Page 65 of 313 FirstFirst ... 154055565758596061626364656667686970717273747590115165 ... LastLast
Results 1,281 to 1,300 of 6248

Thread: Crusader Kings 2

Ferdiad's Avatar Patricius

Default Re: Crusader Kings 2

Once you've played 1 Paradox game you can play them all.

Ketzerfreund's Avatar Domesticus

Not really. I can play CK1 and 2 and the EU series and HoI2 and even Crown of the North... But for the life of me I can't get into HoI3 (though that's mostly for the gigantic game start tedium) and Victoria (see HoI3).
    "Oh, to be truly happy! To be an imbecile." - Wobbly Headed Bob

Motivation/Willpower doesn't really mean you're incapable of playing it though. You have the technical ability.

Hi,

I've started playing CK2 recently and i really like it, but i've still some noob's questions :

I was playing a count, i successfully declared war to another count, beat his armie (350vs250 men, had 250 left after the battle) and made sieges on his county. I won the first siege (they were 99 vs 250) but i had another siege where they were 400 in defence so i could do nothing against them, their number was increasing while i wasn't able to raise more troups in my county.

How can they have so many troops ? Do we need to totally outnumber our opponent to take his land ?

Second question, My duc rebelled against my king so i had him into my ennemi list in the county description, i hired some mercenaries and told them to attack his main county, i beat his army, made a siege in his county but after that i've still didn't take control of his county but they were no more siege available, i had really a lot of troops but it was like i wasn't allowed to made more sieges.

What did it really happen ? can't i conquer the duché of a rebel ?

Excuse my english, i never write it a lot.

Longueval,

If you don't have more men than the defenders of the castle you can't siege.

What you can do:

1. Disband your army and raise it again at home -- to get the additional levies that were made available after you first raised it. (This may not be enough).

2. Hire mercenaries in the Military tab (upper left corner). You need at least 75 gold for this, plus 6 per month to pay them while you have them.

Retired moderator of TWC
    | Under the patronage of Atterdag

Yes i was aware of this, my question was more how he could have so many soldiers in def (400+100) while he made a levie before(250). When we levie an army do we have still a huge amount of soldier who stays in our land to defend it ?

hellheaven1987's Avatar Comes Domesticorum

Quote Originally Posted by Longueval View Post
    Yes i was aware of this, my question was more how he could have so many soldiers in def (400+100) while he made a levie before(250). When we levie an army do we have still a huge amount of soldier who stays in our land to defend it ?
    Probably because he got more money to build his castle, too bad for you then.

You probably want to:

1. Hire mercs.

2. Seek a white peace.
    Quote Originally Posted by Markas View Post
    Hellheaven, sometimes you remind me of King Canute trying to hold back the tide, except without the winning parable.
    Quote Originally Posted by Diocle View Post
    Cameron is midway between Black Rage and .. European Union ..

Quote Originally Posted by Longueval View Post
    A castle always have a garrison which is sustained even if the levy has been raised.
    Have you ever seen Dirty Harry Guns and money are best diplomacy
    "At a football club, there's a holy trinity - the players, the manager and the supporters. Directors don't come into it. They are only there to sign the cheques."

Bill Shankly

"Not badly, considering I was seated between Jesus Christ and Napoleon"

David Lloyd George was pleased with his performance at Versailles.

xcorps's Avatar Praefectus

Quote Originally Posted by Ishoss View Post
    A castle always have a garrison which is sustained even if the levy has been raised.
    All the holding types have an independant garrison. You can view the garrison size by clicking on the county. In the holdings picture you will see a red line for the garrison on the left and a green line on the right for the levy. Hover over the line for the actual numbers. The line represents the current strength.

Garrison size isn't related to levy size. Garrison is determined by holding type and improvements. Levy size has quite a few modifiers including crown law, levy law, holding type, desmense, and opinion.

Do not rely on your garrison for defense. If the attacker has enough forces to lay seige the only way the attacker wont win is if you get lucky and have a few good seige events that reduce the seige army strength below the garrison strength. Very rare. Also a failed assault will lose a seige, but I don't think the AI assaults.

Longueval, in order to win a war, you must eliminate your opposition desire to fight. At war, a portrait of your opponent will appear in the lower right. That number on the portrait is a measure of his war weariness. The closer to 100 you get, the more likely he will accept demands. You increase the war weariness by winning battles and occupying holdings. Strong rulers or people who really really hate you may not cede for years. Don't settle for a white peace unless you are forced to by events that make the war unaffordable. As long as you can manage to raise levies,keep at it.
    Last edited by xcorps; April 16, 2012 at 10:41 AM.
    "Every idea is an incitement. It offers itself for belief and if believed it is acted on unless some other belief outweighs it or some failure of energy stifles the movement at its birth. The only difference between the expression of an opinion and an incitement in the narrower sense is the speaker's enthusiasm for the result. Eloquence may set fire to reason." -Oliver Wendell Holmes Jr.

Ok thanks you i see the thing now, i'll watch a bit closer how buildings works.

Concerning my 2nd questions (about my rebel duc) i've searched a bit but i've found nothing.

If you are still at war, you will see the portrait at the bottom of your screen to he right of center. If there is no portrait, you are no longer at war. This can happen if the Duke who rebelled died. Check your event log.
    "Every idea is an incitement. It offers itself for belief and if believed it is acted on unless some other belief outweighs it or some failure of energy stifles the movement at its birth. The only difference between the expression of an opinion and an incitement in the narrower sense is the speaker's enthusiasm for the result. Eloquence may set fire to reason." -Oliver Wendell Holmes Jr.

Mangerman's Avatar Only the ladder is real

Quote Originally Posted by Ishoss View Post
    I think Paradox prides themselves in creating games where you have to learn everything yourself.
    The CKII tutorial (worst ever) is something else entirely though, it reaches whole new, previously unknown, levels of bad. All it does is show you where buttons are, not what the buttons do. Horrible tutorials probably another thing Paradox prides itself for

Musthavename's Avatar Bunneh Ressurection
    Somewhere in the room you're currently in.

Quote Originally Posted by Mangerman View Post
    The CKII tutorial (worst ever) is something else entirely though, it reaches whole new, previously unknown, levels of bad. All it does is show you where buttons are, not what the buttons do. Horrible tutorials probably another thing Paradox prides itself for
    Indeed, I don't know why people praise the CK2 tutorial so much. In at least two of the segments I ran into bugs which forced me to skip that part. It's better than EU3's used to be (i.e. the expansions broke it and they never bothered fixing it), but I remember Vic2's being far more informative.
    Give a man a fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of the day.
    Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

florin87's Avatar Campidoctor

that's because they designed the new tutorial system specifically for vicky II. problem is it only works with vicky.

Basarabia is Romanian!

Ciciro's Avatar Protector Domesticus

I finally completed a game of CK 2 without completely screwing up!
    I was playing as the House Trpimirovic and had finally succeeded in taking most of Greece and Italy until the Pope excommunicated me and everyone started invading.
    Last edited by Ciciro; April 16, 2012 at 04:46 PM.

Big War Bird's Avatar Vicarius Provinciae

Longueval,

THe first holding fell easy because you had already defeated the levy and only the castle garrison defended the castle. When you got to seiging the the town or bishopric, it was defended by the garrison and it lord's levy. Mayors, barons and bishops only raise a fraction of their forces when a lord raises the realm levies, so most of the troops stay at home to defend the holding, especially early in the game whne laws allow vassals to mostly ignore their lords.

If you start out as a single county count you won't be able to fully conquer another county without employing mercenaries or having allies.
    Last edited by Big War Bird; April 17, 2012 at 06:58 AM.
    As a teenager, I was taken to various houses and flats above takeaways in the north of England, to be beaten, tortured and raped over 100 times. I was called a “white slag” and “white ****” as they beat me.

-Ella Hill

Quote Originally Posted by Big War Bird

If you start out as a single county count you won't be able to fully conquer another county without employing mercenaries or having allies.
    That's not really true. I do it fine. Starting out take 10 years save the money for the first castle levy upgrade. This gives you time to fabricate your claim and more importantly to make nice with your barons, bishops, and mayors. I generally have almost double my neighbours' numbers when I take my first new county.

P.S. It also helps to marry a female retainer off matriarchially to El Cid, make him marshal, then have him train troops in your home county.
    Last edited by Ciabhán; April 17, 2012 at 06:53 PM.

Omar Nelson B.'s Avatar Senator

1.05 is out!
    "Ours is a world of nuclear giants and ethical infants." Omar Bradley
    Pics

Quote Originally Posted by Omar Nelson B. View Post
    1.05 is out!
    Some really good stuff in this patch. When is the character editor DLC coming out?

Quote Originally Posted by xcorps View Post
    Some really good stuff in this patch. When is the character editor DLC coming out?
    It's out and you can buy it in the game.