Page 45 of 313 FirstFirst ... 203536373839404142434445464748495051525354557095145 ... LastLast

Thread: Crusader Kings 2

hellheaven1987's Avatar Comes Domesticorum

Default Re: Crusader Kings 2

Quote Originally Posted by Manuel I Komnenos View Post
    As for the starting day and Byzantium, it's kinda surprising that it is the Anglo-centric 1066 instead of 1025 or even earlier. Byzantium underwent huge changes from the death of Basil II (when Byzantium was arguably the most powerful state not only in the Eastern Mediterranean but in Europe as well with a professional army of over 40,000 men and a great economy) to 1066. The successors of Basil II were some old relatives of his, a lot of women and some incompetent dynasties which neglected the army due to the need of additional funds in order to support their wealthy life and lower the pressure towards their friends, the military aristocracy. Whoever said that in 1066 Byzantium basically sucks is not entirely wrong. Also, don't forget that Byzantium lost another battle prior to Manzikert against the Turks, the Battle of Kapetron.
    Because, if you notice, Basil II is still ruling Byzantium in 1066 if you start the game in 1066. Generally he also lived for a decade in game time before die too.
    Quote Originally Posted by Markas View Post
    Hellheaven, sometimes you remind me of King Canute trying to hold back the tide, except without the winning parable.
    Quote Originally Posted by Diocle View Post
    Cameron is midway between Black Rage and .. European Union ..

Manuel I Komnenos's Avatar Rex Regum
    Civitate

Quote Originally Posted by hellheaven1987 View Post
    Because, if you notice, Basil II is still ruling Byzantium in 1066 if you start the game in 1066. Generally he also lived for a decade in game time before die too.
    You're kidding?

I haven't checked but my sources tell me he actually died in 1025.
    Under the patronage of Emperor Maximinus Thrax
    "Steps to be taken in case Russia should be forced out of war considered. Various movements [of ] troops to and from different fronts necessary to meeting possible contingencies discussed. Conference also weighed political, economic, and moral effect both upon Central and Allied powers under most unfavorable aspect from Allied point of view. General conclusions reached were necessity for adoption of purely defensive attitude on all secondary fronts and withdrawing surplus troops for duty on western front. By thus strengthening western front [those attending] believed Allies could hold until American forces arrive in numbers sufficient to gain ascendancy."
    ~General Pershing, report to Washington, 26 July 1917

hellheaven1987's Avatar Comes Domesticorum

You're kidding?

I haven't checked but my sources tell me he actually died in 1025.
    Probably not the actual Basil II we know historically but I am 100% sure not it is not Constantine X.
    Quote Originally Posted by Markas View Post
    Hellheaven, sometimes you remind me of King Canute trying to hold back the tide, except without the winning parable.
    Quote Originally Posted by Diocle View Post
    Cameron is midway between Black Rage and .. European Union ..

Ferdiad's Avatar Patricius

Quote Originally Posted by hellheaven1987 View Post
    Probably not the actual Basil II we know historically but I am 100% sure not it is not Constantine X.
    Its Constantine X....

Jezza93's Avatar Centenarius

When people said the Byzantine empire was OP,I dismissed them as butthurt.

But I'm playing them and during the 20 year reign of the first emperor I took all the territory up to the caspian sea,and the caspian gates,all seaside territory down to Tiberias and almost all of Syria and well,basically making my way to recapturing old roman territories to the East. And it's only now that I'm taking one seljuk territory in the middle of my territory (Nsibin) that I'm finally taking some pain. It's my 2nd emperor by the way. 12000 persians have come to defend Nsibin,far more than I expected so half my army was taken out rather soon. Now I've gotten about 15000 men,2000 of which are the Varangian guard, but then three duchesses rebel robbing me of 2000 men. And when 13000 of my men opposed the 11000 persians.....I lost the battle.

So no the Byzantines aren't OP because they got their just deserts.

Lawrence of Arabia's Avatar Citizen

Overpowered? Probably not. However, it is far too stable. There may be a lot of civil wars in their realm but it always seems to go back to the status quo unless the player intervenes. When I completed my game as the King of Armenia (started as the Duke of Armenia) it took 275 years for any state to successfully win its independence from the Byzantine Empire and that is because that state was me. When the game came to an end the Byzantine Empire included this:

I bet they would have grown further if I wouldn't have been part of the Empire. I never assisted the Emperor in civil wars, and only sought to undermine his power by taking as much land as I could. You rarely see any states win independence from any of the empires.
    Quote Originally Posted by Empi Rapper View Post
    Go on Farnan, go and help those despicable thugs you call our soldiers to kill some of the poorest people on the planet.
    Quote Originally Posted by Empi Rapper View Post
    Don't you realize that it is a good thing that so many British soldiers have already been killed as punishment for the invasion?

Ferdiad's Avatar Patricius

When the Emperor can call 80k+ men eaily and a few dukes rebel its always doomed to fail.

Civitate

@Lawrence of Arabia how did you make the map graphic?
    "Steps to be taken in case Russia should be forced out of war considered. Various movements [of ] troops to and from different fronts necessary to meeting possible contingencies discussed. Conference also weighed political, economic, and moral effect both upon Central and Allied powers under most unfavorable aspect from Allied point of view. General conclusions reached were necessity for adoption of purely defensive attitude on all secondary fronts and withdrawing surplus troops for duty on western front. By thus strengthening western front [those attending] believed Allies could hold until American forces arrive in numbers sufficient to gain ascendancy."

Jom's Avatar A Place of Greater Safety
    Content Emeritus spy of the council

@Lawrence of Arabia how did you make the map graphic?
    Press "f10".

"For what it’s worth: it’s never too late to be whoever you want to be. I hope you live a life you’re proud of, and if you find that you’re not, I hope you have the strength to start all over again."

Hilarion's Avatar Vicarius

Patch 1.04 has been released.

Civitate

Quote Originally Posted by Jom View Post
    Press "f10".
    Oh, thanks a lot Jom!

Cahoma's Avatar Tribunus
    Sooooomewheeeeere ooover the raaaaainboooow

Quote Originally Posted by Paradox
    Next patch is 1.05. It is a major content patch which will be released together with our first big DLC.
    Sweeeeet!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Oda Nobunaga View Post
    ... Cahoma himself is racist ...

Quote Originally Posted by Glorious Cahoma View Post
    Sweeeeet!
    Yeah I noticed that too.

ccllnply's Avatar Tribunus

It's not even that the Empires are too stable. In one of my games as the Duke of Adrianopolis (I think), all of Greece, Bulgaria and most of Asia Minor rebelled at the same time and then I joined in. I quickly became overwhelmed when the Emperor launched a 16,000 strong army at me and I just had 2,000 levies. My neighbours (including Greece and Bulgaria) only had 5,000 combined and they weren't helping me. Needless to say, the Emperor won.

Even when the emperors are defeated, it's just in a war to overthrow him and he's just replaced and the empire is just reunited

nhytgbvfeco2's Avatar Praefectus

i don't know, in my ireland game the byzantium pretty much died.

Was doing my thing as the comte de Thouars, making strategic marriages and setting up to eventually become duc de Poitiers, suddenly the HRE and England invade France all at once, complete chaos reigns, and now I'm vassal of the HRE along with the rest of Aquitaine?? Is independence/returning to France impossible or what? The king of France must have majorly ed up for this to happen.
    Last edited by Hilarion; March 09, 2012 at 02:10 PM.

Jom's Avatar A Place of Greater Safety
    Content Emeritus spy of the council

Quote Originally Posted by Hilarion View Post
    Was doing my thing as the comte de Thouars, making strategic marriages and setting up to eventually become duc de Poitiers, suddenly the HRE and England invade France all at once, complete chaos reigns, and now I'm vassal of the HRE along with the rest of Aquitaine?? Is independence/returning to France impossible or what? The king of France must have majorly ed up for this to happen.
    You can always declare independence from the HRE if the Emperor is your liege.

"For what it’s worth: it’s never too late to be whoever you want to be. I hope you live a life you’re proud of, and if you find that you’re not, I hope you have the strength to start all over again."

Quote Originally Posted by Jom View Post
    You can always declare independence from the HRE if the Emperor is your liege.
    Yes but I imagine I'd get stomped on pretty quickly if I tried any of that, considering the enormous blob that is the HRE.
    Last edited by Hilarion; March 09, 2012 at 08:17 PM.

Ketzerfreund's Avatar Domesticus

Wait for the HRE to fight a major war against anyone and take your chance when they have used up their troops and are waiting for them to replenish.
    Wars are easy when your enemies' units consist of only up to 50 men.
    "Oh, to be truly happy! To be an imbecile." - Wobbly Headed Bob

Civitate

Quote Originally Posted by Hilarion View Post
    Yes but I imagine I'd get stomped on pretty quickly if I tried any of that, considering the enormous blob that is the HRE.
    Happened to me when I was playing with the Kingdom of Bohemia but I used another strategy. I started a plot to remove the HRE Emperor but few people joined. You've gotta wait until the Emperor dies and is succeeded by someone else. As it usually happens, the successor will not be as respected as his predecessor (for example he gets like -10 for short reign) therefore, many dukes will join your cause. The power of my plot had reached some 200%. It was so much that when I asked the HRE Emperor to give up his crown to me, he accepted without even fighting a war.