Page 55 of 313 FirstFirst ... 53045464748495051525354555657585960616263646580105155 ... LastLast
Results 1,081 to 1,100 of 6248

Thread: Crusader Kings 2

John I Tzimisces's Avatar Get born again.

Default Re: Crusader Kings 2

Quote Originally Posted by Musthavename View Post
    I simply can't get into this game.

I tried the Duke of Munster. I declared war on the guy I have a CB on. Defeated his armies... but had less men than his fort had so my siege wasn't doing anything. Worse, his fort was reinforcing, so I was screwed. I would've hired mercs but had no way of affording them. I can't get my head around what on earth I should be doing most of the time anyway because it's so character driven. Any tips would be appreciated, since I don't want to completely give up on this.
    Prior to taking anyone on in Ireland, rather than hiring mercs to make up the difference, use what gold you have to upgrade your counties (by which I mean the castles you personally control, not the cities or churches). Wooden palisade adds tax revenue, garrison/levy size, and fort level, and only costs 50 gold. Militia Training (I think) adds something like 100 troops (light infantry and archers) to a castle's levy (very helpful for bulking up your numbers), and costs 100 gold. If you want it to go faster (the wooden palisade takes at least a year, maybe more?) use your steward to oversee construction in that province (note: this only effects, specifically, holdings in a county that belong to you, not your barons/mayors/bishops).

nhytgbvfeco2's Avatar Praefectus

1)save up money for mercs before going to wars.
    2)start fabricating claims on a province you want at game start, such as breifne or kildare (which ever one bothers you)
    3)clicking on a title will show you claimants, once you invite one of these to your court you can invade a country to inforce his claim, making him either a vassal, independant, or just replacing the previous liege, depends on the title/claimant.

Manuel I Komnenos's Avatar Rex Regum
    Civitate

Quote Originally Posted by nhytgbvfeco2 View Post
    3)clicking on a title will show you claimants, once you invite one of these to your court you can invade a country to inforce his claim, making him either a vassal, independant, or just replacing the previous liege, depends on the title/claimant.
    I noticed that if they are not your de jure vassals, even if you press their claims they won't become your vassals. Thus, I can't get a foothold in Italy.
    Under the patronage of Emperor Maximinus Thrax
    "Steps to be taken in case Russia should be forced out of war considered. Various movements [of ] troops to and from different fronts necessary to meeting possible contingencies discussed. Conference also weighed political, economic, and moral effect both upon Central and Allied powers under most unfavorable aspect from Allied point of view. General conclusions reached were necessity for adoption of purely defensive attitude on all secondary fronts and withdrawing surplus troops for duty on western front. By thus strengthening western front [those attending] believed Allies could hold until American forces arrive in numbers sufficient to gain ascendancy."
    ~General Pershing, report to Washington, 26 July 1917

Ascarona's Avatar Praeses

Quote Originally Posted by Ferdiad View Post
    How many do you have
    About 12 I think... and 3 kingdom titles. Do those count as well?
    Quote Originally Posted by Manuel I Komnenos View Post
    I noticed that if they are not your de jure vassals, even if you press their claims they won't become your vassals. Thus, I can't get a foothold in Italy.
    Give them a holding before you press their claim, then when you conquer everything you need the regions will remain in your Empire.
    “Never forget what you are, for surely the world will not. Make it your strength. Then it can never be your weakness. Armour yourself in it, and it will never be used to hurt you.”

Vanoi's Avatar Dux Limitis
    Civitate

Just got Crusader Kings. And all i have to say is wtf why didn't i get this earlier? Its a really good game. Like it better than Victoria 2.
    Best/Worst quotes of TWC

Quote Originally Posted by Kyriakos View Post
    While you are at it, allow Germany to rearm, it's not like they committed the worst atrocity in modern history, so having a strong army can't lead to anything pitiful.

Big War Bird's Avatar Vicarius Provinciae

Quote Originally Posted by Musthavename View Post
    I simply can't get into this game.

I tried the Duke of Munster. I declared war on the guy I have a CB on. Defeated his armies... but had less men than his fort had so my siege wasn't doing anything. Worse, his fort was reinforcing, so I was screwed. I would've hired mercs but had no way of affording them. I can't get my head around what on earth I should be doing most of the time anyway because it's so character driven. Any tips would be appreciated, since I don't want to completely give up on this.
    When you start out as a lowly count or duke you definitely have to be patient for your opportunities. Judicious marriages and assassinations are a must. I started as count of Ulster and in 3 generations became King of Scotland with ony one war to take another province in Ulster to form the duchy. As duchess of Ulster I married the younger brother of the king of Scotland in a matrilineal marriage. I then proceeded to make sure my brother in law had no sons to succeed him. When the King of Scotland died my husband became king and my son the heir to both Ulster and Scotland.

I did have a marriage to the sister and heir to the queen of Wales, but unfortunately my homosexual king really didn't care to warm his wife's bed and they went childless and the opportunity to take the throne in Wales was lost.
    Last edited by Big War Bird; March 31, 2012 at 11:22 AM.
    As a teenager, I was taken to various houses and flats above takeaways in the north of England, to be beaten, tortured and raped over 100 times. I was called a “white slag” and “white ****” as they beat me.

-Ella Hill

Ferdiad's Avatar Patricius

Quote Originally Posted by Ascarona View Post

Give them a holding before you press their claim, then when you conquer everything you need the regions will remain in your Empire.
    You are mad.

John I Tzimisces's Avatar Get born again.

Quote Originally Posted by Ascarona View Post

Holy crap. With 12 ducal titles you're probably getting something like a -100 modifier to all of your vassals relations to you. Also no, Kingdom titles do not count against you. At least if you're a King, I don't know how it works with emperors since emperors don't seem to be able to create king level titles.

Civitate

Can anyone give me any tips on gaining caucus bellis? I am Count of Ossey in Ireland and really want to expand. I can't however due to no cacus belli to go to war with, and the fact it takes years to get enough gold to really do anything. I just want to expand to become a Duchy so things will become easier for me.
    Best/Worst quotes of TWC

While you are at it, allow Germany to rearm, it's not like they committed the worst atrocity in modern history, so having a strong army can't lead to anything pitiful.

hellheaven1987's Avatar Comes Domesticorum

Quote Originally Posted by Azoth View Post
    Can anyone give me any tips on gaining caucus bellis? I am Count of Ossey in Ireland and really want to expand. I can't however due to no cacus belli to go to war with, and the fact it takes years to get enough gold to really do anything. I just want to expand to become a Duchy so things will become easier for me.
    1. Have title claim.

2. Different religion group.

3. A successful plot.
    Quote Originally Posted by Markas View Post
    Hellheaven, sometimes you remind me of King Canute trying to hold back the tide, except without the winning parable.
    Quote Originally Posted by Diocle View Post
    Cameron is midway between Black Rage and .. European Union ..

Civitate

Hmmm, I'm not sure but I think that your situation is kinda difficult due to the fact that as a simple Count, you won't be able to utilize the invitation of other title claimants to claim another county. This means that you've got to expand through

1) Fabricating claims, a procedure which might take from a few months to a decade and more.
    2) Arranging marriages in order to get claims on other counties. In order to usurp a Duchy title, you need to have control over at least 50% of the duchy's de jure counties. Since my game is not open right now, I'm going to assume that the Duchy you want to claim has 4 de jure counties and you currently own one. That means that you have to capture at least one more to be able to usurp the Duchy title, which will give you instant de jure claims on the two other counties of the Duchy. A strategy for the marriage will be to marry your Count or his heir with the countess or her daughter of the county you want to acquire. Wait until the daughter dies and then you (or your son) will inherit the claim on the said county. Claim it by force and then you have the needed counties to usurp the Duchy title.
    "Steps to be taken in case Russia should be forced out of war considered. Various movements [of ] troops to and from different fronts necessary to meeting possible contingencies discussed. Conference also weighed political, economic, and moral effect both upon Central and Allied powers under most unfavorable aspect from Allied point of view. General conclusions reached were necessity for adoption of purely defensive attitude on all secondary fronts and withdrawing surplus troops for duty on western front. By thus strengthening western front [those attending] believed Allies could hold until American forces arrive in numbers sufficient to gain ascendancy."

Civitate

2) Arranging marriages in order to get claims on other counties. In order to usurp a Duchy title, you need to have control over at least 50% of the duchy's de jure counties. Since my game is not open right now, I'm going to assume that the Duchy you want to claim has 4 de jure counties and you currently own one.
    Actually the Duchy i want to take over is only made up of 2 counties. Mine and another. I can already usurp him, i just don't have the gold for it. It takes me years to just get 100 gold.

Gold is a problem here. I need more of it.
    Best/Worst quotes of TWC

Border Patrol's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Castle Infrastructure is key. Also, getting the two basic economy upgrades for your vassal's cities will give them enough coin to fully upgrade their cities from there. Teach a man to fish and all that. Does wonders for your tax revenues.
    Proud Nerdimus Maximus of the Trench Coat Mafia.

xcorps's Avatar Praefectus

Ok, so I bought it and I played it about 8 hours today. Really impressed with the depth so far, also really intimidated by the scope. I fiddled some with France, then I started as an Irish noble. I started unmarried and spent probably 40 or so minutes looking for a wife. Found a good one and made her Spymaster. Spent some time squaring the kids away, spent some time trying to work out how to get my nose into a royal family. Failed. Then I decided to give military expansion a go. That was a bad, bad idea. I got causes belli on my little neighbor to the north and declared war. Raised a levy and marched to take a county. Hey, there's no army at all defending! Yay! Lay seige...and an army of 600 comes marching right to my county, takes both cities, crushes my army, says thanks for the peace dude...and off it goes into the FOW.

Rather annoying, that.

So I'm popping out kids left and right, and trying to build up a decent court. Marrying off the annoying -108 like half brother to a 72 year old courtier in Normandy was hilarious. Especially since he immediatly started studying their economy.

Then some Byzantine strumpet I arranged a marriage to decides to plot against my heir. As the guards are on the way to cart her off to prison, the lovely hag sprouts smallpox. She dies in a cell at about the same time my heir and his two brothers pass on. Fortunately, the spymaster is a baby factory. Unfortunately, it seems that the not having good relations with the Pope really makes God angry, because Typhoid takes half the court and my Chancellor. He wasn't a very good diplomat, but we were fond of each other.

A few years go by and the heir takes the chair. The heir decides that he's better at war, and tries where the father failed. Off to war we go. Oddly enough, the results are exactly the same. The troops even fell into the same graves. It was so bad that my venerable enemy apologized to me for embarrassing me so badly.

I confide in my grandmother, who was an excellent Spymaster by the way. She advises that the best course of action at this point would be to poison the entire family, including the pages, ladies in waiting, horses and hounds, guardsmen, bishops and the two farmers who asked me to resolve the pig dispute at a grand feast.

I take her advice and start a new game.
    "Every idea is an incitement. It offers itself for belief and if believed it is acted on unless some other belief outweighs it or some failure of energy stifles the movement at its birth. The only difference between the expression of an opinion and an incitement in the narrower sense is the speaker's enthusiasm for the result. Eloquence may set fire to reason." -Oliver Wendell Holmes Jr.

nhytgbvfeco2's Avatar Praefectus

get mercenaries in your early wars, very useful. just make sure you keep enough money around to pay them off else they can either join the enemy or even invade you!

Civitate

Actually the Duchy i want to take over is only made up of 2 counties. Mine and another. I can already usurp him, i just don't have the gold for it. It takes me years to just get 100 gold.

Gold is a problem here. I need more of it.
    Get some marriages. You then get the option to receive prestige or gold. It's an easy way to earn some gold. Just make sure the marriages involve sons/daughters of counties or duchies.

Civitate

Get some marriages. You then get the option to receive prestige or gold. It's an easy way to earn some gold. Just make sure the marriages involve sons/daughters of counties or duchies.
    Got a question though. If my chancellor is able to fabricate claims on another county does that give me a caucus belli to invade them?
    Best/Worst quotes of TWC

Civitate

Got a question though. If my chancellor is able to fabricate claims on another county does that give me a caucus belli to invade them?
    Yes, but when the chancellor informs you that he managed to fabricate a claim, you'll have two choices. Either decline the claim (this will give you some piety) or accept the claim something that will cost you prestige and a large amount of money. I wouldn't recommend it for your case. Better to arrange some marriages (each marriage gives you the ability to claim some gold) and usurp the Ducal title.

got it yesterday.. Been playing non stop since

Ferdiad's Avatar Patricius

Remember to eat and sleep.