Thread: Unit Stats?

Default Unit Stats?

Hi all,

Have the unit stats been revised at all for the new release? In the beta the stats seemed pretty similar to the way that stainless steel works. Will this still be the case?

I play Stainless Steel RR/RC....and it can be a pain at times...but I love the way the unit stats work.

Kights become pure wrecking machines when unleashed upon lesser units.....and Westeros has this feel as well.

Having the damage based upon energy delivered to the target is amazing. The armor system is also great.

Obviously I do not know what direction development has gone in the mod....but is it still similar to SS?

Lots of questions, but hey I am curious.

Darkstar's Avatar Senator

Default Re: Unit Stats?

After the unit rosters are finalized we will be using the Real Combat system to revise all unit stats. The RC system will be implemented as a "general rule" because we will obviously need to change some stats in order to balance the factions properly and make sure the stats for each unit fit within Westeros.

The exception to this is unit costs and upkeep. We are using our own system for this which is needed to balance the economy.

We are also heavily balancing units through the recruitment pools. E.g Knights will be very rare, and most armies will consist of levies and some professional troops.

Quote Originally Posted by Darkstar View Post
    After the unit rosters are finalized we will be using the Real Combat system to revise all unit stats. The RC system will be implemented as a "general rule" because we will obviously need to change some stats in order to balance the factions properly and make sure the stats for each unit fit within Westeros.

The exception to this is unit costs and upkeep. We are using our own system for this which is needed to balance the economy.
    Nice, keep up the great work!!! This mod is going to be mind blowing when it is finished.

Quote Originally Posted by Lordinquisitor View Post
    We are also heavily balancing units through the recruitment pools. E.g Knights will be very rare, and most armies will consist of levies and some professional troops.
    I wonder if there are exceptions to this rule: like, for example, the rate at which knights are recruitable could be faster in each of the major house seats. (I secretly want a unique knight unit from every castle in westeros that you can only have one of, like the canons of the sepulcher unit from the crusades mod of kingdoms, with new banners that have unique sub-banners using the various coats of arms of the diffrerent castles!!!!!! It would be EPIC)

That would require an ungodly ammount of modding. I think they are doing a limited number of AOR units, but not for every castle.

It would be cool, but would also require a huge ammount of micro management to retrain each unique unit in its own castle.

I think we certainly could alter the availability of certain units in certain settlements.
    We haven`t worked out that part yet, though, as we are first skinning the factions.

I have another question related to Units: Will the low tier units (cheap trash) have multiple weapon types? (For example: An armed peasentry unit that has pitchforks, pickaxes, axes, and spears. Or a Riverlands Infantry unit --slightly better quality-- with axes+shield, maces+shield, battle axes, and swords.) I realize that a spearmen unit should have all spears and that they should fight better but there really should be "Infantry" units that have multiple types of arms (This was one of my main draws to M2TW over RTW when I played the M2tw demo.). "Swordsman" units always bothered me because you don't throw away the wealth that goes into a sword by giving it to, what amounts to, a tin foil peasant, let alone 120 tin foil peasants. It is my opinion that there should only by axemen (Ironmen/wildlings) and spearmen units which use one weapon exclusively. Other than that the infantry should have various weapon types!

Alone Elf's Avatar Biarchus

You'll be happy to hear that most of the units have various weapon types.

Cool. What type of units have the mixed weapons? Is it mostly lower tier units or most of them?

This may may seem like a stupid question but will the individual weapons have their own damage? So in one unit will axe men do ap damage, and the swords slashing damage?

Thanks!

No, it is impossible to have such mixed values.

Mostly low to medium tier units have such mixed weapons. E.g peasants, or Men at arms.

The Weapons also vary from faction to faction. Northern peasants will have less pitchforks than southern ones, for example. (Because there is less suitable farmland in the north.) There are all kinds of weapons, rusted and new swords, axes, pitchorks, hammers, clubs etc. (Some of them were tools they used at home, others they looted from the dead.)

I think it`s good to post a screen of the ironborn peasants, created by damphair, in order to illustrate the variation:

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Last edited by Lordinquisitor; July 16, 2010 at 01:43 PM.

Er....picture isn't working.

But the weapon mix sounds cool!

Well, here it works. :?

Nope. All I see is the x where the picture should be.

garakga's Avatar Foederatus

Yep I cant see it either

Does it work now?

Yeah it is working now. Nice screen! This looks so amazing compared to the current version!!!