Page 49 of 313 FirstFirst ... 243940414243444546474849505152535455565758597499149 ... LastLast

Thread: Crusader Kings 2

Omar Nelson B.'s Avatar Senator

Default Re: Crusader Kings 2

I recommend getting the death causes mod. Really adds I think! Could have been depression, and accident, plague, illness or a festered wound.
    "Ours is a world of nuclear giants and ethical infants." Omar Bradley
    Pics

Hilarion's Avatar Vicarius

This has been my craziest and most challenging game yet. As a count in Apulia, I managed to become duke then King of Sicily, but with the Muslim hordes closing in around me I made the tragic mistake of ensuring my survival by swearing fealty to Byzantium. When they enacted Absolute Crown Authority, I hatched a plan to rebel and gain independence by assassinating the ruling emperor and therefore replacing him with his "imbecile" brother. Once I declared independence about 8 other duchies followed suit. I also formed an alliance with Hungary and they agreed to invade. Well, it's been at least 11 years and I'm the last one left. The last eleven years have seen all the other rebellions fail, Hungary wimp out, the Mongols invade and then make peace, and I'm still terrified of the ERE doom stacks that could arrive on my shores at any moment. I got the score up to +91% with the help of Hungary, then it bounced back to 70% when they left the alliance. Now it's at 93% but my reserves and cash supply are exhausted and the ERE is finally at peace with everyone but me and still refuses to recognize my independence. Gulp...

Moral of the story-- NEVER swear fealty to a superior power... take your chances with fighting the Muslims!
    Last edited by Hilarion; March 20, 2012 at 11:18 PM.

Ketzerfreund's Avatar Domesticus

That's the kind of story that makes this game so awesome! Hang in there!
    "Oh, to be truly happy! To be an imbecile." - Wobbly Headed Bob

Omar Nelson B.'s Avatar Senator

I, for the life of me, can't hold out in Spain against the Muslims. They are just too united and I just don't make enough cash to maintain Mercs for long enough. Oh well, fun games in Spain for about 50 years no matter what!
    "Ours is a world of nuclear giants and ethical infants." Omar Bradley
    Pics

John I Tzimisces's Avatar Get born again.

Does anyone else who plays a duchy or kingdom in de jure imperial byzantine territory ALWAYS vote to increase byzantine crown authority, if you don't happen to be a byz vassal? For instance, I'm the kingdom of italy and sicily, and the byzantine emperor has to ask me to increase crown authority since southern italy is de jure byzantine...well, I'm not his vassal, but I know if anything pisses off vassals, it's stupidly high crown authority...

hellheaven1987's Avatar Comes Domesticorum

Quote Originally Posted by Omar Nelson B. View Post
    I, for the life of me, can't hold out in Spain against the Muslims. They are just too united and I just don't make enough cash to maintain Mercs for long enough. Oh well, fun games in Spain for about 50 years no matter what!
    The crucial part of playing an Iberian kingdom is to assassin bunch of other kings at beginning; in that case you would inherit their kingdom and give a solid base against Muslim.
    Quote Originally Posted by Markas View Post
    Hellheaven, sometimes you remind me of King Canute trying to hold back the tide, except without the winning parable.
    Quote Originally Posted by Diocle View Post
    Cameron is midway between Black Rage and .. European Union ..

Big War Bird's Avatar Vicarius Provinciae

Quote Originally Posted by hellheaven1987 View Post
    The crucial part of playing an Iberian kingdom is to assassin bunch of other kings at beginning; in that case you would inherit their kingdom and give a solid base against Muslim.
    QFT

You gotta get nasty with with your brothers. In my Leon campaign my brothers in Galicia and Castille warred on each other. Galicia won and annexed Castille, but was so weakened that I snatched up both crowns with hardly a battle fought.
    As a teenager, I was taken to various houses and flats above takeaways in the north of England, to be beaten, tortured and raped over 100 times. I was called a “white slag” and “white ****” as they beat me.

-Ella Hill

Påsan's Avatar Hva i helvete?
    Citizen

Hi, I have made a review of Crusader Kings 2 in the Review section, don't be too cruel on me

http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=529406

Ketzerfreund's Avatar Domesticus

You're talking to CK2-players. Cruelty is our capital.
    "Oh, to be truly happy! To be an imbecile." - Wobbly Headed Bob

nhytgbvfeco2's Avatar Praefectus

a 7/10?! heresy!

Manuel I Komnenos's Avatar Rex Regum
    Civitate

Personally I'd give it a 10/10 and I'd describe it as the best game Paradox has released so far. But then again, I'm not new to the series and the learning curve didn't have an effect on me. Sometimes I understand how newcomers to the series feel. My first paradox game was Victoria (arguably the most difficult Paradox game ever released) plus it was in French (because I lived in a Francophone country in the year I bought it) a language I didn't understand. You can understand the pain in the arse that game was for me.
    Under the patronage of Emperor Maximinus Thrax
    "Steps to be taken in case Russia should be forced out of war considered. Various movements [of ] troops to and from different fronts necessary to meeting possible contingencies discussed. Conference also weighed political, economic, and moral effect both upon Central and Allied powers under most unfavorable aspect from Allied point of view. General conclusions reached were necessity for adoption of purely defensive attitude on all secondary fronts and withdrawing surplus troops for duty on western front. By thus strengthening western front [those attending] believed Allies could hold until American forces arrive in numbers sufficient to gain ascendancy."
    ~General Pershing, report to Washington, 26 July 1917

Quote Originally Posted by Big War Bird View Post
    You gotta get nasty with with your brothers. In my Leon campaign my brothers in Galicia and Castille warred on each other. Galicia won and annexed Castille, but was so weakened that I snatched up both crowns with hardly a battle fought.
    That would generally attract attention from Muslims however and you probably would end up dead soon or later. It is generally advise try to assassin the kings of other Iberian kingdoms without war and in the same time claim you vassals' land peacefully - wait until religious order show up then you can start pushing south without fear (although generally France and HRE would jump on Iberia around this time too).
    Hellheaven, sometimes you remind me of King Canute trying to hold back the tide, except without the winning parable.

Ferdiad's Avatar Patricius

Ya maybe the first 20-30 min of each new paradox game is kinda confusing then I get the hang of it. It helps that the UI stays roughly similar.

Hilarion's Avatar Vicarius

Ferdiad's Avatar Patricius

If that doesn't describe CK II nothing does.

Border Patrol's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Is there any way to keep an angry and larger power from claiming your lands and invading? Oh and does anyone know a way to keep your heirs from being totally awful? My kingdom usually runs pretty fantastically until my heir takes the reigns and half the country rebels.
    Proud Nerdimus Maximus of the Trench Coat Mafia.

Cahoma's Avatar Tribunus
    Sooooomewheeeeere ooover the raaaaainboooow

Assassination is the answer to both you questions.

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Oda Nobunaga View Post
    ... Cahoma himself is racist ...

Quote Originally Posted by Border Patrol View Post
    Is there any way to keep an angry and larger power from claiming your lands and invading?
    Be more tougher than them, or if you really have no hope, ask Pope to excommunicate that Christian ruler before summoning religious orders to defend yourself.

Oh and does anyone know a way to keep your heirs from being totally awful? My kingdom usually runs pretty fantastically until my heir takes the reigns and half the country rebels.
    Well, the best way is to concentrate the education of your heir on diplomacy and stewardship; you can ignore other traits unless you want a Crusader King. Next find your heir a wife that has high diplomacy or stewardship.

Manuel I Komnenos's Avatar Rex Regum
    Civitate

Is there any way to keep an angry and larger power from claiming your lands and invading? Oh and does anyone know a way to keep your heirs from being totally awful? My kingdom usually runs pretty fantastically until my heir takes the reigns and half the country rebels.
    1. ALWAYS educate the child yourself. Best to educate both the first and the second child in case one of them dies prematurely. By doing the job yourself, you ensure that the heir will take the best traits. Go for the green ones and try not to take traits like Cruel and Craven. They are way negative.

2. In the case that your Kingdom is not huge and your vassals are pretty much friendly towards you, go for elective succession. In case your firstborn is a stutter, lisp dwarf hunchback, you can always nominate your second child as the successor. The Elective system also makes your vassals happy, giving them something like +10 or 20 opinion towards you.

3. Even if your heir is mature, it's best to avoid handing him any land. In several games, although he was raised perfectly, he managed to get himself several negative traits while ruling his own county.
    Last edited by Manuel I Komnenos; March 21, 2012 at 06:17 PM.
    Under the patronage of Emperor Maximinus Thrax
    "Steps to be taken in case Russia should be forced out of war considered. Various movements [of ] troops to and from different fronts necessary to meeting possible contingencies discussed. Conference also weighed political, economic, and moral effect both upon Central and Allied powers under most unfavorable aspect from Allied point of view. General conclusions reached were necessity for adoption of purely defensive attitude on all secondary fronts and withdrawing surplus troops for duty on western front. By thus strengthening western front [those attending] believed Allies could hold until American forces arrive in numbers sufficient to gain ascendancy."
    ~General Pershing, report to Washington, 26 July 1917

Border Patrol's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Abyssinia is elective gravelkind. I'm trying to find people to help me assassinate my family but no one likes my second king it seems. Not even his wife.
    Proud Nerdimus Maximus of the Trench Coat Mafia.