then I have no choice but to ask the honorable tribune to veto it. As it is clearly both war-mongering as well as grossly overstepping the boundaries of assigned powers.

Crusades

I have read the Pro-praetor of Nearer Gaul's report about the presence of a possible Gallic army at our footsteps. We have all heard it being narrated before us by the messenger. Did he specifically not say to NOT antagonize the Gauls? Also, why must we bring yet ANOTHER three legions north? According to Consul Annalis' reports, there are already four legions stationed at Genua, Mediolanum, Bonnonia, and Arretium, not to mention the legion directly behind them in Ancona. Moving another three legions would increase the total power concentrated there to be a total of seven legions. Seven!

Now, senators. I don't know about you, but seven legions. That is the amount we used to conquer the Punics in the latter days of the Second Punic War. Why post seven legions at the border if we have plans of only a DEFENSIVE action. It seems to me that the Consul's plan seems more intent on MAKING WAR against the Gauls rather than preserving a peace. So I cannot support point II.

Neither can I support point II. The area of Narboensis is under the jurisdiction of the Pro-Praetor in the province of Nearer Gaul. If the consul wishes to have command of the legions there, then he may request imperium from the Senate IN THE EVENT OF A WAR and war only. But why keep a legion in a province under consular command unless you do not trust the man running the province? And if that is the case, why even bother putting that man there?

As for the last point, while I may agree with its principle, I cannot agree with its merit. We need fleets to transport troops to and from Italy to the provinces, but there is already a fleet available in both western and eastern Italy that can easily be relocated for such purposes.

And what of the legions that Annalis said would have gone to Africa? I see no mentions of it in your bill. You are letting your personal vendetta against the Patricians hinder the good of the Republic, Celer, and that we cannot allow. Strike the latter three points from your bill and replace them with this clause:

II. Another two legions are to be sent to the west, with one to Africa, and one to Hispania.

III. The fleets on both coasts of Italy are to be used for the Proconsuls to help them better facilitate the transport of troops.

If this bill continues in its current form, then I have no choice but to ask the honorable tribune to veto it. As it is clearly both war-mongering as well as grossly overstepping the boundaries of assigned powers.
    Celer stood, the other day he had made the mistake of getting enraged at Pallas today he had no intention of following his passions.

"I agree, seven legions is too much and I will remove that clause. As for Narbo I think that if we put the legions under the command of the governor it would be acceptable."

Celer now zeroed in on Pallas.

"Now, I do believe that the Pro-Consul may need to transport ships therefore, if we have a fleet, I will give it to the Pro-Consul. With that said the other fleet will be held by the Senate until furthur notice."

Celer read his motion one more time.

"If the Pro-Consul does need another legion then I will add that to my bill making my bill look like so:

I. That two legions be transferred to the East, one to Anatolia and one to Macedon, and that they are placed under the command of the governors of said region.

II. That one legion be moved to Africa and one be moved to Hispania.

III. That one legion move to Narbonensis and be given to the governor of said region.

IV. That a transport fleet on the west coast of Italy shall be granted to Pro-Consul Rhadamanthus.

V. That one additional legion be moved North in order to further reinforce Cisalpine Gaul."

Celer stood at the last clause.

"Understand, war is not what I seek. I seek to secure our borders so we may, in the future, continue to expand and therefore make safer the Republic. Now, my co-consul agrees with my stance as even he said that we should reinforce Cisalpine Gaul further. And Senator..."

Celer narrowed his eyes.

"I would rather have preparing for a possible war provoke a real one then have a war occur and not be prepared."

I still see no merit in clause V. As I have already mentioned, there are currently four legions stationed at the border-towns of Northern Italy along with a legion in reserve. In any event that a war breaks out, the legions there are more than ready to stem back the tide of Gauls. Rather than moving more legions to the area, why not set up military camps in the passes? Move legions from their garrisoned cities and establish strategic forts in the mountain passes that can check any possible advances made by the Gauls.

If you are willing to change the clause to that, then we may come to some kind of agreement.

Crusades

Gerges stood to add his input;

Pallas is right, until we recieve word from Severus we do not know of the stability of the east. That legion could well be better used to reinforce an area where any type of incursion and revolt could be expected. A prime example is Africa where the noble Consul has already remarked that there is large unrest, an increase in arms in that area may well quell any desire to bring about rebellion. Senator Cato makes a valid point when he states that to lower the tax rates in Africa insults the memory of the brave soldiers of the Punic Wars. Africa must not doubt our superiority and dominance over it. It is possible they may view a lowering of tax as a sign of fear and weakness, this in turn supports the idea of armed revolt.

There certainly is no need for a further legion in the North and unless Severus' position proves dire we should perhaps consider sending this unused legion to Pro-consul Rhadamanthus to help keep the peace.
    YATS NAME: Marcus Calpurnius Bestia - 52 [Plebeian]

"If that is your position I can compromise and will strike the clause from bill. We are men of compromise here."

Celer scrbbled out the last clause and showed the finalized bill.

II. That one legion be moved to Africa and one be moved to Hispania.

III. That one legion move to Narbonensis and be given to the governor of said region.

IV. That a transport fleet on the west coast of Italy shall be granted to Pro-Consul Rhadamanthus.

And of the east? I don't think it would be beneficial of our Proconsul in Asia that he'd have his hands tied with no means of exchanging troops with the various other propraetors of the region.

Crusades

And of the east? I don't think it would be beneficial of our Proconsul in Asia that he'd have his hands tied with no means of exchanging troops with the various other propraetors of the region.
    "I would like to hear a report from the Pro-Consul of Asia before that. If this house warrants that he does need another legion I will amend the bill accordingly."

Not necessarily a legion, but the eastern fleet. Let us not forget that two seas separate Italy from Asia. Not to mention that the presence of the Greek fleet, some of the finest in the world, is also troubling. Assigning a fleet to Proconsul Severus would let him effectively facilitate troop transport amongst the regions and better defend our lands.

Crusades

"I agree Senator but as I said I would like to hear from the Pro-Consul before anything is granted to him. When we hear his report I will consider what is written and if the House and I feel it is necessary to grant him a fleet and a legion or two I will propose a bill doing exactly that."

Elendil of Númenor's Avatar Campidoctor

Ave Senators!

I have settled down in my province – Asia is quite peaceful now. Citizens are happy or content everywhere, except Prusa, but I have already sent a legion to garrison the city. Numerous constructions have begun in Asia and the other Eastern Provinces, namely Grecia and Macedonia. These are mainly temples and shrines dedicated to our gods; but there are also walls of palisades to be built around some cities and towns for defence. No enemy – or any army had been seen on this side of our borders, except our own. Still, the East is dangerous, so we would keep an eye out for any hostile forces.

I have spent a total of 16450 denarii in the East. (That's 5600 for Macedonia, 3200 for Greece and 7650 for my own Province.) I sincerely hope that this is suitable – our total treasury still has more than 50000 denarii.

I hear the Senate has been debating about sending some of the legions of Italy to the Provinces. If my personal opinion counts, I would advise sending at least one to Asia and one to Macedonia. Currently there are two legions in each of the eastern provinces, but if a war would break out anywhere near our borders, we may not be able to make use of the garrison legions if we want to keep public order acceptable.
    Also, on a note about the navy – the Greeks have hundreds of ships blocking our seas! I would gladly accept some help if you could spare a fleet to send to the East. Good use could be made of it.

That is all for now. I hope you will consider the things I have asked for. I will write again when there is something to report.

The Gods be with you all,

Gnaeus Cornelius Severus
    Proconsul of Asia Minor
    ooc: sorry guys, I don't have too much time nowadays, I just can't make a better report

Praepositus
    Citizen

Quintillius smiles as he reads the report.

"Senators, this is good news. This gives us another 16,000 to spend in Italy itself, meaning we can spend a total of 20,000. Is there any recommendations on what you want building?"

Quote Originally Posted by ulti View Post
    Quintillius smiles as he reads the report.

"Senators, this is good news. This gives us another 16,000 to spend in Italy itself, meaning we can spend a total of 20,000. Is there any recommendations on what you want building?"
    "I suggest we boost the economy the best we can. Asia is well known to be rich and if properly cared for could fund our Empire for years."

And it would seem that the proconsul has been asking for his ships. I say we give Severus the other fleet. After all, you said if the proconsul asks for it, he shall receive it. Isn't that correct, my consul?

Crusades

And it would seem that the proconsul has been asking for his ships. I say we give Severus the other fleet. After all, you said if the proconsul asks for it, he shall receive it. Isn't that correct, my consul?
    "I said that if the Pro-Consul asks for it and this house agrees that it is needed then we will discuss it furthur."

Celer glanced at the report. Without looking up he began to speak.

"Upon looking at this report I do not see any reason why he would need a ship transferred to his Imperium. The Greek legion can march from Italy to Greece and the Asian bound legion can, under Senate control, transport a legion to Asia."

Celer put the report down and sat back. He smiled.

"That is just my opinion, however, and if this house thinks differently I will gladly succumb to it's wisdom."