Page 60 of 65 FirstFirst ... 103550515253545556575859606162636465 LastLast
Results 1,181 to 1,200 of 1288

Thread: Preview of Third Age - Total War 2.0

Default Re: Preview of Third Age - Total War 2.0

Quote Originally Posted by traxx91 View Post
    One unit of Fountain Guards can not kill 2 units of Olog-Hai. Not on Very hard, the difficulty TATW is supposed to be played... Just tested it, lost all of them, only 8 trolls died...

I can do this in Vanila and in RR\RC,I think you used FG in Phalanx+hold position-D,and let them to atack with all speed R

Ayleid's Avatar Biarchus

Quote Originally Posted by son of romans View Post
    This formation will not be breaken by man or AI,Rhun have tried with 4 bodyguards,2 lok-inasrim,3 spearman,4 heavy rhun infantry and ,4 arcers elite,2 halberdman one horse arcer
    Yes, this formation will not be broken, due to the fact you are playing on a difficulty less than VH, you are using far more soldiers than your enemy and you are using higher quality units than your enemy. 2700 heavy Gondorian soldiers vs 1950 Rhun, would suggest you are always going to win as you can 'envelope' your enemy with high quality soldiers. Unlike Mordor & Isengard who need the numbers for balance, Gondor gets lower unit sizes because they are heavily armoured which in the long run, makes them more effective. Plus, it has been said already, the only reason your pikemen are effective, at all, is because you go on the defensive and use them correctly. The AI Can't do this. They mismatch their soldiers all over the place.

Getting back on topic, will the 2.0 release include various 'RPG' themes added by mods, such as Middle Earth Enhanced and RC/RR? I wouldn't have assumed it would make the files much bigger as the documents for traits & Ancillaries aren't that big in themselves.

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Last edited by Ayleid; July 19, 2010 at 10:01 AM.

You have seen what units have Rhun,they crushed my cavalry,gondor infantry,citadel guard,gondor spearman-only pikeman survived,I neutralized enemy lock-arcers with generals,AI have hited not direct in pikeman but in rest of infantry,Rhun bodyguards from RR\RC have kiled a giant part of my cavalry but I can't react becaused now I not on my pc,this one is quite slow

I can do this in Vanila and in RR\RC,I think you used FG in Phalanx+hold position-D,and let them to atack with all speed R
    Nope. No Phalanx and no hold position. I dont believe that you can do this in vanilla on very hard... Dont know about RR/RC, I only play vanilla TATW.

I think its generally strange to talk about TATW when you use some kind of mod for it like RR/RC. Its not the same game, there is a totally different balance...

Quote Originally Posted by traxx91 View Post
    Nope. No Phalanx and no hold position. I dont believe that you can do this in vanilla on very hard... Dont know about RR/RC, I only play vanilla TATW.

I think its generally strange to talk about TATW when you use some kind of mod for it like RR/RC. Its not the same game, there is a totally different balance...

Very good just I now showed it in RR\RC because it seems like most of people plays it,I too play mainly in Vanila but I not at home-3000km distance,in Vanila I made custom battle with same result-I chek all units against all enemies ,some strategy I told to you just you need not to panick and respond to charge with charge.

Indefinitely Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Ayleid View Post
    Yes, this formation will not be broken, due to the fact you are playing on a difficulty less than VH, you are using far more soldiers than your enemy and you are using higher quality units than your enemy. 2700 heavy Gondorian soldiers vs 1950 Rhun, would suggest you are always going to win as you can 'envelope' your enemy with high quality soldiers. Unlike Mordor & Isengard who need the numbers for balance, Gondor gets lower unit sizes because they are heavily armoured which in the long run, makes them more effective. Plus, it has been said already, the only reason your pikemen are effective, at all, is because you go on the defensive and use them correctly. The AI Can't do this. They mismatch their soldiers all over the place.

Getting back on topic, will the 2.0 release include various 'RPG' themes added by mods, such as Middle Earth Enhanced and RC/RR? I wouldn't have assumed it would make the files much bigger as the documents for traits & Ancillaries aren't that big in themselves.

Son of romans is a defence player i guess, spearmen are definately needed at some stage, especially to support the AI if agasint a human player. I always take a balanced stacked so i can deal with everything, the only thing i don't take actually is siege weapons, if the enemy have siege i will the close the distance with them, but obviously not like the charge of the light brigade, but i suppose forget it now, they won't be in for 2.0 and hopefully will work well with the rest of the roster, but as Swarbs said, they won't in multiplayer.

thou im still for havin all arnor units march at one pace im gonna wait until 2.0 out then nag these forums for spearmen lol

------
    whats "Middle Earth Enhanced"?? im never tried RR/RC tbh, but may try it if they release a 2.0 version, ill rather they kept it clean for now thou, by addin sub mods can cause more bugs and further delays dude, but i know nothing of moddin, so mabey can be implemented in without to much fuss

Boys here is scrinshot how should look your Fountain Guard before battle,again at very hard in RR\RC,I wan it even better.In Vanila I definetly can do it again,wait a moment.

And I am not a defence player,just when enemy wont to rush in full speed in my spear,I won campaign with HE in 39 turns it means that I know how to make the best ofensive on my enemies,SE,OMM,Rohan,Mordor,Dale,Eriador

AgentGB
    whats "Middle Earth Enhanced"?? im never tried RR/RC tbh, but may try it if they release a 2.0 version, ill rather they kept it clean for now thou, by addin sub mods can cause more bugs and further delays dude, but i know nothing of moddin, so mabey can be implemented in without to much fuss ----It is dificult,very dificult and RR\RC is not the best mode for fast ofence.
    Last edited by son of romans; July 19, 2010 at 11:37 AM.

Indefinitely Banned

Boys here is scrinshot how should look your Fountain Guard before battle,again at very hard in RR\RC,I wan it even better.In Vanila I definetly can do it again,wait a moment.

yeah thats how i deal with trolls too, set them to loose formation, helps asborb a troll charge

but would usually use a fodder squad like spearmen or mililta to hold them in place, while my pelga marines give them a volley

how is the progress coming along?

no new problems leading to these kinds of reactions?:

k

will the book the hobbit be included in the fellowship campaign? and it would be cool to have a dragen ( make it a huge 4 legged vertion of a bazityme flamethrower).

boboav's Avatar Decanus

Very good!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!When it will be ready?
    Modder of "Bellum Crucis" and "De Bello Mundi"

NOW, i just kidding

Dutch-Balrog's Avatar Domesticus

Quote Originally Posted by Swarbs View Post
    Again, a very effective formation against the AI, but a skilled human player will just bring elite archers and artillery and just sit back whilst they wither your fountain guards (who have no shields IIRC) into oblivion. This is another army that is only really effective at camping, which works against the AI but will be picked apart by skilled human armies able to manouevre effectively.
    I had 5 groups of archers too so that wouldn't be such a problem.

Indefinitely Banned

And I am not a defence player,just when enemy wont to rush in full speed in my spear,I won campaign with HE in 39 turns it means that I know how to make the best ofensive on my enemies,SE,OMM,Rohan,Mordor,Dale,Eriador

AgentGB
    whats "Middle Earth Enhanced"?? im never tried RR/RC tbh, but may try it if they release a 2.0 version, ill rather they kept it clean for now thou, by addin sub mods can cause more bugs and further delays dude, but i know nothing of moddin, so mabey can be implemented in without to much fuss ----It is dificult,very dificult and RR\RC is not the best mode for fast ofence.

Makes it harder you say!! hmmm, now im interested lol im sure i can put together a good attacking stack if that was the case lol

i doubt they will thou, mabey for 2.1? 2.0 got enough to look forward to atm, and will need more testing but some spearmen for Arnor would be good lol , just take the "men at arms" and give them some fountain guard spears, make them one handed.

Quote Originally Posted by dikkelul3bier View Post
    I had 5 groups of archers too so that wouldn't be such a problem.
    True but, if I see your formation correctly, no cavalry so artillery will murder you, particularly given how tightly packed you are - aim at the centre of the box and every shot will hit something. Also, your archers are in the centre, so enemy archers will be able to pick your pikemen off without being in range.

Anyway, we could debate this all day. My argument is simply that no one formation will be enough to defeat all attacking armies - a good player must have variation if he wants to throw down with a human, and not a predictable and flawed AI. If you accept that argument as true, then you will likely also agree that pikemen alone are not enough, they need to be supported be spearmen or they will always be vulnerable when manouvring.

Indefinitely Banned

True but, if I see your formation correctly, no cavalry so artillery will murder you, particularly given how tightly packed you are - aim at the centre of the box and every shot will hit something. Also, your archers are in the centre, so enemy archers will be able to pick your pikemen off without being in range.

Anyway, we could debate this all day. My argument is simply that no one formation will be enough to defeat all attacking armies - a good player must have variation if he wants to throw down with a human, and not a predictable and flawed AI. If you accept that argument as true, then you will likely also agree that pikemen alone are not enough, they need to be supported be spearmen or they will always be vulnerable when manouvring.
    lookin forward to doin battle against you Swarbs

Now I am totaly agree pikeman are very good but not enought to win a battle against various tipes of units,I just try to say that betwen infantry in defence they are the best.

Quote Originally Posted by AgentGB View Post
    lookin forward to doin battle against you Swarbs
    Hmmm, I have a feeling I've set myself up for a pwning... I should point out that I am a competent player, but not a very good one. I am strong on strategy, but mediocre on execution. There, now I've got my excuses in early, I won't feel so bad when I lose!

EDIT:
    Now I am totaly agree pikeman are very good but not enought to win a battle against various tipes of units,I just try to say that betwen infantry in defence they are the best.
    I would say that when attacked head on they are the best. When attacked from the side or from behind they tend to dissolve pretty quickly, whilst spearmen and swordsmen would be able to turn quicker and fight better.
    Last edited by Swarbs; July 19, 2010 at 02:34 PM.

Indefinitely Banned

Hmmm, I have a feeling I've set myself up for a pwning... I should point out that I am a competent player, but not a very good one. I am strong on strategy, but mediocre on execution. There, now I've got my excuses in early, I won't feel so bad when I lose!
    lol!! haha! ill save the gloating for later!!
    (starts to prepare tactics in dread)

I agree with Seleukos_I. if anything do what I'm doing to pass the time faster...read a book. I myself just bought some of Tolkins books an just finished "The Silmarillion" and am now starting up on "The Children of Hurin". If anything let them take their time on it to make sure that they feel comfortable with putting something out there that they (the makers of this) will be proud of knowing that it will bring many hours of good wholesome fun for all to enjoy.