Thread: Power worries? Overpopulation issues?

Default Power worries? Overpopulation issues?

What about this for an ambitious solution to europe's problems?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atlantropa

Magno's Avatar Decanus

Default Re: Power worries? Overpopulation issues?

Interesting concept but I doubt it will ever come to be, especially in the modern environmental consciencous society.
    No heroes, no villains, only conflicting perspectives with regards to a specific object.

conon394's Avatar hoi polloi
    Colfax WA, neat I have a barn and 49 acres - I have 2 horses, 15 chickens - but no more pigs

What about this for an ambitious solution to europe's problems?
    Last time I checked Europe was struggling to sustain replacement rate reproduction and not all that happy about the immigration option what with all the Africans and Muslims
    Last edited by conon394; June 23, 2010 at 05:41 PM.
    IN PATROCINIVM SVB Dromikaites

'One day when I fly with my hands - up down the sky, like a bird'

But if the cause be not good, the king himself hath a heavy reckoning to make, when all those legs and arms and heads, chopped off in battle, shall join together at the latter day and cry all 'We died at such a place; some swearing, some crying for surgeon, some upon their wives left poor behind them, some upon the debts they owe, some upon their children rawly left.

Hyperides of Athens: We know, replied he, that Antipater is good, but we (the Demos of Athens) have no need of a master at present, even a good one.

Aru's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Most certainly not, Croatia will lose most of its coast which is of more worth then any land we would gain instead!

Other then that it's just not worth it. Entire Mediterranean coast lives of tourism, and most bigger cities are important ports. They would end up kilometers from the sea, the economic loss for current coastal areas would be enormous. Whole new stretch of industrial and tourist infrastructure would have to be built anew.

The shipping routes would be completely disrupted with closed Gibraltar, there would then be two choke points for ships: Gibraltar and Suez, the shortest route between eastern Atlantic and Indian ocean would become quite more expensive.

And then also the ecological concerns.

And considering that Europe can still hold quite more population then it does with proper planning and that most dense population centers (the "banana" from north Italy to England) don't border Medietarranean except in North Italy, there is simply no need for such project in foreseeable future.
    Has signatures turned off.

Turtle Hammer's Avatar Senator

That does seem like one of the more crackpot solutions for Europe to say the least, although I'm not sure this is in the right place. A better solution for Europe would be to crack down on immigration. Some people see it almost as their right to come here without bringing anything to the table without a thought for how burdonsome to the state, and thus, the people that they'll be. It needs to be strictly skills based, fill in the gaps we need, and those coming to eventually use loop holes to bring whole families over to milk benefits be turned away.

And while I'm pro EU, I think the ammount of people coming to the UK, earning money, then returning to poorer countries will damage the UK's economy since that money being earned here's not being put back in. I think the borders are too open for the sort of body the EU is, and would only really be appropriate in a Federalised Europe, which would most likely standardise everything and make this a moot issue.

Edit: I'm pretty sure this'll get moved by the way, which is why I got political. If not, forgive me.

Aru's Avatar Protector Domesticus

gigantic engineering and colonization project devised by the German architect Herman Sörgel in the 1920s and promulgated by him until his death in 1952.
    Put it in historical context. Back in 20's and 30's the vision of overpopulated Europe with massive energy problems was a serious possibility by the end of the century with growth and limited technologies of the start of the century. It's easy to be smart now when the growth, both in population and economy is slow or none, and technologies allow us to make more food on smaller area and house more people in dense, but quality housing. Add to that the current availability of nuclear and clean energy.
    Has signatures turned off.

Indefinitely Banned

quite simply
    give young couples incentives to have kids and a family earlier in life

Quote Originally Posted by Exarch View Post
    quite simply
    Plus increase medical possibilities/likelihood for kids latter in life. As current education necessitates that people with academic degree join the worforce with 25-30 years it is a large conflict for women that they have to build their career in a timeframe (let's assume 5-10 years) where they would have several children a generation ago.

It leads to a major conflict of life interests right there which are only difficult (and if the financial or work situation does not play out well) often impossible to align. There is still alot to contemplate if you want to optimize our societies to accomodate family and job to a sufficient degree that you don't have to choose between the two.
    "Sebaceans once had a god called Djancaz-Bru. Six worlds prayed to her. They built her temples, conquered planets. And yet one day she rose up and destroyed all six worlds. And when the last warrior was dying, he said, 'We gave you everything, why did you destroy us?' And she looked down upon him and she whispered, 'Because I can.' "
    Mangalore Design

Libertus

Quote Originally Posted by Exarch View Post
    quite simply

We did exactly that here in Australia. Going on a purely statistical level, our national birth rate was lower then our national death rate, the only thing keeping our countries population on the increase was immigration. So the government came up with a scheme to tempt people to have more childeren in the form of a $5000 cash in hand bonus for every new born child. The theory behind it was good, but now we have a tonne of young mothers that have dropped out of school/university in order to raise they're new baby and are living primarily off the welfare system. So all in all, the concept is costing the tax payer a hell of alot more then $5k a pop, but on the bright side. The last I heard our population is on the increase. SE.

Quote Originally Posted by Turtle Hammer View Post
    And while I'm pro EU, I think the ammount of people coming to the UK, earning money, then returning to poorer countries will damage the UK's economy since that money being earned here's not being put back in. I think the borders are too open for the sort of body the EU is, and would only really be appropriate in a Federalised Europe, which would most likely standardise everything and make this a moot issue.me.
    immigrants taking money from your country and moving it to theirs is good for your economy and bad for their own

Nikos's Avatar VENGEANCE BURNS

Moved to alternate history.

-Nikos
    Learn about Byzantium! http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...Toward-Warfare
    Civitate
    ,Ex Content Writer,Ex Curator, Ex Moderator

Proud patron of Jean=A=Luc
    In Patronicum sub Celsius

Personally, I think it is a fantastic idea.

In the past, conflicts and disease solved overpopulation and power worries.
    "The future's uncertain And the end is always near."

♔Goodguy1066♔'s Avatar Praeses

Who would build it, the Spaniards? Lol, they've been building a church for 130 years and they're barely halfway through!
    A member of the Most Ancient, Puissant and Honourable Society of Silly Old Duffers
    Secret Sig Content Box!

Both male and female walruses have tusks and have been observed using these overgrown teeth to help pull themselves out of the water.

The mustached and long-tusked walrus is most often found near the Arctic Circle, lying on the ice with hundreds of companions. These marine mammals are extremely sociable, prone to loudly bellowing and snorting at one another, but are aggressive during mating season. With wrinkled brown and pink hides, walruses are distinguished by their long white tusks, grizzly whiskers, flat flipper, and bodies full of blubber.
    Walruses use their iconic long tusks for a variety of reasons, each of which makes their lives in the Arctic a bit easier. They use them to haul their enormous bodies out of frigid waters, thus their "tooth-walking" label, and to break breathing holes into ice from below. Their tusks, which are found on both males and females, can extend to about three feet (one meter), and are, in fact, large canine teeth, which grow throughout their lives. Male walruses, or bulls, also employ their tusks aggressively to maintain territory and, during mating season, to protect their harems of females, or cows.
    The walrus' other characteristic features are equally useful. As their favorite meals, particularly shellfish, are found near the dark ocean floor, walruses use their extremely sensitive whiskers, called mustacial vibrissae, as detection devices. Their blubbery bodies allow them to live comfortably in the Arctic region—walruses are capable of slowing their heartbeats in order to withstand the polar temperatures of the surrounding waters.
    The two subspecies of walrus are divided geographically. Atlantic walruses inhabit coastal areas from northeastern Canada to Greenland, while Pacific walruses inhabit the northern seas off Russia and Alaska, migrating seasonally from their southern range in the Bering Sea—where they are found on the pack ice in winter—to the Chukchi Sea. Female Pacific walruses give birth to calves during the spring migration north.
    Only Native Americans are currently allowed to hunt walruses, as the species' survival was threatened by past overhunting. Their tusks, oil, skin, and meat were so sought after in the 18th and 19th centuries that the walrus was hunted to extinction in the Gulf of St. Lawrence and around Sable Island, off the coast of Nova Scotia.