I'll share some thoughts i've been having on having-good-units-at-the-beginning-of-the-campaign
I've only considered naval units - cus that's what i'm more interested in, and i'm not sure how this would constitute changes for land units, and more for ETW than NTW cus of timeframe, but I was thinking: instead of making ships classified as "first rates" for example, classify them due to their class, like Temeraire class being a later and infinitley more advanced class than [i'm not sure of what class the first HMS Victory that was lost was], for example. This way one can use good ships early on, but they would suck in comparrison to later ships. This also follows history and how ships like the old HMS Raisonable were kept in service through the Napoleonic wars as flagships, but even as a 64 gun ship it sucked ass, and wouldn't have been pitted against a 32 gun frigate, due to its unsturdy frame etc. I know its impossible to create a model for the first rates of the early 18th century, cus they looked SO different to the later ones featured in the game, but the stats could be recreated, and with new naval innovation researched new classes of ships would become available. This is very doable, but not sure if its possible to make the older classes obsolete with new technologies, or if construction could only be linked to the building itself.

some feedback sil vous plait.

Cheers,
Le Loup des Mers.