Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Your Best Victories or Worst Defeats

Default Your Best Victories or Worst Defeats

I was playing as Stannis and thought I had to make a thread for this on Westeros: Total War. Every other good mod has them.

I was still early starting out on the campaign, but I already held the Iron Throne and was at war with Renly's armies. He had more time to build and his army and mine was building and recovering, but launched an assault on Renly. They were strong, but I had Stannis Baratheon and my best general Lester the Brave. I conquered the northern Stormlands with minor casualties and told Lester to continue on with half his army as a scouting force. Meanwhile, Stannis seized Storm's End and Griffin's Roost, but Renly was still out there. I sent Lester through the forests of the southern Stormlands, and finally found Renly, or he found me. Although his northern armies no longer existed, he had been building up in the south, and his armies were ready. He had 1800 soldiers verses my 600 soldiers. At the end of the battle Renly's cavalry was destroyed and the infantry were discouraged by the death of their general. I ordered my cavalry for a final charge that sent Renly's armies back into the forest.

Renly's heir had no armies left to spend and he died a few turns later by the sword along with his last refuge.

Default Re: Your Best Victories or Worst Defeats

And this proves that stannis should have attacked kings landing and not
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    his brother

Quote Originally Posted by Lordinquisitor View Post
    And this proves that stannis should have attacked kings landing and not
    his brother

I know, I did I had already destroyed Joffrey and was rebuilding to fight Renly

Now I lost a Tyrell army at Hammerhorn to an autoresolve... along with Loras

That sucks. How many men did you lose? And how big was the enemies army?

I lost 2000 men and his army was bigger. Probably 5000 including reinforcements.

I had 3000 by the way.

Let this be a lesson kids... DON'T AUTORESOLVE!

If you do, save before the battle.

Today I fought valiantly against overwhelming odds and heavily damaged King Joffrey's army.

I had 34 bodyguards including Renly's adopted son. Joffrey had 1300 men, mostly archers. I charged him full on and killed most of his pikemen before I was overwhelmed.

In the end one knight survived, but I killed 180 pikemen that day.

Then the Royal Army came and sent his royal dick-weed back to Rosby.

Another happened awhile ago when I fought a Lannister, or... uhm Joffrey army with a small group of Ironmen led by an almost rebel general. I sent the Ironmen Warriors out to hold them for a while. Then when the reinforcements got close enough I ordered more Heavy Axemen into the fray while my cavalry and other swordsmen charged the rear. I pushed them so close together they could barely move, and the slaughter began...

There were 284 Ironmen and about 800 Crownlanders led by Tyrion (who lost his life that day).

EDIT: I lost 14 men that day, all Ironmen Warriors.
    Last edited by Heart of Madness; September 10, 2010 at 02:48 PM.

Cavalry? Enjoy your greyjoy cavalry as long as you can.

Yeah, I know, but this is the beta version. Only in betas will Greyjoys ever get cavalry.

Well, due to the AOR system youshould be able to recruit cavalry once you take a few settlements. There will also be mercenaries, so don`t worry.

I stuffed a full stack of Stannis' or Renly's (cannot remember who) using only 2 units of Arryn heavy cavalry and 1 spear (hard battle difficulty) since they brought 18 2H-swordsmen and only 2 cav of their own. Sure, only three or four of my knights made it out alive but it still rocked. Lure them into a strung-out march, charge, withdraw, repeat. Another time I remember was destroying the Greyjoys (no cav) in three battles over one turn using only the North's starting cav units. Just hung around on the coast until Balon and his cursed spawn landed then nuked them. Three battles, three heroic victory map markers. Of course, none of this will be repeatable once v1.0 arrives, just as I couldn't do it in Stainless Steel for example, but I still felt mighty.

Quote Originally Posted by Vegan Rob View Post
    I stuffed a full stack of Stannis' or Renly's (cannot remember who) using only 2 units of Arryn heavy cavalry and 1 spear (hard battle difficulty) since they brought 18 2H-swordsmen and only 2 cav of their own. Sure, only three or four of my knights made it out alive but it still rocked. Lure them into a strung-out march, charge, withdraw, repeat. Another time I remember was destroying the Greyjoys (no cav) in three battles over one turn using only the North's starting cav units. Just hung around on the coast until Balon and his cursed spawn landed then nuked them. Three battles, three heroic victory map markers. Of course, none of this will be repeatable once v1.0 arrives, just as I couldn't do it in Stainless Steel for example, but I still felt mighty.
    Great! What strategy did you use to beat the Ironborn? When I play as the Ironborn I always charge the front with Heavy Axemen and Axemen. Then I bring the cavalry around the rear flanked by spearmen. Next I form a powerful charge right into the center's back, and the spearmen each fight at least one unit of enemys at a time. With luck, the enemy's line starts to collapse and I kill the ones fighting to the death.

I had 5 armies camped outside of Dorne. I was playing as the Ironmen, but I gave all my territories in the south to Stannis. All my garrison in the Reach was emptied into 5 camps outside of the Prince's Pass. All of a sudden Gerold Dayne comes up and surprises my smallest camp, far away from all the others. The next turn I lose my scout army with my Greyjoy cavalry, oh well.

I won a close victory as the Starks. Here's how it went:

Jon Umber was sent off to take Widow's Watch, but by the time he got there, a huge garrison of troops was already inside the castle. I set up my spearmen and withstood their cavalry charge, but my weak levies could barely stand against their sergeant infantry. My scouts swooped in to take the emptied castle, and my bodyguard performed charge after charge against surviving enemy cavalry and pursuing infantry. Right when I was about to win by taking the castle long enough, the Greatjon was killed in a suicide charge against spearmen to keep them from reaching the gates.

Anyways, I guess if you give up a person than it's possible to take a castle.
    Last edited by Heart of Madness; October 28, 2010 at 02:41 PM.

This one happened while i was playing the Kings of rivers and hills submod:

I had a 1000+ Arryn army (Low morale units), i attacked a small mudd army.
    Everything went ok until the enemy general tried to get past my left flank, he did it and attacked my crossbowmen.
    I charged at him with my general, and he ran, i chased him until my general was attacked by a unit of spear militia, the enemy general and the spear militia surrounded my general and killed him, shortly after all my men rout...
    I ragequitted.

Trot's Avatar Vicarius Provinciae

As Stannis my army of 500 men the starting units were heavily depleted as I had made the mistake of attacking Renly first. Stannis led my army it was against over 3000 of Renly's men. I lost the remainder of my army that day killed around A thousand of Renly's men. I wiped out his first army to be killed by reinforcements. This was after another Battle against an Army of Renly's of equal size. Afterwards Stannis died and I ragequit.

The Forgotten's Avatar Domesticus

Once I was playing a Tyrell game on H/H. I took Slobber and Horror (that right?) up north to command my northern armies against the Lannisters. They got attacked on the way up by a small Lannister army made up of 1 longbowmen unit, and 3 levy spear units. I decided I would kill the archers and the bait the spearmen one by one with one general and charge from behind using the other general routing each unit at a time. Early on it went bad with the longbowmen some how taking a generals bodyguard from 15 or 16 down to 10. Then one general failed a charge and got trapped barely making it out with himself and 3 others alive.The other general (one in charge) had only about 7 units left. I had at this point routed the archers and severly hurt one spearman unit leaving the other 2 fairly whole. Then I finally got to bait one of the units and use my original plan. I charged them with the more hurt general and on contact lost one man causing that general to rout but he himself had not died. After this I was left with my main general and 4 other bodyguards. Down trodden that I had all but lost the battle I ordered him to charge full tilt at the nearest and weakest unit so he could either die in one last heroic charge or at least rout keeping him alive. Once they smashed into the enemy ranks who might I add had been running straight toward me with their spears not at the ready. I killed around 20 of their men and caused the rest of the unit to rout. Suprised I ordered lets just say Horror (as I don't really remember which one of them it actually was) to the far side of the map to regroup and rest. I wanted to try they frontal charge again to test it and see if it worked. Once my men had rested and the enemy was close enough I charged once again straight at the closest (running) unit. Same thing happend except the didn't quite rout and I lost one more man. Finding hope of actually winning I did this over and over again until only Horror remained standing and only half of a enemy unit remained. I charged and killed 5 or 10 guys and wheeled about for a second charge after enough room was betwwen them. That finally routed them and I won with only Horror left alive. He made me love playing the Tyrell.

P.S. Sorry for that wall of text.

Many thanks to the good folks down at the Graphics Workshop for the sig.

In my first game of WTW, on VH/VH, i landed Stannis with about 150 infantrymen, mix of Dismounted Knights, Men-at arms, spearmen and crossbowmen, all units severely depleted, 2 units of Stormland Knights, Alester and Stannis' bodyguards. I was attacked by 1800 Joffrey army, consisting of spearmen, militias, archers, dismounted knights and few knights. They approached me and started to rain arrows on me. I charged downhill with my infantry and engaged theirs. My men were desperately holding ground, with Joffrey men outnumbering them massively and enveloping around them. My Stormland knights attacked on left and fought various Joffrey infantry and cavalry, while Stannis and Alester were stuck in more Joffrey infantry. I desperately circled around them, trying to break through to help my infantry which was on a verge of routing. Finally Stormland knights managed to shake off their pursuers and charged into back of Joffrey men that fought with Alester and Stannis, and they broke after heavy fighting. They managed to draw some of enemy off my infantry, making them last a little longer. My cavalry continuosly flanked and surrounded clusters of Joffrey's men over the battlefield, steadily routing them one by one. My infantry, almost totally aninhilated, started to rout, when I killed their general. They started to rout then in large numbers. I cleared off any enemies around that remained, sending them into woods, and only 20 my Dismounted Knights were still fighting in main melee, when all my cavalry charged large mass of Joffrey men who were about to finish my infantry from all sides.
    Chain rout, i won and lost half my men, with Joffrey losing his largest army and giving me some air to breathe.
    This was on 0.53 alpha where cavalry charges are much weaker than in vanilla.

Since i was still in grips with Renly about Massey's Hook(castle was retaken few times by me and Renly) and Joffrey's armies still far outnumbered mine, and i had no means to retrain them(i was in debt), i shadowbabied Joffrey and Tommen and whole Joffrey's faction turned rebel . I never used shadows again, except to get rid of Cortnay Penrose.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast