Page 6 of 103 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415163156 ... LastLast

Thread: Civ 5

Ariovistus Maximus's Avatar Troll Whisperer

Default Re: Civ 5

Makes sense. It wouldn't be surprising if they're still working on some details.

Well I hope that I'm not kept from playing on opening day due to a big download. My connection is... well it doesn't belong in this decade. Actually I just upgraded to 1.5Mbps (which isn't that great either and rather shows you how bad my current connection is), but the people at Qwest haven't done anything about it for a week now.
    Land of the Free! Home of the

Thanatos's Avatar Now Is Not the Time
    Moderator Emeritus

I'm really excited for Civ V! Hopefully it will be better than IV, that wasn't so great. I loved III and the Conquests expansion pack.

One thing I'm very curious about though. Back in the beginning there was a lot circulating around about religion being "changed" or removed. Does anybody know anything about that? I haven't heard anything else about it.

EDIT: I looked for myself. Yeah, there's no religion aside from the "Piety" social policy, which is domestic. On the one hand it's kind of disappointing because religion has been such a huge historical factor, but on the other hand it makes sense from a gameplay perspective.

There were what - six religions in Civ IV? That's up to five civs that will be guaranteed enemies. Religion did make diplomacy pretty simplistic. Diplomacy without religion will have more to do with the player's choices and interaction with other civs.

Of course that does mean that I won't be able to spam shrines and make heaps of money...
    Last edited by Ariovistus Maximus; September 16, 2010 at 08:47 PM.

Petrov's Avatar Campidoctor

One thing I think will seriously change the series is no more 'Stack of Doom'.

Now that every unit takes up a hexagon tactics are going to be MUCH more important!!!

BTW will Civ 5 the Disc version be like NTW where you NEED steam to play? this is a good and bad thing, but I would like it to be a steam game. Because I have the same type of speed as Maximus and I really CBF downloading 8 gigs!

(Unless I preload which I might do...)
    Last edited by Petrov; September 17, 2010 at 01:12 AM.

likely it will require steam i believe.

If you have a connection to the internet its not a bad thing, auto updates for games and one button graphics card updates if they are needed.
    Swear filters are for sites run by immature children.

Akar's Avatar I am not a clever man
    Patrician Citizen

a 7/11 parking lot with Patron and LaCroix
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Kanaric View Post
    likely it will require steam i believe.

If you have a connection to the internet its not a bad thing, auto updates for games and one button graphics card updates if they are needed.

Realisticly most gamers who have a good enough computer to run civ 5 will have the internet.

Check out the TWC D&D game!
    Message me on Discord (.akar.) for an invite to the Thema Devia Discord
    Son, Heir, and Wartime Consigliere of King Athelstan

It's a Steam game. Hard copies ship with SteamWorks so you could preload over the weekend and save yourself the trouble of a disk. The big minus there is you won't get a hard copy manual either, but a PDF version.

FOUR MORE DAYS... FOUR MORE DAYS...

I feel like the Civilizations Anonymous people, only I want time to pass faster, not slow down!

LuckyLewis's Avatar Loutre
    Content Emeritus

I'm looking forward to it too, really like the one unit per title addition. However, I don't intend to win a game first time round through war and domination but peacefully with a great defence against the war hungry states.
    Muh signature is so out of date all muh pictures died.

I haven't really played a Civ game since Civ 2 which I loved. Lost interest in the newer Civ games the look just didn't strike a cord, didn't like the look of this one either but actually I might give it a go, not for a few months though.

thatguy's Avatar Domesticus

I preorded it, I shouldnt have because money is scarce - but I did it anyway.
    Plus, saved me ten bucks.

http://www.battledebate.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Rapax View Post
    Or perhaps you've been missing the point of modern warfare? Crush the enemy within a month and then fight an insurgency for the next 10 years..
    Quote Originally Posted by spl00ge View Post
    I just got 9 inches.

Well, reviewers are eating this game up which is a very good sign. Extremely positive remarks, very high praise, and lot's of mid-90's and 5 out 5 scores. Less then 4 days till my social life dies.

Scipio Afracanis's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Quote Originally Posted by Cougar109 View Post
    Well, reviewers are eating this game up which is a very good sign. Extremely positive remarks, very high praise, and lot's of mid-90's and 5 out 5 scores. Less then 4 days till my social life dies.
    I want to get this game, but I just bought another, only a few weeks ago.

Becoming an addict, got to feed the habit.....
    2010 ,2012,2014 World Series Champions: San Francisco Giants
    1962, 1989, 2002

Well to be honest there are two factors I like about civ 5 already.

There are no screenshots that show us ugly lands where every tile is covred with net of roads, I hope it will remain this way and roads-railroads wont cover every spot of the map, simply its more pleasant to watch and makes more sense to protect important transport routes. since there are no 100 tiles with railroad around.

and second - no religious nonsense, thank god. Game is already too abstract in my opinion. All those judaistic arabs, christian japanese and half of world bhuddist made game not very attractive for em aesthetically.
    Der Schlaf der Vernunft gebiert Ungeheuer

Manual it out for anyone interested, big one to (For these days at least) at 233 pages. Click "save link as", big file and might lag or crash your browser.

and second - no religious nonsense, thank god. Game is already too abstract in my opinion. All those judaistic arabs, christian japanese and half of world bhuddist made game not very attractive for em aesthetically.
    I actually liked the idea of religion, after all it's one of the major subjects that has shaped the various civilizations of our world. They just implemented in it a really bad way in IV, having way to much power over the diplomatic aspect of the game. It's one of those things where the greatest impact should be felt internally rather then externally, though a small bonus with a civ who shares your religion and a small hit with those who don't would make sense. Hopefully they'll try and tackle it again in an expansion.
    Last edited by Cougar109; September 17, 2010 at 10:25 PM.

About religion. I found it random disgusting crap. It was not culturally linked, didnt leave any impact on aesthetical side of civilization, they all were absolutely same and gave no different bonuses. Older religions always had edge over newer. And anyway Judaistic Arabs with Kremlin and Great wall is perhaps not serious or realistic in any possible way. I'd prefer then already "Team A with green religion and production and defense wonders" less nonsense - same gaming expreience.

*Reading manual

Effects of Difficulty
    “Prince”.is.the.middle.level..On.that.level.neither.you.nor.your.AI.opponents.get.any.particular.
    bonuses..On.levels.below.Prince.you.get.bonuses.in.happiness.and.maintenance.costs,.
    and.you.get.better.results.from.Ancient.Ruins..Barbarians.are.less.aggressive.and.less.smart.
    on.lower.levels,.as.well..
    On.levels.higher.than.Prince,.the.AIs.receive.increasing.bonuses.in.city.growth,.production,.
    and.technology..They.may.also.get.additional.starting.units.and.free.techs.to.boot..
    Way to go old pal Sid, so its still boring bonus cheats for player or AI. Howcome it s any different from... civ 1234?
    Der Schlaf der Vernunft gebiert Ungeheuer

Quote Originally Posted by Cougar109 View Post
    Manual it out for anyone interested, big one to (For these days at least) at 233 pages. Click "save link as", big file and might lag or crash your browser.
    Excellent! Thank you.

LuckyLewis's Avatar Loutre
    Content Emeritus

More reviews coming out everyday, all the reviews seem to be extremely positive but you would expect that from a Civ game.

Here is a nice video review for anyone bored:

http://www.gametrailers.com/video/re...ation-v/704829
    Muh signature is so out of date all muh pictures died.

Pnutmaster's Avatar Dominus Qualitatium

Quote Originally Posted by pickelhaube View Post
    About religion. I found it random disgusting crap.
    Random disgusting crap? That's quite an extreme reaction. I thought it was amusing to found religions. My Romans were always Confucians thanks to the Oracle at Delphi

But, Judaic Arabs? You know they once existed
    Under the patronage and bound to the service of the
    artist formerly known as Squeakus Maximus
    Stoic Pantheist of S.I.N

Jaketh's Avatar Praeses

Quote Originally Posted by LuckyLewis View Post
    More reviews coming out everyday, all the reviews seem to be extremely positive but you would expect that from a Civ game.

Here is a nice video review for anyone bored:

http://www.gametrailers.com/video/re...ation-v/704829
    looks amazing, and only 3 more days

MANY thanks for the manual, Cougar! It will help me make it through the dark days immediately prior to release.

So, some things I thought were interesting:

2.6GHz QUAD CORE RECOMMENDED!?! Steam said it was 1.8 for crying out loud! Why must Firaxis toy with my hopes of having a good play experience with my rig? I must now conclude that requirements tell me absolutely nothing and I must simply hope for the best on Tuesday.

Another thing I noticed was the resources. I knew that strategic resources would only supply a certain number of units, rather than unlimited as before. But the manual says one resource per unit! I think this is a good idea, really. I've been reading complaints that the 1UPT feature will make for excessively long turn times since we'll have to micromanage every unit. But this feature, and others such as the comments I've read about how units will not actually be destroyed as often, will balance that out. Basically it looks like Civ V is designed to have fewer units. So we aren't talking about hundreds and hundreds of units as we were before.

The next feature that looked really interesting is the ocean transport system. Units are their own transports, but they are helpless. This will make us use a sort of convoy system which will make naval warfare very interesting as well. Already I'm dreaming of choking my enemies with U-Boat Wolf Packs.

One thing that I really do find disappointing though, is that random events are gone. The negative ones were supposedly unfun is what I read. But they were never that bad; never game-changing, and they added so much variety! I can only hope that they will return in an expansion or mod.