Thread: [NTW] The Budapest and the Bear - a Battle in NTW

Default [NTW] The Budapest and the Bear - a Battle in NTW

- As written about in "[NTW] Vive la liberté, a Naploeon Europe AAR"

January 1808 - Morning of the 15th

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

The sun was shining on a brisk January morning. The grassy plains surrounding the fortress glistening as the frost from the night before melted to the rays of shining light. Not a cloud in the sky, but for all that it there was a chill wind in the air, and none of the men were comfortable.

Least of all the men of the 2nd young guards, stationed on the walls to the Northeast of the fortress. We were the lucky ones - or so we were told by our trusty Lieutenant - to be stationed on the solid walls still standing from the siege not long ago. Yes, of course, who could doubt it. Lucky indeed to be on the walls, and not behind them, if I ever made it through this battle I should ask for a transfer.

This wasn't my first battle, nor any of the boys in our regiment. Indeed, admission to the guards required service and distinction, and unflinching loyalty to the state and the cause. With none other than Bonaparte himself behind us, we would die defending him before we surrendered. Still, as I strained my neck and looked around, I envied the line infantry and sharpshooters stationed inside the barracks.

For the better part of the previous night until the present - around 08:30 I reckoned - we saw the Russian army approach and set up cannons outside our walls. The morning light revealed formed up ranks of infantry, which could only mean they were going to attack us today. What sense of urgency or haste drove them to assault us the very next day we couldn't say - but we welcomed it, for the Russians were a far ways away from home and the troops must be tired after their long march.

Again looking back, I could clearly see that our forces were outnumbered. Along the walls, aside from us that is, were the 19th Regiment of foot. A battle hardened and experienced unit that guarded the south-western corner of the walls. Inside immediately adjacent to the east wall was the main barracks - windows smashed open - with rifles sticking out. Those would belong to the 27th regiment of foot. To the north of the barracks a tower much like the turret of a castle with stone walls rose three stories. There the sharpshooters were stationed, and in the space between chevaux-de-fries blocked the way. In the center of the fort - naturally - stood our beloved general Bonaparte. Around him facing towards the North were the 1st young guards regiment, to the south the 26th regiment of foot. There were two grenadier regiments stationed inside the building immediately against the west wall as well. Also in the center were the two batteries of howitzers that Napoleon had used in the siege of this very same fortress he was now defending. along the west walls and east walls were cannons loaded with canister shot. All in all, a very tight packed group of elite infantry and artillery, against two Russian armies.

I nearly forgot to mention the cavalry - there they were, mounted outside the walls in what was the single clump of trees in that entire field. A clump is hardly an appropriate term, after all, it could conceal - and did conceal - two whole regiments of lancers.

Puffs of white smoke off in the distance, followed by a thunderous booming sound signalled the start of the engagement.

January 15th - 1:30pm
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

When I awoke, it was 1:30pm - though I didn't know nor much care for the time of day just then. I had a throbbing headache, and a red haze clouded my vision. The boom of artillery shook me, and I remembered where I was and what was going on. I tried to get up, the room around me spun a few times before a set of strong arms gently pushed me back down onto the bunk. My heart rate was accelerated as my body reacted to the sudden shock of awaking mid-battle. I just had to breathe, big deep breaths in, long exhales out, big breaths in, long ones out - not too difficult once you got the hang of it.

The room stopped spinning, and the red haze cleared. The air was thick with the smell of musket powder, and Pierre, the leader of my company was standing over me. His head was bandaged, though the musket powder all over his face very nearly concealed it. I haven't any idea why I asked but Pierre's face broke into a grin when I said 'What is the time?'.

'It's half past 1 if you want to know my boy, you've been out for a couple hours'. I looked around curiously and gave him the "where the hell am I?" look. 'You are in barracks 1, surgery room - you took a nasty bump in the head when that wall came crashing down on you'.

Then I remembered - and rather I hadn't. The bombardment had been going on for some time, Russian infantry were advancing and the 2nd guards were engaging the troops from the ramparts when the walls began to buckle. The impacts from the continuous shelling made such a violent shaking motion that we never realized it when the walls finally did buckle underneath us. The last thing I saw was poor Jacque flying through the air. 'How many did we lose?' I braced myself to hear about the decimation of our unit. '40 dead, 20 injured including yourself' came the reply. All in all, not too bad a toll. ' Luckily the breach was very narrow, and most of our boys were able to make it off - you unfortunate soul were standing right on the center. If its any consolation to you, we drove the bastards back.' I would be sorely disappointed if we hadn't. Our howitzers were softening up the enemy infantry for 700 yards, and our muskets felled many of them. Still, to drive off 4 regiments of infantry with one fortified regiment and howitzer support was a feat to be proud of.

'But you're not badly hurt, a bump on the head, lost a little blood but now that your come to, here is your musket' he threw it on my chest ' and your hat' which he likewise with much sympathy placed on my head - read: that headache got worse. With a forced - and wholly unconvincing smile - I lifted myself up, steadied myself on Pierre's broad shoulders and asked where to be stationed. Pierre gave me a quizzical look, where to be stationed? The absolute ridiculousness of such a question struck me as soon as I heard the clamour outside. Shouts and screams of men locked in mortal combat. The Russians were through the breach, and the sharpshooters and line infantry were firing down on the enemy while our grenadier regiments held them off with steel and determination.
    Running with a speed that surprised even myself I made my way out of the surgery room, turned right down the hallway and into the nearest room facing west. One of the men from the 27th, who was manning the window immediately in front of me, silently slumped forward and holding his hands to his breast drooped onto the window, and reached that relaxed posture that only the dead could find.

With as much respect as the occasion allowed, I pulled the fallen soldier from his post. Brining my musket to firing position I scanned the courtyard for a target - there was no lack of targets. A large brute Russian was climbing up the earthworks set up by the 1st guards, tossing French soldiers about as though they were mere toys - a rage emanated from his eyes. I lined up my musket and aimed for the center of his enormous chest, steadied my breath and pulled the trigger. When the smoke had cleared, the Russian soldier was lying prostrate and still at the bottom of the earthworks that he had been climbing just moments before. A whole platoon of Russians at least broke right then and there, it wasn't quite a route but obviously his doom had a profound impact on one regiments morale.

Amidst the chaos of battle, Napoleon in his grey cloak was steadily issuing orders to his subordinates, more than one of his guard lay dead about him, yet neither fear nor despair could be seen on his face - shaded now by the waning sun in the west. The day was getting on, the battle dragged on and on - the breach was won and lost many times, and my fingers burned from the relentless and incessant reloading of ball and powder.

The air was eerily still, the clap and thunder of artillery had for the moment subsided. Our own crews were devastated when their positions were engulfed by the melee, the enemy guns I could only guess were overrun by our lancer cavalry during the course of the battle.

The fury of the assault petered out, the last of the Russian regiments withdrew. The battle was reduced to sporadic exchanges of fire between our sharpshooters now on the walls, and retreating formations of infantry - until eventually all was quiet. Only the cries of the wounded, and the sharp barking of orders were heard as men scurried about bearing stretchers, ammo crates or fallen comrades.

Pierre tapped me lightly on the shoulder, I turned around and saw my old friend - bleeding from a giant gash in his arm, a bayonet strike no doubt, wincing in pain. We had been relieved for the night, the enemy was retreating.

I helped Pierre with assistance from one of the men of the 26th regiment - who knows how he found himself here - to the surgery room, and stayed there with him until slowly I dozed off. I had survived yet again, and luckily for my Lieutenant, the thought about the transfer had completely escaped my mind.

dezikeizer's Avatar Campidoctor

Default Re: [NTW] The Budapest and the Bear - a Battle in NTW

Great job with the battle scenes. Just a couple things:
    Brining
    Shouldn't that be spelled: Bringing?
    A large brute Russian
    That would probably sound better as: A large Russian brute.

Default Re: [NTW] The Budapest and the Bear - a Battle in NTW

LOL, Yes ma'am . Bringing was the intended word - the character had no intention of eating his musket which would make Brining a rather useless action. But it does explain how spellcheck missed it