Page 8 of 19 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718 ... LastLast

Thread: The Stainless Steel Names Overhaul Project (SSNOP)

Default Re: The Stainless Steel Names Overhaul Project (SSNOP) - Version 1.0 Beta is downloadable!

Quote Originally Posted by Meneth View Post
    A note: it will almost certainly break your save-games, since many entries have been removed.
    Yep, that's why I said a new campaign start is required.
    Unfortunately, due to the name files' heavy dependence on descr_strat, future versions are also likely to be incompatible with save-games.

Meneth's Avatar I mod, therefore I am

Default Re: The Stainless Steel Names Overhaul Project (SSNOP) - Version 1.0 Beta is downloadable!

Quote Originally Posted by Fair Prince View Post
    Yep, that's why I said a new campaign start is required.
    Unfortunately, due to the name files' heavy dependence on descr_strat, future versions are also likely to be incompatible with save-games.
    Didn't see that, sorry.
    Found one problem, though: it doesn't seem to apply properly. For it to apply properly, the maps.rwn file has to be deleted, or overwritten. Also, I found a few errors when testing the version I'm going to use in the Compilation.
    File with corrected descr_strat, and a Late descr_strat attached. Maps.rwn included (put in data\campaign\<campaign>\base)

Strange, during my testing there wasn't any problem with the map file.
    I won't like to include it as I'd prefer to keep the mod as simple as possible, but if there's no choice then I'll do that of course.

Anyway, thanks for the late campaign files - would it be possible to include these updated descr_strat files in your fixes? That way I won't have to include them in this mod, which would significantly improve its compatibility.

Strange, during my testing there wasn't any problem with the map file.
    I won't like to include it as I'd prefer to keep the mod as simple as possible, but if there's no choice then I'll do that of course.

Anyway, thanks for the late campaign files - would it be possible to include these updated descr_strat files in your fixes? That way I won't have to include them in this mod, which would significantly improve its compatibility.
    Without the name changes, it'll crash on launch with the modified descr_strat files. It would be possible to include the whole of SSNOP, though. I'll discuss it with Bane.

Quote Originally Posted by Meneth View Post
    Without the name changes, it'll crash on launch with the modified descr_strat files. It would be possible to include the whole of SSNOP, though. I'll discuss it with Bane.
    Okay, then we will see - though putting it now in the Fixes pack would be too early as there's still some work to do.

The second beta will be up tomorrow with late campaign files plus some minor text fixes.

Default Re: The Stainless Steel Names Overhaul Project (SSNOP) - Second Beta downloadable!

The second Beta is now downloadable in the first post.

It includes both early and late campaign support along with some minor fixes to a couple of Arabic, Turkish and Persian names.
    The way of installation remains the same, though intructions can be found in the readme file

EDIT: the second Beta has also been included in Meneth's latest Compilation, for an easier installation it's recommended to use that instead.

Miles

Default Re: The Stainless Steel Names Overhaul Project (SSNOP) - Second Beta downloadable!

Hey FP,

That table in the first post is a bit wrong. "Aukštaitis", "Žemaitis" and other similar "surnames" are actually by-names, they just use different word form. Lithuanians had surnames(documented ones) only from the mid XV century. I probably should have made that clear, when I gave in those names.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow_LT View Post
    Hey FP,

That table in the first post is a bit wrong. "Aukštaitis", "Žemaitis" and other similar "surnames" are actually by-names, they just use different word form. Lithuanians had surnames(documented ones) only from the mid XV century. I probably should have made that clear, when I gave in those names.
    Okay, I'll correct them, even though it doesn't make a difference at all.

Default Re: The Stainless Steel Historical Characters Project (SSHCP) - Latest text updates: Oct 2

Sorry for the late post! I have been busy interviewing for a job... Gahhh.

This was a list of names from my Deciphering the Zodiac mod for ETW. I got really far in the modding process but the lack of a campaign map editor halted the project and made me quit ETW altogether. (Shakes fist ) Anyways, hope you like it.

Excel version is attached. These names were selected as the most popular names from a broad database of historical Mongol names.

Deciphering The Zodiac - Check It Out!

Thanks, excellent list, I'll definitely put these names into the 1.0 Final release of this mod.
    A rep goes to you as promised!

Gorrrrrn's Avatar Citizen

FWIW I'm testing a version of descr_names.txt with no blank lines between lists (except the initial faction / men's names.
    with standard SS6.3 I was getting a lot of blank names when spawning random_names for princesses.
    I've no idea if removing the blank lines will solve the problem but it doesn't generate any errors in system log after 150 turns.
    -------------
    bad news is that removing the blank lines doesn't solve the problem with random_names sometimes being blank for spawned princesses.
    Last edited by Gorrrrrn; October 20, 2010 at 06:15 PM.

Why the Russian names are written with both Latin and Cyrillic letters ?

Quote Originally Posted by knight_12 View Post
    Why the Russian names are written with both Latin and Cyrillic letters ?
    It's a feature of SSNOP and a deliberate choice: I asked the guy who created the list to give some 'Russian flavour' to those names by replacing certain letters of the Latin alphabet with mostly similar Cyrillic ones - and he did a perfect job in my opinion.

A version with full-Cyrillic Russian names is also expected to be released, but that's a new feature I'd like to announce later...

It's a feature of SSNOP and a deliberate choice: I asked the guy who created the list to give some 'Russian flavour' to those names by replacing certain letters of the Latin alphabet with mostly similar Cyrillic ones - and he did a perfect job in my opinion.

A version with full-Cyrillic Russian names is also expected to be released, but that's a new feature I'd like to announce later...
    I get it now. Maybe 'cus I am bulgarian and my alphabet is Cyrillic it's why this looks really strange. Thanks for the answer mate. The full Cyrillic Russian names would be better by my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by knight_12 View Post
    I get it now. Maybe 'cus I am bulgarian and my alphabet is Cyrillic it's why this looks really strange. Thanks for the answer mate. The full Cyrillic Russian names would be better by my opinion.
    It would be more authentic for sure, but gameplay aspects must also be taken into account in this case, because players who don't know the Cyrillic alphabet (including myself) could not even pronounce names like Мстислав or Владимир.
    That's why I chose to use semi-Cyrillic names instead.

ly0_ly0's Avatar Miles

Default Re: The Stainless Steel Names Overhaul Project (SSNOP)

Fair Prince,im getting an ctd using this mod.What nao

I'm a rep whore so rep me already

Quote Originally Posted by ly0_ly0 View Post
    Fair Prince,im getting an ctd using this mod.What nao
    Have you put all the files into the correct folders?
    Have you started a new campaign? SSNOP breaks save-games.

ly0_ly0's Avatar Miles

Hmm i installed it right after i started a new camp....Sorry for the trouble.And if i may ask does this mod fix the 51 turn bug?

Hmm... I think the turn 51 CTD is present in SSNOP.
    Delete the bulgarian uprising in your campaign script to fix it.

ly0_ly0's Avatar Miles

Ok tnx Meneth