Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Tyranids before the 31st Millenium.......

Default Tyranids before the 31st Millenium.......

I will split this topic into two areas of discussion:

1. What do you think would have happened if the Tyranids arrived in the Galaxy before the age of stife?

2. What do you think would have happened if the Tyranids arrived in the Galaxy during the Great Crusade?
    Art //

Default Re: Tyranids before the 31st Millenium.......

Unknown.

Humanity hadn't reached that far into the eastern fringes had they? Granted, Human tech was at its highest during this period that would've made them equivalent or superior to what the Tau are now plus their numbers. They probably would've been able to shrug off and defeat the Tyranid fleets.

During the Great Crusade? Probably along the same lines as they are now but easier to deal with since the Space Marines' numbers were greater and more unified. It would've given them a tough fight.

However, these hive fleets are only the vanguard. Against the actual might of the hive fleet we don't know but under Horus and the Emperor humanity might stand a chance during that period.

Hopit's Avatar Praepositus

@nameless humans of that age were far more advanced as tau is now
    1. during it humans had age of peace, mostly because their advanced tegnology and had beaten other races that attacked them with ease, I would say easy win
    2.heroic battles with thousands upon thousands space marines fighting against million and millions tyranids *orgasm*
    Last edited by Hopit; June 14, 2010 at 02:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by SgtScooter View Post
    If you went to the Skyrim forums you'll see a lot posts about how it's somehow been watered down and hampered by money men making the decisions. Fact is, it's a great game and people still complain. It's the same thing as the TW franchise.

The armies of Iron Men would decimate the Nids. I mean if they could defeat the Orkish empires and keep theem at bay so easily surely the Nids have no chance.

Still i'd rather see what a Space Marine Legion would do to a hive fleet. I mean if 1000 Ultramarines can kill a hive fleet imagine what 100,000 marines can do, especially when led by a primarch. I can imagine Angron personally killing a Bio-Titan. CHOP!!!
    Art //

Swarm lord? vs custode.
    I check into small hotel a few kilometers from Kiev. It is late. I am tired. I tell woman at desk I want a room. She tells me room number and give key. "But one more thing comrade; there is one room without number and always lock. Don't even peek in there." I take key and go to room to sleep. Night comes and I hear trickling of water. It comes from the room across. I cannot sleep so I open door. It is coming from room with no number. I pound on door. No response. I look in keyhole. I see nothing except red. Water still trickling. I go down to front desk to complain. "By the way who is in that room?" She look at me and begin to tell story. There was woman in there. Murdered by her husband. Skin all white, except her eyes, which were red. I tell her I don't give a . Stop the water trickling or give me refund. She gave me 100 ruble credit and free breakfast. Such is life in Moscow

hellheaven1987's Avatar Comes Domesticorum

Quote Originally Posted by Ulysses S. Grant View Post
    1. What do you think would have happened if the Tyranids arrived in the Galaxy before the age of stife?
    Tyranid cannot arrive due to massive warp storms within all Galaxy.

2. What do you think would have happened if the Tyranids arrived in the Galaxy during the Great Crusade?
    Probably screw Imperium, since Imperium in 41st Millenium is much stronger and unify than Imperium in 31st Millenium.
    Quote Originally Posted by Markas View Post
    Hellheaven, sometimes you remind me of King Canute trying to hold back the tide, except without the winning parable.
    Quote Originally Posted by Diocle View Post
    Cameron is midway between Black Rage and .. European Union ..

Quote Originally Posted by hellheaven1987 View Post
    Except Tryanids don't travel using the warp. Their mind exists through the warp but they sure as heck don't need to travel through the warp.

Probably screw Imperium, since Imperium in 41st Millenium is much stronger and unify than Imperium in 31st Millenium.
    I dunno, the tech level was much higher in the 31st millenium AND they were still somewhat united. Even then the Emperor would've just come out sooner then to help combat that threat.

Well before the age of strife (Which for the record i stated in my post) there was no massive warp storms in the galaxy. The storms appeared during the age of strife.

I doubt it. Especially because the Imperium was able to steamroller the galaxy in 250 years. Plus they have all of the Primarchs and the Big E himself to lead them. Not to mention thousands upon thousands of marines in one place all at the same time to fight the nids.
    Art //

Quote Originally Posted by nameless View Post
    Except Tryanids don't travel using the warp. Their mind exists through the warp but they sure as heck don't need to travel through the warp.
    No, I have read that Tyranid actually uses same Warp travel as Imperium, and also use Warp to communicate and give order.

I dunno, the tech level was much higher in the 31st millenium AND they were still somewhat united. Even then the Emperor would've just come out sooner then to help combat that threat.
    United in what way?? Horus Heresy style?? The tech level is also not as great as 41st Millenium since many STC were not found yet and many crucial weapons of Space Marines, such as Power Armor and Bolter, were all in inferior design. Lastly, there are actually five times more Space Marines in 41st Millenium (estimate around one million) than in 31st Millenium (twenty hundreds thousands).

Well before the age of strife (Which for the record i stated in my post) there was no massive warp storms in the galaxy. The storms appeared during the age of strife.
    There are some evidences suggest Tyranid did visit Galaxy before Age of Strife, although it seems that Eldar Empire has no such idea so probably it is not too serious. To be honest, it seems Tyranid's current goal is to reach Eye of Terror, and Imperium is just an annoying obstacle that prevent them to have biomass peacefully before reach Eye of Terror.
    Last edited by hellheaven1987; June 14, 2010 at 05:12 PM.
    Hellheaven, sometimes you remind me of King Canute trying to hold back the tide, except without the winning parable.

No, I have read that Tyranid actually uses same Warp travel as Imperium, and also use Warp to communicate and give order
    The Codexes and Tau beg to differ.

The Tyranids use a bioship called Narvhal which helps propel their fleet through faster-than-light travel using a system's gravity. It's not as fast but it's more reliable than the warp.

This is why during Hive Fleet Gorgon the Tau launched attacks to destroy as many of the Narvhal ships as possible to slow down the Hive Fleet's movements as they were losing.

United in what way?? Horus Heresy style?? The tech level is also not as great as 41st Millenium since many STC were not found yet and many crucial weapons of Space Marines, such as Power Armor and Bolter, were all in inferior design. Lastly, there are actually five times more Space Marines in 41st Millenium (estimate around one million) than in 31st Millenium (twenty hundreds thousands).
    My mistake. I meant in the age of technology or before the age of strife when tech level was at its peak which was the OP's original question.

To be honest, it seems Tyranid's current goal is to reach Eye of Terror, and Imperium is just an annoying obstacle that prevent them to have biomass peacefully before reach Eye of Terror.
    Can they even harvest Daemons?

The Codexes and Tau beg to differ.

The Tyranids use a bioship called Narvhal which helps propel their fleet through faster-than-light travel using a system's gravity. It's not as fast but it's more reliable than the warp.

This is why during Hive Fleet Gorgon the Tau launched attacks to destroy as many of the Narvhal ships as possible to slow down the Hive Fleet's movements as they were losing.
    Perhaps, but Gameworkshop also said that Hive Fleet Bohemonth used Warp Jump, hence Imperial fleet was able to caught them between two fleets and destroyed Bohemonth.

The more possible reason why Hive Fleet Gorgon use such traveling way is because Tau planents are generally very close, hence it does not require for a major Warp Jump. Imperium also does not use Warp Jump when the traveling distance is short.

My mistake. I meant in the age of technology or before the age of strife when tech level was at its peak which was the OP's original question.
    Before that there is no Imperium and mankind probably would not even meet Tyranid since Eldar Empire would babysit everyone.

No, I have read that Tyranid actually uses same Warp travel as Imperium, and also use Warp to communicate and give order.
    Well your wrong about this. The current fluff in the Tyranid Codex on page 19 states otherwise. I quote:

"Tyranid Hive Fleets do not travel through Warpspace. Nonetheless the Hive Fleets' incredible rate of advance belies the supposition that they arc bereft of a swift mode of travel. Whilst it is true that the Tyranids are constrained by sublight speeds whilst within the borders of a planetary system they are capable of far greater velocity when traversing interstellar space. That they can do so is thanks to a small almost innocuous vessel classified by the Imperium as a Narvhal. Unlike most Tyranid vessels a Narvhal is almost completely defenceless with little in the way of bio-weaponry and a comparatively thin protective carapace. A cluster of monofilament spines on the Narvhal's bow enable it to interpret a wide range of sensory input, including an unbelievably broad spectrum of gravimetric signals. Using these senses the Narvhal can detect planetary systems at incredible distances. It can then somehow harness that system's own gravity creating a compressed-space transit corridor through which the Narvhal, and nearby vessels can cover vast distances. This method cannot be employed near to strong gravitational forces as they drown out the more subtle traces that the Narvhal uses to navigate. As a result a Tyranid fleet must rely on more conventional propulsion in the final approach in some cases slowing their arrival by years or even decades. Whilst this combined propulsion method is slower than Warp travel it is infinitely more reliable allowing the Tyranids to conduct their implacable encroachment across the galaxy. The Narvhal's manipulation of a star system's underlying forces is not always without side effects. A prey planet will sometimes be subjected to earthquakes, solar flares, tidal waves and other natural disasters in the time between the Narvhal casting its gravitic snare and the Hive Fleet actually arriving. This only benefits the Tvranids' efforts, guaranteeing as it does that the defenders of the target world will still be wrestling with planetary disaster when the swarm arrives in orbit."

Well for one the access to high level tech is much better than in the 41st millenium. For example Land Raiders were available in huge numbers as there were Forge Worlds purely dedicated to building them. The weapons and armour were not really that inferior, in reality they were just new. What would you define as crucial weapons of the Space Marines?

As for the Numbers there were very similar. There is definately more than 200,000 marines back then as the Ultramarines numbered 250,000 men and the Word Bearers had around 140,000 before the Heresy. The other legions varied in size from around the 10,000 that the Emperors Children had and anything up to 100,000 men.

There are some evidences suggest Tyranid did visit Galaxy before Age of Strife, although it seems that Eldar Empire has no such idea so probably it is not too serious. To be honest, it seems Tyranid's current goal is to reach Eye of Terror, and Imperium is just an annoying obstacle that prevent them to have biomass peacefully before reach Eye of Terror.
    Well this thread is about what would happen if they arrived in the same numbers that they are in the 41st millenium.
    Art //

Faramir D'Andunie's Avatar Domesticus

Tech and numbers aside with the Emperor alive and kicking, able to command and make decisions, even go to fight with his Custodes would be a major advantage. And unlike the 41th millenium, Imperium could actually focus all of its forces to a Nid invasion.

Was humanity even unified during the dark age of technology? Extremely high tech would not mean much if most systems simply fought on their own. However, the Eldar would be able to pick the mantle to fight the nids.
    Any community that gets its laughs by pretending to be idiots will eventually be flooded by actual idiots who mistakenly believe that they are in good company.

Quote Originally Posted by hellheaven1987 View Post
    Perhaps, but Gameworkshop also said that Hive Fleet Bohemonth used Warp Jump, hence Imperial fleet was able to caught them between two fleets and destroyed Bohemonth.

The more possible reason why Hive Fleet Gorgon use such traveling way is because Tau planents are generally very close, hence it does not require for a major Warp Jump. Imperium also does not use Warp Jump when the traveling distance is short.

Before that there is no Imperium and mankind probably would not even meet Tyranid since Eldar Empire would babysit everyone.
    You heard wrong. Behemoth used the same Narvhal based travel as all Tyranid fleets. Behemoth was caught in a Warp Implosion when the flagship of the Imperial Battlefleet, Dominus Astra, rammed the Tyranid's largest ship and pulled both vessels into the Warp setting off a chain reaction that devastated the Hive Fleet as the Tyranid's ships were forcibly pulled into the Warp. Read up on the Battle of Macragge and you'll see.

EDIT: Wait a second, if a large Imperial flagship can create a Warp Implosion capable of destroying a Hive Fleet why don't the Imperium use this tactic instead of "Pullback-Exterminatus a planet-Wipe up the Tyranid remnants".

Quote Originally Posted by Faramir D'Andunie View Post
    Tech and numbers aside with the Emperor alive and kicking, able to command and make decisions, even go to fight with his Custodes would be a major advantage. And unlike the 41th millenium, Imperium could actually focus all of its forces to a Nid invasion.

Was humanity even unified during the dark age of technology? Extremely high tech would not mean much if most systems simply fought on their own. However, the Eldar would be able to pick the mantle to fight the nids.
    There was a kind of galactic confederation before the age of strife. I'd imagine it to be a bit like the Federation from Star Trek as they cooperated with Alien races rather than simply destroy them like the Imperium does. They had large armies. These were comprized mostly of AI robots such as the 'Men of Iron'.

Outlaw, i don't think they have enough Emperor Class battleships to just implode on themselves. Then again they could just stick a massive warp drive into small ships and use them like suicide ships.
    Art //

It only took one battleship to overload it's core on purpose.

Quote Originally Posted by Outlawstar15a2 View Post
    It only took one battleship to overload it's core on purpose.
    why dont they do that all the time? why cant the develop weapons to use in space or maybe they could just hurl empty ships and then detonate there warp drives.
    I check into small hotel a few kilometers from Kiev. It is late. I am tired. I tell woman at desk I want a room. She tells me room number and give key. "But one more thing comrade; there is one room without number and always lock. Don't even peek in there." I take key and go to room to sleep. Night comes and I hear trickling of water. It comes from the room across. I cannot sleep so I open door. It is coming from room with no number. I pound on door. No response. I look in keyhole. I see nothing except red. Water still trickling. I go down to front desk to complain. "By the way who is in that room?" She look at me and begin to tell story. There was woman in there. Murdered by her husband. Skin all white, except her eyes, which were red. I tell her I don't give a . Stop the water trickling or give me refund. She gave me 100 ruble credit and free breakfast. Such is life in Moscow

Carach's Avatar Dux Limitis

those battleships take a very long time to make apparently, and are by no means standardised.

the cheaper suicide warp ship thing would be better but im sure someone techy could come up with some excuse as to why this isnt viable (not enough room to cool reactors needed for warp things blah blah blah)

Quote Originally Posted by Carach View Post
    those battleships take a very long time to make apparently, and are by no means standardised.

)
    they could have various forge worlds make certian parts and then put them all together?

Quote Originally Posted by Outlawstar15a2 View Post
    EDIT: Wait a second, if a large Imperial flagship can create a Warp Implosion capable of destroying a Hive Fleet why don't the Imperium use this tactic instead of "Pullback-Exterminatus a planet-Wipe up the Tyranid remnants".
    That'd make things too easy and boring.

Stories are more interesting when you got millions of soldiers fighting their lives against billions of insect-like organisms out to eat you for breakfast compared to just nuking them

the cheaper suicide warp ship thing would be better but im sure someone techy could come up with some excuse as to why this isnt viable (not enough room to cool reactors needed for warp things blah blah blah)
    Well they could just make escort ships and have them carry the warp engines...granted any ship is capable of self-destruction by overloading their warp engines. It maybe that a battleship requires the largest of the warp engines.

And besides it's not like the Imperium would be so open to willingly sacrifice people to destroy mere hive fleets.
    Last edited by nameless; June 14, 2010 at 06:30 PM.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast